For my fellow Canadians.

15 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

We went for our scheduled appointment yesterday and the doses arrived but not the mixing agent. They said they would reschedule us for a later date. Not sure when though. 

We scoured our local public health unit webpage when we got home and found 2 appointments for Lisa and I for this Sunday. We searched a bit more and found an appointment for Sharon last night at 5:30. She was quite surprised when we called her with the next date and time. 

Fingers crossed for tomorrow, but the PHU clinics have yet to have an issue. 

That's unfortunate but impressive that you're able to rebook elsewhere in a relatively short time time. Good luck 🙂. I'm honestly quite impressed at how much the vaccine roll out has picked up now in terms of availability and locations. 

On another note....

I think Canadians are beginning to book all kinds of travel at an exponential rate since the announcement, in anticipation by September the 14 day return quarantine will be lifted amongst other things. I believe travel will be much more expensive in the months ahead (2022) with the high increase in demand imho.

I've tried to call Westjet 3 times this past week... their website showed anywhere between a 250 - 400 minute wait time. When you ask for a call back, they say "press 1 if you want a callback on Wednesday, 2 Thursday, etc..."... it's freakin' Saturday!!!!! Anyhow, I just booked online Westjet a Cuba split/stay (Havana 3 nights + Varadero 4 nights) for November... half the premium seats are already booked.... website said "last two at this price". Sure enough after I booked, I tried to book again and price was up $400.

Both Westjet has a cancel for any reason insurance (full refund less a $250 pp fee) but only for flights & vacations booked before end of June. I think that luxury will be gone after that.

I also have KensingtonTours arranging a Costa Rica land vacay for Feb, and my TA there said that with the opening up of things they are being swamped this past month, Americans & Canadians alike.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

We went for our scheduled appointment yesterday and the doses arrived but not the mixing agent. They said they would reschedule us for a later date. Not sure when though. 

We scoured our local public health unit webpage when we got home and found 2 appointments for Lisa and I for this Sunday. We searched a bit more and found an appointment for Sharon last night at 5:30. She was quite surprised when we called her with the next date and time. 

Too bad about the missed appointment but nice to see you got in again really quick.

4 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Too bad that did not work out for you.  Fingers crossed for Sunday.  1st shot for the two of you?  How about Owen?

10 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Too bad that did not work out for you.  Fingers crossed for Sunday.  1st shot for the two of you?  How about Owen?

Second for us. We fall into the had the second dose before April 18th category.  Owen had his first dose maybe 2/3 weeks ago, can’t remember the exact date of the top of my head. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

Second for us. We fall into the had the second dose before April 18th category.  Owen had his first dose maybe 2/3 weeks ago, can’t remember the exact date of the top of my head. 

Glad for you.  I get my 2nd dose tomorrow as well (Tracy did yesterday).  Our "little" ones got theirs a couple of weeks ago as well.  We are hoping all 6 of us can be vaccinated and do a summer cruise.

To all my other fellow Canadians in this thread.  I am just wondering when you next booked cruise is planned for.  No judgement of your opinions.  I am just wondering who here may feel comfortable enough to cruise this summer and has one planned.

12 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Glad for you.  I get my 2nd dose tomorrow as well (Tracy did yesterday).  Our "little" ones got theirs a couple of weeks ago as well.  We are hoping all 6 of us can be vaccinated and do a summer cruise.

To all my other fellow Canadians in this thread.  I am just wondering when you next booked cruise is planned for.  No judgement of your opinions.  I am just wondering who here may feel comfortable enough to cruise this summer and has one planned.

I'm booked in August 23 out of Seattle heading to Alaska. However, while I am Canadian, I live in the US and won't have to cross the border for this cruise.  If I was still in Canada i'd be nervous about booking because of what was going on at the border.

