Edge sails on June 26?

Jeremiah1212

Regarding DeSantis' order about barring mandated vaccinations as a prerequisite, Federal Maritime Law may supersede (as we lawyers say) any State laws involving cruise ships that stop at ports outside the departure state. I'm no Maritime lawyer but I think DeSantis may be a loser on this one. And better for those cruising if he is, IMO.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

This will backfire on DeSantis and his team. 

No it wont, his voter base is behind him on this and he runs for reelection next year. Votes matter more than cruise ships.

Edited by Blauelini
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Benjo8 said:

Regarding DeSantis' order about barring mandated vaccinations as a prerequisite, Federal Maritime Law may supersede (as we lawyers say) any State laws involving cruise ships that stop at ports outside the departure state. I'm no Maritime lawyer but I think DeSantis may be a loser on this one. And better for those cruising if he is, IMO.

The land the ships docks next to is controlled by the state. 

• Like 1

Good luck with these terms you must agree to in order to book this sailing. All the marketing means nothing. These are the legal terms you agree to pay and sail. 

COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. Passenger understands that Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures may or will include (but are not be limited to): (1) providing an accurate, truthful and complete health questionnaire in a form and containing any and all health or travel-related questions as required by Carrier in its sole discretion, for each Passenger prior to boarding; (2) pre-embarkation and/or periodic testing and temperature checks of each Passenger; (3) modified capacity rules for activities (including but not limited to restaurants, gyms, and entertainment events onboard and for shore excursions) which may limit or eliminate the ability of Passenger to participate in particular activities; (4) mandatory use by each Passenger (except where medically contraindicated) of face coverings in most locations outside of the Passenger’s cabin while onboard, during embarkation, disembarkation and shore excursions; (5) mandatory social distancing of Passengers at any/all times while on board and during embarkation, disembarkation, and shore excursions; (6) additional restrictions during shore excursions depending on local conditions, including but not limited to denial of disembarkation at destinations unless participating in only Carrier-approved shore excursions; (7) mandatory hand-sanitizing by Passenger upon entry or exit of any public areas; (8) confinement of Passengers to cabins, quarantine or emergency disembarkation of Passenger if, in Carrier’s sole discretion, such steps are necessary to prevent or slow the spread of COVID-19; (9) the required completion by Passenger in a timely manner of any written authorizations or consent forms required for Carrier to carry out its COVID-19 Policies and Procedures (including but not limited to medical information, medical privacy, or personal data privacy consent forms), and; (10) other policies and procedures deemed by Carrier in its sole discretion to be necessary to reduce the risk of spread of COVID-19. Passenger acknowledges that: (i) Carrier’s Privacy Policy for Health Protection Measures (“Health Privacy Policy”) is an integral part of Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures; (ii) the Health Privacy Policy has been made available to Passenger; and (iii) Passenger agrees to the terms of the Health Privacy Policy.

Since the law allows healthcare professionals to ask about vaccination status, maybe Celebrity will hire several nurses to ask about vaccination status following the orders of the ship’s doctor.  It will just be one more step in the health questionnaire.

26 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Since the law allows healthcare professionals to ask about vaccination status, maybe Celebrity will hire several nurses to ask about vaccination status following the orders of the ship’s doctor.  It will just be one more step in the health questionnaire.

Good idea....they already have healthcare professionals on the ship.....

• Like 1

Now we can book flights and hotel - cruising on Equinox August 1!!!!

Had the cruise booked for a long time, but we've been sweating the other arrangements, because we didn't want to go through the hassle of cancelling.

Just need to hear official, official what the port is and be able to check-in - then it's worth it to book flight.

As for the Terms and Conditions, what is the problem? If you or someone in your party tests positive, you may have to go into quarantine/isolation. That will be reality for a loong time. Different ports may have different requirements. Those terms and conditions could change at any time - but I suspect the first few cruises will have some masking and social distancing. That T and C document was more or less what was expected prior to vaccines. It's a CYA for the worst case scenario. If that's scary, don't go. Someone will eventually test positive, no doubt, but hopefully it will be long enough that the normal and necessary care of that PATIENT wont effect everyone else's cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

Now the question is... when can we book the June 26th voyage!?

