CDC gives Celebrity the approval to start in June

ipeeinthepool

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Well she has her reasons and stood up for them and was honest.  Even though it cost a nice vacation and maybe some money.  She understood the consequences.  

Personally, I don't understand her reasons( vaccine came out too quickly, doesn't know what long term effects will be).  I can't see her ever being able to take a cruise with us, if vaccines will always be required, even years from now.  

9 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Personally, I don't understand her reasons( vaccine came out too quickly, doesn't know what long term effects will be).  I can't see her ever being able to take a cruise with us, if vaccines will always be required, even years from now.  

My brother who is well educated and successful is the only person in my entire family who refuses to get the vaccine.  His reasons are his own (but do not make a lot of sense to me).  But I respect his decision and try not to judge anybody.  It is unfortunate since we have cruised together and traveled together in the past.  He knows the ramifications of his decision.  But I do think that cruising without a vaccine will happen again.  I'm just not sure from where and when.  The pandemic will be a distant memory at some point.  For now I am vaccinated with upcoming cruises planned!

37 minutes ago, D C said:

Interestingly, and I wonder if it's related to vaccines, my DS's October cruise on the Equinox dropped Grand Cayman and added Nassau. It's day 2 though.

Recently (2 days ago) our Allure 8/15 cruise (Western route) dropped Nassau, Falmouth and Labadee and changed to Costa May, Roatan and Cozumel. Both had a stop a Coco Cay and that remained.

We all have the freedom to choose.  Go on a cruise based or not.  Right now, if you're sailing on Celebrity, and over the age of 16 (soon to be 12), there's a COVID Vaccine requirement.  If that's what is stopping you from cruising, no issue.  That's your freedom to choose.

If you want to cruise without the COVID Vaccine, be prepared to wear masks and to pay more to be tested while cruising.

NO ONE IS STOPPING ANYONE FROM CRUISING!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

My brother who is well educated and successful is the only person in my entire family who refuses to get the vaccine.  His reasons are his own (but do not make a lot of sense to me).  But I respect his decision and try not to judge anybody.  It is unfortunate since we have cruised together and traveled together in the past.  He knows the ramifications of his decision.  But I do think that cruising without a vaccine will happen again.  I'm just not sure from where and when.  The pandemic will be a distant memory at some point.  For now I am vaccinated with upcoming cruises planned!

I'm happy to say that my immediate family and most of my extended family is vaccinated - which is saying a lot in that I live in Alabama and some of my family might fit the stereotype of the "anti-vaxxers".

I think we must continue to have some patience and respect for people's opinions (OK maybe not for the "Dr" in Ohio with the magnets, she may be on her way to a Board of Medical Examiners hearing). It seems like it is nothing but intransigence and ignorance, but vaccines have only been available 6 months and some people still have concerns that are legitimate to them and some have only begun to consider possibilities.

I think many of the posters on here who continue to insist on 100% vaccinated ship and on and on about taking their money elsewhere, etc, are in for a long sad time at home because I don't think those goals are all achievable in our society - but I do think there will be a long slow ramp up to higher vaccination rates. When and if companies can require it of their workers in order to be employed, rates will start climbing again. We also in my state could do a better job of bringing vaccines to people - up until now it has been about getting people to central sites, but now it needs to move to workplaces, universities, shopping areas, churches - just as we have a bloodmobile we need vaccine mobiles and ADVERTISING, which is just starting really here.

5 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I'm happy to say that my immediate family and most of my extended family is vaccinated - which is saying a lot in that I live in Alabama and some of my family might fit the stereotype of the "anti-vaxxers".

I think we must continue to have some patience and respect for people's opinions (OK maybe not for the "Dr" in Ohio with the magnets, she may be on her way to a Board of Medical Examiners hearing). It seems like it is nothing but intransigence and ignorance, but vaccines have only been available 6 months and some people still have concerns that are legitimate to them and some have only begun to consider possibilities.

I think many of the posters on here who continue to insist on 100% vaccinated ship and on and on about taking their money elsewhere, etc, are in for a long sad time at home because I don't think those goals are all achievable in our society - but I do think there will be a long slow ramp up to higher vaccination rates. When and if companies can require it of their workers in order to be employed, rates will start climbing again. We also in my state could do a better job of bringing vaccines to people - up until now it has been about getting people to central sites, but now it needs to move to workplaces, universities, shopping areas, churches - just as we have a bloodmobile we need vaccine mobiles and ADVERTISING, which is just starting really here.

Clearly the 95% level set by the CDC for more relaxed requirements on cruises is attainable. Clearly you will not reach that level for total vaccination. But you can use vaccination requirements for international travel to help drive domestic vaccination levels.

1 minute ago, cangelmd said:

My brother has all of his other vaccines.  He is not an anti-Vaxxer.  He is Covid-Vaccine-Hesitant. [CVH].  This might describe about 30% of the US population right now.  It is their choice and their reasons.  I personally feel disappointed but I cannot and will not judge their choice.  Who am I to judge really?  I totally agree that patience and understanding is essential.  Some will come around.  Others will not.  Education is key.  And maybe another surge might happen and scare more into getting vaccinated.  OTOH, it is estimated that 15-20% in the US are true anti-vaxxers.  They will mistrust any vaccine and actively work against vaccination of any type.  That is quite different. I do treat them differently in my opinions if they are actively spewing false knowledge and scaring people with their unscientific and false medical agenda.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

My brother has all of his other vaccines.  He is not an anti-Vaxxer.  He is Covid-Vaccine-Hesitant. [CVH].  This might describe about 30% of the US population right now.  It is their choice and their reasons.  I personally feel disappointed but I cannot and will not judge their choice.  Who am I to judge really?  I totally agree that patience and understanding is essential.  Some will come around.  Others will not.  Education is key.  And maybe another surge might happen and scare more into getting vaccinated.  OTOH, it is estimated that 15-20% in the US are true anti-vaxxers.  They will mistrust any vaccine and actively work against vaccination of any type.  That is quite different. I do treat them differently in my opinions if they are actively spewing false knowledge and scaring people with their unscientific and false medical agenda.

