Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2021 at 1:24 PM, Heymarco said:

It’s looking like no cruises until Nov. 🤣

Now where did you find that bit of dubious news?  Not on the CDC web page. From that page on March 8:

“There are some activities that fully vaccinated people can begin to resume now in their own homes. Everyone – even those who are vaccinated – should continue with all mitigation strategies when in public settings. As the science evolves and more people get vaccinated, we will continue to provide more guidance to help fully vaccinated people safely resume more activities.”

• Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or staying 6 feet apart.
  • Visit with unvaccinated people from one other household indoors without wearing masks or staying 6 feet apart if everyone in the other household is at low risk for severe disease.
  • Refrain from quarantine and testing if they do not have symptoms of COVID-19 after contact with someone who has COVID-19.

A person is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last required dose of vaccine. Although vaccinations are accelerating, CDC estimates that just 9.2% of the U.S. population has been fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine that the FDA has authorized for emergency use.

And BTW, this morning on ABC they announced new figures for percentage of vaccinations.  31.6% of the population have now been vaccinated...so even CDC can be outdated.

So, I would assume that cruising will fall under the first mandate, Visit with other fully vaccinated cruisers without masks nor distancing since we will all have to be vaccinated.  Although we will happily wear masks and distance if that is what is required.

Edited by BecciBoo
On 3/17/2021 at 1:05 PM, cured said:

As long as businesses provide reasonable accomodations, they are well within ADA regulations.  For instance, offering curbside pickup is a reasonable accomodation if you are forbidding maskless people to enter the store.

Right now, the unvaccinated are not a protected group unless they have a documented medical reason not to receive the vaccine. 

Our local Costco mandates that if a customer is medically unable to wear a mask, they must wear a face shield in order to enter their store. Makes sense. 

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

And BTW, this morning on ABC they announced new figures for percentage of vaccinations.  31.6% of the population have now been vaccinated...so even CDC can be outdated.

And, depending on whether the glass is half full or half empty estimates claim that between 30 and 50 million Americans have gained immunity by having and recovering from Covid-19.

I think the inevitable wisdom that we should expect from the CDC will be to double vaccinate.

No masks became yes masks that eventually became double mask.

The vaccine progression will likely follow the same pattern.  There isn't enough vaccine to go around right now so we are in the yes to vaccine phase.

Why else would the administration purchase hundreds of millions of extra doses?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, twangster said:

I think the inevitable wisdom that we should expect from the CDC will be to double vaccinate.

The vaccine progression will likely follow the same pattern.  There isn't enough vaccine to go around right now so we are in the yes to vaccine phase.

I just don’t see them going to 3 masks.  We wear our mask where appropriate but you’re just not going to see us with 2 masks. 😇

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Now where did you find that bit of dubious news?  Not on the CDC web page. From that page on March 8:

“There are some activities that fully vaccinated people can begin to resume now in their own homes. Everyone – even those who are vaccinated – should continue with all mitigation strategies when in public settings. As the science evolves and more people get vaccinated, we will continue to provide more guidance to help fully vaccinated people safely resume more activities.”

• Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or staying 6 feet apart.
  • Visit with unvaccinated people from one other household indoors without wearing masks or staying 6 feet apart if everyone in the other household is at low risk for severe disease.
  • Refrain from quarantine and testing if they do not have symptoms of COVID-19 after contact with someone who has COVID-19.

A person is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last required dose of vaccine. Although vaccinations are accelerating, CDC estimates that just 9.2% of the U.S. population has been fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine that the FDA has authorized for emergency use.

So, I would assume that cruising will fall under the first mandate, Visit with other fully vaccinated cruisers without masks nor distancing since we will all have to be vaccinated.  Although we will happily wear masks and distance if that is what is required.

You are using common sense, which is a sure indicator that the CDC will do just the opposite. 

Still waiting to see what will happen if you can not be vaccinated?  I'm okay with them just giving me my 7K back.  But I would like to know so we can plan something else for this summer.  And yes, we are willing to drive somewhere if necessary.  So, I am hoping that they announce what to do about this when the announce what will be happening when they return to cruising if a vaccine is required.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I also listened to a supposed expert (infectious disease Dr.) on masking who said Double Masking is ever more contagious than single masking.  He pointed out that in studies he's read, 2 masks causes "Blowout" in which your breath cannot get out of the mask at all except at the sides top and bottom, making it in effect, useless.  So he doesn't recommend at all.  That was on Public Radio though.  Makes sense to me.