I just checked this morning and it’s open for booking. I made a mock booking for my family of 4 which includes my two children who are both under 12 (and obviously unvaccinated).

Considering that the Edge sailings will be at 95% vaccination rate, I wonder if the system would’ve allowed me to complete the booking, and if so, when/if Celebrity would call me to confirm or deny our ability to sail with our two unvaccinated children. 

I’m ready to book ANY cruise in July, but I need some clarification before I pull the trigger. 

Edited by Tapi

8 hours ago, klflote said:

Eh, maybe not. We're on Equinox on August 8, and online check-in still hasn't opened. Maybe it will be open by the time your cruise is supposed to open for check-in, but maybe you'll have to wait.

But at least now I have some confidence that Equinox will still in August.

It's understandable that OCI would be globally disabled due to the suspension.  It shouldn't be difficult to re-enable it if that is the case. 

10 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

This will backfire on DeSantis and his team. Florida depends on tourism and dollars spent from the cruise industry. I can’t wait to see the lawsuits pile up against him and the state. 

I think so too. He can't demand that the CDC allow cruising to restart from FL, and ALSO demand that cruise lines can't require proof of vaccine. Just as his lawsuit against the CDC failed, if this goes to court, he will lose this as well. The Coast Guard rules the ports, not the governor of Florida, and these are international companies, not companies based solely in the US and only visiting Florida ports.

If we didn't already have a trip to New Orleans planned for September, I would book one of these right now. Prices are good. We simply can't afford to do both.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, gotrichard said:

Good luck with these terms you must agree to in order to book this sailing. All the marketing means nothing. These are the legal terms you agree to pay and sail. 

COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. Passenger understands that Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures may or will include (but are not be limited to): (1) providing an accurate, truthful and complete health questionnaire in a form and containing any and all health or travel-related questions as required by Carrier in its sole discretion, for each Passenger prior to boarding; (2) pre-embarkation and/or periodic testing and temperature checks of each Passenger; (3) modified capacity rules for activities (including but not limited to restaurants, gyms, and entertainment events onboard and for shore excursions) which may limit or eliminate the ability of Passenger to participate in particular activities; (4) mandatory use by each Passenger (except where medically contraindicated) of face coverings in most locations outside of the Passenger’s cabin while onboard, during embarkation, disembarkation and shore excursions; (5) mandatory social distancing of Passengers at any/all times while on board and during embarkation, disembarkation, and shore excursions; (6) additional restrictions during shore excursions depending on local conditions, including but not limited to denial of disembarkation at destinations unless participating in only Carrier-approved shore excursions; (7) mandatory hand-sanitizing by Passenger upon entry or exit of any public areas; (8) confinement of Passengers to cabins, quarantine or emergency disembarkation of Passenger if, in Carrier’s sole discretion, such steps are necessary to prevent or slow the spread of COVID-19; (9) the required completion by Passenger in a timely manner of any written authorizations or consent forms required for Carrier to carry out its COVID-19 Policies and Procedures (including but not limited to medical information, medical privacy, or personal data privacy consent forms), and; (10) other policies and procedures deemed by Carrier in its sole discretion to be necessary to reduce the risk of spread of COVID-19. Passenger acknowledges that: (i) Carrier’s Privacy Policy for Health Protection Measures (“Health Privacy Policy”) is an integral part of Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures; (ii) the Health Privacy Policy has been made available to Passenger; and (iii) Passenger agrees to the terms of the Health Privacy Policy.

Something tells me these "outdated" T&Cs will be modified by the time the first Edge cruise sets sail.

CDC Significantly Relaxes Cruise Rules for Fully Vaccinated Passengers - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, kimlovesfl said:

I think so too. He can't demand that the CDC allow cruising to restart from FL, and ALSO demand that cruise lines can't require proof of vaccine. Just as his lawsuit against the CDC failed, if this goes to court, he will lose this as well. The Coast Guard rules the ports, not the governor of Florida, and these are international companies, not companies based solely in the US and only visiting Florida ports.

