What to expect for international airfare when booking thru NCL

Hi all, it has been a very long time since I've been on a cruise. I'm looking at one of the greek islands cruises this summer, 2 of us total. They have a deal to get 2nd guest airfare free. It would be much cheaper than booking it separately. I'm wondering how much they will screw us over with regard to the flight bookings though. It looks like you can only see the itinerary after you book. Should I expect extra connections, super short/long layover timing and that we won't be able to sit together? Or do you think it will be OK? We would be flying from Austin. I also don't see any option to add on a hotel? Do they typically book to arrive the day of the cruise or the day before? This particular cruise has a late start time. Thank you and sorry if this is a dumb question. 

54 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

Hi all, it has been a very long time since I've been on a cruise. I'm looking at one of the greek islands cruises this summer, 2 of us total. They have a deal to get 2nd guest airfare free. It would be much cheaper than booking it separately. I'm wondering how much they will screw us over with regard to the flight bookings though. It looks like you can only see the itinerary after you book. Should I expect extra connections, super short/long layover timing and that we won't be able to sit together? Or do you think it will be OK? We would be flying from Austin. I also don't see any option to add on a hotel? Do they typically book to arrive the day of the cruise or the day before? This particular cruise has a late start time. Thank you and sorry if this is a dumb question. 

It is not a dumb question. 

Don't book a cruise for this summer. There are too many unknowns including what restrictions will be in place on the ship which ports will be open and when in a port what sites will be open as far as flights go expect routings with long layovers. Basically, if you don't know what you are getting, don't buy it.

2 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

This May answer a few of your questions. 

https://www.ncl.com/airservicestandards

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

If i was flying into to Athens, i would want to book my own air....too much to do for one and a half days before or after your cruise...

I would prefer to book my own, but the cheapest airfare is $2500 and it's only $1100 through NCL. Plus there aren't really any good connection options on the return flight anyway. I am planning to ask to get the 2 extra days before arrival. 

1 hour ago, classy_cruiser said:

Thank you this does help! I am doing the courtesy hold on the cruise for a few days to decide. I read that Greece is one of the few countries that is open for Americans this summer so hopeful those cruises will go ahead. 

You can deviate for 2 days pre-cruise and 2 days post-cruise.  They usually charge a $50 fee but it was waived for my cruise in September on the Getaway.  It's not a lot of time but it's much cheaper than purchasing two round trip tickets on your own.  I don't know the airline yet, but my trip planner shows a good one stop trip going to Rome but two connections coming back.  I live in Las Vegas so not exactly a hub for nonstop flights to Europe.  If you live by a hub, you might be fine. I would not recommend booking hotels through NCL.  You can get better deals on your own.  

5 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

I would prefer to book my own, but the cheapest airfare is $2500 and it's only $1100 through NCL. Plus there aren't really any good connection options on the return flight anyway. I am planning to ask to get the 2 extra days before arrival. 

price can be a factor...

6 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

It looks like you can only see the itinerary after you book. Should I expect extra connections, super short/long layover timing and that we won't be able to sit together?

You won't get your actual itinerary until 6 weeks or so before your cruise.  You might have a placeholder showing but it might not even be remotely close to your final route.

As to sitting together, once your tickets are issued you would need to go to the airline and reserve your seats.  Depending on the flight you might be able to pay for an upgrade if you wish.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JennJ99738 said:

You can deviate for 2 days pre-cruise and 2 days post-cruise.  They usually charge a $50 fee but it was waived for my cruise in September on the Getaway.  It's not a lot of time but it's much cheaper than purchasing two round trip tickets on your own.  I don't know the airline yet, but my trip planner shows a good one stop trip going to Rome but two connections coming back.  I live in Las Vegas so not exactly a hub for nonstop flights to Europe.  If you live by a hub, you might be fine. I would not recommend booking hotels through NCL.  You can get better deals on your own.  

When and who do you call to deviate your NCL Flight? I would like to go into Spain 1 day early. Have not used Cruise Line air ever.

Thanks for your help and info.

Stay Safe!

5 minutes ago, Oxo said:

When and who do you call to deviate your NCL Flight? I would like to go into Spain 1 day early. Have not used Cruise Line air ever.

Thanks for your help and info.

Stay Safe!

Your TA, or NCL customer service

18 hours ago, JennJ99738 said:

I think we're on the same cruise. They didn't charge a deviation fee? Are you going early or staying after? 

Are business class seats an option?  

