Silhouette around Britain staycruisecations

Thameside

8 hours ago, vino123 said:

it seems like this whole PCR testing thing is a bit of a money making racket. The private test I booked as a back up is in an industrial premises in Newark and the Eurofins  one via Celebrity is at a back street travel agents in Grimsby!

Both locations are a 2 hour round trip for us . Our local Boots only offers postal tests,  I'm inclined to keep the private booking as its an evening one so much more convenient for my husband as he wont have to take time off work but the payment receipt I have is only in my name and Celebrity needs a receipt with both names to reimburse the costs. I have e mailed the company to ask for one but haven't had a reply yet.

It really doesn't have to be so complicated if only they would offer us antigen tests at the port especially as we are all fully vaccinated. 

These companies doing PCR tests are a money making racket but we’ve no choice. I recently went to the Champions League final and had to have a PCR test. The company Dam Health has taken up vacant shops across the UK and they look like the staff could pack up in 15 minutes and do a runner. The staff are young and the tests expensive BUT results were received on time so I’m hoping Eurofins can do the same. Making however mega bucks at the same time. We’ve booked with them at a travel agents and are hoping their guarantee comes up trumps. Have faith!! 

41 minutes ago, Goaty said:

These companies doing PCR tests are a money making racket but we’ve no choice. I recently went to the Champions League final and had to have a PCR test. The company Dam Health has taken up vacant shops across the UK and they look like the staff could pack up in 15 minutes and do a runner. The staff are young and the tests expensive BUT results were received on time so I’m hoping Eurofins can do the same. Making however mega bucks at the same time. We’ve booked with them at a travel agents and are hoping their guarantee comes up trumps. Have faith!! 

Like wise my experience, received my test pack through the post and had to drop it off in a yellow bin along with numerous others  at a cafe in Manchester. Got my results through no problem despite worrying for 24 hours.

. Annoyingly got pinged by Track and Trace  two days after coming back informing me to self isolate. and the score line didn’t help 🤨

On 6/22/2021 at 11:26 AM, 38anchor said:

Just out of interest, has anyone on the first few sailings been contacted by the Retreat concierge yet? Usually they reach out at around 30 days with an email. We are on July 17th sailing yet and nothing so wondering if anyone on the 2 sailings before have had anything?

We're on the 17th as well (Royal Suite).  No contact from the shoreside concierge yet.

I'm anxious about this.

We've booked our tests via Eurofin yesterday - testing on 14th July for 17th July sailing.  Looks like we're going to a TA not a clinic for the tests. At least the place we have to go is local to us (same city). But I do wonder whether the tests will get tested in time.  And what if one or both of our tests is inconclusive?  By the time the results come back, probably no time to book another.

I did think about booking tests ourselves with a private provider but then wonder - what if the eurofins test comes back negative and the other test is positive (or vice versa)? Either could be a false positive (or even a true positive). Could create more problems than it solves.

I'll say that at present this has taken away all my excitement.  I think I'll only believe we're going when/if we actually board ship.

Usually we stay overnight in Southampton prior to sailing.  Doubt we will do that this time - partly because I likely won't finish work til 5pm on the Friday (and it is a 4-5 hour drive at that time). And I don't want to drive to Soton without test results if possible. Hopefully they will be back by the time we do set off on Saturday am. Not sure what we will do if they are not! I suppose we will have to go down and be denied boarding to get our FCC.

Will be interested to hear the experiences of those sailing before us as their departure days arrive.

11 hours ago, vino123 said:

it seems like this whole PCR testing thing is a bit of a money making racket. The private test I booked as a back up is in an industrial premises in Newark and the Eurofins  one via Celebrity is at a back street travel agents in Grimsby!

Both locations are a 2 hour round trip for us . Our local Boots only offers postal tests,  I'm inclined to keep the private booking as its an evening one so much more convenient for my husband as he wont have to take time off work but the payment receipt I have is only in my name and Celebrity needs a receipt with both names to reimburse the costs. I have e mailed the company to ask for one but haven't had a reply yet.

