No OBC with TA?

This is our first time booking a cruise with a TA in many, many years.  I noticed when she submitted her proposal last night, there was no OBC.  Is this the “new normal”?  Just curious...  We’re still going to use her for this trip, because I really like her (she is SUPER responsive, which is what I’m looking for, in case we need to do a lift and shift or something).

1 minute ago, vacationlover_mn said:

This is our first time booking a cruise with a TA in many, many years.  I noticed when she submitted her proposal last night, there was no OBC.  Is this the “new normal”?  Just curious...  We’re still going to use her for this trip, because I really like her (she is SUPER responsive, which is what I’m looking for, in case we need to do a lift and shift or something).

Every TA is different in what they will offer in the terms of OBC.  There is no standard.  If you are looking for OBC you should go with one of the on line companies or big box stores.

• Like 1

Most of the time I book direct but the last cruise which happened to be a Royal Caribbean cruise I use my big box warehouse store and received $250 OBC (not a shopping card). I never spoke to the same agent twice and there were long hold times when calling for inquiries and making final payment. Whoever answered the phone was helpful and in the end there wasn't any problem. However during these uncertain times I would forgo any OBC or gifts as long as I was confident in the service. Sounds like you are happy with your TA so stick with him or her.

$250 OBC was unusually high for a 9 day cruise in an obstructed balcony but it was a special deal that they were offering during wave season. All the other times I wasn't offered more than $50 OBC. It wasn't worth it to give up control of my reservation so I booked through the cruise line. Also if you book with an agency make sure they don't have their own cancelation fees. My big box agency charged $100 cancelation fee on top of anything Royal Caribbean was charging. I only booked 6 months out so we were definitely going and wasn't afraid of forfeiting additional funds. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

My TA gives some OBC if booked thru a group but I don't think that they give any if you are not in a group booking

Same for me I believe. 
I am not using a TA for OBC though, the customer service is key with me...which in my case has been outstanding! I am always presented with better pricing for a refundable deposit than non-refundable listed on Royal’s site, so this is better than some OBC IMHO. The creative booking for super deals is also worth it for me. 
To OP, if you are happy with their service, I wouldn’t worry about OBC. 

12 minutes ago, OACAggie said:

Same for me I believe. 
I am not using a TA for OBC though, the customer service is key with me...which in my case has been outstanding! I am always presented with better pricing for a refundable deposit than non-refundable listed on Royal’s site, so this is better than some OBC IMHO. The creative booking for super deals is also worth it for me. 
To OP, if you are happy with their service, I wouldn’t worry about OBC. 

My TA is also outstanding!!!  I was one of those people that did not want to give up control of my bookings but I'm over that now.😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Since OBC comes out of the TA’s commission, it depends on how big or small the agency is, and how many customers book cruises through them. My TA is also my friend, and right now there are only 2 of them.  I have never received OBC, and that’s fine with me. I would rather she go to bat for me, if issues ever arise. For me personally, this is much more important than taking money away from her. 

For larger agencies, that have hundreds and hundreds of clients, it’s probably not that big of a deal.

• Like 2

We have been using our TA years and years now (smaller company- only books cruises) and they have been a blessing in so many instances, especially in lifting, shifting, FCC's, feedback and dealing with the cruise line directly. I am a planner by nature (it's actually my job), but our agent just makes everything so seamless and I don't have to deal with the additional calls in knowing she will follow through within hours, even with a slight time difference. And she ever- so patiently acknowledges my "planner" emails LOL 

She has also been most generous to continue to extend OBC's for all our staterooms (we book anywhere from 1-3 rooms pending the cruise). 

I couldn't imagine booking our next cruise vacation without her!

• Like 1

We used to use a TA that gave us OBC based on the per thousand cost of the cruise. Unfortunately the only thing we ever got from them was the OBC (and half the time they had to send us a check after the cruise because they forgot to let the cruise line know that there was OBC from them), their service was virtually non-existent, and we ultimately decided that it was easier for us to book directly.