Breakaway Canada/New England Sept 2020

RunBikeCruiseDC

I am also excited that you have invented the time machine.

Please also bring us back to 2018 or 2019 so we can all sail on a cruise! 🤣

27 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

I hope your date (Sept 2020) is a typo, or I have some very bad news for you.

It should be Sep 2021 which is shown in the OP's signature. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

I am also excited that you have invented the time machine.

Please also bring us back to 2018 or 2019 so we can all sail on a cruise! 🤣

It should be Sep 2021 which is shown in the OP's signature. 

Ha,ha - good catch!  That's for this year - 2021.  My brain is fried after last year..

• Like 1

Don't get too excited.

I have an April Bahamas booked.  Waiting for the cancellation.

And then I'm gonna book Oct NYC-Canada.  We invited out son (not a cruiser) to join us.

HE called me to tell me "Who says Canada's gonna let us in?"

I'm anticipating yet another cancellation...but can't blame me for trying (especially since no $$$ is involved).

• Like 1

I did this route September 2018 on the Escape and am hoping to repeat it again in September 2023.

My favorite part was Bar Harbor and a long excursion that was a boatride on the river for several hours.

Halifax was great too. It rained in Portland so i didn't do as much. To be honest, I didn't like St Johns that much and there was a cruise last year that skipped this port and spent more time in Bar Harbor.

Not to be a downer, but I'll be very surprised if any cruise is allowed to call to port in Canada this calendar year.  We are notorious for being risk-averse to things.  I'm optimistic I'll be able to take a transatlantic flight in November without a 14 day quarantine period, but even that is going to be cutting it close.  As of now, all of Atlantic Canada is under a tight lock-down which prevents Canadians from even travelling domestically to those places and it has been that way for 9 months now.  I think summer 2022 is the likely resumption of Alaska and Atlantic Canada cruises.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dolfan1980 said:

Not to be a downer, but I'll be very surprised if any cruise is allowed to call to port in Canada this calendar year.  We are notorious for being risk-averse to things.  I'm optimistic I'll be able to take a transatlantic flight in November without a 14 day quarantine period, but even that is going to be cutting it close.  As of now, all of Atlantic Canada is under a tight lock-down which prevents Canadians from even travelling domestically to those places and it has been that way for 9 months now.  I think summer 2022 is the likely resumption of Alaska and Atlantic Canada cruises.

I didn't realize it was that strict.   We purposely booked when we did due to the 15 day cancellation thru Oct 31 with hopes that we can get vaccinated before then.  We used cruise next voucher for our deposit.  If things stay as is, we will cancel if we don't get vaccinated by mid-August.   I would have loved to book the cruise to the Canary Islands from Lisbon in November for my birthday as that's one of my dream cruises but too many variables with flights to Europe. 

@dolfan1980 I have to agree.  We've just been notified by the federal gov't that our border will remain closed to non-essential travel for another month (Feb 21st).  Our province is under a lockdown as well, at least the major part of it which is southern Ontario.  

Likelihood of border opening before end of the year is perhaps 50% and that's just a guestimation. 

9 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

@dolfan1980 I have to agree.  We've just been notified by the federal gov't that our border will remain closed to non-essential travel for another month (Feb 21st).  Our province is under a lockdown as well, at least the major part of it which is southern Ontario.  

Likelihood of border opening before end of the year is perhaps 50% and that's just a guestimation. 

As far as I know, Canada got like the lowest rater in Americas and one of the lowest in the world.. how come is that? CLosed boarders? Vaccine? People being very smart? I thought of moving to Canada many year ago.. feeling like its the very right time right now =D 

Just now, Roger88 said:

As far as I know, Canada got like the lowest rater in Americas and one of the lowest in the world.. how come is that? CLosed boarders? Vaccine? People being very smart? I thought of moving to Canada many year ago.. feeling like its the very right time right now =D 

Not so much anymore.  We were doing very well, keeping our numbers low, staying home, wearing masks, however, that all changed when the lockdown was reduced.  The borders have remained closed yet many continue to be allowed in when having been out of country for extended periods.  

Our gov't is very protective of it's citizens, especially with the terrible toll this virus has taken on our most vulnerable and most senior citizens.   

We have only begun to get the vaccines out to those who need them they tell us that we should all have our first vaccine by end of Sept/Oct.  Our borders might open in the summer sometime but depending on how much our death numbers increase they may be shut down again.  Who knows? Not me that's for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Not so much anymore.  We were doing very well, keeping our numbers low, staying home, wearing masks, however, that all changed when the lockdown was reduced.  The borders have remained closed yet many continue to be allowed in when having been out of country for extended periods.  

Our gov't is very protective of it's citizens, especially with the terrible toll this virus has taken on our most vulnerable and most senior citizens.   

We have only begun to get the vaccines out to those who need them they tell us that we should all have our first vaccine by end of Sept/Oct.  Our borders might open in the summer sometime but depending on how much our death numbers increase they may be shut down again.  Who knows? Not me that's for sure. 

Thanks....you're confirming my son's opinion NOT to book for Oct 2021.  Looks like it will be 2022 for us!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

I didn't realize it was that strict.   We purposely booked when we did due to the 15 day cancellation thru Oct 31 with hopes that we can get vaccinated before then.  We used cruise next voucher for our deposit.  If things stay as is, we will cancel if we don't get vaccinated by mid-August.   I would have loved to book the cruise to the Canary Islands from Lisbon in November for my birthday as that's one of my dream cruises but too many variables with flights to Europe. 

As it stands, we are under the strictest measures now that we've had since the start of this whole thing. While hopefully at lot might change over the summer as vaccines roll out, as of now in terms of vaccination efforts, we are actually behind the US as far as I know.  As of yesterday, 1% of the population has received one dose, with still plans to have everyone done who wants one by September, but who knows if they will meet that target.  I think if someone was planning to visit Canada by late fall I would say there's a 50/50 chance the borders will be open, perhaps with rapid testing requirements of some kind in place by then (rapid tests are not valid for entry to Canada at the moment even for Canadian citizens flying in).  I think the chances cruises will be allowed is slim, especially given that cruise season here is typically in high season in summer/early fall, I suspect a full cancellation of the season is most likely unfortunately.  Eastern Canada has the tightest entry requirements of everyone, I cannot visit that region as a Canadian right now and almost all domestic flights are even canceled.

Our 10 year anniversary is this fall, and I would prefer to go on the Breakaway this year, but just booked the same Canada trip for October 2022.  Love going out of NY and don't have to fly.  In 2022, it's on the Joy, though, and I may end up cancelling and doing a rebook for something else.  I think the cruise will go in 2022, mind you, but I didn't research the ship enough until now and just realized that the Joy doesn't have the thermal suite (which is, legit, my favorite thing ever on a ship).  I just thought all the Breakaway+ ships had it (shows what happens when you assume).  

Edited by jtvmi77