It really doesn't have to be so complicated if only they would offer us antigen tests at the port especially as we are all fully vaccinated. 

@vino123 do you have details of the provider in Newark please? I’m about 20 minutes from Newark and it would be a useful backup option.
Many thanks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bretty said:

@vino123 do you have details of the provider in Newark please? I’m about 20 minutes from Newark and it would be a useful backup option.
Many thanks.

It's on this link

https://www.assuredscreening.com/covid-testing-locations/

Just put your postcode in the search and the Newark location should come up.

The online reviews for this company are much more reassuring than the ones I have read for Eurofins.

Edited by vino123
  • Like 2

Please do not worry about an unqualified person doing the test.  You are the person who actually does the swabbing with somebody overseeing that you are doing it properly.  No medical knowledge is needed and nobody else will touch you.

The Celebrity website as been updated regarding pcr/rt Pcr (both acceptable). Clears up dates issue confirming 3 days to sail date rather than boarding/sailing confusion. BUT have to do ship’s excursion otherwise not allowed off. 

Here's the updated message on Celebrity's site;

Vaccinated guests will also require proof of a negative PCR test for COVID-19 (this may be displayed either as an RT-PCR or PCR test, both of which are acceptable) up to or within 3 days of sail date. The PCR test for Covid-19 and antigen tests required will be at the expense of Celebrity Cruises. PCR testing for Covid-19 instructions will be provided via email in advance of sailing, further information can also be found here. Any additional testing or protocols will be confirmed nearer to the point of sailing in line with the most up to date recommendations of the UK government and our Healthy Sail Panel. Children aged 2 years and younger are not required to do the antigen test.   

Edited by CambsCruiser82

25 minutes ago, village77 said:

Please do not worry about an unqualified person doing the test.  You are the person who actually does the swabbing with somebody overseeing that you are doing it properly.  No medical knowledge is needed and nobody else will touch you.

I contacted our local place Eurofins is using. Apparently, as has been said, they are ‘renting’ space. Ours is a local Travel Agency. Eurofins are visiting them on the 28th June to set up the process. It sounds like Eurofins are supplying the people to oversee the testing. The manager took my email and said he would let me know if there were any issues with Eurofins, which I felt was very good of him. We are on the 17th July sailing, so third one in and hopefully any issues should be ironed out by then. I don’t envy those of you on the first two sailings.

Just noticed that all the cruises from Southampton up to the 14th August sailing have now been removed from their website and can no longer be booked.

Might be one of their many web problems but if not it looks like they have reached capacity (whatever that is). I see MSC got into problems by overbooking and would guess Celebrity want to avoid that.  Looked the other day and there was a LOT of availability in all but suites so there is no way they are sold out!

We aren't sailing until 6th August but I am reading this thread with interest. Can anyone who have used Eurofins in the next couple of weeks please confirm when they took their test and when they actually received the results? I just want to see if we can trust them or if I should try and book my own test. 

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

I contacted our local place Eurofins is using. Apparently, as has been said, they are ‘renting’ space. Ours is a local Travel Agency. Eurofins are visiting them on the 28th June to set up the process. It sounds like Eurofins are supplying the people to oversee the testing. The manager took my email and said he would let me know if there were any issues with Eurofins, which I felt was very good of him. We are on the 17th July sailing, so third one in and hopefully any issues should be ironed out by then. I don’t envy those of you on the first two sailings.

Yes the travel agent they are using in Grimsby told me pretty much the same thing. One of their staff will oversee the test you complete yourself. I did mention about the awful reviews and she was quite aware of them. she said the problem had been down to Royal Mail and they will be now having a courier pick up the tests at 5pm every evening.

I feel a bit more reassured, now I just need to decide whether to get our own or stick with Eurofins!  Certainly feel like a guinea  pig on the 3rd July sailing!

