Judge may not rule before July 1 (FL vs CDC)

BlerkOne

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It was a joke.  I guess my sense of humor is too warped.  LOL  Some people are so easily offended that you can't even joke.

Sorry, apparently I took it too seriously.  That's on me, not you.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Sorry, apparently I took it too seriously.  That's on me, not you.

I should have added this 🤣.  I really didn't think anyone would take me seriously.  I would have laughed if someone had posted it about me shredding some foam. But I am crazy that way. haha

Give me a Guy's Ringer burger in a to go box and all that would be left is shredded foam.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Yea, I’m sure that’s what you meant. 😂

Then show the evidence of the statement.  You review judges now?  The point is the delay is BS, no guts move.  A request for an immediate  cease and desist and the government does absolutely nothing other than drag their feet for months , just like the CDC, over and over and over.  Disgusting

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Then show the evidence of the statement.  You review judges now?  The point is the delay is BS, no guts move.  A request for an immediate  cease and desist and the government does absolutely nothing other than drag their feet for months , just like the CDC, over and over and over.  Disgusting

I did not speak to the judges record, which is what you claimed I did. I said he was learned and respected as a jurist. Both of which are true. I don’t “review” judges, and no review by you or anyone else is going to impact a judge appointed for life.

You obviously have no idea what is happening with this litigation. Judge Merryday gave Florida the opportunity to negotiate a compromise with the CDC, rather than just immediately dismissing the state’s request for the CSO to be lifted.  The mediation failed. Now there will be further hearings and at some point a decision by the judge. 

Neither the CDC, nor the judge, is “dragging out” the case. It is proceeding in due course. Even if the state were to be granted injunctive relief tomorrow, the CDC would immediately appeal and the CSO would remain in place pending that appeal and a trial, neither of which would happen quickly. Meanwhile cruising restarts leaving the Florida lawsuit in the rear view mirror.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The judge should have tossed the suit from the get go.

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

Neither the CDC, nor the judge, is “dragging out” the case. It is proceeding in due course.

Thank you. 
It seems that many people believe that the justice system works in real life the way it does on TV. 

Spoiler: It most definitely doesn’t! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Thank you. 
It seems that many people believe that the justice system works in real life the way it does on TV. 

Spoiler: It most definitely doesn’t! 

LOL, at "many people believe that the justice system works in real life the way it does on TV".

It reminds me of a case on Law & Order in which a veteran is murdered. They have the investigation, the trial, and the conviction. And then Lenny Briscoe and whichever partner he has at the time attend the funeral for the veteran. Yeah right, it does not take lots and lots of time for a murder case to go to trial.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

You wanted the judge to immediately grant the temporary injunction. He did not see it that way. That does not mean he has no guts.

It does mean the issues were more complicated than some people want to cruise right now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

LOL, at "many people believe that the justice system works in real life the way it does on TV".

It reminds me of a case on Law & Order in which a veteran is murdered. They have the investigation, the trial, and the conviction. And then Lenny Briscoe and whichever partner he has at the time attend the funeral for the veteran. Yeah right, it does not take lots and lots of time for a murder case to go to trial.

Yup. Dad was a homicide detective. Grandpa was an attorney (both he and Dad may never forgive me for not becomming one). Hubby was an arson investigator. We all get a kick over how justice works on TV and in the movies. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, harkinmr said:

I did not speak to the judges record, which is what you claimed I did. I said he was learned and respected as a jurist. Both of which are true. I don’t “review” judges, and no review by you or anyone else is going to impact a judge appointed for life.

You obviously have no idea what is happening with this litigation. Judge Merryday gave Florida the opportunity to negotiate a compromise with the CDC, rather than just immediately dismissing the state’s request for the CSO to be lifted.  The mediation failed. Now there will be further hearings and at some point a decision by the judge. 

Neither the CDC, nor the judge, is “dragging out” the case. It is proceeding in due course. Even if the state were to be granted injunctive relief tomorrow, the CDC would immediately appeal and the CSO would remain in place pending that appeal and a trial, neither of which would happen quickly. Meanwhile cruising restarts leaving the Florida lawsuit in the rear view mirror.  

Pretty much what you said is true any way you hack it the court battles will take so long that by the time the end of the road is reached so to speak the ships will all be sailing and there won't be an issue anymore.  Just wasting time and money.

13 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

Pretty much what you said is true any way you hack it the court battles will take so long that by the time the end of the road is reached so to speak the ships will all be sailing and there won't be an issue anymore.  Just wasting time and money.

This whole mess is good for at least another month of new coverage! I might be jaded, but can't help but think that this is nothing more now than a pi**ing contest between parties.

