Grand Dutch Cafe

farawaygal

Its been a couple of years so I don't know if they still serve it any longer, I really enjoyed the pea soup.  I also enjoyed that large chocolate covered, eclair-like pastry they served.  Forgot what they were called.  Yummy!

Edited by Paulinda
  • Like 1

Paulinda, the Dutch Cafe does serve Dutch Pea Soup, nice and thick and with thin slices of ham. Really good.

We enjoyed lunch in the cafe three times during a 7-day Rotterdam cruise last month. To go with the soup, Sandwich Beenham (crusty corn roll with thin-sliced and not too salty ham plus a honey mustard sauce). She got a Dutch Kroket (croquette), which we remember years ago being sold in Holland in vending machines where they magically kept their coating crispy.  A Dutch crewmember who served us in the cafe told us they're still sold in vending machines in Holland where they keep their crispy coating because they're sold that fast and machines are kept refilled. 

The pie-like goody on the plate at left in GTVCruisers photo is a Dutch apple cake (some call it a pie) with a thick, latticed crust. This Dutch version of apple pie makes a substantial dessert.

David

10 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

This is what the vending machines look like. Rosalyn

image.jpeg.5fd5c27b07f4722e4eaf7d34d41ef94f.jpeg

Brings back memories of Horn and Hardart Automats in New York (and Philadelphia, I think). I loved visiting them as a kid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Maya_C said:

Brings back memories of Horn and Hardart Automats in New York (and Philadelphia, I think). I loved visiting them as a kid. 

I remember one in downtown Philly when I went to school there in the late 60s.

18 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

This is what the vending machines look like. Rosalyn

image.jpeg.5fd5c27b07f4722e4eaf7d34d41ef94f.jpeg

I grew up in New York City and its suburbs. This photo reminds me of the Horn and Hardart Automat restaurants. Sadly, they are no more but you could get a whole meal 24 hours a day for much less than US$5.00.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The cookies are excellent as well.  The variety of beverages are worth exploring as well.  

I loved the 7–8-inch chocolate chip cookies at the Grand Dutch Cafe. Emma would love them as well. I absolutely hated the meals we had at NY Pizza and Deli (one lunch, two people).

Jim

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

I grew up in New York City and its suburbs. This photo reminds me of the Horn and Hardart Automat restaurants. Sadly, they are no more but you could get a whole meal 24 hours a day for much less than US$5.00.

I still remember, (and miss), the huckleberry pie.  Cost 25 cents.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:16 PM, dawei said:

Paulinda, the Dutch Cafe does serve Dutch Pea Soup, nice and thick and with thin slices of ham. Really good.

Agree.  Not something I would order anywhere else....Try it.  It was very good.  Yes, pea soup was excellent and worth talking about and eating.  Do it. 

• Like 2

I actually have news!!! My freedom was not long but we went to the Captain's toast and some officers and the Captain were outside.   I was stating my hatred of the Promenade Deck on the Mining scam but admitted my love of the Grand Dutch Cafe.  ..... I'm not sure who said but works are on to put the Dutch Cafe on the Zuiderdam.... Perhaps all the smaller ships.   Fingers crossed it's not a cruel rumor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Julia McCoun said:

I'm not sure who said but works are on to put the Dutch Cafe on the Zuiderdam.... Perhaps all the smaller ships.   Fingers crossed it's not a cruel rumor.

Since being introduced on the Konigsdam I’ve always felt replacing the Pinnacle Bar on the Vista/Signature class vessels with the Grand Dutch Cafe just made sense.  It would almost be full circle back to that space originally being the Windstar Cafe when the Vista class were launched. 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2022 at 7:17 AM, cruiseaholic78 said:

Well, we also have a rose vending machine! ( useful around Valentines day as it is open 24/7)

Rosalyn

image.jpeg.ea2d951d4e90c72c68f548085447f73f.jpeg

I just discovered that there is a new movie (documentary) about Horn and Hardart Automats. Here is the link:

Back in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s, one of my favorite dining experiences was at the Horn and Hardart Automats in Manhattan. Chris Pavone, an author and editor (Crown Publishers) I follow, sent me the link below to a movie about those iconic restaurants. I booked two tickets for Madie and me to attend its showing with Sunday brunch, at the Jewish Film Festival in Seattle March 27 (Sunday). I hope you get a chance to see it as well. 

On http://www.cruisecritic.com I mentioned the Automats in a conversation about food on Holland America cruises when another participant showed food vending machines in Holland. I replied that they looked like Horn and Hardart Automats which spurred a brief flurry of more comments. This happened about two weeks ago. Pavone's email was yesterday. Coincidence? Twilight Zone!