CDC

Someone posted this on the NCL board. The CDC just updated its guidance for fully vaccinated cruisers.

Fully Vaccinated Travelers

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may gather or conduct activities outdoors, including engaging in extended meal service or beverage consumption, without wearing a mask except in crowded settings.

Fully Vaccinated Travelers

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.

4 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Someone posted this on the NCL board. The CDC just updated its guidance for fully vaccinated cruisers.

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may gather or conduct activities outdoors, including engaging in extended meal service or beverage consumption, without wearing a mask except in crowded settings.

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.

Hallaluyah!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Now, if they would only have the same policy for indoors.  😒

16 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

New rule and it's at the discretion of the cruise line. NO MASK FOR VACCINATED CRUISERS AND THEY CAN EXPLORE THE PORT, and people can visit ports of call. (about 3 hours ago) 

To clarify - this is a CDC rule and has no weight whatsoever outside of SU waters.

It seems a lot of the nuances are suggested or recommended.  Only a few are required. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/news/6110/

Pcardad, are you saying outside of SU waters entirely?  Doesn't the CDC have jurisdiction if they embark, disembark or visit a U.S. port?

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

It seems a lot of the nuances are suggested or recommended.  Only a few are required. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/news/6110/

Pcardad, are you saying outside of SU waters entirely?  Doesn't the CDC have jurisdiction if they embark, disembark or visit a U.S. port?

It's a complicated intertwining of fed, state, and local law. Ports are funded by, and belong to the individual states (not the feds).

Indoor will probably be reviewed in the not too distant future, as also suggested by Dr. Fauci. Some people are thinking that the CDC will relax indoor mask restrictions by July 4 at the latest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBWC said:

Indoor will probably be reviewed in the not too distant future, as also suggested by Dr. Fauci. Some people are thinking that the CDC will relax indoor mask restrictions by July 4 at the latest.

But don't potential passengers (along with the cruise lines themselves) have to know what the actual "rules" are going to be, well before July 4....so passengers can decide for themselves whether they want to "participate" in any indoor/dining mask wearing rules before they even board the ship for the cruise?  And won't the cruise lines themselves have to promulgate/publish/announce those rules well in advance of the commencement of their first cruise/s?

For myself, I want to know what the rules are going to be onboard, before I even make my "final payment"! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

But don't potential passengers (along with the cruise lines themselves) have to know what the actual "rules" are going to be, well before July 4....so passengers can decide for themselves whether they want to "participate" in any indoor/dining mask wearing rules before they even board the ship for the cruise?  And won't the cruise lines themselves have to promulgate/publish/announce those rules well in advance of the commencement of their first cruise/s?

For myself, I want to know what the rules are going to be onboard, before I even make my "final payment"! 

One would think so........let's hope for the best that they do let us know before we cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

I expect that the rules can change as circumstances change and as issues arise or are resolved. It might be a few years before this dust gets settled and things get back to a “new normal”, whatever that is....

Currently, the rules are .......fluid.......

4 hours ago, Pcardad said:

They will not follow them this fall in europe.

but Regent will have to comply with any restrictions required by the countries that their ships visit and will also abide by their own protocols.

4 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

But don't potential passengers (along with the cruise lines themselves) have to know what the actual "rules" are going to be, well before July 4

Regent ships are not sailing until September at the earliest.

And won't the cruise lines themselves have to promulgate/publish/announce those rules well in advance of the commencement of their first cruise/s?

Regent’s covid protocols are available on their website.

Simply check the latest version of Regent’s published protocols immediately before making your decision. 
Regent, and the other cruise lines, can do no more in keeping you informed of the likely rules that will be in place when your cruise embarks. Their ‘crystal ball’ is no better than anyone else’s.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

New rule and it's at the discretion of the cruise line. NO MASK FOR VACCINATED CRUISERS AND THEY CAN EXPLORE THE PORT, and people can visit ports of call. (about 3 hours ago) 

Independent exploration in Level 1 countries only; and, at this time, there are ZERO Level 1 countries.

• Haha 2

Pls clarify for me when does the CDC have authority to regulate cruises? Is it when cruises

1. Embark from a US port,

2. are on itineraries that include a US port

3. disembark at a US port?

If a cruise embarks from a US port and then leaves the US, could the cruiseline disregard CDC regs as soon as they clear US waters? 
If a cruise enters US waters for the first time when it disembarks at a US port, can the cruiseline disregard CDC rules bc they weren’t in US territory until the last bit?

I am quite confused!

18 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Pls clarify for me when does the CDC have authority to regulate cruises? Is it when cruises

1. Embark from a US port,

2. are on itineraries that include a US port

3. disembark at a US port?

If a cruise embarks from a US port and then leaves the US, could the cruiseline disregard CDC regs as soon as they clear US waters? 
If a cruise enters US waters for the first time when it disembarks at a US port, can the cruiseline disregard CDC rules bc they weren’t in US territory until the last bit?

I am quite confused!

Obviously not a useful PhD. 😃  If a ship ever wants to enter US waters either to embark or disembark or for a port visit the ship must follow CDC guidance; this is most noticeable with regard to CDC Vessel Sanitation Program.  I would take it further that even if a ship does not enter US waters for multiple years (e.g., Voyager was out of USA for at least three years) but the company does enter US waters it is best if the Voyager also followed USA rules (e.g., vessel sanitation).

• Haha 1

From the CDC website regarding Vessel Sanitation Program (https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/desc/aboutvsp.htm):

About the Vessel Sanitation Program

What VSP Does

The Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) assists the cruise ship industry to prevent and control the introduction, transmission, and spread of gastrointestinal (GI) illnesses on cruise ships. VSP operates under the authority of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. Section 264 Quarantine and Inspection Regulations to Control Communicable Diseases).

We accomplish our mission by

• Inspecting cruise ships in periodic, unannounced operational sanitation inspections.
  • Monitoring gastrointestinal illnesses and investigating or responding to outbreaks.
  • Training cruise ship employees on public health practices.
  • Providing health education and reliable and current public health information to the cruise ship industry, the traveling public, public health professionals, state and local health authorities, and the media.

Which Cruise Ships Are Under VSP’s Jurisdiction?

Cruise ships under VSP jurisdiction

• Carry 13 or more passengers and
  • Have a foreign itinerary with U.S. ports.

How Does VSP Operate?

The program operates by the public health standards that can be found in the current version of the VSP Operations Manual These criteria target the control and prevention of gastrointestinal illnesses on cruise ships and are primarily based on standards found in the FDA Food Codeexternal icon and the World Health Organization’s Guide to Ship Sanitation.external icon

VSP periodically updates the VSP Operations Manual to reflect new technologies, current food science, disease patterns and trends, and emerging pathogens.

5 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Independent exploration in Level 1 countries only; and, at this time, there are ZERO Level 1 countries.

Well then that doesn't look so good.  For us just getting of the ship and walking around downtown is better than a tour................

• Like 1

Fortunately Regent's published protocol states:

"At this time, we anticipate that guests may travel ashore independently if they choose. This policy will be continually evaluated with our SailSAFE expert council and we will modify requirements accordingly"

As with most things covid related it depends on how the situation develops over the coming months and/or whether the CDC or NCLH blinks first.