For my fellow Canadians.

10 minutes ago, loman said:

If you do have multiple appointments dont forget to cancel the duplicates .

We went through a bunch of emails to get off lists at pharmacies, as well as a phone call to our local PHU to cancel the pre-set doses there.  Like they were for you, they were appreciative.  

12 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Just sold a set of front fenders and grill for a 47 Dodge truck to a guy from Montreal. He works for a trucking cmpany and I guess the driver has clearance to come & go as he oicked them up today in Houston and is headed north making a bunch of stopd aong the way. 

I can 100% confirm that there are situations where people that are completely outside the "non-essential worker" categorization are driving across the land border for visits. 
There are rules around quarantining, (and the person must perform their covid tests online in front of a health nurse whilst doing so), but I am not sufficiently invested to know all the details.

- Nate who lives 3 minutes from a land crossing and, whilst not going to visit said persons while they were here, can confirm it happens.

Perhaps that even provides some hope for those planning a crossing at a land border on their way to port later this year.

1 minute ago, NateUpNorth said:

I can 100% confirm that there are situations where people that are completely outside the "non-essential worker" categorization are driving across the land border for visits. 
There are rules around quarantining, (and the person must perform their covid tests online in front of a health nurse whilst doing so), but I am not sufficiently invested to know all the details.

- Nate who lives 3 minutes from a land crossing and, whilst not going to visit said persons while they were here, can confirm it happens.

Perhaps that even provides some hope for those planning a crossing at a land border on their way to port later this year.

We are learning all this in preparation of our return.  What a great way of deterring Canadians from travelling.  

3 minutes ago, Magicat said:

We are learning all this in preparation of our return.  What a great way of deterring Canadians from travelling.  

Allow me to add then:

The person in question was fully vaxxed, had the docs to show times/dates etc etc etc however CBSA is a "no exceptions" situation right now and therefore (and to much amusement of their family) had to do the Qtip brain tickle in front of the online camera. (Twice in one instance as the nurse indicated she didn't see the Qtip all the way from nose to test!! LOL!!!)

So for any returning Snowbirds with both shots......... there's that.

On 6/12/2021 at 6:27 PM, Russ Lomas said:

To all my other fellow Canadians in this thread.  I am just wondering when you next booked cruise is planned for. 

Booked on Ovation’s second Alaska sailing,  on Aug 20, only because of the cruise with confidence policy. We tacked this onto the end of a domestic vacation  we have planned to visit the Rockies. We have 4 more cruises booked in Dec-Jan and Feb 2022.

On 6/14/2021 at 9:01 AM, sprdave63 said:

1. Canadian government chances of lifting non-essential travel restrictions, the mandatory Covid hotel stay and then subsequent 14 day at home isolation protocol.

2. Produce a valid negative PCR version test result from a lab before flying out from Canada to the U.S. and then also the same test before flying back into Canada. We live in a small town and it appears we would need to drive to Oshawa to the closest LifeLabs @ $200 per person in order to have this test performed whilst navigating the labs 48 hour guaranteed results turnaround window and stay within the 72 hour negative test before departure window UGH !!  I have read that R.C. is providing complimentary PCR testing on the 5th+ 6th day of the cruise but am waiting for a reply email to confirm that.

3. Insurances.. what do you need and where can you get them? Or is the R.C. Cruise with Confidence assurance that if you contract Covid during the cruise they will cover any costs a good enough insurance peace of mind?

Personally, I’m feeling optimistic. Based on the declining cases/hospitalizations, and increasing number of fully vaccinated people, IMHO I don’t think it will be too much longer before the non-essential travel restrictions are lifted, and I expect the mandatory quarantine won’t be required if fully vaccinated. People are getting antsy to travel again. Of course, things can always change with this virus, and there are still many unknowns. 

For my cruise in August I’m hoping a) to have received my 2nd vaccine and be fully vaccinated b) not require 14 day quarantine on arrival back in Canada but I’m ok with self isolating a couple of days to get back test results c) being fully vaccinated, I hope we won’t require a COVID test for international travel, or at least find a cheaper test option (for a family of 4, spending $800 for this test hurts!). d) no issues if RC provides complimentary testing  e) I haven’t thought about insurance, thanks for the reminder. If vaccinated, even if I get COVID I’m expecting it to be mild/asymptomatic. At most I may be quarantined or isolated on the ship, but I’m ok with that...it wouldn’t ruin my trip. I’ll take a more careful look at my current insurance coverage (trip cancellation/interruption, and medical).

Maybe one day we will reach a point (months, or a couple of years maybe?) where even if you test +ve for COVID, it won’t have major implications/restrictions. 

Hubby and I just got our 2nd doses of Pfizer at basically the 4 month interval but are so happy to see so many people getting vaccinated. The more people who get vaccinated the better protected we all will be and the more likely we we are to loosen restrictions in a sustainable way.

I've been watching the AOS videos and it has me wanting to vacation so badly. At least now, we can feel better about seeing family & friends who are also vaccinated for backyard bbqs, patio drinks, pool parties & bonfires. 

• Like 1

I got my first jab April 21 (AstraZeneca) and managed to find an appointment for dose 2 July 11th (probably Moderna). It has been hard to find a second dose appointment. I am most frustrated for my son, he turns 12 in December, supposed to be while on Carnival Mardi Gras followed by a week on Harmony. At this point I have no idea if we'll be able to go 😞 I have until September so hopefully by then we'll know more about vaccinating younger kids and also what requirements for cruising, and travelling to/from Canada will be. It is frustrating because I know some areas of Ontario are giving the shot to any child born in 2009, as is Alberta, but not nearby so I don't know where to go to do that. 

We will have to settle for hoping the water parks and Wonderland open this summer so we can go on a little trip. We're in Ottawa and while I hate driving in/through Toronto, we'll do it just to do something. 

6 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Just sold a set of front fenders and grill for a 47 Dodge truck to a guy from Montreal. He works for a trucking cmpany and I guess the driver has clearance to come & go as he oicked them up today in Houston and is headed north making a bunch of stopd aong the way. 

I have a friend who is a long haul trucker and hauls mainly cars.  He has not stopped this entire time. Back and forth over the border at least once a week. He just came back from a 3 week western Canada trip. Sold his second rig and trailer to a guy out there after hauling cars out and then bought a Mercedes van and enclosed trailer for the drive home. He then bought classic automotive parts, signs etc on his drive home. I think you’d like his place, lots of classic Mopar and old automoblia.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Ken, is that included in the insurance Ontario teachers get through their work policy or are you referring to other individuals who purchase it separately?

Separate policy.  I’m not sure what if any adjystments have been made to the teachers policy 

35 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I have a friend who is a long haul trucker and hauls mainly cars.  He has not stopped this entire time. Back and forth over the border at least once a week. He just came back from a 3 week western Canada trip. Sold his second rig and trailer to a guy out there after hauling cars out and then bought a Mercedes van and enclosed trailer for the drive home. He then bought classic automotive parts, signs etc on his drive home. I think you’d like his place, lots of classic Mopar and old automoblia.

Sounds like my kind of place. My rebuild project is coming together but ever so slowly. But that baby Hemi (241 Red Ram) sure looks and sounds good. Working on the chassis now. 

BTW I sold them to a guy that works for Bourassa Transport out of Quebec. He's on a special project of rebuilding a 1946 two ton truck for them and needed some fenders & grill. I recently posted them on a FB page and he spotted them. He told me that he's bringing the truck back to life and to original condition. They plan keep it on display and use for company functions, parades etc.  

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 12:53 PM, Magicat said:

This has already been changed. They'll now accept any WHO-authorized vaccine as well as any FDA-authorized