Two Way Aust/NZ Travel Bubble to commence 19th April, 2021

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Agree. On my first road tour of NZ I'd have not been able to stop for a road side, yummy, whitebait fritter if I were on a coach.

Oh yes, trying whitebait was a highlight.  The beauty of self drive holidays in NZ is being able to stay in their unique baches. Many built in priceless locations right on the beach.  When I travel I like to stay in places locals stay. 

Have any Kiwis heard of them being called Meth Houses or Cribs in southern part of South Island?  You have to love the English language, not to mention the Kiwi accent.  

On 4/19/2021 at 8:16 AM, gogo65 said:

If our Kimberley trip is cancelled we will most likely head to NZ, we’ve also been by ship, hired a motor home, and skied a few times there, but happy to go back and do some more exploring if that’s our only option..

My daughter got to travel in a complimentary big motorhome to take photos in NZ.  She loved it!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Oh yes, trying whitebait was a highlight.  The beauty of self drive holidays in NZ is being able to stay in their unique baches. Many built in priceless locations right on the beach.  When I travel I like to stay in places locals stay. 

Have any Kiwis heard of them being called Meth Houses or Cribs in southern part of South Island?  You have to love the English language, not to mention the Kiwi accent.  

Yes, Crib is the common term for a bach from Dunedin southwards. It may have been a Scottish slang term, many of the early settlers in that part of NZ came from Scotland. They would have felt very much at home in Dunedin, the harbour is very like some of the Scottish sea lochs and firths that we saw.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, Crib is the common term for a bach from Dunedin southwards. It may have been a Scottish slang term, many of the early settlers in that part of NZ came from Scotland. They would have felt very much at home in Dunedin, the harbour is very like some of the Scottish sea lochs and firths that we saw.

Yes I've heard crib in Scotland.

22 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Did you get to western plains zoo,I give my tickets to my daughter and here friends.

They went to Taronga and come home exhausted.

Yes, we did! It was a great day, our son and his family came with us. We actually stayed in Parkes instead of Dubbo and had a great Easter weekend.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2021 at 7:54 PM, pully8 said:

Hope it goes well for all concerned.

We liked the scenery especially in the south island.

Will watch and wait before planning a trip there.

Can people fly there from oz and continue to other countries?

Someone we know is keen to go to Canada. 

Well that could be a problem, Canada has some pretty strict rules for international flights. You must have a negative "Molecular test" for covid within 72 hours of your flight assuming you are negative then you can fly, Upon arrival at 1 of the 4 Airports in Canada taking international flights (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal) you will be tested again and required to stay in a Government approved Hotel at your expense until the test comes back negative. Even then we are having positive cases arriving every day.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 12:54 PM, pully8 said:

Hope it goes well for all concerned.

We liked the scenery especially in the south island.

Will watch and wait before planning a trip there.

Can people fly there from oz and continue to other countries?

Someone we know is keen to go to Canada. 

NZ authorities can't stop Australians from travelling overseas from there but they risk not being able to get back. They certainly wouldn't be able to get back into NZ, and would have to quarantine on return to Australia, plus they might get a big "please explain" from the border force for travelling to a country other than NZ without a permit. Actually I thought I saw an article yesterday suggesting heavy fines for people who try to do that but I can't recall where I saw it.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

NZ authorities can't stop Australians from travelling overseas from there but they risk not being able to get back. They certainly wouldn't be able to get back into NZ, and would have to quarantine on return to Australia, plus they might get a big "please explain" from the border force for travelling to a country other than NZ without a permit. Actually I thought I saw an article yesterday suggesting heavy fines for people who try to do that but I can't recall where I saw it.

The unanswered question is why can Kiwis travel overseas and Aussies can't?

I think I saw same article re heavy fines. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The unanswered question is why can Kiwis travel overseas and Aussies can't?

I think I saw same article re heavy fines. 

I'm not sure Kiwis can travel overseas without restriction, just that NZ authorities can't stop Aussies from travelling onwards after they get to NZ. 

