NCL Cruising out of Jamaica and Dominican Republic in August!

JamieLogical

The tiny snowball is getting larger every day. I now count at least 6 foreign countries that will be hosting cruise ship embarkations:

St Maarten

Jamaica

Dominican Republic

Bahamas

Barbados

Greece

Looks like the cruise industry has had it with the CDC.

Edited by DCGuy64
added Greece to list
  • Like 4

I wonder how the supply lines are in some of those ports as far as provisioning a large ship. No doubt there's less competition for the contract - and probably higher prices owing to everything having to get shipped in to begin with.

I'm sure they'll figure out the nuts and bolts - just pleased to see "alternate solutions"!

Tom

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I wonder how the supply lines are in some of those ports as far as provisioning a large ship. No doubt there's less competition for the contract - and probably higher prices owing to everything having to get shipped in to begin with.

I'm sure they'll figure out the nuts and bolts - just pleased to see "alternate solutions"!

Tom

Well for the Greek Isles, the logistics are already in place to support all of the European cruise lines.  For some of the smaller Caribbean islands it will likely add a little pressure on their usual supply channels to support the island itself.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 3:45 PM, HuliHuli said:

Well for the Greek Isles, the logistics are already in place to support all of the European cruise lines.  For some of the smaller Caribbean islands it will likely add a little pressure on their usual supply channels to support the island itself.

There are a lot of resorts in the islands with similar needs to cruise lines.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 1:43 PM, sid_9169 said:

Just put a courtesy hold for the Joy on August 7th... I've had it with the CDC jerking us around for over a year now...

I hear you, enough is enough! The CDC has become a complete sham.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 1:34 PM, Sand and Seas said:

I wonder about flights to Punta Cana.   Montego Bay should be able to handle the volume.

Good to see they are starting cruises😎

Punta Cana already sees a lot of tourist traffic - it's a resort hub.  I can't speak to the US, but there are direct flights from Toronto, Montreal, and other Canadian cities, at least.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 9:58 AM, JamieLogical said:

The Joy is going to be sailing from Montego Bay and the Gem will be sailing out of Punta Cana. Already got a courtesy hold on the Joy for the week I was supposed to be sailing to Alaska. Hooray!

Yeah!

If you go, let us know how it goes. We’re kinda wary about the Montego Bay Area.

We booked a cruise on the Adventure out of Nassau in June. Lots of unknowns with the Bahamas Covid entry requirements. It’s easy if you are flying in for a vacation. Coming in for a cruise, leaving for 7 days and reentering not at an airport doesn’t compute in their online system. 

• Like 1

Well I booked Greece on Jade for 10/03. Originally had a 10 day Northern Europe on Star for 10/03, my travel agent thinks there is more of a chance of the Jade Greece sailing then the Star, especially with multiple countries who may not be on same page.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yeah!

If you go, let us know how it goes. We’re kinda wary about the Montego Bay Area.

We booked a cruise on the Adventure out of Nassau in June. Lots of unknowns with the Bahamas Covid entry requirements. It’s easy if you are flying in for a vacation. Coming in for a cruise, leaving for 7 days and reentering not at an airport doesn’t compute in their online system. 

I was sorely tempted when RCCL announced their Adventure of the Seas sailings for the summer, but I decided to hold out and see if NCL would do something similar. Glad I waited, as I definitely prefer to sail with NCL, especially with all the FCC on our accounts right now! Hope your RCCL sailing goes well. I follow the La Lido Loca youtube channel and Tony will be sailing on RCCL in June. Can't wait to see his videos!

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 10:24 AM, DCGuy64 said:

The tiny snowball is getting larger every day. I now count at least 6 foreign countries that will be hosting cruise ship embarkations:

St Maarten

Jamaica

Dominican Republic

Bahamas

Barbados

Greece

Looks like the cruise industry has had it with the CDC.

Yes, they're giving the CDC "the double rods".

On 4/6/2021 at 1:34 PM, Sand and Seas said:

I wonder about flights to Punta Cana.   Montego Bay should be able to handle the volume.

Good to see they are starting cruises😎

I'm booked on the Gem (which will actually be operating out of La Romana, DR because that's where the cruise terminal is). I was able to book a r/t flight to Punta Cana (from Grand Rapids, MI). One stop each way; in Newark, NJ on the way down & in Washington Dulles on the return flight. Layover times are 1 hr & 1 1/2 hr, respectively. Airfare: $500 (for economy) but I need the extra legroom so, I booked Economy + for $200 more so, $700 total.

There weren't that many flights to Punta Cana (who would've thought that there was an International airport there, lol) but there were more to Santo Domingo, DR, which is a big city so the airport there will be able to handle any increased volume of flights. The cruise port in La Romana is midway between Santo Domingo to the west and Punta Cana up the coast to the east. I'm also booked on a hotel in Punta Cana (and the rate was very reasonable).

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 1:43 PM, sid_9169 said:

Just put a courtesy hold for the Joy on August 7th... I've had it with the CDC jerking us around for over a year now...

Yes! I'm giving the CDC the "double rods" myself. I've had it with Ms CDC Director and her "impending doom" and her "being afraid". She deserves an Emmy.

20 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

Punta Cana already sees a lot of tourist traffic - it's a resort hub.  I can't speak to the US, but there are direct flights from Toronto, Montreal, and other Canadian cities, at least.

Looks like from here (U.S.) there are direct flights to Punta Cana from Newark, NJ (EWR) and Washington Dulles (IAD). I'm connecting in both airports coming from and returning to Grand Rapids, MI.

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I follow the La Lido Loca youtube channel and Tony will be sailing on RCCL in June. Can't wait to see his videos!

I love Tony and his La Lido YouTube channel. "Hey, hey, hey...let's talk about it. Thanks in advance".