21 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

We were booked on the Harmony for August and L&S to next year.  Technically our sailing is the first to restart but WestJet cancelled our flights to Barcelona a while back, our employers still have very strict restrictions in place & we're not sure what's happening at the border so we're ok with cancelling.  I will say watching the Adventure vlogs today makes me wish I had something on the books 🤣

1 hour ago, Russ Lomas said:

We have one booked for mid Nov this year which we got a really good deal on and it's paid off with FCC.If it gets cancelled then we will use it on another cruise we have booked.Then after that one in Feb 2022.

3 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Cancelled our October cruise long ago. Honestly optimistic for March of next year. Have an AI booked for early February and think that should go too. All depends on restrictions coming home for us.  

13 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

This summer we'll be visiting our new granddaughter in Ontario (and her mom and dad too 😉). We just booked a Caribbean AI for just after Christmas. We have cancel for any reason up to 3 hours before the flight, just in case. The prices for Aruba and Barbados and some of the other islands at that time were off the charts so we'll be going to the DR to a resort we have been to before but it was only about $1 grand more each than the last time we went at that time of year.

We are waiting until later in 2022 for our next cruise, maybe a summer one in Europe while visiting relatives there or an Alaskan cruise.  I was never one to line up at the Apple store for a new product release.  I'll let the early adopters work out the bugs first. 

• Like 2

Second dose administered.  Lisa and I are vax’d up.  Owen in mid July.

Glad to hear it.

I got my 2nd one today as well this morning.  Twins are booked for their 2nd ones late July.  We just need to get out older 2 girls their 2nd shots before our August 2021 cruise if the stars align.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 6:27 PM, Russ Lomas said:

First of all I am so glad that I found this thread.. THANK YOU everyone !! As mentioned in my first post my wife and I are booked on the Oasis for an October 3 sailing out of New Jersey to Caribbean but I am having reservations about our decision now :-(  as it appears that most of the posters on this board are waiting until the new year and there are just so many variables still to navigate.

If anyone can shed any light or offer their opinion on any of the items below is would be much appreciated !!!

1. Canadian government chances of lifting non-essential travel restrictions, the mandatory Covid hotel stay and then subsequent 14 day at home isolation protocol.

2. Produce a valid negative PCR version test result from a lab before flying out from Canada to the U.S. and then also the same test before flying back into Canada. We live in a small town and it appears we would need to drive to Oshawa to the closest LifeLabs @ $200 per person in order to have this test performed whilst navigating the labs 48 hour guaranteed results turnaround window and stay within the 72 hour negative test before departure window UGH !!  I have read that R.C. is providing complimentary PCR testing on the 5th+ 6th day of the cruise but am waiting for a reply email to confirm that.

3. Insurances.. what do you need and where can you get them? Or is the R.C. Cruise with Confidence assurance that if you contract Covid during the cruise they will cover any costs a good enough insurance peace of mind?

Thank you in advance for any opinion you may have and stay safe !!

Cheers,

Tracey & Dave

Edited by sprdave63

Sprdave, (are you or have been a sapper?), I don’t know about point 2, but the restrictions around travelling seen to be loosening. Today it’s essential travel, but non essential can’t be very far behind. I hope. 

I would always travel with my own insurance. I’m reasonably sure that RC would cover you for COVID, but if you broke your ankle on the beach....

This is just my opinion- we have a cruise booked for late January.

sprdave63, my understanding is that some of the travel restrictions will start to ease in July.  Right now you can fly into the States, the non essential restriction was for land travel (and that had a work around). So by October, you should be able to fly into the Sates with no problems if you are fully vaccinated, but I would think both country's would still require a negative Covid test to avoid the quarantine for the foreseeable future at least.  I hope I'm wrong on this but we should all be prepared for getting the test and add in the costs of these tests as an additional cost of international travel. 

As for insurance, again my understanding is that a lot of third party travel insurance policies excluded Covid  as a covered ailment, at least early on in the pandemic. The same applied to many  company health insurance plans for out-of-province insurance coverage. For our December AI we purchased travel cancellation and health insurance through the travel company because Covid  was covered. I guess they needed to have these plans just to be able to sell the vacations. I don't know if the Royal insurance plan has any restrictions or not. I would suggest you get the policy details and check this out. But I would think they would be highly motivated to include Covid as covered expense to support their main cruise business. But double and triple check this. 

