Cruise Update- NBC News 6:30

Syracusefan44

Just now, nbsjcruiser said:

The vaccines are somewhere around 90% efficacious - some a little more some a little less. What it means is that it is 90% effective against protecting you against catching the virus.

Moderna and Pfizer are 94-95% effective and J&J about 67%, so there is still a chance of contracting Covid no matter which one you get.  However, even with the slight chance you do get sick, you are much less likely to become severely ill if you've been vaccinated.  

On 5/30/2021 at 12:34 AM, caribill said:

Celebrity Cruises announced Wednesday that it got the green light from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to embark on the first U.S. cruise with paying customers in more than a year. The Celebrity Edge will set sail from Fort Lauderdale on June 26 — maybe.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) said Thursday that Celebrity's requirement that 95 percent of all passengers over 16 be fully vaccinated "violates the spirit" of an executive order he issued barring "vaccine passports," as well as a state law that goes into effect July 1. If the cruise line, a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Group, follows through, it will be "subject to a fine of $5,000" for each customer asked to show vaccination status, the governor's office said.

The CDC's authority trumps DeSantis when it comes to health requirements on cruise ships, but a cruise line would probably have to take the governor to court to make that clear, Jim Walker, a maritime and cruise ship attorney from Miami, told USA Today.

Unless a court invalidates FL law, it stands and Celebrity must abide by it otherwise it’s fine for the one sailing could be as high as 10-15 million dollars.

3 minutes ago, pompeii said:

Moderna and Pfizer are 94-95% effective and J&J about 67%, so there is still a chance of contracting Covid no matter which one you get.  However, even with the slight chance you do get sick, you are much less likely to become severely ill if you've been vaccinated.  

Yes, I was doing a rough average - Astrazeneca is around 81% from what I've read. And you are correct, the chances of getting seriously ill are very very small. In fact I think all vaccines mentioned are 100% effective in protecting against serious illness.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, landlocked12 said:

We believe the report because we have read about it in highly reliable news sources. If that’s not enough, here’s a story that ran on a Fox News station https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/cdc-study-unvaccinated-worker-started-covid-19-outbreak-in-nursing-home-among-mostly-vaccinated-residents

Variants can take you down whether or not you’ve been vaccinated. Johnson & Johnson is the only vaccine that tested the newer variants.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, pompeii said:

Another little unknown:  95% affective if you have a fairly normal autoimmune system, BUT if you have a variety of immune diseases it could very well not be nearly that affective.  Every person's immune system is different so to those who say, "if you're vaccinated, why worry?"  WHY INDEED!!!!!!

Judy from SW Florida

17 hours ago, landlocked12 said:

We believe the report because we have read about it in highly reliable news sources. If that’s not enough, here’s a story that ran on a Fox News station https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/cdc-study-unvaccinated-worker-started-covid-19-outbreak-in-nursing-home-among-mostly-vaccinated-residents

It's too bad we never see follow-up stories about why things like this happen. Was it a bad batch of vaccines? Did the residents have conditions that would have made the unresponsive to the vaccine? Was it a variant of the virus?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

It's too bad we never see follow-up stories about why things like this happen. Was it a bad batch of vaccines? Did the residents have conditions that would have made the unresponsive to the vaccine? Was it a variant of the virus?

Likely it's because it's a nursing home.

A very sick person tests positive, then many are tested -- and (like the Yankees), many test positive.

Because the vaccine isn't 100% and as we've known since the beginning,  a lot of people have this virus without ever knowing it.

And a person died because, sadly, everyone in a nursing home eventually dies. 

Someday, of something.

3 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

I think the point many people miss is this. While the vaccines do appear to be very good, you still have somewhere around a 10% chance of getting Covid. Now, the vaccines are also reported to be 100% effective against serious illness so, if true, getting a mild to moderate illness is all you need to worry about right? Wrong. While you might only get that, remember that almost 30% of the US public has a hesitancy to these vaccines which would mean that if cruises were wide open to any and all, the chances of a significant breakout on a ship remain high. It also needs to be clear that a ship with high numbers of non-vaccinated passengers will almost certainly NOT be allowed to dock on any island or port and a breakout on a ship when it happens with large non-vaccinated passengers will be a nightmare for the industry.  This industry simply cannot start up and have breakouts on ships. Its a disaster if that happens.

