Vegan food on Celebrity

Thascales

What are the vegan options on Celebrity cruises lie? We have a friend who is considering it and wondered what their experience would be like. Are there any cruise lines that are particularly good for vegans?

I asked that very question via online chat with Celebrity. The person I was speaking to answered with samples of menus. There is a vegetarian and vegan option every night. The dishes sounded really good.

Now a question of which I can give great insight and details on!!!

We have been sailing X for seven (7) years or so now and I must say that on the first sailing I accepted what the menu provided...

Subsequent sailings I found by talking with the Chef and letting them know what you like or not, it is a whole different world!

Talk to the Chef you think? Yes, I recommend taking the food tour offered and you get to see the kitchen and interact with the Chefs, food runners and etc.. OR you can just speak with the Maitre d' and they will arrange for you also. In specialty restaurants, let the Maitre d' know 24 hours in advance if possible.

On our Alaskan sailing a few years back, the pastry Chef was phenomenal, he had pastries ready each morning for me in Cafe Al Bacio (even though I found that on some mornings others were clamouring for them too) and at dinner each night he prepared a different dessert for me with the last night a Grand Presentation of each dessert and pastry he made for me throughout the sailing....

Net-Net, We vegans have nothing to worry about. We can modify menu items to a great degree as you can get the menu the night before to order dinner... as for myself, I told the Chef to prepare whatever they wanted just as long as it was different each night..

Delicious... to say the least. We have many options to eat aboard, so no worries. of course there is a good variety in the buffet, as well.

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 6

We have had excellent experiences while on board Celebrity as strict vegetarians / sloppy vegans (I still eat cheese from time to time).

Whether in the Main Dining Room, BLU, Luminae, or the Specialty Restaurants - ALL venues have been very accommodating to our dietary lifestyle.  

Recently, as well - the Oceanview Buffet have had a “Vegan Station” which was very popular on our sailings for Vegans / Non-Vegans alike!

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

We have been sailing X for seven (7) years or so now and I must say that on the first sailing I accepted what the menu provided...

Subsequent sailings I found by talking with the Chef and letting them know what you like or not, it is a whole different world!

Talk to the Chef you think? Yes, I recommend taking the food tour offered and you get to see the kitchen and interact with the Chefs, food runners and etc.. OR you can just speak with the Maitre d' and they will arrange for you also. In specialty restaurants, let the Maitre d' know 24 hours in advance if possible.

On our Alaskan sailing a few years back, the pastry Chef was phenomenal, he had pastries ready each morning for me in Cafe Al Bacio (even though I found that on some mornings others were clamouring for them too) and at dinner each night he prepared a different dessert for me with the last night a Grand Presentation of each dessert and pastry he made for me throughout the sailing....

Net-Net, We vegans have nothing to worry about. We can modify menu items to a great degree as you can get the menu the night before to order dinner... as for myself, I told the Chef to prepare whatever they wanted just as long as it was different each night..

Delicious... to say the least. We have many options to eat aboard, so no worries. of course there is a good variety in the buffet, as well.

Bo - I knew this question would be in your wheelhouse! 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We have had several family cruises on Royal Caribbean - 6 are Vegans and the MDR had a Vegan menu and the chef each night prepared special dishes for them - including desserts. We let our TA know of the dietary needs and they put that notation on our reservations - worked well.

9 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Curious what kind of dishes they did, Bo?

We're neither vegan nor vegetarian, but do quite a big of vegetarian at home. One thing I remember on RCI "back in the day", was a good selection of I guess what you'd call home country dishes. At one point, there was always something Indian, or Indonesian, or inspired by those sorts of dishes. And they were wonderful! We've been doing a lot of Mediterranean dishes at home this year for health (and weight, but slow weight loss...) reasons, and those are heavily vegetarian (with a lot of cheese, so not vegan). I seem to recall some of that at the Oceanview on our two X cruises, but memory can be a funny thing at times.

Obviously one big advantage in any commercial kitchen is the ready availability of raw ingredients. You're going to have beans, fresh tomatoes, onion, potato, other vegetables, stocks, spices, pastas, etc. handy because you use them for other dishes.

6 minutes ago, markeb said:

Curious what kind of dishes they did, Bo?

We're neither vegan nor vegetarian, but do quite a big of vegetarian at home. One thing I remember on RCI "back in the day", was a good selection of I guess what you'd call home country dishes. At one point, there was always something Indian, or Indonesian, or inspired by those sorts of dishes. And they were wonderful! We've been doing a lot of Mediterranean dishes at home this year for health (and weight, but slow weight loss...) reasons, and those are heavily vegetarian (with a lot of cheese, so not vegan). I seem to recall some of that at the Oceanview on our two X cruises, but memory can be a funny thing at times.

Obviously one big advantage in any commercial kitchen is the ready availability of raw ingredients. You're going to have beans, fresh tomatoes, onion, potato, other vegetables, stocks, spices, pastas, etc. handy because you use them for other dishes.

m - I had all different types of meals, from Indian, Asian, Middle Eastern, African and American.... dahl, stir fries, falafel, etc... of course when dining in Specialty, then the cuisine of the restaurant we were in.

It depended on the Chef who was responsible for special meals and their depth of experience of various cuisines...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If I follow Bo's advice and talk to the Chef, maybe I can get some better steaks. 😀

Quite possibly i, quite possibly... does not hurt to try!!!

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If I follow Bo's advice and talk to the Chef, maybe I can get some better steaks. 😀

I've always had good steaks on X but lamb? Any lamb I've had on X has been very disappointing, even on Australian/New Zealand cruises, it was more like mutton.

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I have only seen this on one cruise but it was impressive.  The sous chef in charge was proud of it as you can tell.  Night after night the offerings varied.

636F8612-4432-47BE-9312-F6E4A08C7B9B.jpeg

6BB7F467-1465-4EA3-B56E-E0DECBEDE0F9.jpeg

11A0D2CF-1453-4CB9-8199-8B6D390470EA.jpeg

168A8E9C-8C04-46DD-B71A-CD81E0FB9331.jpeg

A3EC1D8C-525D-41DE-AEC1-9EFD748C537C.jpeg

We had a similar experience where the Sous Chef was quite proud of the offerings.  Each day the offerings varied and were very good.

One of our best experiences ever was in Luminae with Chef Abinash.  When he found out we were vegetarians, he went out of his way to surprise us each day.

He asked what was one of my favourite Indian dishes and VOILA!  the next day at lunch he proudly presented to us delicious Dahl and Prata

Luminae:  Special Lunch from Chef Abinash

The next day he surprised us with a beautiful curry dish for dinner

Luminae:  Special Dinner from Chef Abinash

It was such an amazing week and Chef Abinash was just a gem!!

Luminae - Maitre'D Laurence & Sous Chef Abinash

• Like 1