CDC gives Celebrity the approval to start in June

ipeeinthepool

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

OK….I didn’t see that.  

So, Royal STRONGLY recommends being vaccinated.  But, if not, they’re going to require the mask and distancing routine.  That’s awkward, but OK.   They’ll have to police that.  And, you’ll have two classes of passengers that will be very noticeable….those moving freely with no masks around the ship who are vaccinated and those who are wearing masks and distancing who haven’t been vaccinated.

How well do you think thats going to work...rolling eyes

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bajathree said:

The reason that Royal went the test cruise route is cause they knew that with all the families/kids that sail Royal they would make the 95% threshold. HOWEVER they did say that they WERE going to require vaccines age appropriate. So they have done an about face.

So people are afraid Celebrity will do an about face?

Edited by Justprettynpink

Just now, bajathree said:

How well do you think thats going to work...rolling eyes

Yeah…I don’t see that working well at all.  Can’t wait to see the first YouTube encounter on board where someone is protesting wearing a mask because they aren’t vaccinated while spouting it’s their constitutional right to cruise.  LOL!

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

But, if not, they’re going to require the mask and distancing routine.  That’s awkward, but OK.   They’ll have to police that.

Probably as well as they police chair hogs. 

Looks like I was wrong.  Maybe we can hope they do another about face.  This is just dumb.

If 90% of their passengers were going to be vaccinated and they believe they will kids that are too young to be vaccinated making up a couple percent, why would you drop the vaccination rule just to satisfy a few people that don't want to be vaccinated.  Just doesn't make sense.

For me, I wouldn't bring my child on a cruise unless he/she were vaccinated.

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Probably as well as they police chair hogs. 

LOL!  I believe they may be a little more serious about masking,  and more like the airlines having  zero tolerance!.  The stakes are much higher.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Justprettynpink said:

So people are afraid Celebrity will do an about face?

Well only way they can do an about face would be to cancel sailings and go the test cruise route. Do I think thats going to happen...NO. But with that being said I wouldn't take anything off the table right now. It now seems for the moment that Royal and Celebrity have decided to ignore making anymore announcements direct to their TA's or directly on their website....seems now they are going direct to media.

15 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Looks like I was wrong.  Maybe we can hope they do another about face.  This is just dumb.

If 90% of their passengers were going to be vaccinated and they believe they will kids that are too young to be vaccinated making up a couple percent, why would you drop the vaccination rule just to satisfy a few people that don't want to be vaccinated.  Just doesn't make sense.

For me, I wouldn't bring my child on a cruise unless he/she were vaccinated.

I agree.  I do think in the end, the number of young children on these cruises (particularly Celebrity) will be very small, and not even make up the 5% fudge factor for non-vaccinated passengers.

I agree.  I do think in the end, the number of young children on these cruises (particularly Celebrity) will be very small, and not even make up the 5% fudge factor for non-vaccinated passengers.

Seems like the worst of both worlds to me.  They will still need to check who is vaccinated and they will have to operate some kind of two tiered system for vaccinated and unvaccinated people.

Dumb

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

OK….I didn’t see that.  

So, Royal STRONGLY recommends being vaccinated.  But, if not, they’re going to require the mask and distancing routine.  That’s awkward, but OK.   They’ll have to police that.  And, you’ll have two classes of passengers that will be very noticeable….those moving freely with no masks around the ship who are vaccinated and those who are wearing masks and distancing who haven’t been vaccinated.

Good luck with that!!!!!! Perhaps folks that haven't had the vaccine will have their hand stamped - so the staff / crew can identify who needs to be masking and distancing.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Seems like the worst of both worlds to me.  They will still need to check who is vaccinated and they will have to operate some kind of two tiered system for vaccinated and unvaccinated people.

Dumb

Question..............if ports require proof of vaccination - why can't the ship then require proof before boarding??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

Good luck with that!!!!!! Perhaps folks that haven't had the vaccine will have their hand stamped - so the staff / crew can identify who needs to be masking and distancing.

