Good News - CDC issues mask order to (hopefully) allow cruising to resume!

ScratchTheRat

2 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I do live in a big city but in the quiet area on the outskirts. I don't drive during COVID as there's rarely need to. We're only allowed out to exercise and are not allowed to drive to do that, the exercise has to start and end at your home.

As such, I put my mask on, go for my 30 min walk, pop into the supermarket to get groceries if needed, then walk home. That's my outdoor activity!

I couldn’t possibly go for 30 minute walk that included a grocery store stop! Never tried walking to the grocery store but Google maps says it would take 1.5 hours. Hence me, and everyone else here, drives everywhere. There’s little foot traffic because of that if you do go for a walk. Since the only people walking are doing it to jusy to walk with no real destination.

2 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I think we could easily just reply to every post lately with:

"We all cruise for different reasons (breathing sea air, food, ports, drinking) and we all have different views on possible rules for cruise restarts, but when cruising does restart, we can all decide individually if the new rules will suit us or not and if we believe we'd still get a great cruise, if so, great, if not, then wait."

No, no, no! This is Cruise Critic. Everybody has to agree with me or else! My view is the only one that matters, I'm right and everyone else is wrong! /s

🤣😆😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I couldn’t possibly go for 30 minute walk that included a grocery store stop! Never tried walking to the grocery store but Google maps says it would take 1.5 hours. Hence me, and everyone else here, drives everywhere. There’s little foot traffic because of that if you do go for a walk. Since the only people walking are doing it to jusy to walk with no real destination.

Ah 🙂

I did find when visiting the US that everyone drives everywhere. It's crazy to me but I suppose different cultures. 

I live by multiple supermarkets, some 24 hour, a train station just behind my apartment, pretty well connected I suppose

27 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

No, no, no! This is Cruise Critic. Everybody has to agree with me or else! My view is the only one that matters, I'm right and everyone else is wrong! /s

🤣😆😂

Haha, I love you my man. Your posts always give me a smile 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Your profile says Cincinnati, is that right? What neighborhood, if I may ask? I used to live in Hyde Park.

13 hours ago, deefer said:

The most important part of a “cruising” vacation for me is the ports. We pay a huge amount of money to be able to unpack once and see various parts of the world.  The breeze from the ocean makes it a pleasant way to travel from place to place but for us this is no where near the most important part of such a vacation.  I have yet to lay on a lounge chair in the sun - and we have done 14 cruises.  We pick itineraries with very few sea days, (I personally find sea days boring) which is why we would have no problem cruising wearing a mask as it would do little to diminish the experience for us. 

Now, if we the new regulations state we have to do NCL excursions only (and I understand why that may end up being the case) then we may reconsider cruising as a part of our vacation experience.   Good quality small group tours are also an important part of the cruising vacation for us and NCL excursions do not meet this criteria.

That’s the beauty of this - if it won’t work for me then I won’t do it. But I will not assume it will not still be a great experience for someone else. 

I totally agree.  I can deal with masks & social distancing, but if we're limited to cruise line shore excursions, we'll have to reconsider the value we're receiving for our money. We are very fond of NCL, but American Cruise Lines & other river boat cruise lines are great at providing good quality small group tours (often included in the fare), and we have a cruise on ACL and another on American Queen lined up for 2022.  One other thing I will not do is be tested once I've been vaccinated (and, no, it's not proven that you can still infect others once you're vaccinated); that's why it would be great if it was a requirement that all passengers have gotten the vaccine.  I had to have a PCR test before some minor surgery and it was horrible, not something I would willingly do again.  We won't sail until the testing requirement is withdrawn.

On 1/31/2021 at 7:42 AM, ScratchTheRat said:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24289-cdc-order-to-require-passengers-to-wear-masks-on-ships.html

Here the CDC say as of midnight tomorrow, masks will be needed to be worn on all cruise ships. This is GOOD news in my opinion as it shows they are finding ways to get the cruise industry moving.

Soon ❤️

We'll most likely do 1 cruise for the people-tipping show (human version of cow-tipping), as we all navigate 95 degree heat w/ a mask.  Feel sorry for the medical staff.

I can't imagine those accustomed to 20 degree weather this time of year enjoying the experience as much as we will.  I assume we'll be 'one-and-done', but never know till we try.

20 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

I believe the covid vaccine’s package inserts aren’t much different from those of most vaccines.  Every vaccine has risks & benefits and, sadly, there are always a small number of people who have adverse reactions.  However, through vaccines, we’ve been able to virtually eliminate many deadly & disfiguring diseases.  Smallpox, another virus, was a painful & disfiguring disease that permanently scarred not only the skin but also the victims’ internal organs.   Many sufferers went blind and fully half died.  Thanks to the development of the vaccine, the virus was eradicated in 1980 due to everyone being vaccinated.  So, yes, I do have hope for this vaccine.  I know that opinions about it vary widely, even among those in the medical community, but I’m blessed to have the benefit of my Doctor husband’s knowledge & experience, and I know that he wouldn’t advise me to do something that he thought would harm me.  Here’s a great explanation of the vaccine & answers to a lot of concerns from a scientist at a company that does DNA testing if you’re interested: https://www.crigenetics.com/blog/covid-19-vaccines-everything-you-need-to-know?utm_campaign=January blogs&utm_source=email&utm_medium=Email

I know you're offering a thoughtful response. And I read your attachment as well. My level of skepticism is heightened for many reasons. But what we are becoming and accepting as reasonable in our society is beyond my comprehension. It's not just about a mask or a vaccine. These interventions are escalating. It seems one questions everything or one questions nothing.

