New CDC Guidelines for Vaccinated People

11 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Some cruise lines are already offering this. They also said that their target demographic is generally around 70. 

I don’t understand the fear. if you were vaccinated, why worry about an unvaccinated person? Even the CDC says it’s no big deal for those that are vaccinated, it’s more of a risk for those that aren’t. In this case, children aren’t at risk to begin with. Sorry, my brain is very logical.

I don't believe the 'fear' is because one might get sick w/ covid, but because of a cruise being altered, cancelled, quarantined etc due to a non vacinated passenrer getting Covid. The risk for planning, organizing, and dropping $$$$$$ on a cruise w/ non vax passenges is strictly a financial risk... at least for me. And I recognize that something like this might occur otherwise, but cruising with vaxed crew and passengers mitigates and limits the amount of financial risks. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Nah, unlike previous generations that had a nice 40-work week for the same company their entire lives with a generous pension plan at the end of the rainbow, today people work longer hours (both in the workplace and at home) with little/no over time pay and no job security or no pension plan. How's that for some sweat? 

In my career, a 40-hour week would have been considered a part-time job. And a typical 40 year career, the average worker changed employers 3-4 times. Today, a 40-hour week is considered something from the prehistoric era, and working for any company more than 4-5 years is considered a career-limiting-move. Companies started scrapping pension plans (other than governments and unions) 25-30 years ago, and replaced them with 401K plans (if they replaced them at all). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

That’s pre vaccine logic.

Until authorities provide written guidance to the contrary that logic still applies. 

-----------

This is the time to sit back, relax, and wait patiently for everything to sort out. I won't die if I can't get on a cruise ship sometime in the next 6 months. I can probably last longer than that. 😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Texas has been vaccinating qualified 16 and older since early January 

What do you think of the UK's vaccination approach on a 12 week cycle with the Pfizer vaccine as opposed to what you have currently been doing on the 3 or 4 week cycle?. We have been able to give out far more first shots but only have about 1.2 million fully vaccinated.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

What do you think of the UK's vaccination approach on a 12 week cycle with the Pfizer vaccine as opposed to what you have currently been doing on the 3 or 4 week cycle?. We have been able to give out far more first shots but only have about 1.2 million fully vaccinated.

It’s a very dangerous path to be going down. Efficacy of the vaccines is inseparably linked to a very specific dosing schedule. Variance of this schedule could have a negative effect. 

• Like 2

I would get into the debate about unvaccinated kids being able to sail (as they are in Israel and Singapore) but I don't feel like arguing today. 

And besides, the crew still all have to be vaccinated as well and who knows how long that's going to take. I mean, in the countries where the crew is from I imagine they're also going by age and the crew will be among the last to be vaccinated. 

I'm completely optimistic and enthusiastic that life is getting back to normal and that's the important thing. Cruising is just a leisure activity so it can wait, it really can. Let's be happy that every day life is starting to blossom again and be patient for cruises to resume once and keep cruising instead of resuming too early and have to stop again. 

Since vaccine distribution began in the U.S. on Dec. 14, more than 92 million doses have been administered, reaching 18.1% of the total U.S. population, according to federal data collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The U.S. is currently administering over 2.1 million shots a day. If this rate of immunizations continues, and it should as thousands of new injection sites are opening each week, IN 100 MORE DAYS we will have vaccinated 300,000,000 million Americans.

That's close to every man, woman and child in the U.S.A.   So by JULY FIRST what will the C.D.C. decide to do once almost every single person should OR COULD be FULLY vaccinated after JUNE 17TH (ONE HUNDRED DAYS FROM NOW)... ??

If the cruise industry cannot reopen with a few changes by JUNE or at least within a few months of JUNE something is VERY WRONG ..

VERY VERY WRONG....

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Since vaccine distribution began in the U.S. on Dec. 14, more than 92 million doses have been administered, reaching 18.1% of the total U.S. population, according to federal data collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The U.S. is currently administering over 2.1 million shots a day. If this rate of immunizations continues, and it should as thousands of new injection sites are opening each week, IN 100 MORE DAYS we will have vaccinated 300,000,000 million Americans.

That's close to every man, woman and child in the U.S.A.   So by JULY FIRST what will the C.D.C. decide to do once almost every single person should OR COULD be FULLY vaccinated after JUNE 17TH (ONE HUNDRED DAYS FROM NOW)... ??

If the cruise industry cannot reopen with a few changes by JUNE or at least within a few months of JUNE something is VERY WRONG ..

VERY VERY WRONG....

The US is doing great with vaccines which is awesome! Still need crew though..........

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

The US is doing great with vaccines which is awesome! Still need crew though..........

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced hotel employees should receive an early COVID-19 vaccination due to their close proximity to guests.

Under that blanket description I feel that ALL cruise ship crew would be covered, from the Captain on down.

With the Medical Team Royal created they would have NO trouble getting vaccine and having it distributed to all the medical facilities on each ship.

As far as ports of call they will be changing their rules as well ..

REMEMBER we are talking a few months from now with massive immunizations having been performed by then..

