Grand Dutch Cafe

farawaygal

12 minutes ago, cruisegirl said:

What is the Grand Dutch Cafe? I don’t think I have heard of it before.  Is it only on certain ships?

Pinnacle class ships only:  Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and new Ryndam.

Free food and pastries with only beverages having a charge. 

Here is the menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Dutch-Cafe-1.pdf

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Free food and pastries with only beverages having a charge. 

Here is the menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Dutch-Cafe-1.pdf

Thanks. We haven’t been on those ships yet. That is something to look forward too. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cruisegirl said:

Thanks. We haven’t been on those ships yet. That is something to look forward too. 

Th Pinnacle-class ships also offer the NY Deli and Pizza free food .  This is a great place for Embarkation Day lunch before the rest of the passengers discover it.  Good bagels for breakfast, too.  Here is the free menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/NY-Deli-Pizza.pdf

Tip:  Chicken wings are only two wing sections so order multiple orders.  These are a nice touch for the outdoor movies each night.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-konigsdam-dining-options/IMG_2256.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The Pinnacle class ships are the Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and the Rotterdam (VII). 
The Ryndam name has not been reused as of now. 

• Like 1

DH loves the Grand Dutch Cafe. I don't think we were four days into our Koningsdam cruise that he had acquainted himself with the whole staff working there. Every time we passed there someone would greet him by name. 

I think the drinks there are now included in the drink package.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

The Grand Dutch Cafe and the New York Deli/Pizza could keep me out of the Lido buffet at lunchtime!  They sound perfect for a mid day snack on sea days.

And a good amount of seating for both. 

• Like 3

Both the Grand Dutch Cafe and the NY Deli/Pizza are good reasons to cruise again on the ships that have them.  I don't recall what I ate at either, but it was always very good. The only change to the menu for the Cafe would be to have Bitterballen available during a longer time period than it is.  

• Like 4

I’d personally love to see the Pinnacle Bar area on the Vista/Signature class vessels gutted and refurbished as the Grand Dutch Cafe.

You could do something similar on the Volendam/Zaandam and potentially put a smaller version in the space adjacent to guest services/Wajang theater/Pinnacle grill, or convert the Explorations coffee bar into the Grand Dutch Cafe concept. 

My point is this - I think taking it fleetwide would be a winner!

• Like 13

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Both the Grand Dutch Cafe and the NY Deli/Pizza are good reasons to cruise again on the ships that have them.  I don't recall what I ate at either, but it was always very good. The only change to the menu for the Cafe would be to have Bitterballen available during a longer time period than it is.  

Almond cookies come out at 3:00 pm

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I’d personally love to see the Pinnacle Bar area on the Vista/Signature class vessels gutted and refurbished as the Grand Dutch Cafe.

You could do something similar on the Volendam/Zaandam and potentially put a smaller version in the space adjacent to guest services/Wajang theater/Pinnacle grill, or convert the Explorations coffee bar into the Grand Dutch Cafe concept. 

My point is this - I think taking it fleetwide would be a winner!

I agree!  Every cruise line offers pizza and deli. The Dutch Cafe is a way to set HAL apart from the competition.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

gutted and refurbished as the Grand Dutch Cafe.

You could do something similar on the Volendam/Zaandam and potentially put a smaller version in the space adjacent to guest services/Wajang theater/Pinnacle grill,

That is a winner of an idea!!!!!  That space on the R Class ships was once a free coffee bar space that didn't work.  Then, became a wine bar space followed by an art sales space occupying some of the area.  The space has never been properly utilized.  Making that area a Grand Dutch Cafe venue with appropriate seating/tables--where there is space available, particularly across from that space at the entrance to the Wajang Theater--it might be a pleasant amenity to add as well as potential revenue producer.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That is a winner of an idea!!!!!  That space on the R Class ships was once a free coffee bar space that didn't work.  Then, became a wine bar space followed by an art sales space occupying some of the area.  The space has never been properly utilized.  Making that area a Grand Dutch Cafe venue with appropriate seating/tables--where there is space available, particularly across from that space at the entrance to the Wajang Theater--it might be a pleasant amenity to add as well as potential revenue producer.  

I agree totally that the space has never been properly utilized well.  If the photo gallery wer made 100% digital the art gallery and photos could be merged just forward of the Atrium and the entire space between the Atrium and Pinnacle Grill opposite Wajang theatre could be opened up.  There is a service pantry just outside the Pinnacle that could be reconfigured to serve the Grand Dutch cafe as well. 

It would also be nice if they would install some windows along that exterior wall that would bring much needed natural light in.  Yes they would be obstructed by the lifeboats, but the Atrium is rather glum and natural light, even filtered through drapes with a lifeboat outside, would cheer the space up considerably. 

That said, it probably won't ever happen as these two ship will be lucky to see 8-10 years more service with HAL

• Like 5

I laugh about my only visit to the Grand Dutch Cafe on my K'dam sailing.

After a port day, back on ship at about 3:30 or 4 and I was starving.  I went there and got a draft beer and ordered the toasted ham and cheese sandwich thinking, "yeah, this will hold me over until dinner tonight."

I was stunned when it arrived.  That sandwich was about the size of my laptop.  It was gigantic!  And I ate it all (although I passed on the side salad).  Honestly, I still wasn't even hungry when I went to dinner at 8 that night. 😄

Just another reason I want to sail K or her sister ships before too much longer.  When I booked NA, I immediately went to the deck plans to see if there was a Cafe and was sad to see there was not.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We were on the Koningsdam a year ago and I really enjoyed the food at the Dive-In and also at the NY Deli and Pizza.   Especially good when you come back hungry from port excursions and need something to tide you over till late dinner time.   The food was excellent at both places.   Looking forward to having them both on the Rotterdam cruise in November.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mexico8 said:

I really enjoyed the food at the Dive-In and also at the NY Deli and Pizza.

Add the Grand Dutch Cafe to your list and HAL has more desirable dining options than they ever have had.  Probably a benefit of having larger vessels in order to offer more venues for dining.  

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, imgagesmom said:

I'm on the nieuw statendam leaving tomorrow last cruise was on it in 19.  What are some good drinks w the Dutch liquors? I want to try them all but not were what they even are or taste like lol. 

I do know that "Dutch Coffee" has Vandermint Liqueur, but that's the only Dutch specific drink or liqueur's I know of..  Probably many more but I'm just not a big international alcohol connoisseur  🙃