Our Canadian government's new international travel restrictions brought in last week has cemented my notion to question everything. The end justifies the means doesn't fly with me... pardon the pun. When I hear our prime minister use the words 'government designated facility' in regards to quarantine, and seemingly this poses no red flag moments to our citizens... are we all programmed to think we're all big balls of virus? Are we all that fearful? This is insane. Would we have reached this point if we didn't have 24/7 fear mongering media? Absolute insanity! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

I know you're offering a thoughtful response. And I read your attachment as well. My level of skepticism is heightened for many reasons. But what we are becoming and accepting as reasonable in our society is beyond my comprehension. It's not just about a mask or a vaccine. These interventions are escalating. It seems one questions everything or one questions nothing.

Our Canadian government's new international travel restrictions brought in last week has cemented my notion to question everything. The end justifies the means doesn't fly with me... pardon the pun. When I hear our prime minister use the words 'government designated facility' in regards to quarantine, and seemingly this poses no red flag moments to our citizens... are we all programmed to think we're all big balls of virus? Are we all that fearful? This is insane. Would we have reached this point if we didn't have 24/7 fear mongering media? Absolute insanity! 

Wow...indeed a pleasure to read your post.  Start to wonder if I'm the only one who feels this way.  'Stay scared' montra rolls on...

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

Well said!

1 hour ago, NikiPinkston said:

it's not proven that you can still infect others once you're vaccinated.

Interestingly AstaZenica today announced their vaccine reduces transmission by 67%.

https://www.sharecast.com/news/news-and-announcements/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-82-effective-reduces-transmission-by-two-thirds--7800885.html

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

Absolute inanity.

You’ve expressed nothing of any consequence.

1 hour ago, winterbliss said:

Well said.

Another CC member fully compos mentis.  😲  Yeah.  Thank you. We're getting closer to "forming another CC member posting club or posse."  😀

We are all seeing, live and daily, "“in an insane world, a sane man must appear insane.”  

Actually, I would modify and update that.

"In an insane world, a sane person must be identified, isolated, doxed, canceled and made to appear insane."  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Ah 🙂

I did find when visiting the US that everyone drives everywhere. It's crazy to me but I suppose different cultures. 

I live by multiple supermarkets, some 24 hour, a train station just behind my apartment, pretty well connected I suppose

Not everyone in the US lives like that.  We live near downtown in a relatively urban area where the nearest supermarket is, per Google Maps, a 17 minute walk, or a light rail train stop is a 13 minute walk.  Having said that, it only works in the cooler months as it is often 46 degrees Celsius here in the summer.  Then driving is the only sane option.

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

And the article says that this 67% reduction of transmission is after the first dose. AstraZenica's vaccine is 2 doses. I wonder if transmission is reduced even more after the 2nd dose.

The article says that the vaccine's now demonstrated ability to reduce transmission will allow herd immunity to be reached sooner.

I would say this is good news indeed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, farmersfight said:

And the article says that this 67% reduction of transmission is after the first dose. AstraZenica's vaccine is 2 doses. I wonder if transmission is reduced even more after the 2nd dose.

The article says that the vaccine's now demonstrated ability to reduce transmission will allow herd immunity to be reached sooner.

I would say this is good news indeed.

I did notice that, as you say, it will be interesting to see a figure after 2nd does.

Personally I think this is fantastic news and I would not be surprised to see similar from all the other vaccines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winterbliss said:

I totally agree with you about the media and government overreach, but I think my chances are better getting the vaccine rather than possibly becoming infected with covid.  The mortality rate may be low, but I would hate to be the one who ends up on a ventilator or with long-lasting damage. And I see the vaccine as a way back to normal life.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

Not everyone in the US lives like that.  We live near downtown in a relatively urban area where the nearest supermarket is, per Google Maps, a 17 minute walk, or a light rail train stop is a 13 minute walk.  Having said that, it only works in the cooler months as it is often 46 degrees Celsius here in the summer.  Then driving is the only sane option.

That's true, not everybody does. But the big issue we have here is "food deserts". There are legitimately very few people in the greater Cincinnati area that can walk to a grocery store. And in the areas that are more "walkable" (aka, inner city) many of the grocery stores closed up those locations due to too many thefts. So even in walkable areas you couldn't walk to a grocery store. This issue was brought to light, that people who didn't drive couldn't get to a grocery store and essentially shopped at corner stores and gas stations for their groceries. Lately there has been more of a movement to intentionally open grocery stores in those locations.

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I'm going to say something you don't often hear on these boards: I was wrong & I thank you for the info. 😊  I also discussed this with my (doctor) DH & he set me straight, too. Mea culpa! ✌

16 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

I'm going to say something you don't often hear on these boards: I was wrong & I thank you for the info. 😊  I also discussed this with my (doctor) DH & he set me straight, too. Mea culpa! ✌

Nope, not wrong, it's brand new today & what great news 😃

• Like 2