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced hotel employees should receive an early COVID-19 vaccination due to their close proximity to guests.

Under that blanket description I feel that ALL cruise ship crew would be covered, from the Captain on down.

With the Medical Team Royal created they would have NO trouble getting vaccine and having it distributed to all the medical facilities on each ship.

The crew does not come from the US though. And once the crew has their vaccines they still have to do the test cruises. Still awhile away. 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It’s a very dangerous path to be going down. Efficacy of the vaccines is inseparably linked to a very specific dosing schedule. Variance of this schedule could have a negative effect. 

I think the UK is using a different vaccine than the US. Perhaps the vax that is bring used there will permit a wider span for the 2nd dose. But it's definitely a different approach. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

2 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

The crew does not come from the US though. And once the crew has their vaccines they still have to do the test cruises. Still awhile away. 

And if they have the permission to work in the US they would be covered just like a temporary hotel worker in Florida. 

If the cruise lines see any movement in the right direction, similar to the new relaxed vaccination rules they would be wise to start planning.

Of course this is mainly political and that aspect should be avoided, however the hundreds of thousands of people who have depended on the cruise industry to pay their bills might have something to say to their local elected do nothings... I am now putting away my whip, MY HORSE IS BEYOND DEAD  LOL

6 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I think the UK is using a different vaccine than the US. Perhaps the vax that is bring used there will permit a wider span for the 2nd dose. But it's definitely a different approach. 

They are using predominantly Astra Zeneca/Oxford, this is supposed to be given with 4-12 weeks interval between doses, you are correct. Attempts to schedule the Pfizer product in this way (and the Moderna when available in the UK) is the slippery slope I am referring to.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

And if they have the permission to work in the US they would be covered just like a temporary hotel worker in Florida. 

If the cruise lines see any movement in the right direction, similar to the new relaxed vaccination rules they would be wise to start planning.

Of course this is mainly political and that aspect should be avoided, however the hundreds of thousands of people who have depended on the cruise industry to pay their bills might have something to say to their local elected do nothings... I am now putting away my whip, MY HORSE IS BEYOND DEAD  LOL

Um, I don't think the crew have permission to work in the US. The major cruise lines aren't American companies. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Um, I don't think the crew have permission to work in the US. The major cruise lines aren't American companies. 

If your ship embarks from a port in the USA or you have a stopover in one of the US ports, you will need the appropriate visa. You do not need to apply for a Green Card. All you need is your letter of employment (from your employer) and apply for C1 Transit, D1 Seamen and B2 Visitor visa at the US embassy in your country. 

I am sure that would suffice..  

But since I am no longer in this discussion who cares. 😀

27 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

They are using predominantly Astra Zeneca/Oxford, this is supposed to be given with 4-12 weeks interval between doses, you are correct. Attempts to schedule the Pfizer product in this way (and the Moderna when available in the UK) is the slippery slope I am referring to.

The first one used was Pfizer and only for about 60k people including my father got it on the 3 or 4 week vaccine cycle before we moved it to 12 weeks in the second week of the year and then the Astra Zeneca rollout began. We haven't received delivery of Moderna yet but it has been approved for a couple of months. With the combination of the 2 vaccine rollouts on a majority 12 week cycle we do now have at least 1/3 of the population having received at least 1 dose and I think about 1.2 or 1.3 million maybe now having received both doses as of today.

I will defer to what you said but will also point out that our case numbers are dropping sharply each week surely prove that the vaccine are reducing spread as well as offering protections. But as you say it could all yet backfire in some way.

Edited by ace2542

17 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

If your ship embarks from a port in the USA or you have a stopover in one of the US ports, you will need the appropriate visa. You do not need to apply for a Green Card. All you need is your letter of employment (from your employer) and apply for C1 Transit, D1 Seamen and B2 Visitor visa at the US embassy in your country. 

I am sure that would suffice..  

But since I am no longer in this discussion who cares. 😀

Ok, so they're not able to work in the US, just able to pass through on the way to their ship. Gotcha. 

5 hours ago, Heymarco said:

I don’t understand the fear. if you were vaccinated, why worry about an unvaccinated person? Even the CDC says it’s no big deal for those that are vaccinated, it’s more of a risk for those that aren’t. In this case, children aren’t at risk to begin with. Sorry, my brain is very logical.

If children aren't at risk, why have schools been mostly closed for the past year (and still are)?

On 3/8/2021 at 6:37 PM, Pandamonia said:

Maybe the idiots who think you needs vaccine and also a mask can now shut up. 

Why?  It is by no means certain that the CDC statement does or will extend to cruise ships. Or that cruise line if it does extend to cruise ships will abide by it? They may decide better to enforce mask wearing for public health from Covid, Cold, Flu even Noro. Nevermind for a second that it will be a long time before staff get vaccinated. Are they whilst unvaccinated to deal with countless unmasked persons with vaccines not 100% effective?

Surely you are not advocating that cruise lines will target herd immunity for staff from the catching of infection in lieu of vaccination at the start. And there is no way it will not spread in their close quarters below decks.

Edited by ace2542