Christine Duffy on GMA Today - Vaccine Question

22 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Ok yes I did see they told july and august pax they could cancel. Oddly since I'm only 2 weeks later into sept I was never offered to cancel. My TA asked for a delay on final payment and they told him no.

I think carnival knew most july and august cruises arent going to go. Sept 11th, doesnt matter if I like masks or not, we got no offers. I cant cancel with carnival, nor offered obc to keep my booking. Lol I did feel a little slighted.

You're still 3 months out.  You may receive that form letter in a few weeks.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 9:30 AM, SRQbeachgirl said:

It could if HHS extends the National Emergency Declaration. No word yet as to whether that will happen. However, FEMA is rescinding it's Emergency Declaration mid-September and the TSA is also rescinding their mask order for airports and planes on September 13, which makes it much more difficult for the CDC to maintain that there is still a travel emergency that needs to be addressed through a CSO.

Those are expiration dates for the current orders only. There is no decision yet on whether those dates will be extended or not, but if things continue on the path we are seeing now, the Public Health Emergency and the underlying orders could be gone by late September. If things go sideways, all bets are off. 

Just now, SNJCruisers said:

The problem is that you can't compare land based protocols with cruise ship ones because of the space restrictions.

If the ships sail at reduced capacity, then they can have spacing requirements indoors.  I agree that a ship sailing at full capacity would have challenges to keep people at a distance.  The question is, will the ships be sailing at full capacity or reduced?  

It almost seems like I won't know anything until I board my cruise.  You would think things would at least be ironed out by now.  This constant flip flopping is annoying.  I know it's a fluid situation, but other businesses have been open for a year.

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

If the ships sail at reduced capacity, then they can have spacing requirements indoors.  I agree that a ship sailing at full capacity would have challenges to keep people at a distance.  The question is, will the ships be sailing at full capacity or reduced?  

It almost seems like I won't know anything until I board my cruise.  You would think things would at least be ironed out by now.  This constant flip flopping is annoying.  I know it's a fluid situation, but other businesses have been open for a year.

And most have been open the entire time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

The CDC has modified its position, the cruise lines have modified theirs. Who is the anti-business variable standing in the way. The one who refuses to compromise? Otherwise we could be cruising tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The CDC has modified its position, the cruise lines have modified theirs. Who is the anti-business variable standing in the way. The one who refuses to compromise? Otherwise we could be cruising tomorrow.

There are cruises taking place right now.  You can cruise "tomorrow" (probably Saturday) if you want.

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Some have gone from blaming the CDC to blaming the cruise lines, but it seems like those two have largely worked out a solution. May have to start looking elsewhere in the blame game.

The CDC are the ones that have put in place requirements that are making companies choose between children or restrictions that are outdated.

Edited by regoodwinjr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

The CDC are the ones that have put in place requirements that are making companies choose between children or restrictions that are outdated.

perhaps in your opinion. Some are forcing cruise lines to choose between safe cruises and death ships.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

would any one of them agree that if covid is detected on the ship it immediately returns to port to quarantine everyone to their cabins and everyone quarantined at port until tested?

This is the fly in the ointment for me.  My question is WHY would a ship need to immediately return to port?  This is not the BEGINNING of Covid where it could spread through everyone this is the END where most people are vaccinated and the crew is vaccinated.  Simply quarantine them to their rooms just like they would with an outbreak of NORO.  This is the part that CDC needs to amend that is causing so much grief not whether someone is vaccinated or not or wearing a mask or not.  If your vaccinated you have no cause for concern (dont give me the excuse of "Breakthrough" cases they are such a small percentage they dont even qualify for the word tiny).  The vaccinated will carry on with their vacation and the others will be confined to their rooms until a port is reached the next day and they can be offloaded. Simple.  Those that "choose" to accept that risk have no reason to be upset.  

• Like 4

Just now, BlerkOne said:

perhaps in your opinion. Some are forcing cruise lines to choose between safe cruises and death ships.

The only death ships were the ones that various governments forced people to stay on ship.  Even unvaccinated people can eat out on shore and not where a mask but the CDC is still mandating masking for extended dining on anything other than a full vaccinated cruise. That is out of touch with all guidelines. Also, unvaccinated cruises have been going on for the last year without the so called death ships.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, txgranny said:

Those in havana accommodations wear bracelets 

And those in high end hotels and resorts are given wristbands so they can use the pool and other recreational facilities.

Disney, as an American corporation as you’ll ever find, uses wristbands and smart phone technology for guests who qualify for certain perks.

Heck, to drink in an 18 and up night club you need to have a wristband showing you’re 21 and above!

I guess many here have never heard the term 

“ cut off your nose to spite your face”!

They would resist common sense solutions only because anything “mandated” is evil and government control, no matter if it’s in all of ours and the cruise industry’s best interest!!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Those are expiration dates for the current orders only. There is no decision yet on whether those dates will be extended or not, but if things continue on the path we are seeing now, the Public Health Emergency and the underlying orders could be gone by late September. If things go sideways, all bets are off. 

Yes, but FEMA has notified state governments that they will not be renewing the current order. Agreed that all bets are off if things go off the rails between now and then, but considering our current trajectory it would take something extraordinary for that to happen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Florida was one of those.

Wrong. Those ships did not originate in the US and were never scheduled to dock in Florida ports or  anywhere else in the US.  The negation occurred as the ships were traveling to Florida and they weren't in US waters when the governor made the statements.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

This is the fly in the ointment for me.  My question is WHY would a ship need to immediately return to port?  This is not the BEGINNING of Covid where it could spread through everyone this is the END where most people are vaccinated and the crew is vaccinated.  Simply quarantine them to their rooms just like they would with an outbreak of NORO.  This is the part that CDC needs to amend that is causing so much grief not whether someone is vaccinated or not or wearing a mask or not.  If your vaccinated you have no cause for concern (dont give me the excuse of "Breakthrough" cases they are such a small percentage they dont even qualify for the word tiny).  The vaccinated will carry on with their vacation and the others will be confined to their rooms until a port is reached the next day and they can be offloaded. Simple.  Those that "choose" to accept that risk have no reason to be upset.  

There seems to be some in between here. The CDC talks of the ship returning to port if a THRESHOLD  of cases occurs. So, one or two cases or a very few could be dealt with by quarantine. A lot of cases would obviously be a problem. At least that's how I interpret the threshold requirement.

4 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

Wrong. Those ships did not originate in the US and were never scheduled to dock in Florida ports or  anywhere else in the US.  The negation occurred as the ships were traveling to Florida and they weren't in US waters when the governor made the statements.   

The splitting of hairs is rejected as did Florida to cruise ships. Then it was like, ok, we will let the Americans off. The lack of compassion cannot be overlooked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, regoodwinjr said:

Also, unvaccinated cruises have been going on for the last year without the so called death ships.

Until very recent - with NO Americans. With people who can follow basic instructions. There hasn't been a mutiny or insurrection, either.

Just now, BlerkOne said:

The splitting of hairs is rejected as did Florida to cruise ships. Then it was like, ok, we will let the Americans off. The lack of compassion cannot be overlooked.

No splitting of hairs the ship was off South America and days away from the US.  They should have disembarked and quarantined there so they didn't risk exposing the rest of the passengers.

• Like 1