Vaccine Requirement News

4 minutes ago, TraditionalSiamese said:

Unfortunately, it will probably still be months before we can sail out of any US port.  

Probably and with all the restrictions it won't be something I care to do.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TraditionalSiamese said:

If the entire ship was vaccinated, but supposedly those that can not *yet* be vaccinated only need to have a negative test.  Negative tests are not foolproof by any means.  Plus you know people will counterfeit vaccination cards.  It's going to be interesting, for sure. Unfortunately, it will probably still be months before we can sail out of any US port.  

I do not know why anyone would bother with a fake vaccination card on a ship.  I am assuming that RCCL will require a negative covid PCR test prior to boarding.  Then I think I read they will do a covid test before disembarking possibly the day before.  Suppose you test positive.  It may be possible that the medical on the ship will be able to see in a database that you did not actually get the vaccine.  Who would be that stupid to risk possibly being banned?  Now the above scenario is purely hypothetical.  I am assuming that the ships medical team will be able to access that passengers are actually vaccinated at least the US travelers.  I think that would be the most effective way.  My belief is that once vaccinated, you are good to go.  If I am incorrect, please share any case that someone contacted covid 14 days after dose #2 or 1 with Johnson and johnson or gave covid to someone after the 14 days and I will retract my statement.

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

I think that would be the most effective way.  My belief is that once vaccinated, you are good to go.  If I am incorrect, please share any case that someone contacted covid 14 days after dose #2 or 1 with Johnson and johnson or gave covid to someone after the 14 days and I will retract my statement.

https://www.kitv.com/story/43490943/3-hawaii-residents-fully-vaccinated-against-covid19-are-infected-with-the-coronavirus

Probably it’s rare, but since you asked for it. 

The article mentions “According to the health department, the fully vaccinated individuals who tested positive did not become severely ill and none of them are known to have transmitted the virus.”  

The vaccine minimizes adverse CV symptoms  and limits the transmission. 

Edited by atgood
  • Like 2

A study out of LA that followed medical professionals receiving a vaccination said that there were some infections after vaccination ( very small #), but these people were symptomless or very mild symptoms.  No hospitalizations, no deaths.  If it is less than a cold, then I don't care.  That is why everyone on board should be vaccinated.  Children are not at high risk so same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TraditionalSiamese said:

If the entire ship was vaccinated, but supposedly those that can not *yet* be vaccinated only need to have a negative test.  Negative tests are not foolproof by any means.  Plus you know people will counterfeit vaccination cards.  It's going to be interesting, for sure. Unfortunately, it will probably still be months before we can sail out of any US port.  

I haven’t heard that. Everything I see says vaccinated only over 18

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TraditionalSiamese said:

Every guest over 18 for both Royal and Celebrity’s sailings from the Caribbean this summer must be vaccinated. Kids under 18 must show a negative PCR test.   There is no exception for those “yet to be vaccinated”

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Florida has been open.

M8

A couple weeks from now I hope the numbers remain low after FL has been bombarded with holiday break students.  That would be a great positive, on top of the declining case counts.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We wear ours in places that ask us to (sign on door). Never wear them outdoors. Saw very few masks here during Bikeweek.  We both are vaccinated. I personally think the data is showing that those vaccinated don’t build up the viral load to infect others. I certainly can see DC requiring them but for all the wrong reasons. 

M8

I tend to believe this as well.

There were many hundreds of thousands of cases a day in January and now there are under 50,000. The only main difference I see is vaccinations, as the nation didn’t truly change their approach to be like other countries. If the viral load didn’t drop by vaccines, then what is?

The same can be said for cases in LTC where I live. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2021 at 10:30 AM, Charles4515 said:

Maryland and DC require masks and in the DC area I have never seen anyone in a business for months without a mask. If someone in a store was not wearing a mask they would likely be screamed at by other customers. It would be very unpleasent for any person to try and enter without  a mask. That was what heppened when masks were first required.  Even outdoors most are wearing a mask if they are in visable site of other people.. 

It's Maryland and DC, enough said. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I was in Publix today. They have a sign that says mask required. I wore my mask. I didn’t see anyone in the store without one. I have several boxes of mask. I have a box in both cars and a box in each of our motorcycles.  So it’s just a habit now to grab one. Since this is a cruise site, if everyone onboard the ship is vaccinated, I see no reason to wear a mask. 

M8

I agree but that also means no kids under 18. I do not trust those Covid tests. There are too many false negatives and false positives. They are just not reliable, IMHO. So, for me, I do not want to be on a ship with anyone who is not vaccinated and that means no kids. I would prefer that at least for start up and see how things go. The cruise lines have to start somewhere and an ALL 100% vaccinated crew and passengers is the only way to go and that is my opinion, of course.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, atgood said:

https://www.kitv.com/story/43490943/3-hawaii-residents-fully-vaccinated-against-covid19-are-infected-with-the-coronavirus

Probably it’s rare, but since you asked for it. 

The article mentions “According to the health department, the fully vaccinated individuals who tested positive did not become severely ill and none of them are known to have transmitted the virus.”  

The vaccine minimizes adverse CV symptoms  and limits the transmission. 

