ports of call

fla gang

If Royal starts back up Florida sailings this summer where will the ships be allowed to stop at besides the private island and maybe Nassau? Still so many unknowns! I am ready to get back to relaxing vacations, just not with a mask on all day. If that is mandatory I will just enjoy ready everyones posts about what it was like for them.

I am sure it all depends on what rewuirements must be met by the cruise line as far as immunizations and safety regulations.

A ship with 100% of its crew and passengers immunized would most probably be more welcome into a port than a ship with some immunized and the rest tested just prior or any other combination.

• Like 1

Given that the current cruise contracts give the cruise line the right to change/eliminate ports of call at will, I doubt the cruise lines will stick to any published itineraries for the foreseeable future. Even when a port "opens" to cruises, the lines will still do everything in their power to protect their bottom line. One may very well get to a particular port only to find that the only way to get off the ship is on a ship controlled shore excursion. Those of us who like to wander around a port and find the interesting nooks and crannies will be frustrated and just stay on the ship.

• Like 2

All cruise stocks rose yesterday people were so excited ccl guy said he hopes to get most ships going by the end of 2021, or early 2022. ..8% rise this was considered so optimistic. I'd say summer isnt even being thought of, except mock cruises or very short cruises if at all that early.

Way too early to be worried about your ports, be worried if your cruise will go period.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Given that the current cruise contracts give the cruise line the right to change/eliminate ports of call at will, I doubt the cruise lines will stick to any published itineraries for the foreseeable future. Even when a port "opens" to cruises, the lines will still do everything in their power to protect their bottom line. One may very well get to a particular port only to find that the only way to get off the ship is on a ship controlled shore excursion. Those of us who like to wander around a port and find the interesting nooks and crannies will be frustrated and just stay on the ship.

Yup, provided I bother to even get on the ship at all. Those little port explorations that I like to do are an important aspect of a cruise for me.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

At the end of the day those island nations rely on tourism to pay their bills. That will weigh heavily on their decision to reopen to cruise ships.

True, and a think a vaccination requirement would be a win-win for ports, cruise lines, and passengers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yup, provided I bother to even get on the ship at all. Those little port explorations that I like to do are an important aspect of a cruise for me.

Hopefully by 2022 the situation will ease up enough that we can wander again. We have several 2022 cruises that go to ports we've never seen before.🛳️

Royal will sail to whatever ports that will have them.  For now they are sticking with the typical ports for 7-night eastern or western Caribbean sailings.  Since their t&c allow changes as they deem needed its just a matter of waiting to see what those ports will allow.  

11 hours ago, fla gang said:

If Royal starts back up Florida sailings this summer where will the ships be allowed to stop at besides the private island and maybe Nassau? Still so many unknowns! I am ready to get back to relaxing vacations, just not with a mask on all day. If that is mandatory I will just enjoy ready everyones posts about what it was like for them.

Is it already known that the Bahamas would allow a cruise ship from the U. S. to visit?

17 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Much depends on determining whether those vaccinated can still carry and pass along virus.  Hopefully not, but if so little islands with limited medical facilities might not be anxious to welcome ships full of potential spreaders.

So far the vaccines are proving to be as advertised

• Like 1

If they protect you from getting covid, it means the virus can't replicate enough to get you sick.

It'd take a very special scenario (like someone with covid sneezing in the face of someone with the vaccine, then that person with the vaccine immediately sneezing in the face of someone else without the vaccine) in order to transmit covid while protected by the vaccine.

On 2/20/2021 at 1:54 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

Yes, vaccines protect you from serious illness, but the open question is whether you can still be a carrier and transmit infection to others.

Then those who refuse vaccination better accept responsibility and take steps to protect themselves as those who are vaccinated should not be expected to alter their lives forever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2021 at 9:45 AM, Ocean Boy said:

This would be make or break for us booking further cruises.
Only ship sponsored excursions? Sail without me thanks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

This would be make or break for us booking further cruises.
Only ship sponsored excursions? Sail without me thanks.

I also can imagine the frustration that I would feel being at a port of call and only being able to see it from the deck of the ship. Being in St. Maarten and not being able to step foot in the island or walk into town would be a horrible day for me.

• Like 4

On 2/20/2021 at 1:54 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

Yes, vaccines protect you from serious illness, but the open question is whether you can still be a carrier and transmit infection to others.

As I understand it, with an effective vaccine your body fights off and destroys the initial small amount of viral agent that you may come in contact with before it multiplies and becomes a problem.

That is why a vaccine is of no real use once someone is infected....  

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I also can imagine the frustration that I would feel being at a port of call and only being able to see it from the deck of the ship. Being in St. Maarten and not being able to step foot in the island or walk into town would be a horrible day for me.

We are in the group of people that primarily use the ship as transport to the Island, not the destination itself.
I can understand how some treat the ship as the destination, especially with the Oasis class, but not us.

• Like 1