1 hour ago, york survey said:

Might be one of their many web problems but if not it looks like they have reached capacity (whatever that is). I see MSC got into problems by overbooking and would guess Celebrity want to avoid that.  Looked the other day and there was a LOT of availability in all but suites so there is no way they are sold out!

All cruise companies were selling more capacity in anticipation of the June “opening up” date… which didn’t happen. All cruise lines have had to contact people and ask them to move to different sailing dates to lower capacity back to 1000, not just MSC.   RCI had a great offer whereby those in the 4n sailing could move to a later 8n itinerary with fare price protection! 

46 minutes ago, American_in_York said:

We aren't sailing until 6th August but I am reading this thread with interest. Can anyone who have used Eurofins in the next couple of weeks please confirm when they took their test and when they actually received the results? I just want to see if we can trust them or if I should try and book my own test. 

We are on the same sailing and I’m hoping that as July 19th is the date that we are hopefully coming out of all restrictions, then a lot of these problems should have been ironed out/ lifted.😱

As to which ports we will visit???

I note that even Scotland should be restriction free on 09/08/21, which is the day that we should be visiting Glasgow. If we don’t, then Nicola will be loosing out on revenue and possibly we will get warmer weather.🙏

Positive thinking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downsmead said:

I’ve booked my own test as Eurofins have me down as  a Singapore passenger and want me to book Raffles and Celebrity and Eurofins haven’t resolved this. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, delondin said:

I’ve booked my own test as Eurofins have me down as  a Singapore passenger and want me to book Raffles and Celebrity and Eurofins haven’t resolved this. 

I don’t blame you. I have Boots booked as well as back up

• Like 1

4 hours ago, york survey said:

Just noticed that all the cruises from Southampton up to the 14th August sailing have now been removed from their website and can no longer be booked.

Various offers on, for the 14, 21 & 28 th August sailings, includes:

a)Free upgrade,  Ocean view to Balcony

b) 30% off for Blue light workers& Military

c) Reduced supplement for solo travellers ( only 30%).

d) Double C..C points ( we already have this for our booking which was made 30.04.21).

Most of the above expire on 30.06.21.

Edited by upwarduk

On 6/23/2021 at 12:20 PM, royallondon said:

With the 48 hour “cruise with confidence” guarantee, would it have been possible to obtain a 100% cruise credit and then apply it to the August cruise?  

Regards

The final human being who sounded English and actually rebooked me made a big thing of how they were not charging me any change or rebooking fees so yes, I think I could have had a cruise credit but how much I wouldnt wish to guess

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 4:22 PM, Spike11 said:

We have now booked a test at the airport for 15th July. I would be grateful for any feedback on how it goes on the 1st. After all the problems with Eurofins we have decided to book our own test and I have to say that the booking process was 100% better than the celebrity/ Eurofins system which by comparison appears to be quite amateurish and cobbled together at the last minute.

Is that at Southampton Airport - I had a test booked there and it was cancelled due to no staff available????

30 minutes ago, teabear said:

Is that at Southampton Airport - I had a test booked there and it was cancelled due to no staff available????

Yes it is - can I ask when was the test booked for please and did they give you much notice?

3 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

Yes it is - can I ask when was the test booked for please and did they give you much notice?

I booked it online on Sunday - and it was cancelled Wednesday which is when I went ballistic on Celebrity

First time cruise no experience whatsoever but we’re sailing on the 3rd July but a nightmare this past week. After many frantic phone calls and emails to my celebrity agent, round and round with Eurofins…left hand doesn’t know what right hand is doing. Even the celebrity agent said that it was a mess regarding the Eurofins subcontract to undertake the free PCR. Processes are not in place wrong details on the TrustOne app to book your appointment,

venues not aware that customers booking appointments and not the opening times of the contracts signed. I can’t explain how much stress and anxiety this PCR booking process as caused and still no emails coming out of celebrity to confirm what is going on. Fingers crossed the Eurofins staff will be at venue next Wednesday for our PCR test.