Amen to all of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

We can hope, but I've seen far too few of those for equally egregious statements. But a consent agreement that involves 10-12 semester hours of basic physics and magnetism would be nice. Because they probably won't take her license. 

In our family, 1 kid out of 3 got the vaccine. My FL daughter wanted it and the daughter and stepson in CA will not get it. UGH! 

CA daughter did have Covid at Christmas time and I am hoping this new study coming out of Cleveland Clinic about those that had Covid possibly not needing vaccine will hold true.

• Like 1

DW has been acting as a clearinghouse for vaccine availability for all of our friends – now of course anybody can just walk up and get a jab.  Everyone we know has now gotten it – except one holdout.  But her daughter refuses to let her near her grandchildren, and yesterday a lunch party was cancelled when a thunderstorm prevented them from sitting outside and the others wouldn't sit inside with her.  So the costs of holding out will keep mounting.

• Like 6

I can honestly say that I do not know anyone who is not vaccinated. There might be some, but everyone with whom vaccination has been a topic of conversation has been jabbed. 

2 minutes ago, D C said:

I can honestly say that I do not know anyone who is not vaccinated. There might be some, but everyone with whom vaccination has been a topic of conversation has been jabbed. 

I see you don’t live in the Deep South 😂

2 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

I see you don’t live in the Deep South 😂

You're right, I don't.  And come to think of it, I haven't discussed the topic with some of my good friends who live down south. Those who I have (AL) are vaccinated. 🙂

We live in Georgia. We have a so-so rate of vaccinations. A few people I know that do not want the vaccine are either 'I'll tough it out.', 'The government can't tell me what to do.', or 'If I die, I'll just meet Jesus sooner.' The distrust of the vaccine is above normal down here. 

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

DW has been acting as a clearinghouse for vaccine availability for all of our friends – now of course anybody can just walk up and get a jab.  Everyone we know has now gotten it – except one holdout.  But her daughter refuses to let her near her grandchildren, and yesterday a lunch party was cancelled when a thunderstorm prevented them from sitting outside and the others wouldn't sit inside with her.  So the costs of holding out will keep mounting.

We have good friends in Arkansas.  Refused to get the vaccine.  But then they were restricted from seeing their grandchildren by their daughter.  They finally bucked up and got the J&J vaccine.

• Like 2

We placed a stateroom on hold last night on the EQ 8/08 sailing. There were only three SS left. The judge is hearing arguments today on the lawsuit filed by Florida against the CDC. I read that the judge is not expected to rule today but his ruling could change everything if I read correctly. We will wait for his answer. 

9 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

We placed a stateroom on hold last night on the EQ 8/08 sailing. There were only three SS left. The judge is hearing arguments today on the lawsuit filed by Florida against the CDC. I read that the judge is not expected to rule today but his ruling could change everything if I read correctly. We will wait for his answer. 

Even if an injunction is granted, which I think is unlikely, it doesn't solve much. It throws a huge wrench in Alaska cruises, cruise lines can't restart entire fleets immediately and bookings are still weak. Demand is not there. Edge cruises on the 26th and the crew will not be considered fully vaccinated until the 25th. I don't really foresee any cruise line being willing to simply pull the bandaid off and go all-in on totally unrestricted cruises. 

There will also be longterm COVID guidelines just like they have noro guidelines (that no other industry has to live up to). We don't know what those are yet, but I would 1000% bet they are in the works. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Even if an injunction is granted, which I think is unlikely, it doesn't solve much. It throws a huge wrench in Alaska cruises, cruise lines can't restart entire fleets immediately and bookings are still weak. Demand is not there. Edge cruises on the 26th and the crew will not be considered fully vaccinated until the 25th. I don't really foresee any cruise line being willing to simply pull the bandaid off and go all-in on totally unrestricted cruises. 

There will also be longterm COVID guidelines just like they have noro guidelines (that no other industry has to live up to). We don't know what those are yet, but I would 1000% bet they are in the works. 

Explain why this affects Alaska cruises?

Just now, TeeRick said:

Explain why this affects Alaska cruises?

From my understanding, the Alaska cruise legislation includes the Conditional Sail Order, so if the CSO is over turned, then the requirements are no longer met for the ships to sail Seattle round-trip without a Canada stop. 

After having two people I knew die from COVID (one a nurse in a Hospital, where she contracted it), and 3 people I know who survived COVID (but are still suffering from the after affects after 5 months), everyone in my circle is vaccinated.

Just because you no of no one who has contracted it, doesn’t mean you’re immune.  Nearly 600,000 COVID deaths in the U.S. alone, and around 3,760,000 COVID deaths worldwide should give everyone pause.

Excuses for not getting the vaccine are silly, regardless of reason.  The effectiveness and the medical/scientific data are overwhelmingly conclusive and positive.  Getting the Vaccine should be a condition to cruise.  If you don’t want to, don’t.  

You can cruise, as some (politicians) try to politicize the Vaccine, are making it extremely difficult to try and cruise safely.  But, if you cruise, and you aren’t vaccinated, it will cost you more money and you are not going to have a very good time doing so.

• Like 3