Officers and crew on NCL ships 2021; "Where are They Now"

casofilia

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Travel Junkie Judy said:

I would certainly hope that Brian Walters is the Hotel Director (or whatever they are called now) for the SUN.  He is the best.  We will be on the Getaway in September and I will try to remember to post here once we are onboard. 

Judy

Please do!  We will be on the getaway in dec!

4 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

Errol Bailey (formerly of Getaway) is currently GM on the Gem and Deepak Punia is Encore's GM.

Errol Bailey is only supposed to be on The Gem and then returning to his regular on The Breakaway. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 7:16 PM, derek005 said:

Jose will be missed. What a great person! Errol is with HAL and will be missed as well, but we still have the Chocolate Cowboy!!!!!!!

Jose was one of the nicest, kindest people I've ever met.  I was lucky enough to meet his family and they are all just as nice.  Of course (I'm guessing) we all know and love his son,  David and know that he is grieving a lot.  David will be on the Getaway this fall.  So will we.  Yea!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Travel Junkie Judy said:

Bev Mgr on the Getaway is Dindo Ramos.  I don't know him, but look forward to meeting him.

So, is the thought that Errol Bailey will be back on the Getaway?  This our first time on GA, but we love BA, so I'm sure we'll love this too!  

Judy

According to Errol Bailey, he will only be on The Gem for a couple of months.  Then he will go back to the Breakaway.  If things go according to schedule.  Errol and the GM who had been on The Breakaway, have traded ships.

• 1 month later...

Just got off the Gem on October 3. Here are the senior hotel officers:

General Manager: Vitor Da Silva

F&B Director: Ionela Oprisan

Cruise Director: Marzena Slodyczka 

Executive Housekeeper: Cesar Hapa 

Executive Chef: Noriel Alicaway 

Restaurant Manager: Adrian Dumitru 

Beverage Manager: Mohamed Siyabdeen 

Guest Service Manager: Carolene Macapagal

Concierge: Virginia Brotherton 

Does anyone know if Hal Broome (sp?) is still with NCL?

He was the Executive Housekeeper on one sailing of ours a few years ago, and he was a huge help with a significant problem (nothing that NCL did "wrong" - it was a very serious medical/allergy situation).

We did get to see him on another ship about 2-3 years later, which was very nice.

Thanks.

GC

So maybe I'm just oblivious.

I travel about once a year (skipped 2020, obviously!) but if you asked me the name of any senior staff you'd get a blank stare from me.  Should I be acquainting myself with these people?

I've remembered the names of certain bartenders or blackjack dealers for a while, but then even those names fade from memory. My second cruise, on the Dawn, was exactly a year after my Epic cruise.  A blackjack dealer remembered me and I was floored (not sure if I made a good or bad first impression!)  Turns out she (Ukranian) and her husband (Romanian, who also remembered me) met on a ship, married, had a kid, and were on their last contract before settling in to raise their family.  But I didn't even remember them; they recognized me!

Edited by phillygwm

@phillygwm

Should I be acquainting myself with these people?

YES!!

If you ever have a problem there are two things that help; the list with phone numbers that you get at a M&G and previous personal contact with officers.   

Things you can do to help; put POSITIVE comments into the "Dear GM" box at the front desk; put in suggestions when you find something wrong; write comments for the Shorex Manager about any shorex you do; attend the "Dine with Officers" if you are "senior" a bit.   All these will get you a response and often a face to face.

If you are known then you will get "preferential" teatment.

7 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

So maybe I'm just oblivious.

I travel about once a year (skipped 2020, obviously!) but if you asked me the name of any senior staff you'd get a blank stare from me.  Should I be acquainting myself with these people?

I've remembered the names of certain bartenders or blackjack dealers for a while, but then even those names fade from memory. My second cruise, on the Dawn, was exactly a year after my Epic cruise.  A blackjack dealer remembered me and I was floored (not sure if I made a good or bad first impression!)  Turns out she (Ukranian) and her husband (Romanian, who also remembered me) met on a ship, married, had a kid, and were on their last contract before settling in to raise their family.  But I didn't even remember them; they recognized me!

It's quite a skill!

There are some people, especially in the hospitality business (no surprise), who have the MOST AMAZING ability to remember faces and names for a phenomenal amount of time.  I do *not* know how they do it.  I'd have trouble an hour later.  No, five minutes later sometimes! 

It really astonishes me sometimes, and it can also be embarrassing when someone like that recognizes me and I am totally clueless about who they are. 

However, it's impressive and it also does have a nice effect.

GC

7 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Does anyone know if Hal Broome (sp?) is still with NCL?

He was the Executive Housekeeper on one sailing of ours a few years ago, and he was a huge help with a significant problem (nothing that NCL did "wrong" - it was a very serious medical/allergy situation).

We did get to see him on another ship about 2-3 years later, which was very nice.

Thanks.

GC

A crew member friend In a housekeeping  department) just told me, he does not think Hal is with Norwegian anymore.  

6 hours ago, www3traveler said:

A crew member friend In a housekeeping  department) just told me, he does not think Hal is with Norwegian anymore.  

Thanks.

Too bad that we won't have a chance to run into him anymore.

Actually, given the pandemic and travel cutbacks, I suppose quite a few people everywhere in the travel industry aren't/won't be "back"...

GC

13 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

It's quite a skill!

There are some people, especially in the hospitality business (no surprise), who have the MOST AMAZING ability to remember faces and names for a phenomenal amount of time.  I do *not* know how they do it.  I'd have trouble an hour later.  No, five minutes later sometimes! 

It really astonishes me sometimes, and it can also be embarrassing when someone like that recognizes me and I am totally clueless about who they are. 

However, it's impressive and it also does have a nice effect.

GC

I know what you mean. It is an impressive skill.  I sometimes have trouble remembering my children's names.  On the first NCL cruise we ever took, we met Maitre D' Harold Plunkett, from Ocho Rios, Jamaica.  He's a longtime NCL employee and a very dynamic individual.  Over the years, we've come across him on four more cruises, and he's always remembered us.  One might think he says this to all repeat cruisers, because how could he possibly remember the thousands of people he's met over the years?  But each time we saw him, he'd say to me, "you wore that tux with the pink bow tie." (Shameless product plug for Vineyard Vines).  The thing is, I never never wore that particular tie again, but he still recognized us.  Pretty impressive.  The best part is that he'd always tell us to call him for dinner reservations, and we'd get a window seat.  Meanwhile, I'm trying to remember why I walked into the kitchen.

43 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks.

Too bad that we won't have a chance to run into him anymore.

Actually, given the pandemic and travel cutbacks, I suppose quite a few people everywhere in the travel industry aren't/won't be "back"...

GC

Yes, I know of a couple that will not be back.  One extended his leave of absence to deal with a family issue and another found a land based job in his home country.