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm not sure Kiwis can travel overseas without restriction, just that NZ authorities can't stop Aussies from travelling onwards after they get to NZ. 

That is an interesting loophole.  Guess there would be problems getting back to Aust.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

So I could get to London Heathrow flying Sydney to Auckland via the bubble, then Air NZ Auckland to San Francisco then Virgin Atlantic/Air NZ code share, SF to LHR.  I would not need to apply for a travel exemption.  Came back from England that route in reverse one time, to have a week in SF.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We are strongly advised not to travel overseas as we may struggle to return depending on where we go and except for Aus would be subject to mandatory quarantine but we are not forbidden as the Australians are.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NSWP said:

So I could get to London Heathrow flying Sydney to Auckland via the bubble, then Air NZ Auckland to San Francisco then Virgin Atlantic/Air NZ code share, SF to LHR.  I would not need to apply for a travel exemption.  Came back from England that route in reverse one time, to have a week in SF.

Well, you could, but you might come back to this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.9news.com.au/article/28a7449c-de8c-4313-b9a0-2f8ab7d02bf3

8 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

"An amendment to legislation has been made which warns people they could face jail or hefty fines if they fly anywhere else overseas."

Closed the escape bubble. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Yes have had a look and unfortunately heavy fines and possible imprisonment. So if taking the option it would mean a long time away, potentially.

The person who wants to see a loved one in Canada is going via the official route, much paperwork and many delays.

Both are not young and may never see each other again but are hopeful.

No sign of change even with vaccines.

Told today a person with parents in aged care, both were given vaccines.

He was surprised because he had been told his mother with advanced dementia, and receiving end of life care would not be done.

They told him the doctor asked her and she said she would have it.

Interesting times. 

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I was surprised when Senator Kristina Kenealy said on TV that she coudn't attend her father's funeral in the US.

I'm thinking that was a proper "political" decision. How can someone in Government tell people they can't go to their dying loved ones or have a proper funeral or anything else and then get on a plane to one of the largest hot spots in the world to attend a funeral that would not be allowed in your own country?

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm thinking that was a proper "political" decision. How can someone in Government tell people they can't go to their dying loved ones or have a proper funeral or anything else and then get on a plane to one of the largest hot spots in the world to attend a funeral that would not be allowed in your own country?

My understanding was that people could apply for an exemption to travel overseas to attend immediate family funeral.  With quarantine on return of course.  But obviously not.  

10 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My understanding was that people could apply for an exemption to travel overseas to attend immediate family funeral.  With quarantine on return of course.  But obviously not.  

I think that in a time when state borders are being closed at a moments notice and people in Australia could not cross their own country let alone travel internationally for a funeral the optics of a member of the Government to go overseas for a funeral is probably going to lose that Senator all credibility.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think that in a time when state borders are being closed at a moments notice and people in Australia could not cross their own country let alone travel internationally for a funeral the optics of a member of the Government to go overseas for a funeral is probably going to lose that Senator all credibility.

Thanks Lyle for making me smile. You had no way of knowing but that particular senator lost all credibility in their previous role as NSW Premier. Of course it's sad when anyone loses a parent & cannot attend the funeral, & I do feel sorry for them, but these are difficult times.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Thanks Lyle for making me smile. You had no way of knowing but that particular senator lost all credibility in their previous role as NSW Premier. Of course it's sad when anyone loses a parent & cannot attend the funeral, & I do feel sorry for them, but these are difficult times.

Are your senators appointed or elected? Ours are appointed and frankly as a whole are one of the biggest wastes of space and money in Canada. Did I mention they are lifetime appointments?

Edited by Blackduck59

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Are your senators appointed or elected? Ours are appointed and frankly as a whole are one of the biggest wastes of space and money in Canada. Did I mention they are lifetime appointments?

Senators are elected to the Upper House.  There are 12 senators from each of the 6 States, plus 2 from ACT and NT.  Their role is represent their State and to check bills from the Lower House - House of Representatives.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1