Lunch and Breakfast in MDR or Specialty

Barry ATL

@Ken-ATL and I have finally took the plunge and booked a 11/28/21 cruise on The Caribbean Princess.  Now comes half the fun of a  cruise which is planning and figuring out all of the details.  😀

For this cruise we really do not plan to get off the ship.  

What is served during breakfast and lunch as a sit down, table service meal?  One of our best memories of the Sapphire Princess (the first year she sailed) was having breakfast and lunch each day in the MDR.  Even on port days.  What should we expect on the Caribbean Princess?

What to expect is the unexpected.  No one knows for sure how the Pandemic will affect food services on Princess ships (or any other ship).  

Sounds like a good plan to take a cruise to no where.  I liked the Caribbean Princess.  There will be no MDR service for lunch on port days.  Your other options will be the buffet/Salty Dog Grill/Slice/International Cafe.  The CB had a noodle shop at the very back of the buffet that not many knew about.  Room Service is a nice option on port days.

Breakfast service is always nice.  The hours will change on port days (so you won't be able to "sleep" in).

Unless you are in a full suite, there is not a "specialty" restaurant available for breakfast.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry ATL said:

What is served during breakfast and lunch as a sit down, table service meal?  One of our best memories of the Sapphire Princess (the first year she sailed) was having breakfast and lunch each day in the MDR.  Even on port days.  What should we expect on the Caribbean Princess?

Breakfast is served each morning in one of the DR's. On the Caribbean believe it is in the Coral DR deck 6, mid ship. Look on the back page of the Princess Patter to confirm location. Lunch is served in the DR on sea days only. The DR is closed on port days for lunch. You will have to select another lunch location, International Cafe, World Marketplace Buffet, Salty Dog Grill, Slices, room service.

All kinds of breakfast selections are available for breakfast from what you find on the menu and also what is not on the menu. For example scrambled eggs with sides, French toast, just ask. For lunch the menu changes.

If you are in a full suite you can have the special breakfasts in one of the specialty restaurants. You can also have lunch (on sea days) and dinner in the Club Class section of the DR.

If you are in a Club Class mini suite then you can have all your DR meals in the Club Class section of the DR. 

6 hours ago, Barry ATL said:

@Ken-ATL and I have finally took the plunge and booked a 11/28/21 cruise on The Caribbean Princess.  Now comes half the fun of a  cruise which is planning and figuring out all of the details.  😀

Here’s what I do know. The MDR’s have always been a sit down meal. Of course things could change. 

From my reading & YouTube reports here’s what may happen in the MDR. 

Temperature taken before you go inside. Hand sanitizer required. 

No menus automaticity given out. There will be a smart code on the table which you read with the reader on your phone. If no one is able to do this printed menus will be available. Remember that any menus given out must be destroyed after use. 

In the past the NDR was closed on Port Days. 

In the buffet you will be required to use a hand washing station, stand in front of a machine for a temperature check plus the hand sanitizer. With the reduction of ship staff the buffet my be closed at night. 

This is what is happening of other cruise ships that have started to sail & I would expect Princess to do the same. 

I usually eat my breakfast & lunch in the MDR as I enjoy the sit down service. 

Tom😀

Since you are booked on CB be aware that the buffet extends all the way aft. Many don't seem to realize that the aft portion - which is specialty dining at night and "different dining" at lunch time - is also part of the breakfast buffet.  Back there is where you get your "made to order" eggs and omelets. The main part of the buffet has already-cooked eggs. I like my fried eggs over medium and can order them that way in the aft portion of the buffet. I can fill a cup with a bunch of different fillings, hand the cup to the line person, and get an omelet filled with my personal selections delivered to my table. It's much nice than the "regular" portion of the buffet. Also, at lunch that part has totally different items such as a ramen bar and a burrito bar. Lunch is included in these venues. Dinner in these venues is an extra cost but only something like $12 or so. There is Planks (barbecue) and Steamers (seafood). There is also some seating just aft of the food area with some small tables. I've been known to sit there to read. There is a door right there that goes out to the aft bar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donswife said:

Depending on port times, the MDR is sometimes open for lunch on port days. I will be curious to see if they start using them more to reduce crowding.