If we didn't already have a trip to New Orleans planned for September, I would book one of these right now. Prices are good. We simply can't afford to do both.

I've heard the legislative term "Cut Outs" recently to refer to entities that are exempted from laws, regulations and executive orders.  I haven't read the Florida law and have no intention of doing so.  But I'd be willing to bet that the CLIAA and the cruise lines have had their lawyers going over it with a fine tooth comb.  NCL is the only line I've heard of giving any pushback and they seem to have relented in recent days.  Speculation, of course, but could it be that the industry is covered by a cut out or perhaps there is a hole in the law?   

3 hours ago, Tapi said:

I just checked this morning and it’s open for booking. I made a mock booking for my family of 4 which includes my two children who are both under 12 (and obviously unvaccinated).

Considering that the Edge sailings will be at 95% vaccination rate, I wonder if the system would’ve allowed me to complete the booking, and if so, when/if Celebrity would call me to confirm or deny our ability to sail with our two unvaccinated children. 

I’m ready to book ANY cruise in July, but I need some clarification before I pull the trigger. 

I just checked the first cruise and prices are actually good. I expected the prices to be much higher. Not a great itinerary but then I think it’s more about being on a ship and not where it’s going. For us anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I read the Miami Herald article on the Fla law.  In it a DeSantis spokesperson states, "You can't mandate vaccine passports."    So I wondered, is there a difference between a vaccine passport and the  card we got when we got the shot?  Lot's of google hits saying they are not the same.  So if the Fla law specifically states "vaccine passports" does that mean it does not cover the card?   Hmmmm.  So when/if we do our Online Check-in this Saturday and X has a section for vaccination data might that be a way past the law?  Also, if "vaccine passport" does not include the card is this all much ado about nothing?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

I read the Miami Herald article on the Fla law.  In it a DeSantis spokesperson states, "You can't mandate vaccine passports."    So I wondered, is there a difference between a vaccine passport and the  card we got when we got the shot?  Lot's of google hits saying they are not the same.  So if the Fla law specifically states "vaccine passports" does that mean it does not cover the card?   Hmmmm.  So when/if we do our Online Check-in this Saturday and X has a section for vaccination data might that be a way past the law?  Also, if "vaccine passport" does not include the card is this all much ado about nothing?

They are using Vaccine Passport and documentation to prove you were vaccinated interchangeably. They're not the same thing and they need to get consistent with what they are talking about. The law specifically calls out documentation. A 'Vaccine Passport' has no hard and fast definition. It could be an app created by a private company that houses vaccine records that other businesses agree to accept, or it could be issued on the federal or government level as it's being done in other countries. We have apps in the US but we have no federal vaccine passport and there has been no sign of interest in creating one on the federal level. Vaccine Passport is just a good buzz term that gets attention. 

I don't have a vaccine passport, only vaccine records.....

I don't mind if cruise ships/ airlines save my US passport in their records....I would mind if they kept a record of my health. (I feel it would be up to me to share each time I travel)

I would also be fine with a health questionnaire asking about vaccines and letting me show them at the port that I had vaccines.

Just my two cents...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blauelini said:

No it wont, his voter base is behind him on this and he runs for reelection next year. Votes matter more than cruise ships.

Well, DeSantis has lost my vote. He is only political posturing and I am not amused.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gotrichard said:

I take back my happy dance. Mandatory face coverings IN MOST LOCATIONS ON BOARD while out of the passenger cabin. No thank you. There should be herd immunity on board the ship so why required face coverings? I took off my mask when the CDC deemed it safe for vaccinated people to do so outdoors and indoors.

• Like 2

Someday is here. We're back sailing to the Caribbean June 26

Someday is here! I can finally share the news I have been dreaming about for the last 15 months. Our beautiful Celebrity Edge has been given the green light by the CDC to be the first cruise ship to sail from US waters in more than a year.