My OH just made the same suggestion. 😉

Edited by C-Dragons

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

I had a SV on hold that I let expire. I just can't pull the trigger on the 26th sailing yet. Too many constant changes and too much saying one thing then hearing different. Celebrity has been on radio silence since this sailing went on sale and now all the info we are getting is from the media....and we know how good that is. Right now I am sidelined and watching.

This makes two of us. We had a SS on hold for the 8/07 sailing but let it expire. Even though this would be about five or six weeks in the full balance was due on booking plus purchasing airfare from the west coast was another large expense and we were burned by an airline last year during the pandemic and it’s too much to risk at this time. I simply do not trust what I’m being told right now as it seems the rules change weekly. 

13 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

Just a guess, but I would think that it will be marked on their room card/sail key.  Whenever they are checked in at a restaurant, a bar, entertainment venue, etc....they'll be required to "mask up" because their card would indicate they're not-vaccinated.

It shouldn't take long to identify who they are after the first few hours of the cruise.

Again, a kludgy way to do it.  But, if that's how Royal wants to sail, have at it.  I'm not booked on their ships in these first cruise months.  So, it doesn't matter to me.

Just a guess, but I would think that it will be marked on their room card/sail key.  Whenever they are checked in at a restaurant, a bar, entertainment venue, etc....they'll be required to "mask up" because their card would indicate they're not-vaccinated.

It shouldn't take long to identify who they are after the first few hours of the cruise.

Again, a kludgy way to do it.  But, if that's how Royal wants to sail, have at it.  I'm not booked on their ships in these first cruise months.  So, it doesn't matter to me.

I just hope that we get to cruise and everyone will be safe and no issues after a few drinks!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruise wizard said:

I just hope that we get to cruise and everyone will be safe and no issues after a few drinks!!!!!

Agree.  That's my plan!  Also, happy I don't have to worry about masks or any of those other requirements, as I've Vaccined "up".

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I think that the rules on ships that are going the “unvaccinated route”also have a much more set of strict rules about social distancing, limits to how many can be in any given area, etc. That sounds like a nightmare to manage if it can be managed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

This makes two of us. We had a SS on hold for the 8/07 sailing but let it expire. Even though this would be about five or six weeks in the full balance was due on booking plus purchasing airfare from the west coast was another large expense and we were burned by an airline last year during the pandemic and it’s too much to risk at this time. I simply do not trust what I’m being told right now as it seems the rules change weekly. 

Im luckily am local and only a car ride away. So I am hoping that Celebrity sticks to their original plan but with things changing and the fact they don't even have check in available for the June 26th sailing up yet I am sitting and watching where this is going for now.....fingers crossed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

I think that the rules on ships that are going the “unvaccinated route”also have a much more set of strict rules about social distancing, limits to how many can be in any given area, etc. That sounds like a nightmare to manage if it can be managed. 

They will have to be more restrictive and must have consequences posted for violators. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Exactly...no interest in going backwards when things here on land are pretty much back to normal.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

I would think they would give vaccinated guests a bracelet to wear or be tied to the sail card. Seems so risky for them to be responsible for policing it. I would think they would just require it for all passengers. 

Only 38% of Floridians have been fully vaxxed. A cruiser may be more exposed to the virus from persons they come into contact with while traveling to and from the port than while on the cruise itself.

Many unvaxxed are also anti maskers, so just be aware (or beware). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I would think they would give vaccinated guests a bracelet to wear or be tied to the sail card. Seems so risky for them to be responsible for policing it. I would think they would just require it for all passengers. 

I was just going to say the same things.

Bracelet for those vaccinated like at an all inclusive resort.

This would quickly help identify those who are not vaccinated.

Having it on your room key would not identify the unvaccinated quickly enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

That may be an issue here in the states but RCI is using bracelets in Asia to handle contact tracing. Again, I have my doubts that people will wear them here but to my knowledge RCI hasn’t announced that.