Since we really don't know if the ports/times listed on the itinerary are real or not, it is all a guess.  We are the people who will get up early on port days, even though we are not going ashore, so we can have a leisurely sit down breakfast in the MDR.

A lot of what happens with food service will be dependent on what capacity the ship sails.  If it is 50 or 60%, then our food options will probably not be as broad.

• Like 1

By the time we sail all the recommendations will be updated. This week it was announced that cleaning and groceries was not necessary because it spreads via airbourne droplets. It went on to state it can be spread by touch but it was unlikely and no cases have been reported of this. Let's wait and see what CDC guidelines the ships will follow when they resume sailings. I'm told April 1 2021 is the date Princess anticipates restarting up their cruises.

In the old days, I date myself, one had assigned seating in the dining room for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Of course you had the option to go to the buffet, but usually your waiter, who knew you by first name, would ask where you were if you did not show up for the meals.  Of course the waiter would do anything and everything to make sure you had what you wanted for your meal.

Perhaps they will go back to encouraging people to eat in the dining room for all of their meals.  Probably will be a lot safer. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

In the old days, I date myself, one had assigned seating in the dining room for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  

I remember this in the early 90's. On our very first cruise. We never ate breakfast or lunch in the DR. On disembarkation day we showed up for breakfast (late) since the buffet line was closed. The waiter was very surprised. 

On 12/29/2020 at 9:00 PM, donswife said:

Depending on port times, the MDR is sometimes open for lunch on port days. I will be curious to see if they start using them more to reduce crowding.

I'm with you, since we pax are unlikely to be handling food or serving utensils in the near future the staff required to serve could probably do a better job in the MDR setting.  Operating the MDRs more than has been usual in the recent past would be a great way to spread people out and make best use of staff.

We very much prefer sitting down to a proper meal and being served in any case so, fingers crossed, this is a daily option.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:16 AM, Barry ATL said:

Breakfast is served everyday of the cruise. Lunch is only served in the MDR on sea days . As for choice of food, The buffet has a better and larger selection at breakfast and lunch. MDR breakfast and lunch is restricted to a few common items.

1 hour ago, Kamloops50 said:

Breakfast is served everyday of the cruise. Lunch is only served in the MDR on sea days . As for choice of food, The buffet has a better and larger selection at breakfast and lunch. MDR breakfast and lunch is restricted to a few common items.

But....the the food in the MDR is always hot.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

But....the the food in the MDR is always hot.  

Except for supper . I never really got a hot meal for breakfast or lunch in the MDR. Even hot soup (except for French Onion ) is usually not very hot. Never see any steam coming off the soup. The choice in the MDR is usually limited to five or six items. 

4 hours ago, Kamloops50 said:

What about the pub lunch?  I have read about it being serviced at The Crown Grill and saw a mention of it being in the Wheel House Bar.  I saw a meat pie I would love to have.  😁

53 minutes ago, Barry ATL said:

What about the pub lunch?  I have read about it being serviced at The Crown Grill and saw a mention of it being in the Wheel House Bar.  I saw a meat pie I would love to have.  😁

On a 7-day cruise, the Pub Lunch is usually offered on one or two sea days.

5 hours ago, Barry ATL said:

In the past it was offered. Location, Crown Grill or Wheelhouse Bar depends on the ship. On Royal Class ships it was in the Crown Grill/Wheelhouse Bar which are adjacent to each other. On Grand Class with large Wheelhouse Bars it's has been there. There are a few different menus, all of which include fish & chips. Shepard's pie is also on one of the menus.

5 hours ago, Barry ATL said:

Personally, I'm not a fan.  Mostly that's a comment on the venue which is generally a lounge (Often Wheelhouse) which is less than ideal for food service.  The wait is usually long to get in, service middling at best, and choices limited though if they have something you may love . . . 

Trying to get mushy peas to my mouth from a cocktail table is nothing I'm willing to line up for.

Another alternative lunch to watch for (on ships without Alfredo's), is "Alfredo's at Sabatini's" a pizza lunch served in the Italian venue.  This also draws large crowds but service and food quality are typically great and for me worth the wait.  A better choice IMHO.