Words cannot express how great it feels to be able to celebrate this accomplishment with all of you. As we speak, our crew is making their way “home” to us. Our teams are perfecting every last detail onboard. And the ports we visit are gearing up to welcome us back. This would not have been possible without everyone at Celebrity Cruises, our partners around the world and you, our loyal guests.

Captain Kate McCue, the first and still only American female Captain, will have the honor of leading the fleet - and the industry - back into operation as she sets sail June 26 on a seven-night cruise of the Caribbean on Celebrity Edge.

With this news today, 8 of our 15 ships have plans to return to sailing in 2021 in the Caribbean, Europe, the Galapagos and Alaska.

The Caribbean: In addition to Celebrity Edge, Celebrity Millennium returns to service in the Caribbean on June 5 from the tropical paradise of St. Maarten.

Greek Isles + British Isles: Celebrity Apex makes her world debut in Athens on June 19, with seven-night sailings to the Greek Isles. And Celebrity Silhouette will summer in Southampton, offering UK residents specially designed cruises of the British Isles starting July 3.
The Galapagos: Celebrity Flora, Celebrity Xpedition and Celebrity Xploration bring us back to the magical Galapagos starting July 4.

Alaska: And just last week, Celebrity Cruises announced its long-awaited return to the incomparable natural wonders and wildlife of Alaska beginning July 23.

All Celebrity ships will sail with a vaccinated crew. U.S. guests ages 16 and older must be fully vaccinated and, as of August 1, 2021, all U.S. guests ages 12 and older must be fully vaccinated. Requirements for Non-U.S. guests vary and more details can be found by visiting https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea.

I think many of you, like me, have felt an enormous void over the last year not being able to travel. For me, traveling opens my imagination and widens my perspective. It gives me an opportunity to really connect with friends and family. It helps me recharge and makes me more confident. In short, it makes me happy. And I feel so incredibly lucky to lead Celebrity Cruises in providing amazing travel experiences to all of you.

Stay tuned for more announcements as we continue to bring the rest of our fleet back into service. Thank you again for all your support and I can’t wait to see you 

I wouldn't get hung up on the term "vaccination passport". We are all familiar with the format of the booklet travel document, whether issued by the US, UK, Canada or other country, but the word "passport" has a broader meaning that would encompass the card issued by the CDC, the 8.5x11 sheet of paper issued by Ontario or the many other vaccination documents of varying type and style issued around the globe. 

A few of the more general definitions of "passport" include:

- anything that ensures admission or acceptance;

- a thing that ensures admission to or the achievement of something;

- something that secures admission, acceptance, or attainment;

- something that gives one the right or privilege of passage, entry, or acceptance.

37 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I take back my happy dance. Mandatory face coverings IN MOST LOCATIONS ON BOARD while out of the passenger cabin. No thank you. There should be herd immunity on board the ship so why required face coverings? I took off my mask when the CDC deemed it safe for vaccinated people to do so outdoors and indoors.

I wonder if they will change that based on CDC stuff yesterday:

"

The new update issued on Wednesday said that cruise lines may designate areas as only accessible to fully vaccinated passengers and crew where masks and physical distancing are not required.

The CDC also updated wording, noting that for fully vaccinated passengers, a number of items are now just recommendations, including social distancing in the restaurants and bars, limited seating capacity and even self-service food and drinks, leading the way for the return of traditionally cruise ship buffets. 

In addition, for ships with at least 95% of crew and 95% of passengers fully vaccinated, cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that they do not have to wear a mask or maintain physical distance in any areas."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25113-cdc-significantly-relaxes-cruise-rules-for-fully-vaccinated-passengers.html

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tapi said:

I read this in a USA today article posted about the sailing on the 26th. Slightly helpful info, maybe. 😃

"Celebrity plans to exceed that requirement with 100% of crew vaccinated. Passengers over 16 will be required to have been fully vaccinated two weeks prior to boarding, Susan Lomax, spokesperson for Celebrity, told USA TODAY Wednesday. Starting in August, that requirement includes all passengers ages 12 and up. 

Once the ship hits 5% capacity of unvaccinated passengers during bookings, passengers under 16 who are unvaccinated will not be able to purchase a ticket, Lomax said."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1