On our long haul flights (>10 hrs) we book with points as paying outright for the flights is  a little too rich for our blood…..but if we could get a “buy one get one free” it maybe doable!

My husband and I will be on the Jade the last week of July to Greece. We booked our flights through NCL and we are happy with them. We could not see our reservation until we had paid in full but I just checked and we have seats together on all flights and no unnecessary stops. The second guest flies free was what enabled us to do this trip and we couldn't be happier. We are flying out of Houston to London then a short flight to Athens. You might get a better flights flying out of Houston.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deefer said:

On our long haul flights (>10 hrs) we book with points as paying outright for the flights is  a little too rich for our blood…..but if we could get a “buy one get one free” it maybe doable!

Depends on the flight.  Once your tickets are issued you can negotiate with the airline.

2 hours ago, kby1216 said:

My husband and I will be on the Jade the last week of July to Greece. We booked our flights through NCL and we are happy with them. We could not see our reservation until we had paid in full but I just checked and we have seats together on all flights and no unnecessary stops. The second guest flies free was what enabled us to do this trip and we couldn't be happier. We are flying out of Houston to London then a short flight to Athens. You might get a better flights flying out of Houston.

Which airline?

On 5/31/2021 at 9:38 PM, classy_cruiser said:

Thank you this does help! I am doing the courtesy hold on the cruise for a few days to decide. I read that Greece is one of the few countries that is open for Americans this summer so hopeful those cruises will go ahead. 

You might want to NOT delay beyond 24 hours of a "24 hour Courtesy Hold." 

Also, have you read this SPECIFIC INFORMATION from the link that @MeHeartCruising provided?

...from the link:

If you are embarking on the Norwegian Gem from La Romana, Norwegian Jade from Athens, and Norwegian Joy from Montego Bay, deviations will be allowed up to 60 days prior to embarkation.

Adding or removing a date deviation changes the air dates on the original reservation.

If the change is made inside the cancelation period, a cancelation fee may apply.

Some sailings may be not be eligible for date deviation requests.

Once your flight is ticketed, date deviations can no longer be requested.

...(more info is provided on the page)
then this:
For questions about our air service, contact us:
Mon-Fri: 8am - Midnight ET Sat-Sun: 9am - 9pm ET

9 hours ago, deefer said:

SEE...    https://www.ncl.com/airservicestandards

Also, @julig22  addressed some of this info above!

We are from the U.S. and are traveling to Greece for the 7/25 Greek Isle cruise on the NCL Jade.  It looks like we need a negative COVID test to fly into Greece and fly back to the U.S. within 24 or 72 hours (confusing) depending on the test.  We are trying to figure out how to get the test on our return when we are on the cruise, get off and head to the airport.  NCL has no answers except "contact the airlines".  The airlines have no clue what the requirements are.  We are very concerned.    w e are fully vaccinated.

Does anyone have these answers or any suggestions on logistics and requirements?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

We are from the U.S. and are traveling to Greece for the 7/25 Greek Isle cruise on the NCL Jade.  It looks like we need a negative COVID test to fly into Greece and fly back to the U.S. within 24 or 72 hours (confusing) depending on the test.  We are trying to figure out how to get the test on our return when we are on the cruise, get off and head to the airport.  NCL has no answers except "contact the airlines".  The airlines have no clue what the requirements are.  We are very concerned.    w e are fully vaccinated.

Does anyone have these answers or any suggestions on logistics and requirements?  Thanks.

I think this has been answered on another thread you posted.

17 hours ago, victory2020 said:

I think we're on the same cruise. They didn't charge a deviation fee? Are you going early or staying after? 

Both before and after.  There was a charge of $50 but it was zeroed out on the last invoice I received through my TA.  

1 minute ago, kby1216 said:

British Airways

That's what I thought when I saw your itinerary. Interesting that you already know your seats, even if that can change, because normally it's not possible to get the seats without paying for them before check-in when buying cheap tickets, including cheap businessclass tickets, on British Airways. I assume that NCL buy cheap tickets!

3 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

That's what I thought when I saw your itinerary. Interesting that you already know your seats, even if that can change, because normally it's not possible to get the seats without paying for them before check-in when buying cheap tickets, including cheap businessclass tickets, on British Airways. I assume that NCL buy cheap tickets!

When I put in my reservation number it had a link to check seats. There were some that would have had a cost attached but the seats we switched to were no cost. I only changed my husband from the window to an aisle seat not really moving to another row or section.