Mobile Providers Western Caribbean

January of next year going for 2 weeks in the Western Caribbean and as from the UK my provider does not do free roaming , does anyone have advice of what mobile sim cards to get ?

I realise I might need 2 or 3 different ones as also I will try to use Skype as well when have WIFI access in port. 

I don't have an answer, but someone knowledgeable in the region will likely ask what specific ports your are visiting. You might want to add that so they can give a more informed response. Happy Monday!

Most tourist areas have pretty good internet coverage so unless you really need continuous cell phone coverage you might just want to put your phone into WiFi calling mode and skip the sim card route.  In the US you need to set this up while you are in your local coverage area - not sure if this is needed in the UK. 

I have a low cost cell phone provider that doesn't do any international roaming at all so I was trying to decide if it was worth either renting a phone or installing a sim for a week in Aruba.  WiFi worked fine.  Texting worked in Aruba as long as I avoided sending pictures - then it usually took a few tries.  For areas like Cozumel and Costa Maya everything worked.

OP, perhaps you already know this, but perhaps not. The mobile carriers on this side of the pond are very fragmented compared to those in Europe.  There is very little cooperation between the carriers across national boundaries.  You will likely need to look for a different carrier in every country you visit. There may be a few exceptions, but it’s far more complicated that European travel. 

14 hours ago, chmusar said:

January of next year going for 2 weeks in the Western Caribbean and as from the UK my provider does not do free roaming , does anyone have advice of what mobile sim cards to get ?

Do all your business on board via a Voom package or if needed shoreside, make friends with your MDR staff and ask them the best places to get free WiFi.

• Like 1

OP - this might be another option for you. I have an international plan on my phone so I've never had to worry about a sim card in a foreign country. My wife does not have a plan. She is able to access wifi on the ship and in port. Once she has accessed wifi, she is able to make phone calls via wifi calling. She is able to search the internet, check email and phone family/friends without incurring additional phone/data charges.

18 hours ago, chmusar said:

I realise I might need 2 or 3 different ones as also I will try to use Skype as well when have WIFI access in port. 

If wanting to use cell phone for calls you could try either facetime or the WhatsApp as long as you have wifi.  We have used this many times when traveling international and works great as long as you have wifi access.  So if you purchase one of the internet packages for your cruise you should be just fine.

I think the poster is like me when I travel for a two week period.  They don't want to have to find "WiFi" on an island, or waste time, sitting someplace. They want access where ever they are, when they want it.  I think the poster already knows they can find wifi and they already know they can have it on the ship.  

So when the day is over, they would like an international sim card that has Data access and phone access.  Personally, my phone company has international plans, one of which is $10 a day using your own phone minutes and data, or a flat fee, with a low per minute cost, and data up to 2gb.  I don't want to search for WiFi, and spend an hour looking, than staying put while using it. 

I don't think anyone actually answered his question? 

21 hours ago, chmusar said:

Who are you with? There is no free roaming but O2 only charge £5 a day. 

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Do all your business on board via a Voom package or if needed shoreside, make friends with your MDR staff and ask them the best places to get free WiFi.

I get the Voom plan and do WiFi calling. If I need internet at the ports I use my plans $5 a day roaming. Perhaps they don't have something like the $5 a day roaming on UK plans. I guess then i would look for free WiFi.

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Who are you with? There is no free roaming but O2 only charge £5 a day. 

BT its about £6 a day and includes 500mb data , think i will just use WIFI calling when I go ashore as I am buying Voom and stream for onboard