Jump to content

The Debbie Downers have been right all along


Recommended Posts

I think Covid-19 is going to take a victory lap in about 2-3 weeks like it already is in Italy and some other European countries. We need at least 50% of the population to be fully vaccinated until we start loosening restrictions like some states already have. Right now we are only about 11% fully vax.

 

Also in honor of Spiro Agnew I prefer "Negative Nabomb of negativity" instead of Debbie Downer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2021 at 3:43 PM, Hlitner said:

Guess I would also qualify as a Debbie Downer although I do resent the slur applied to those of us who have simply been realistic.   That being said I do believe there will be more resumption of cruising in 2021 although I think much of that will be relegated to the 4th quarter.  I also expect many (if not all) cruise lines to jump on the COVID Vaccine bandwagon and adopt a 100% vaccination policy for all souls (passengers and crew) onboard.   A 100% vaccination policy will help get government approvals but also creates a big problem for younger folks who are still not approved for any of the vaccines.  

 

Hank

In Colorado,  anyone over 16 will be eligible for a vaccine in April, so I think most Americans will be vaccinated by June. And it looks like we over-ordered, so I expect our extras to be sent overseas quickly.  It is amazing to see how many vaccines have been made so quickly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

In Colorado,  anyone over 16 will be eligible for a vaccine in April, so I think most Americans will be vaccinated by June. And it looks like we over-ordered, so I expect our extras to be sent overseas quickly.  It is amazing to see how many vaccines have been made so quickly. 

 

Please send extras to Georgia. We are only next week lowering age to 55+ (yes, finally I am eligible) and only about 12% of population have gotten even one jab so far....

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

I think Covid-19 is going to take a victory lap in about 2-3 weeks like it already is in Italy and some other European countries. We need at least 50% of the population to be fully vaccinated until we start loosening restrictions like some states already have. Right now we are only about 11% fully vax.

 

Also in honor of Spiro Agnew I prefer "Negative Nabomb of negativity" instead of Debbie Downer.

Victory lap in Italy???  Hardly.  Where on earth do these perceptions come from?  

 

  Are you aware that they are in the process of locking down again because of the huge increase in covid numbers?  As are several other European nations.

 

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56382608

 

 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, iancal said:

Victory lap in Italy???  Hardly.  Where on earth do these perceptions come from?  

 

  Are you aware that they are in the process of locking down again because of the huge increase in covid numbers?  As are several other European nations.

 

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56382608

 

 

  

 

Methinks you misunderstood the post. They are saying that the virus will take a victory lap -- that is isn't vanquished just yet. And that in the US we have the wrong-headed idea that it's okay to be wide open again...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

In Colorado,  anyone over 16 will be eligible for a vaccine in April, so I think most Americans will be vaccinated by June. And it looks like we over-ordered, so I expect our extras to be sent overseas quickly.  It is amazing to see how many vaccines have been made so quickly. 

The US also has tens of millions of doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine which has not yet been approved in the USA, but is being used in many countries. These vaccines have a shelf life, and will expire if not used.

 

The U.S. Is Sitting on Tens of Millions of Vaccine Doses the World Needs - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

Methinks you misunderstood the post. They are saying that the virus will take a victory lap -- that is isn't vanquished just yet. And that in the US we have the wrong-headed idea that it's okay to be wide open again...

And the governors of some states are quite willing to test out whether being wide open will give the virus a chance for another surge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There is such a strong co-relation between those developed countries who are at the top, in terms of good covid numbers ,such as Australia and NZ, and those who are at the very bottom.   Especially the death statistics. 

 

The differences are stark and obvious to even a casual observer in terms of what the respective country leaders said to their citizens about the pandemic in the March/April 20 timeframe and the actions/restrictions that they they subsequently put in place  to combat and control the covid virus...up until today.

 

Those numbers speak for themselves.  Loud and clear.  There are still leaders who are ignoring the numbers.

Edited by iancal
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iancal said:

Victory lap in Italy???  Hardly.  Where on earth do these perceptions come from?  

 

  Are you aware that they are in the process of locking down again because of the huge increase in covid numbers?  As are several other European nations.

Italy is re-imposing lockdown measures to combat new surge, it's all over the media

 

 

1 hour ago, iancal said:

 

1 hour ago, iancal said:

  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes, Covid-19 has beaten Humanity, whipped us pretty easily actually as of today according to worldmeter there have been 120,275,916 infected and 2,652,581 dead. In the USA 30,051,650 infected and 546,704 dead. 

 

Some countries have battled much more affectively than others, here in the USA we are letting up and giving Covid-19 a chance do to a victory lap, infecting millions more and maybe killing 50-100k more.

Edited by kangforpres
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

You can only judge by what has transpired over the past 12 months.   It has been an utter  disaster from day 1.   I am an optimist...perhaps it will improve going forward.

 

You cannot put lipstick on this pig.....the numbers tell the story.  I have a difficult time understanding why it was allowed to happen that way.  Scary.

Edited by iancal
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

I guess you choose to only watch the MSM stations, but in Trump’s last speech a week or so ago, he asked all his fan club to please get the vaccine. Typical of Fauci to be so out of the loop.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is hard to determine if someone’s optimistic or negative from their opinion whether to book a cruise or not.    We have  different financial conditions and different risk tolerances.   It is hard to determine a person’s economic outlook from a person’s consumer choices.      In my case once given incentives to take the gamble and understanding the money I had exposed was dispensable it was a calculated risk I was willing to take.   There were other variables I considered also.   No optimistic, not negative, simply a risk/reward equation.  
 And certainly I would never be foolish enough to let any bureaucrat or politician sway my world view. 
 

