Face Masks and Cruising

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Yes they would be good friends as always and forever.  

I wish PM Trudeau would reach out to President Biden and come to an arrangement.  They both say we have a great relationship, and if they are sitting idle in that plant they would certainly be used here or anywhere else for that matter.  Canadians would certainly send our excess doses to others that would need them, that’s what we do.

The faster we are vaccinated the sooner our neighbours to the south can come and visit Canada again.  Maybe Alaska 2022 cruises can happen.🙂

He shouldn't have to do that.  We aren't flipping using them - anyone with a good conscience would just send them elsewhere!  Christ!!!!  SHOTS IN ARMS = good for the world.

Love Canada - Banff & Vancouver/Whistler are my fav spots.  Was supposed to go to Nova Scotia in September but Justin axed that.  Maybe next year

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

All starts with leadership. Our Prime Minister is a drama teacher who bungled up our vaccine procurement to embarrassing levels. He made a deal with the Chinese for vaccines early on and of course they reneged on the deal. Now we're taking vaccines from Covax which were meant for third world countries. 

Our Ontario Premier is a college dropout and former known drug dealer, you may know his infamous now deceased younger brother who was Mayor of Toronto.  He has ignored the experts from day 1 and instead has been playing politics and making poor decision after poor decision. One example of a poor decision would be to ignore known postal code hot spots and instead designating high income ridings that are held by their political party hot spots. 

It's all just so embarrassing really. 

Interesting. We don't normally get the nitty-gritty Canadian news on this side of the border.   Then again, provinces, premieres, and prime ministers are all rather foreign concepts that are ill-understood by most here. 

27 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Kind of like the Oscars this weekend - attendees must wear masks DURING COMMERCIALS or if they aren't on camera.  Wouldn't want their dumb opinions to be hindered by a pesky covid19 mask while accepting an award on stage now would we?  

Its ok, I'm sure they will be 6 ft apart. 

Hypocrites all

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

We would definitely accept it. As soon as our Province announced they were opening up AZ to those 40 and over the system crashed. We're all ready and willing and wait listed.......

34 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

I'm sitting in my office about 10 minutes from a warehouse of 30 million unused doses of Astra in

West Chester, Ohio.  Wish our leadership would be good friends and send to Canada or elsewhere who would get them in arms!  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/us/politics/coronavirus-astrazeneca-united-states.html

U.S. politicians are far more concerned with helping countries that hate us. They will never learn that you can't buy friends.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Maybe I misunderstand your DR’s comment. How does it benefit his conservative base?

Would it not go against his base to cancel golf?  Aren’t golfers supposed to be typically affluent based or at least have excess funds, the stereotypical view of golfers? Paying green fees, buying clubs, cart rental, members dues etc are not cheap for playing at even a city run course.  It only goes up from there. 

I find your DRs comment confusing as lawyers, Senior Union Reps, DRs, politicians, construction workers and people from all spectrums play golf.  They also vote different ways, if they even vote at all.

There is no political base for golfers that I am aware of.  One needs sufficient funds and time, and I don’t personally see many front line workers who earn minimum wage hitting the links frequently when they struggle to get by on a normal day.  These clearly are not his base either. 

Really, cruises are not much different. It attracts all types politically, but you need money to do it.

Oh, sorry I could have been more clear with what I was trying to say. Emotional times and all. I had a conversation with my Dr. about the safety and necessity of outdoor activities, I extrapolated the politics out of that on my own. By his base I mean the retired folks on pensions who aren't really affected by the lockdowns other than being inconvenienced a tad. Folks (pun intended) like my inlaws who have been retired for 8 years and split time between their home and cottage and watch tv news constantly. They were upset at the possibility that their grandkids couldn't play with the swing set at the park but couldn't care less about golf because they don't partake. I do, can ya tell?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, D C said:

Interesting. We don't normally get the nitty-gritty Canadian news on this side of the border.   Then again, provinces, premieres, and prime ministers are all rather foreign concepts that are ill-understood by most here. 

Our PM is pretty photogenic is the only complement that I could ever give him. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, D C said:

Moving around (walking past other tables to use the restroom, for example) puts people in close proximity for a fleeting moment.  The chances of an inoculating dose of virus being exchanged in that brief time is very small compared with the chances of aerosol particles wafting from one table to the next over the course  of an hour+ dinner because the ventilation system happens to blow just enough to immerse the next table over.  

Now you've done it. You had to inject some common sense into the discussion.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Hypocrites all

Who are more than willing to tell us how we should all live our lives while they get paid millions of dollars for working in their fantasy world underneath the Hollywood sign.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Oh, sorry I could have been more clear with what I was trying to say. Emotional times and all. I had a conversation with my Dr. about the safety and necessity of outdoor activities, I extrapolated the politics out of that on my own. By his base I mean the retired folks on pensions who aren't really affected by the lockdowns other than being inconvenienced a tad. Folks (pun intended) like my inlaws who have been retired for 8 years and split time between their home and cottage and watch tv news constantly. They were upset at the possibility that their grandkids couldn't play with the swing set at the park but couldn't care less about golf because they don't partake. I do, can ya tell?

That makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the explanation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

I'm sitting in my office about 10 minutes from a warehouse of 30 million unused doses of Astra in

West Chester, Ohio.  Wish our leadership would be good friends and send to Canada or elsewhere who would get them in arms!  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/us/politics/coronavirus-astrazeneca-united-states.html

The article you cite states that the doses would be used in the US one/if the FDA completes its testing and authorizes them for use.  Only if they are determined to not be same would they become "wasted".

How much are other countries willing to pay for what the US invested hundreds of millions of dollars in?

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

What confuses me is that Canadians have had tighter restrictions compared to Texas for awhile. Why are your numbers so much higher?

One other  thing I must mention because I have defended it on here in the past. Universal socialized healthcare only works if it's funded properly, and years of health care cuts have left us just unable to cope with the magnitude of this pandemic. And in the last 12 months and more we have nothing to bolster said capacity. It's become glaringly obvious that our healthcare system is broken and was on it's way even before the pandemic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Well, let me just say this. It depends on the source where you get your information. This is truly BS. These theories have been debunked by reputable sources, including the scientific community. Believe what you like. I will stick with reliable sources for my information.

Masks have been used for more years than I have been alive (that a LOT of years)  in the medical field as source control. Why, now would they become ineffective and cause psychological and physical problems among our population. Why???? because what you have posted is BS. That's why.

8 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

You have to admit that is a pretty detailed scientific study and report. I think what makes it unreliable in your estimation is that the contents do not fall into your narative. So as a result, you wish to dismiss the study as unreliable, debunked from unreputable sources, and I quote, "BS".  I do not believe you even read this 'science' report and the findings. You're just another one that believes science is the be all and end all of everything, as long as the science fits into your beliefs. 

'Debunked from unreputable sources'?  What about your fellow Texan (an actual virologist) talking about this paper:

"This is a list of generally discredited hypotheses that have been tested and disproved," said Benjamin Neuman, biology professor at Texas A&M University and chief virologist of the university’s Global Health Research Complex. "This seems to be a piece of deceptive writing from what appears to be a non-expert. It isn't science."

By the way, I've read the paper and commented on in Post #114 in case you missed it.  I don't know enough to critique the 'mask dangers' part in detail, but the mask efficacy part is misleading, in my opinion. 

Also, it appears to be a 'pay-to-publish' article.  For a mere $1850, you or I could maybe get our own 'scientific' paper!

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, billslowsky said:

The article you cite states that the doses would be used in the US one/if the FDA completes its testing and authorizes them for use.  Only if they are determined to not be same would they become "wasted".

How much are other countries willing to pay for what the US invested hundreds of millions of dollars in?

Race against time.  Shots in arms is the ultimate goal right now.  Send them to Canada, Brazil, etc.

This is USA - we wipe our butts with dollar bills.  Just send them elsewhere for free.  Not a big deal

• Like 3

Just now, TheMastodon said:

Race against time.  Shots in arms is the ultimate goal right now.  Send them to Canada, Brazil, etc.

This is USA - we wipe our butts with dollar bills.  Just send them elsewhere for free.  Not a big deal

The "race against time" includes Americans under 65 and the May deadline set forth by the president.  Those doses are part of addressing that objective.

Feel free to donate to the other countries as you wish.

1 minute ago, billslowsky said:

The "race against time" includes Americans under 65 and the May deadline set forth by the president.  Those doses are part of addressing that objective.

Feel free to donate to the other countries as you wish.

It’s not a race against time for us - we are doing just fine getting shots in arms.   Just saying if other countries have approved Astra then give it to them.  We have a steady flow of Moderna and Pfizer... 

8 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

And we'd gladly pay handsomely for them!!

• Like 1

Just now, Mapleleafforever said:

And we'd gladly pay handsomely for them!!

Probably, but the US went through being ripped domestically for selling PPE to other countries early in 2020, when there were local shortages.  And the respirator shortages.  Not likely to go through that again either.  Eventually, the lessons learned will be forgotten, but not yet.

Add to that the supply disruption recently from the clotting complications in J&J patients.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was in a doctors office last year.Everyone working there ,the office staff and doctors wore masks not covering their nose.I walked out .

Good for you. Hope you let them know why you were going to walk out.

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Probably, but the US went through being ripped domestically for selling PPE to other countries early in 2020, when there were local shortages.  And the respirator shortages.  Not likely to go through that again either.  Eventually, the lessons learned will be forgotten, but not yet.

Add to that the supply disruption recently from the clotting complications in J&J patients.  

China played this brilliantly.  It’s amazing how dumb people are.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

You have to admit that is a pretty detailed scientific study and report. I think what makes it unreliable in your estimation is that the contents do not fall into your narative. So as a result, you wish to dismiss the study as unreliable, debunked from unreputable sources, and I quote, "BS".  I do not believe you even read this 'science' report and the findings. You're just another one that believes science is the be all and end all of everything, as long as the science fits into your beliefs. 

I will always believe the science over conspiracy theories and unreliable sources.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Thank God those days are gone. Restaurants are finally wising up. They of course like all business' followed local and state requirements to remain open and obtain revenue. But finally here in Houston most business' have adopted the 'masks are now optional' which is how it should be.  

I'm in Central Florida in the largest retirement golf cart community in the world. The restaurants in my area still request masking when not seated and, because we are a large population of older folks, most (my guestimation is 95%) people still mask. I'm very thankful for that. Most of us are vaccinated here but we still mask up per the CDC guidelines. All restaurant employees mask up too as per their restaurant policy.

• Like 1