CDC Extends sail order till November 2021

detwings

I saw this today.  I cannot believe the CDC would extend and penalize the cruise industry but let the airlines fly.  Southwest is starting traditional boarding again with no social distancing.  The CDC is trying to bankrupt the cruise industry it looks like.

I read that Senator Murkowski from Alaska questioned the head of the CDC in a hearing yesterday trying to get some kind of timeline for resumption of cruising out of her. The head of the CDC was evasive and said the decision wasn’t her’s alone, said Department of Transportation and others will have a say. One wonders where’s the science with such equivocation if the lead medical agency won’t provide information requested by a U.S. Senator.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, detwings said:

I saw this today.  I cannot believe the CDC would extend and penalize the cruise industry but let the airlines fly.  Southwest is starting traditional boarding again with no social distancing.  The CDC is trying to bankrupt the cruise industry it looks like.

I didn't know the CDC had regularity authority over the airlines.  

5 hours ago, detwings said:

Sorry but saw on News the bottom feed this morning that CDC extended no sail order thru November. The newline must have gotten it wrong

Unfortunately, the Main Stream news media gets things wrong far too often. Right now I am looking at headlines from several major news channels (CNN, NBC, Washington Post, etc) with incorrect information on this subject so don't feel bad.  IMO the media no longer about accurate news reporting and more about creating clickbait headlines in an attempt to sell advertising (but I digress). This is just another example of why we need to read the headlines critically.

The Framework for Conditional Sailing order put in place last October was always scheduled to expire November 1, 2021. This conditional sailing framework replaced the then existing No Sail order which had been in place from April-October, 2020. Many cruise fans believe that the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order had so many stipulations that, in reality, it was an extension of the original No Sail order. The fact that the news media is referring to both orders as "no sail" orders is rather ironic (and comical). 

CDC Issues Framework for Resuming Safe and Responsible Cruise Ship Passenger Operations | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

Hope this helps explain the confusion.

• Like 6

I also saw the announcement at the bottom of the screen on GMA. It said November, but didn't give a specific date, thus I can only assume it is Nov. 1st. We have a cruise booked for Dec 6th and another one for Jan 25th. I can't imagine that that they won't be able to sail. But, I vaccinated and ready to go!

John

15 minutes ago, JWGrayson said:

I also saw the announcement at the bottom of the screen on GMA. It said November, but didn't give a specific date, thus I can only assume it is Nov. 1st. We have a cruise booked for Dec 6th and another one for Jan 25th. I can't imagine that that they won't be able to sail. But, I vaccinated and ready to go!

John

You are correct, November 1 is the expiration date. 

image.png.82befbee1600beeb2f5efea6eb912c38.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, detwings said:

It has always been Nov 2021 so this is not an extension. This was put into place October 2020 When they issued the framework for conditional sail order That remained in Effect till Nov 1 2021.

• Like 1

We in the US aren't vaccinated enough to travel very much at all but people are doing it anyway.  I don't think the CDC or anyone else "has it in for the cruise industry" and is being cautious considering the deaths and disease this country has gone through.  Yes the planes are flying but I wouldn't go on one till spring 2022.  Just my own opinion and I am already fully vaccinated btw.  We have had two cruises cancelled in March  2020 and again in April 2021 btw and are biding our time till spring 2022 and hoping to cruise at that time.  

1 hour ago, KyleClark said:

Lets say the "all systems are a go" on Nov1st.  Does this mean the test sailings will start or will they already have been completed?

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to this (including the cruise lines). They are still waiting for the technical sheet which gives the parameters needed to meet the Conditional Sail order. There is also no reason to assume that the order won't be extended past Nov 1st. IMO, the best case we can hope for is that a less restrictive modified version of the Conditions to Sail order replaces the current one, but I don't see "all systems go' happening for a long time yet.

12 hours ago, KyleClark said:

Lets say the "all systems are a go" on Nov1st.  Does this mean the test sailings will start or will they already have been completed?

Technically, aren't the test sailings part of the CSO, and once that CSO expires they would no longer be needed before resuming revenue sailings?

57 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

They can enforce a mandatory quarantine for returning to the US, like Canada does. They can make it difficult to get back in if they want.

You know what else they can do?  Kiss my grits. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

LOL. You may have to kiss theirs if you want to cruise again.

They may tell us to quarantine at home however who will police that? fully vaccinated i cant see to much fuss, already i flew back from overseas with no issues. 

3 hours ago, seaman11 said:

tenor.gif

New home ports in North America here we come. They can't stop us!!!

I am sure its not the last one. I am surprised that there so few of them really. I would expect the North American to be like the top notch when it comes to the number of ports. Well, we will have to wait and see

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 11:45 AM, detwings said:

You are free to disagree but giving false analogies weakens your argument.  Cruises were the poster child of COVID just one year ago.  I can recall only one person dying on an aircraft from Covid and he did pass it to 2 passengers who tried to revive him.   Passengers on cruise ships on lockdown spread it to hundreds of passengers and they were stranded at sea.  On Aircraft people keep their masks on. On Cruise ships passengers are crammed together dining and other activities.  But in any event a few more months and things will be rolling.  IMHO the date is artificial and can be changed to an earlier date or later date depending on conditions.  I am sorry I took your bait of such a ridiculous statement to think the CDC is trying to bankrupt an industry is insane.  Should the CDC not look out for the well being of citizens?  That's their job.  Its science based and not emotion based i.e. trying to bankrupt cruising.  I don't know your age but if you are young you may want to read about the early days of the AIDS epidemic.  The government knew the HIV virus was in the blood supply yet DID NOTHING.  Countless people checked into hospitals for simply surgeries and were infected with the AIDS virus and died within 2 years.  That is what you get when the government who's basic role is to protect its citizens does NOTHING.  The government with COVID set standards to protect people.  The cruise line refused to stop sailing and cancel cruises and told all of their passengers they would be safe.  Cruise lines are experts and quarantining viruses.  However with Covid they met their match.  Even under quarantine 4 cases turned into 400.  People were stranded at sea, died, and then passengers were quarantined on land.  Covid is on the rise again in Florida and spiking again because of Spring Break in Miami.  Covid is rising again in other areas even though the vaccine is here.  If just one passenger got COVID on a ship again, it would be the death nail to cruising.  Unless everyone is vaccinated, I don't see how its safe to let cruising resume except for selfish reasons of course.

22 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Covid is on the rise again in Florida and spiking again because of Spring Break in Miami.  Covid is rising again in other areas even though the vaccine is here.  

I'm not really seeing it.

CDC COVID Data Tracker

That said, my concern is that the government paints too rosy a picture and it leads to fence sitters deciding to skip the vaccine.  I get my second Pfizer in two weeks and will just be glad to be done with it. 😎  Just about every pharmacy in my area is giving shots now and it's about as painless as going to the store to pick up some groceries.  I'm guessing that as a cruising forum, we probably as a group are much more receptive to the vaccines.  I'm on a sports forum that is the polar opposite.

• Like 2