In a February survey of nearly 3,000 Cruise Critic readers, more than eight in 10 (81%) respondents said they would cruise if a vaccine were mandated prior to setting sail, and only 5% said that a vaccine requirement would deter them from cruising. So should the skunk at the garden party be able to dictate the menu and then just walk away leaving a mess behind?  

Given your thoughts here, I trust the cruise lines will make a decision that will be in everyone's best interests... so if they cruise I am on board. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Given your thoughts here, I trust the cruise lines will make a decision that will be in everyone's best interests... so if they cruise I am on board. 

I think you're right but ultimately it comes down to person risk/reward. If 95% of the population on the ship is vaccinated then the risk is almost nil. If its the wild west then the risk to an interrupted itinerary, quarantine to your room, an infected ship with many sick people goes up significantly. That's when I'd bow out. The risk to illness may still be low for me personally but being sent to my room and have a cruise cut short by a few days is a risk I wouldn't take with a large percentage on non-vaccinated passengers on board.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

I think you're right but ultimately it comes down to person risk/reward. If 95% of the population on the ship is vaccinated then the risk is almost nil. If its the wild west then the risk to an interrupted itinerary, quarantine to your room, an infected ship with many sick people goes up significantly. That's when I'd bow out. The risk to illness may still be low for me personally but being sent to my room and have a cruise cut short by a few days is a risk I wouldn't take with a large percentage on non-vaccinated passengers on board.

I guess, with more and more folks getting vaccinated, I am just less concerned.  I have not traveled since the Covid 19 breakout.  Have friends who have both before and after getting vaccinated, all seniors too with no problems.  I was on one of the last Grand Princess cruises in Feb 2020; returned to port two people who disembarked in San Francisco went to local hospitals with virus.  To my knowledge no one else came down with virus, The two were traveling with a group, as I understand it.  Two weeks after we go home we got notice to quarantine, cat out of bag by then.  So I just am not that concerned, I am booked for January 2022.   We are vaccinated and ready to go.  I live in Ca where lock downs have hurt small business big time by contrast to Florida and Texas who opened up and are moving on.   I am in the move on group. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Yes, I was doing a rough average - Astrazeneca is around 81% from what I've read. And you are correct, the chances of getting seriously ill are very very small. In fact I think all vaccines mentioned are 100% effective in protecting against serious illness.

As the link in post 112 shows, this is not always true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Whatever the reason, if it could happen there, it could happen elsewhere to other people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sinbadssailors said:

Likely it's because it's a nursing home.

A very sick person tests positive, then many are tested -- and (like the Yankees), many test positive.

Because the vaccine isn't 100% and as we've known since the beginning,  a lot of people have this virus without ever knowing it.

And a person died because, sadly, everyone in a nursing home eventually dies. 

Someday, of something.

IMHO you are likely on the right track here. So, reporting things like this without this kind of background strikes me as fearmongering.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, caribill said:

Whatever the reason, if it could happen there, it could happen elsewhere to other people.

It was a nursing home

People in nursing homes shouldn't cruise during a pandemic - and likely won't 

The chances the rest of us have for a serious case? Slim to none, approaching zero

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

IMHO you are likely on the right track here. So, reporting things like this without this kind of background strikes me as fearmongering.

It would be interesting to see what vaccine they did have too. I'm not sure the article laid that out. Johnson and Johnson is basically 50-50. Nowhere near as good as AZ/Pfizer/Moderna

38 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

It would be interesting to see what vaccine they did have too. I'm not sure the article laid that out. Johnson and Johnson is basically 50-50. Nowhere near as good as AZ/Pfizer/Moderna

My guess is that it was Pfizer or Moderna. I don’t know if AZ was ever used in the US, and J@J has just recently come into use.

• Like 1

Comparing the vaccines based on reported effacacy during initial testing is not as helpful as it may seem.

There are a couple of mostly skippable ads here, once you get past those, there is good, helpful information, explained well.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 1:14 PM, pris993 said:

We are vaccinated and ready to go.  I live in Ca where lock downs have hurt small business big time by contrast to Florida and Texas who opened up and are moving on.   I am in the move on group. 

I can see that. I'm slowly coming to that point in some respects. Can't live in a bubble. Now its about limiting risk, doing what you can to be safe and slowly returning to something resembling normal.

• Like 2