Coffee Card

Cruiser-66

On 4/15/2021 at 4:34 PM, knutsonl said:

My situation is that my husband doesn't drink coffee or alcohol.  I believe if I purchase a package he also needs to purchase one.  That's a lot of money to spend when only used by myself.  I used to be able to just buy a coffee card and I was set for the cruise.  Just wondering what my options are?  I'm Platinum so I already get free WIFI.  Don't think the Princess Plus would benefit me.  Can anyone enlighten me?

As at last sailing on Princess this was not the case.  One person in a cabin can buy whatever package they want with no requirement for the others to do the same. 
Are you aware of a new rule that I missed?

The only time this would apply is if you purchased your cruise with the "included addons" of drink package, wifi, gratuities.   Then all people in the cabin must be on the same pricing plan.  

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 4:34 PM, knutsonl said:

My situation is that my husband doesn't drink coffee or alcohol.  I believe if I purchase a package he also needs to purchase one.  That's a lot of money to spend when only used by myself.  I used to be able to just buy a coffee card and I was set for the cruise.  Just wondering what my options are?  I'm Platinum so I already get free WIFI.  Don't think the Princess Plus would benefit me.  Can anyone enlighten me?

2 hours ago, cruisintoddler said:

As at last sailing on Princess this was not the case.  One person in a cabin can buy whatever package they want with no requirement for the others to do the same. 
Are you aware of a new rule that I missed?

The only time this would apply is if you purchased your cruise with the "included addons" of drink package, wifi, gratuities.   Then all people in the cabin must be on the same pricing plan.  

I think there may be some confusion.  @cruisintoddler is correct.  Any of the packages sold through Cruise Personalizer or On Board can be purchased by the individual.  If caught sharing, the package is cancelled forthwith and no refund. 

If you book the cruise with the Princess Plus option, that fare includes the Premier Beverage Pkg and must apply to at least the first two in the cabin.  It is not possible to have two different fare types in the same cabin booking. 

The PBP is sold online at $71/pp/day (rounded), including bar service gratuities. 

The Princess Plus is normally $40/pp/day cruise fare bump.  However, that includes gratuities valued at $14.50/pp/day (most staterooms) and there is also a value for the unlimited internet access.  Most people put the drink package portion of the Plus package at around $20/pp/day.  (It depends on if Elite/Platinum and what the internet cost is for a particular voyage).  Regardless, it is easily seen that 2 Plus packages are less than paying for one PBP on its own. 

Therefore, if even only one person wants the PBP, it makes more sense to book with the Plus option.

If you only want the coffee package, I think it may be bundled with soda or something.  As others have said, you will be able to buy something on board.  If you can still purchase a "coffee only" (New Grounds) package on board, the going price seems to be about $36+change per above posts.  You will get unlimited regular coffee/tea/hot chocolate, plus 15 specialty drinks to use during the cruise.  You can share or give away any of the 15 specialty drinks, but only the passenger who "owns" the package gets the free coffee/tea/hot chocolate. 

If you get the coffee & soda package, that looks to be $23+/pp/day.  At that rate, you may as well book the Princess Plus fare again as you have access to more included beverages for the same price/value (say ~$20/pp/day, net of internet and gratuities value). 

If all you want is coffee, well then just compare your consumption to what is included in the package that used to be the former Coffee Card (New Grounds).  If for some reason, it is no longer going to be offered on board, then you will just have to pay-as-you-go.

Platinum/Elite Internet:  Yes, there is some free minutes, but this is not free for the voyage unlimited.  Unless you are a light or very light user of internet during the cruise, it is better to purchase the package on board and you get a discount in lieu of the free minutes.  Hence, there is some value in the package.  But if you attach $0 value to unlimited internet, then your value for the PBP is $40 - $14.50/pp/day - unless in a mini or suite where grats cost more.

You are questioning the value in the PLUS.  I agree that it can be of little value to some people.  I am one of those.  We are Elite and get a bar setup in the cabin.  This gives us 8 beers and a bunch of Perrier (how we swap the contents to our choice).  I normally buy the pre-cruise water package.  I normally being on my own wine.  On top of that, would not normally spend enough on drinks to get the value of the PLUS drink portion - even though it is a great value.  I would go with PLUS if I was not doing BYOB with wine. 

Without going into more details, I have done analysis on cruises we have booked recently and the best I have come up with is a difference of one bar drink each per day (using my own value for the PLUS and our normal consumption habits).  We might order a couple each max for the whole cruise, so if not drinking those extra drinks every day, why pay them?  So, we usually book the Princess Saver and pay-as-we-go.  But I am open to the PLUS if it makes sense some day.  Don't sweat it if it doesn't make sense for you.

Edited by Steelers36

On 4/23/2021 at 7:59 PM, Steelers36 said:

If you can still purchase a "coffee only" (New Grounds) package on board. .... we usually book the Princess Saver and pay-as-we-go.  But I am open to the PLUS if it makes sense some day.  