10 hours ago, ontheweb said:

You wanted the judge to immediately grant the temporary injunction. He did not see it that way. That does not mean he has no guts.

It does mean the issues were more complicated than some people want to cruise right now.

I wanted a decision, that is what they asked for.  By design and cease and desist is short term in nature.  If he waits it out till November his job is done.  Questions asked of both sides were head shaking in nature.    Look at the facts, what is bleed rate for the 3 major cruise lines....your right, he should sit on his hands and snore....the CDC has proven that to be an effective tactic.  DISASTER

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I wanted a decision, that is what they asked for.  By design and cease and desist is short term in nature.  If he waits it out till November his job is done.  Questions asked of both sides were head shaking in nature.    Look at the facts, what is bleed rate for the 3 major cruise lines....your right, he should sit on his hands and snore....the CDC has proven that to be an effective tactic.  DISASTER

The judge made a point of saying it should have been decided a long time ago - as in why did it take so long to bring the suit that was brought. It isn't the fault of the judge that Florida waited so long to bring the suit, and then was asking for immediate relief. They got what they deserved  - nothing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The judge made a point of saying it should have been decided a long time ago - as in why did it take so long to bring the suit that was brought. It isn't the fault of the judge that Florida waited so long to bring the suit, and then was asking for immediate relief. They got what they deserved  - nothing.

Glad we got that straightened out....😓

Edited by jimbo5544

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

At this point it doesn't really matter.  They are sailing.  I think every major line has approval to sail or do their test cruise and sail.  If it were filed last summer I agree it might have more teeth.  The ships are going with or without a decision plus there are appeals and such that will take us to November for sure.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cscurlock said:

At this point it doesn't really matter.  They are sailing.  I think every major line has approval to sail or do their test cruise and sail.  If it were filed last summer I agree it might have more teeth.  The ships are going with or without a decision plus there are appeals and such that will take us to November for sure.  

Pretty much. Too late to stop the July cruises now, and no point in trying later.

2 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

You are correct, it is of little difference now.  The same could be said of the six month stall the CDC did.  The point is if we accept crappy performance, it sets the bar.

Edited by jimbo5544

and the same could be said of the cruise lines stall. The cruise lines could have come up with a common plan, instead of each going their own way. They are all going to end up at the same place, eventually.

Nobody knew how rapidly things would progress this year. Well, some people did.

15 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

and the same could be said of the cruise lines stall. The cruise lines could have come up with a common plan, instead of each going their own way. They are all going to end up at the same place, eventually.

Nobody knew how rapidly things would progress this year. Well, some people did.

LOL, that must be you....right?😅  Last post and I will move on.  Did the cruise lines delay the assessment of the first area of mitigation and did they delay the other three for the months of October, November, December< January, February, and March?  We know what the CDC did....made a chart, a really impressive chart, with colors also.  Failure. 

35 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

What completely absurd assertions.  You are correct that injunctive relief ordinarily is granted quickly. However, the fact that it was not should tell you that the arguments by the state for such relief were weak and the judge saw it that way.  He ordered the parties to mediation rather than an immediate denial of injunctive relief in order to spare the state that fate.  

Questions of each side were based on the legal arguments and fully appropriate.  You are just unhappy with the fact that a decision was not made immediately in favor of the state. If the state’s case survives any longer they should consider themselves fortunate. 

• Like 2

Jimbo, the cruise lines delayed since the requirements were published in April 2020.  If they had submitted plans, the CDC would not have needed "technical instructions", and the delay involved there.  There never was a "requirement" for "technical instructions", it was stated that the requirements could be revised or amended by further technical instructions, but nothing stopped the lines from submitting plans in the first place.  But, I've said this to you many times over the past year, and you don't want to acknowledge it.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

Waste of time and taxpayer dollars at this point. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, that must be you....right?😅  Last post and I will move on.  Did the cruise lines delay the assessment of the first area of mitigation and did they delay the other three for the months of October, November, December< January, February, and March?  We know what the CDC did....made a chart, a really impressive chart, with colors also.  Failure. 

It is almost a year since the cruise lines held various covid mitigation conferences. They knew what would be required and still did nothing. Failure. There are no innocents.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keys2Heaven said:

This whole mess is good for at least another month of new coverage! I might be jaded, but can't help but think that this is nothing more now than a pi**ing contest between parties.

The State has its constituency, businesses, revenue, etc. in the game.  CDC may say they have public health in mind but this is no longer supported by the science, but can still hide behind the excuse.  The judge believes there is merit otherwise he would have tossed it.  I thing hes giving the CDC the benefit of the doubt and really doesnt want to rule against them.

• Like 2