New CDC guidelines say vaccinated Americans can now ditch the masks, with a few exceptions

Joebucks

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

Or maybe just a few hours, or a couple of days...there are changes being considered at the state level. That's why I said "As of right now"...

Agreed. I can't say I was expecting Wal-Mart and especially Trader Joe's to act as fast as they did. I can't see too many retailers staying on the mask train if it continues to go this way. I can certainly understand the hesitancy to wait to see where the chips fall.

11 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Or maybe just a few hours, or a couple of days...there are changes being considered at the state level. That's why I said "As of right now"...

Probably right.  It may help with the recall campaign.

7 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Agreed. I can't say I was expecting Wal-Mart and especially Trader Joe's to act as fast as they did. I can't see too many retailers staying on the mask train if it continues to go this way. I can certainly understand the hesitancy to wait to see where the chips fall.

Not to me.  The CDC just gave them the cover to avoid litigation.  It also helps them with the anti mask segment in terms of $.

Just now, ldubs said:

Hallelujah!  There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is getting brighter!  

Agreed, although we have been in for quite a ride with tons of tragedy.  One of the reasons that I feel this way is because I have a family member who works at a big funeral home in Tijuana.  While this is only anecdotal information,  he said that in the last couple of weeks the deaths have fallen to almost none.  My guess is that some combination of herd immunity is being reached in from massive infections coupled with vaccines and the death of many, many people - mostly with apparent comorbidities. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Monday. No way Newsom will risk the positive momentum he has no in his efforts to fend off the recall. Keeping the restrictions would be political suicide and give ammo for pro-recall folks, 

• Like 1

I went to Trader Joe's yesterday afternoon, after the declaration was made.  All the mask signs were down, but all of us were wearing masks.  Went to my local coffee place they still require masks and no one was bit**ig about it,  I'm in Utah.

Now, before I go totally maskless, I'll look at the immunization stats for where I'm at/going.  If a place has a low vac%, I'll wear my mask even though I've got the microchip imbedded.  As someone else said, I'd hate to be thought of as a "red" person 😼

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I went to Trader Joe's yesterday afternoon, after the declaration was made.  All the mask signs were down, but all of us were wearing masks.  Went to my local coffee place they still require masks and no one was bit**ig about it,  I'm in Utah.

Now, before I go totally maskless, I'll look at the immunization stats for where I'm at/going.  If a place has a low vac%, I'll wear my mask even though I've got the microchip imbedded.  As someone else said, I'd hate to be thought of as a "red" person 😼

Went to my local grocery store. They also removed the face mask signs. There was only about three of us without masks but it was nice. I think some will cling to them like a security blanket and it will take a few months for normalcy to return. 

26 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Went to my local grocery store. They also removed the face mask signs. There was only about three of us without masks but it was nice. I think some will cling to them like a security blanket and it will take a few months for normalcy to return. 

California has not changed it's mask requirement as yet, so masks are still required in doors. That was discussed just a few posts ago...it would seem at this point, the requirements won't change until Monday, possibly Tuesday, as Tuesday has become a "Covid announcements  day" in the last few months.

On 5/15/2021 at 2:16 PM, slidergirl said:

As someone else said, I'd hate to be thought of as a "red" person 😼

Must be difficult in Utah outside of SLC and Park City.  Regardless, my recommendation is not too put so much of your identity into a piece of paper or cloth covering your mouse and nose.

I simply follow the rules and try not to politicize everything.   I will miss one aspect of masks and social distancing.  I haven't been sick with a cold of flu going on 18 months.  It's a record for me.  

6 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I suppose it is only fair to let the intelligent and responsible people who have gotten vaccinated to stop wearing masks --- which only really serve to protect unvaccinated people from being infected by other unvaccinated people.  Perhaps when COVID cases continue to occur those people will start to either learn, die off, or finally just outlast the pandemic their foolishness prolonged.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

California has not changed it's mask requirement as yet, so masks are still required in doors. That was discussed just a few posts ago...it would seem at this point, the requirements won't change until Monday, possibly Tuesday, as Tuesday has become a "Covid announcements  day" in the last few months.

I'm just going with the flow. The store removed the mask signs so I went without. I also visited a gas station (inside) and they had a large "masks required" so I wore one in there. I'll continue to follow the CDC guidelines but will also respect the stores private property rights.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I suppose it is only fair to let the intelligent and responsible people who have gotten vaccinated to stop wearing masks --- which only really serve to protect unvaccinated people from being infected by other unvaccinated people.  Perhaps when COVID cases continue to occur those people will start to either learn, die off, or finally just outlast the pandemic their foolishness prolonged.

The truth is, masks are really gone because we've found they are essentially useless. The "water droplets" we panicked about, especially the larger ones, fall out of the air quickly. The aerosol particles were new knowledge to us. Except for protecting people sneezing in your face, the masks are now theater.