This is the greatest news. I have already seen this article. The vaccines are doing what they are intended to do. I am so encouraged that cruise lines can actually sail safely but only if ALL PASSENGERS AND CREW are vaccinated. The kids will have to wait for their vaccines to be approved before they can board.

All my opinion, of course.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, atgood said:

In all seriousness, is anyone suspicious as to why the fully vaccinated Prez and VP each are still wearing a mask at every media event?  Either the vaccines work or they don’t.  If they do, why are they still wearing a mask?  

It has yet to be determined that vaccinated people can not transmit the virus.There is some evidence, however, that vaccinated people do not carry enough of a viral load to be able to infect others. Until that determination is made official and announced by the CDC, our current President and VP will continue to wear masks to set a good example for the American people. That is something that our previous administration refused to do and this is why the US has such a high number of anti-maskers and unfortunately, anti-vaxxers too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I agree but that also means no kids under 18. I do not trust those Covid tests. There are too many false negatives and false positives. They are just not reliable, IMHO. So, for me, I do not want to be on a ship with anyone who is not vaccinated and that means no kids. I would prefer that at least for start up and see how things go. The cruise lines have to start somewhere and an ALL 100% vaccinated crew and passengers is the only way to go and that is my opinion, of course.

Then you are not following the data. The data seems to show that children don’t have enough viral load to infect others. It’s the teachers that are spreading Covid in the schools, if any, and not by the kids. 

If your vaccinated, you shouldn’t have to worry anyway. 

M8

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Then you are not following the data. The data seems to show that children don’t have enough viral load to infect others. It’s the teachers that are spreading Covid in the schools, if any, and not by the kids. 

M8

Really? It has been determined by the CDC that the kids have a low viral load and can not infect others? Up to what age can those kids not infect others? IMHO, 16 is not a kid but on the verge of adulthood. A 16 year old can be a parent. So........what is the cut off age?

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 1

M8 ...... I just found this when I researched about kids and low viral loads. This does not seem to support what you have said about kids with low viral loads. In fact, just the opposite.........

Kids with Covid have more viral RNA in their airways than adults do

This is the definition of Viral RNA........

Definition of virus RNA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

I don't worry for my safety. I worry about the protocols that may be put in place if there are positive cases on board. How will those protocols effect my cruise experience? That is my concern.

Bottom line: if you don't want to get the vaccine, that's your choice. Royal will be making it mandatory to cruise most likely going forward. If you want to cruise, you have to be vaccinated for your safety, other passengers and crew too (as an adult for now).  I want to cruise again, I have chosen to get vaccinated. Happy Sailing All!!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

Really? It has been determined by the CDC that the kids have a low viral load and can not infect others? Up to what age can those kids not infect others? IMHO, 16 is not a kid but on the verge of adulthood. A 16 year old can be a parent. So........what is the cut off age?

School age kids. That should cover up to 17-18. 

43 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I don't worry for my safety. I worry about the protocols that may be put in place if there are positive cases on board. How will those protocols effect my cruise experience? That is my concern.

Then back to my example. It’s a lot less likely that a child under 18 will become symptomatic than a 70+ year old. 

Royal is starting sailing in the Summer and you can bet your dollar it will include children. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Annefran said:

Bottom line: if you don't want to get the vaccine, that's your choice. Royal will be making it mandatory to cruise most likely going forward. If you want to cruise, you have to be vaccinated for your safety, other passengers and crew too (as an adult for now).  I want to cruise again, I have chosen to get vaccinated. Happy Sailing All!!

I would be totally shocked if the requirement lasts more than a year. I’ll have to remember to write it down so I can go back and see, one year from whenever they start up again. That’s just my guess, but I’ve been wrong before and it’s not even that rare. 😀

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sky616 said:

Guess we'll see in the months and years to come when all these people start having health problems.  Maybe grow a 3rd arm as well.

Do you realize that the messenger leaves the body quickly after it has given the "instructions". Gone, finito, dissipated, no more, donesville.

That means that if someone does not have a reaction to these mRNA vaccines within a couple of weeks, there is no long term effect that can possibly happen. Read up on these vaccines. Read the part under FACTS ABOUT COVID-19 mRNA VACCINES

Understanding mRNA Vaccines

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

School age kids. That should cover up to 17-18. 

I think you missed my point that those 16, 17 and 18 year olds are mature enough to have kids of their own. Those "kids" can have the same viral load as any un-vaccinated adult, IMHO. I asked about a cut off point because at what point does the viral load of a child be less than that of an adult??

Edited by coffeebean

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Then back to my example. It’s a lot less likely that a child under 18 will become symptomatic than a 70+ year old. 

Royal is starting sailing in the Summer and you can bet your dollar it will include children. 

M8

Sorry but I respectfully will agree to disagree. Let me leave you with this......

I would much prefer to be stuck on an elevator with a vaccinated 80 year old than an un-vaccinated 17 year old.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I think you missed my point that those 16, 17 and 18 year olds are mature enough to have kids of their own. Those "kids" can have the same viral load as any un-vaccinated adult, IMHO.

I don’t believe that and the current data doesn’t support your opinion. 

M8

On 3/4/2021 at 5:44 PM, Dizzney9915 said:

lol. we can wave to them as our ship pulls away 

This includes the ones calling for boycotts of cruise lines that [ahem] violate their freedom of something or other, not sure what.

I won't miss them.

• Like 5