I have never used up my 'free' minutes, trade my minibar for the coffee program (traded once for a bottle of undrinkable wine .... better carrying 2 bottles onboard and supplementing in MSR), and just pay gratuities.  But I looked for Coffee Program in my future cruises and only PBP & Classic Soda Pkg show up. So I might have to look at the B.S.E. in the future if it holds true as I drink at least 2 lattes each morning and cocoa at night. That's $12 a day by itself 🙄 

12 hours ago, Ombud said:

I have never used up my 'free' minutes, trade my minibar for the coffee program (traded once for a bottle of undrinkable wine .... better carrying 2 bottles onboard and supplementing in MSR), and just pay gratuities.  But I looked for Coffee Program in my future cruises and only PBP & Classic Soda Pkg show up. So I might have to look at the B.S.E. in the future if it holds true as I drink at least 2 lattes each morning and cocoa at night. That's $12 a day by itself 🙄 

Princes Plus fares, which do not depend on BSE or any other sale, include the beverage package as well as gratuities and Internet. BSE just added other perks and these perks were available if you booked Princess Savers or Princess Plus fares.

11 hours ago, caribill said:

Princes Plus fares, which do not depend on BSE or any other sale, include the beverage package as well as gratuities and Internet. BSE just added other perks and these perks were available if you booked Princess Savers or Princess Plus fares.

Got it. I'm not interested in Princess Plus fares if I can trade my minibar for the coffee program. I already get enough WiFi minutes

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Got it. I'm not interested in Princess Plus fares if I can trade my minibar for the coffee program. I already get enough WiFi minutes

Yes you can. Once on board call room service and ask to trade your mini bar  for two specialty coffee packages. If there are two in your cabin one package will be placed on each account, 15 specialty coffees each, plus unlimited brewed coffee, specialty teas and hot chocolate. 

4 hours ago, skynight said:

Yes you can. Once on board call room service and ask to trade your mini bar  for two specialty coffee packages. If there are two in your cabin one package will be placed on each account, 15 specialty coffees each, plus unlimited brewed coffee, specialty teas and hot chocolate. 

Yes that's how it was on my December 2019 cruise, hope it's the same on my December 2021 cruise

Princess Plus vs Coffee Card:

Princess Plus = unlimited coffee and coffee drinks plus the alcohol package.

Coffee Card = 15 coffee drinks. Period.

Princess Plus: Vanilla Latte with a shot of Jameson. No "punches"

Coffee Card: Vanilla Latte = 1 "punch" and adding a shot of Jameson  is $8.50

Princess Plus: Red Eye Coffee = Okay

Black Eye Coffee = Okay

Coffee Card: Red Eye Coffee = 2 Punches, Black Eye Coffee = 3 Punches

I totally get it about folks who don't drink much alcohol. It's the fact that the gratuities are included that make Princess Plus totally worth it. The other stuff amounts to very little extra per day.

On 4/15/2021 at 4:26 PM, Astro Flyer said:

It shows available for our Fall 2021 cruise: Onboard Services; Beverage Packages

9753E284-ECB5-4A5B-8876-82FE4875512F.jpeg

I also cant find the Coffee Package.  On my booking on the Ruby, under On Board Services, Beverage Packages there's two options listed:  The Premier Beverage Package at 70.79 per day and the Classic Soda Package at 11.79 per day.  No Coffee, no water listed to purchase in a separate package.  It used to be you could also purchase small 375 oz bottles of alcohol such as Vodka, Whiskey, cant find that option either.  We much prefer to purchase the small bottles and mix our own drinks in the cabin.  I hope as things get ironed out more options will be available.  The Plus packages is not an option for us with our platinum level as we get the free internet minutes and I really dont want to drink so much every day to justify the cost. 

1 hour ago, Therese S. said:

I also cant find the Coffee Package.  On my booking on the Ruby, under On Board Services, Beverage Packages there's two options listed:  The Premier Beverage Package at 70.79 per day and the Classic Soda Package at 11.79 per day.  No Coffee, no water listed to purchase in a separate package.  It used to be you could also purchase small 375 oz bottles of alcohol such as Vodka, Whiskey, cant find that option either.  We much prefer to purchase the small bottles and mix our own drinks in the cabin.  I hope as things get ironed out more options will be available.  The Plus packages is not an option for us with our platinum level as we get the free internet minutes and I really dont want to drink so much every day to justify the cost. 

I would never pay that for the beverage package. I always thought it was crazy expensive. The current way to go is Princess Plus. That includes the beverage package (which includes the coffee package as well as the liquor package), the daily gratuities, and always-on high speed Internet access. Looking at the cost of Princess Plus and then deducting the cost of the daily gratuities it seems like a no-brainer to take Princess Plus. Yes, it is more than not taking the promo. However, if you are planning to pay the daily gratuities (we always do) it's really not much more at all to go ahead and get Princess Plus. Have one coffee and one soda or juice per day and it pretty much pays for itself.

Edited by Thrak
  • Thanks 1

I agree, Thrak.  I know some zero in on the alcohol part, but with my specialty coffees, those fancy ice teas, pays for itself before a glass of wine (or two)! 🙂 

I love the apple ice tea!  On my So. Amer. cruise I had more people stop and ask what I was drinking, because it looks pretty! 😄 

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

Princess Plus: Red Eye Coffee = Okay

Black Eye Coffee = Okay

Coffee Card: Red Eye Coffee = 2 Punches, Black Eye Coffee = 3 Punches

Not a coffee drinker, so I had to look that up.

OMG - That'll wake you up in a hurry. Coffee on steriods.

@Thrak Thanks for meeting my need to learn something new every day.😀

8 hours ago, susancruzs said:

I love the apple ice tea!  On my So. Amer. cruise I had more people stop and ask what I was drinking, because it looks pretty! 😄 

Apple Ice Tea sounds good.  Do you order it from the bar?