Instead of admitting it was unnecessary, it's way smarter to tell people the vaccine is the reason why you don't need them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

The truth is, masks are really gone because we've found they are essentially useless. The "water droplets" we panicked about, especially the larger ones, fall out of the air quickly. The aerosol particles were new knowledge to us. Except for protecting people sneezing in your face, the masks are now theater.

Instead of admitting it was unnecessary, it's way smarter to tell people the vaccine is the reason why you don't need them.

So there is an ongoing conspiracy to maintain the myth that there was EVER a rationale for masks?   That must mean that medical professionals around the world are all in on it  —-  because masks are likely to be required in most countries with vaccine rates much below that in the US.

You really ARE one of the sort with whom Mark Twain advised against getting into discussion..

• Like 7

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

So there is an ongoing conspiracy to maintain the myth that there was EVER a rationale for masks?   That must mean that medical professionals around the world are all in on it  —-  because masks are likely to be required in most countries with vaccine rates much below that in the US.

You really ARE one of the sort with whom Mark Twain advised against getting into discussion..

Do you get an endorphin rush from insulting and bullying people?

On 5/16/2021 at 12:11 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Seen a bit earlier that he intends to keep it in place until June 15. Ridiculous. This is the exact type of tyrant stuff that led to his recall. He was doing good fending off negative attention but once again will be looking inconsistent with the rest of the country. I think people have had enough and will just not comply in much of the state.     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2021 at 4:48 AM, 2wheelin said:

I’m guessing all the mask pushers on cc who said masks are here to stay, I’ll not cruise if masks are not required, I’ll continue to wear them for a long time, they’re just second nature—hardly know I have it on, will be the first to rip them off.

Edit. sorry, misunderstood your post.

Edited by pc_load_letter

On 5/16/2021 at 11:42 AM, cruisingguy007 said:

I think it would be kind of normal to be a little hesitant to take off the masks.  We've been doing this for so long it will be weird for a while (a very short while - haha).  

14 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Seen a bit earlier that he intends to keep it in place until June 15. Ridiculous. This is the exact type of tyrant stuff that led to his recall. He was doing good fending off negative attention but once again will be looking inconsistent with the rest of the country. I think people have had enough and will just not comply in much of the state.     

Are we referring to all people or just vax'd? I was under the notion that he is following CDC in that if you are vaxd, you can go without, pretty much anywhere. With the exceptions being businesses that still want you to wear them.

And even then, the list of businesses that are dropping the requirement seems to be growing and growing.

6 hours ago, Joebucks said:

So sorry.  Not the truth.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pc_load_letter said:

Are we referring to all people or just vax'd? I was under the notion that he is following CDC in that if you are vaxd, you can go without, pretty much anywhere. With the exceptions being businesses that still want you to wear them.

And even then, the list of businesses that are dropping the requirement seems to be growing and growing.

It's been reported that he will adopt them on June 15. Basically, nothing changes until king Newsome allows it. Masks for all Californians, even us fully vaccinated folks. I just wish these politicians could not make California look wacky to the rest of the nation. We have some of the highest vaccination rates, lowest covid numbers, and high compliance with protocols and yet The People of this great state can't be trusted for another month. Even NY is adopting the CDC guidelines. Frustrating.   

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

It's been reported that he will adopt them on June 15. Basically, nothing changes until king Newsome allows it. Masks for all Californians, even us fully vaccinated folks. I just wish these politicians could not make California look wacky to the rest of the nation. We have some of the highest vaccination rates, lowest covid numbers, and high compliance with protocols and yet The People of this great state can't be trusted for another month. Even NY is adopting the CDC guidelines. Frustrating.   

"I just wish these politicians could not make California look wacky to the rest of the nation."

Might be a little too late for that.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

oy vey!

Yeah, it's getting old. Really surprised by this move. I admittedly didn't watch any news all weekend (and have not even looked today) and thought we were good to go. Oh well.

lol, we'll see what his poll numbers look like and I guarantee by the end of the week he'll be doing a tap dance to remove the mask mandate. 

14 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

You bring up something I was just talking about with someone recently.  Going forward, should a business decide they want to continue to require masks,  I would honor that.    

6 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

oy vey!

Yeah, it's getting old. Really surprised by this move. I admittedly didn't watch any news all weekend (and have not even looked today) and thought we were good to go. Oh well.

lol, we'll see what his poll numbers look like and I guarantee by the end of the week he'll be doing a tap dance to remove the mask mandate. 

I think so too. Terrible move for someone who's already up against the ropes. This will be the final straw for many. If any place has earned the right to have restrictions removed, it's California. We've stepped up big time and still get to look like clowns to the rest of the nation. Makes you wonder if it's really political at this point? It's super frustrating to see and another black eye for the image of California.   

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

You bring up something I was just talking about with someone recently.  Going forward, should a business decide they want to continue to require masks,  I would honor that.    

I will honor that also by choosing to spend my money elsewhere.  

• Like 3