I am not one who gets twisted because the cruise was canceled, that I don’t understand.  I simply take the planning file, pdf all details including the current prices and file it away for another day.  Then I seize the next opportunity of interest.  As far as the stock I own enough to get the OBC and have owned it for a very long time.  Again a risk/reward decision, not an emotional tangle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, iancal said:

I have a difficult time understanding why it was allowed to happen that way.  Scary.

I can see how this happened in our area.

  • Our county has the highest per-person virus case count and test positivity rate of any county in the state, and this weekend locals are holding demonstrations demanding that the governor remove all restrictions on restaurants and other public establishments.
  • On the local Facebook page residents are "sick and tired of wearing masks and the government telling me what to do".
  • This is Trump country. An NPR/PBS/Marist poll released Thursday shows that 47% of Trump supporters nationally will refuse any vaccine. 

As Pogo said 50 years ago, “We Have Met the Enemy and He Is Us”.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kangforpres said:

Also in honor of Spiro Agnew I prefer "Negative Nabomb of negativity" instead of Debbie Downer.

 

My "haha" icon is due to this statement of yours.  In place of "in honor", how about "in memory"?  Thanks for a laugh!  🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Do you honestly believe those of us who have a more cautious opinion are rooting against the cruise lines?  Hope is a wonderful thing but it’s not a strategy.

 

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

That doesn't mean that I want the cruise lines to fail or that I don't "hope" they restart ASAP.

 

Excellent statements from both of you.  I am rooting for the cruise lines whether I will be able to cruise again or not.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We are not least bit interested in booking a cruise at this point in time for a number of reasons.

 

Are we optimistic.  Absolutely.  In the fall we are prepared to jump on a plane to Greece, Morocco, Italy, and/or Cyprus for a few months if the situation improves. 

 

The thing is we will know exactly what we are buying and getting into even if we only make the air reservations a week, or less, in advance.  Same for Thailand/Vietnam next winter.  If we are fortunate enough to be able to be admitted.

 

Don't translate reluctance to book a cruise into a less than optimistic outlook.  We are glass half full people.  On the other hand, we are not about to buy a  pig in a poke either.

 

We will return to cruising at some point.  But it has to be 'right' for us.  No rush...lots of other competing travel options available to us in the interim.

Edited by iancal
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IPB4IGO said:

I can see how this happened in our area.

  • Our county has the highest per-person virus case count and test positivity rate of any county in the state, and this weekend locals are holding demonstrations demanding that the governor remove all restrictions on restaurants and other public establishments.
  • On the local Facebook page residents are "sick and tired of wearing masks and the government telling me what to do".
  • This is Trump country. An NPR/PBS/Marist poll released Thursday shows that 47% of Trump supporters nationally will refuse any vaccine. 

As Pogo said 50 years ago, “We Have Met the Enemy and He Is Us”.

 

There is an old saying.  Common sense is not as common as most people think. This just confirms it.

 

Just think of life that the measles, mumps, polio etc, have given us and given our children.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, idiebabe said:

“Ya Gotta Believe”!  😉

 

 

Thanks for the Hail Mary. Here's the science...

 

Last night, I watched Global TV's news program – The New Reality.

 

I was astonished to discover that a mutation similar to the UK variant had arisen as a response to treatments given to patients.

 

https://www.indiatoday.in/coronavirus-outbreak/story/study-covid-19-evolved-convalescent-plasma-therapy-treatment-convalescent-plasma-therapy-patients-uk-mutant-1766753-2021-02-07

 

In mid 2020, a UK patient was in hospital for covid treatment for 100 days. With an immune system weakened by cancer treatment.

 

“The man’s Covid-19 was treated with two courses of the antiviral drug remdesivir and, later, two courses of convalescent plasma — antibody-laden blood from people who had recovered from Covid-19. He died 102 days after admission.”

 

Samples were repeatedly taken. The astonishing revelation that the virus had mutated in response to convalescent plasma in just weeks. Evading the antibodies with a double mutation.

 

In comparison, pharma needs months to complete laboratory trials for a booster. More months for human trials. More months to ramp up production. Globally, the human race needs years to complete the deployment of vax.

 

As I had earlier pointed out, we must not underestimate this strain. Scientists have deconstructed viruses. But, we still don't understand the full potential of this form of life when pitted against human technology. A miracle of evolution. Far older than mammals.

 

BTW, my name isn't Debbie. People call me Happy!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

I guess you choose to only watch the MSM stations, but in Trump’s last speech a week or so ago, he asked all his fan club to please get the vaccine. Typical of Fauci to be so out of the loop.

 

You would have to agree that it was not much of an urging:

 

"Mr Trump last month said "everybody, go get your shot" at a conservative forum.

"It was the first time he publicly encouraged Americans to do so. He has not commented on the issue since then." https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56397150

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, whogo said:

You would have to agree that it was not much of an urging:

 

"Mr Trump last month said "everybody, go get your shot" at a conservative forum.

"It was the first time he publicly encouraged Americans to do so. He has not commented on the issue since then." https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56397150

To be fair social media has cancelled his accounts.  That makes it a bit more difficult to get the word out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, whogo said:

"everybody, go get your shot"

You can't be more direct and to the point than that! Unfortunately, it was not the best forum to provide an opportunity for him to elaborate further.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lido - Lanai said:

You can't be more direct and to the point than that! Unfortunately, it was not the best forum to provide an opportunity for him to elaborate further.

 

It's better to listen to Doctor Fauci. Or, to a smart guy like Doctor Scott Gottlieb who was appointed as FDA Commissioner at age 45. Currently on the board of Pfizer.

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/05/dr-scott-gottlieb-easing-covid-restrictions-but-keeping-masks-a-good-compromise.html?recirc=taboolainternal

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Ponant Cruises & Expeditions - Return to Europe!
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...