42 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I also listened to a supposed expert (infectious disease Dr.) on masking who said Double Masking is ever more contagious than single masking.  He pointed out that in studies he's read, 2 masks causes "Blowout" in which your breath cannot get out of the mask at all except at the sides top and bottom, making it in effect, useless.  So he doesn't recommend at all.  That was on Public Radio though.  Makes sense to me.

That makes sense to me also, but some of the fabric masks that some people are wearing is a joke. I’ve seen some where you can almost see thru the weave. 🤦‍♀️

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

That makes sense to me also, but some of the fabric masks that some people are wearing is a joke. I’ve seen some where you can almost see thru the weave. 🤦‍♀️

You got it right.  Mask is a joke.  Because there is no way to enforce the proper kinds or the way to wear them correctly.  People let their nose hang out in the vast majority of instances.  That does not work.  So hence, a joke.  But to each his own, if you believe that crap, more power to you.  I have tons, all kinds, I wear because I must, not because I buy the propaganda.

Edited by BecciBoo
1 minute ago, BecciBoo said:

You got it right.  Mask is a joke.  Because there is no way to enforce the proper kinds or the way to wear them correctly.  People let their nose hang out in the vast majority of instances.  That does not work.  So hence, a joke.  But to each his own, if you believe that crap, more power to you.

I do believe masks work if worn correctly and the correct kind. I also see how having to many masks on where it would be so thick that your breath won’t penetrate them, but goes out the side. Same can be said about not believing in the crap about not wearing masks. If you believe in that crap then more power to you also.

Just curious, why do you think doctors, etc have been wearing them for years?

The sub-group of people who had the first shot and had an allergic reaction, causing them to not be allowed to get the second shot, needs to be addressed. The first shot provides 70% immunity, which is roughly the same as Johnson & Johnson, yet you’re considered fully vaccinated with J&J but not if you’ve had the first Moderna or Pfizer. IMO, that group should also be allowed to cruise. V

12 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I can't remember the last pre-covid time I saw a doctor wear a mask (my wife has had a litany of medical problems so we've seen a lot of doctors and were in and out of hospitals) other than in surgery.

29 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Drs. wear masks to keep a sterile field sterile, not to prevent contagious diseases

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

I've never had a doctor or nurse wear a mask for a doctor's appointment.  Not in several decades, at least not before the pandemic.  Not even if I went there with the flu, telling them I think I have the flu.

A surgeon?  Before surgery while they explained the procedure they weren't masked then either.  

Edited by twangster
1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

The sub-group of people who had the first shot and had an allergic reaction, causing them to not be allowed to get the second shot, needs to be addressed. The first shot provides 70% immunity, which is roughly the same as Johnson & Johnson, yet you’re considered fully vaccinated with J&J but not if you’ve had the first Moderna or Pfizer. IMO, that group should also be allowed to cruise. V

Those people survived the first shot, right? Otherwise there would be no discussion about this conundrum.

If it were me who had an allergic reaction to the fist shot, I would have my second shot under the supervision of a medical facility. Have that Epinephrine ready to go! Anaphylaxis is very treatable. So far, there have been no deaths from an anaphylaxis reaction. 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I've never had a doctor or nurse wear a mask for a doctor's appointment.  Not in several decades, at least not before the pandemic.  Not even if I went there with the flu, telling them I think I have the flu.

A surgeon?  Before surgery while they explained the procedure they weren't masked then either.  

I’m a nurse and where I work, in the past before Covid hit, any nurse who refused an annual flu shot had to wear a mask when with a patient. We all got the flu shot. Of course now we wear not only masks, but face shields as well. Even though we’ve all been fully vaccinated. We do it to protect our patients. 

7 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I just don’t see them going to 3 masks.  We wear our mask where appropriate but you’re just not going to see us with 2 masks. 😇

Unless the Boss tells you too. 😇

21 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Our local Costco mandates that if a customer is medically unable to wear a mask, they must wear a face shield in order to enter their store. Makes sense. 

In the UK, Costco will not allow entry to anyone without a mask on (except young children). This includes those with medical reasons for not wearing masks - they are not allowed entry at all.

15 minutes ago, Digjharper said:

In the UK, Costco will not allow entry to anyone without a mask on (except young children). This includes those with medical reasons for not wearing masks - they are not allowed entry at all.

In my area of Florida, many locations have a sign on entry indicating mask required. I haven’t seen this enforced here. Florida as a State doesn’t require mask. However, individual cities and businesses may.