Edited by DirtyDawg

2 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

Sprdave, (are you or have been a sapper?), I don’t know about point 2, but the restrictions around travelling seen to be loosening. Today it’s essential travel, but non essential can’t be very far behind. I hope. 

I would always travel with my own insurance. I’m reasonably sure that RC would cover you for COVID, but if you broke your ankle on the beach....

This is just my opinion- we have a cruise booked for late January.

Thank you for your reply and no I have not been a "sapper" if that is referring to a military person?

I have travel insurance also but not certain that my standard out of country travel Sun Life insurance policy will suffice.. I will call them to see if it covers a Covid trip interruption type occurrence which could prove costly if a person was forced to quarantine for 14 days in a foreign country. I just thought I would ask on here if anyone had experience with such an item as a Covid travel insurance policy.

Thank you again for your reply!!

Cheers,

Dave

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

sprdave63, my understanding is that some of the travel restrictions will start to ease in July.  Right now you can fly into the States, the non essential restriction was for land travel (and that had a work around). So by October, you should be able to fly into the Sates with no problems if you are fully vaccinated, but I would think both country's would still require a negative Covid test to avoid the quarantine for the foreseeable future at least.  I hope I'm wrong on this but we should all be prepared for getting the test and add in the costs of these tests as an additional cost of international travel. 

As for insurance, again my understanding is that a lot of third party travel insurance policies excluded Covid  as a covered ailment, at least early on in the pandemic. The same applied to many  company health insurance plans for out-of-province insurance coverage. For our December AI we purchased travel cancellation and health insurance through the travel company because Covid  was covered. I guess they needed to have these plans just to be able to sell the vacations. I don't know if the Royal insurance plan has any restrictions or not. I would suggest you get the policy details and check this out. But I would think they would be highly motivated to include Covid as covered expense to support their main cruise business. But double and triple check this. 

Thank you also for Mr. Dawg for taking the time to reply to my posted questions. I appreciate your positivity about the loosening of travel restrictions and I too hope that they drop the required PCR Covid test but also understand the importance of both countries requesting it.

I am going to do a deep dive into the insurance aspect as I too cannot foresee standard insurance taking on the risk of potential out of country quarantine costs  when people are knowingly travelling during a health crisis.

Thanks again for your reply !!

Cheers,

Dave

If things keep going this well, B.C. projections for September will be down to almost zero cases.  Regarding travel insurance, again in B.C. I got a letter from Pacific Blue Cross and they are now covering Covid expenses (they cancelled covering Covid in 2020) as long as person has 2 doses, and 20 days out.  So it is all a start.  We have

2 minutes ago, sprdave63 said:

Thank you for your reply and no I have not been a "sapper" if that is referring to a military person?

I have travel insurance also but not certain that my standard out of country travel Sun Life insurance policy will suffice.. I will call them to see if it covers a Covid trip interruption type occurrence which could prove costly if a person was forced to quarantine for 14 days in a foreign country. I just thought I would ask on here if anyone had experience with such an item as a Covid travel insurance policy.

Thank you again for your reply!!

Cheers,

Dave

Please post on your results, because a Covid specific policy will be new to everyone.

I'm not a frequent poster, but an avid reader of cruise critic. I have only been on three cruises, but it is my fav mode of vacation.

I only have my first dose, second is booked for Sept 7 but that will get bumped up by a few weeks.  My DH doesn't want the vax right now. Not sure what he is waiting for as he will definitely need it in the future to participate in travel, possibly large events, etc

Anyhoo, glad to see many Canucks getting their first and second shots.  Our Feds need to come up with a master plan to share with the world.  If they don't have if by July the travel industry will lose their minds (and I don't blame them!)

• Like 1