8 Crew Test Positive on the Odyssey

bdever

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

So, instead of sailing July 3rd, it will be July 31st.  That's a bummer for the people booked on those cruises.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Someone mentioned in the comments that the crew had only received their first dose of Pfizer at this point so it’s not terribly surprising and just part of the process. Why did Royal wait so close to sail date to start the process though??? 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

This really makes July cruises questionable.  They are quarantining the crew for 14 days.  This can happen on any ship.

True, but didn’t Carnival start their crewing up and quarantine process earlier than Royal did for their July sailings?? Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought they did.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

So, instead of sailing July 3rd, it will be July 31st.  That's a bummer for the people booked on those cruises.

I dont want to put a damper on the party but if it's a unvaccinated cruise they still have to do a test cruise ... rolls eyes. Glad once again to be in texas.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bdever said:

True, but didn’t Carnival start their crewing up and quarantine process earlier than Royal did for their July sailings?? Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought they did.

I think they started vaccinating their crew in May.  Hopefully, they are finished by now with the crew on the ships that are sailing in July.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I wonder if this will make them rethink their vaccine policy.

Why would it. If read it the crew hadnt had the 14 days since the vaccine to be protected. The crew will eventually be at fully vaccinated. 

_____

Unfortunately, the odyssey isn’t over yet – eight crew members onboard have tested positive for COVID-19. These cases occurred after the vaccination was administered to all 1,400 Odyssey crew, but before the vaccines were fully effective. The affected crew are doing well - they are quarantined and being cared for onboard.  

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, stellarose said:

don't give up on the vaccine.  I think for the rest of 21' it will be vaccinated cruises.  and those who voluntary show proof will sail

Vaccinated should end as the CSO ends on November 1.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Vaccinated should end as the CSO ends on November 1.

Lol I'm with that engineer guy Chen ..we think the cdc wouldnt go away and just let it expire. New protocols? Something. This is their only power. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stellarose said:

I think vaccination stays till end of 21'.  

RCL is sailing with unvaccinated and Carnival is doing vaccinated. The cruise lines may end up doing both all year.  I can see some of the lines that have a majority of older passengers sailing with vaccinated passengers through the end of the year.  Lines like Carnival will probably change to open cruises as soon as they can do it without all of the mask requirements.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

RCL is sailing with unvaccinated and Carnival is doing vaccinated. The cruise lines may end up doing both all year.  I can see some of the lines that have a majority of older passengers sailing with vaccinated passengers through the end of the year.  Lines like Carnival will probably change to open cruises as soon as they can do it without all of the mask requirements.

Just a FYI  Rcl is only doing unvaccinated out of florida. The other ports are vaccinated.  Galveston is vaccinated for instance. ..and I'm not too sure about carnival the way they keep saying still talking. 

• Like 2

Just now, firefly333 said:

Just a FYI  Rcl is only doing unvaccinated out of florida. The other ports are vaccinated.  Galveston is vaccinated for instance. ..and I'm not too sure about carnival the way they keep saying still talking. 

Thanks for the clarification. So, it looks like both Royal and Carnival figured out a way around the law in Texas.  However, I wonder why Royal is doing unvaccinated in Florida and Carnival is doing vaccinated.  It seems like they would both be on the same page with the same information, unless Carnival is bluffing.

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Thanks for the clarification. So, it looks like both Royal and Carnival figured out a way around the law in Texas.  However, I wonder why Royal is doing unvaccinated in Florida and Carnival is doing vaccinated.  It seems like they would both be on the same page with the same information, unless Carnival is bluffing.

Sounds like rcl is trying to force it. If you arent vaccinated they will charge you a unknown amount to test you and perhaps other restrictions  .. trying to get unvaccinated to cancel imo. And how would they know unless they are asking you to volunteer your vaccine card. Pretty hard to get under 95% is all I see different. Rcl is asking you for the info. ..though I dont board rcl until dec. 

If i was unvaccinated i wouldn't rush to book with that unknown charge to board lol.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Sounds like rcl is trying to force it. If you arent vaccinated they will charge you a unknown amount to test you and perhaps other restrictions  .. trying to get unvaccinated to cancel imo. And how would they know unless they are asking you to volunteer your vaccine card. Pretty hard to get under 95% is all I see different. Rcl is asking you for the info. ..though I dont board rcl until dec. 

If i was unvaccinated i wouldn't rush to book with that unknown charge to board lol.

If I was not vaccinated, I would wait to cruise until the mask restrictions were lifted.  Many months ago, I figured that if I wanted to cruise this year I would need to get vaccinated.  Plus, I like that I am protected at the ports and flying to and from Florida.  There are just too many unknowns right now for people who aren't vaccinated.  Cruises and all that is involved are very expensive.  That's too much money to throw around without knowing if you will be allowed to do anything on the ship and at the ports.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

If I were unvaccinated, I would not cruise at all. Period. Not worth it, taking a chance like that. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bdever said:

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Someone mentioned in the comments that the crew had only received their first dose of Pfizer at this point so it’s not terribly surprising and just part of the process. Why did Royal wait so close to sail date to start the process though??? 

Most crew member had issues getting the vaccine in their home country. the only way for the crew to get the vaccine quickly is by having the crew getting the shots here in the states (Florida/Texas). Chris Wong has a youtube video about this and he is suppose to be a crew member onboard the Odyssey

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

My finger wouldnt copy down far enough on the page but I did copy rcl policy out of Galveston.  Over age 12 must be vaccinated. 

Also note cruises out of florida ..unvaccinated must cover expenses on their own dime which are being finalised. Rcl .. 

_____

Royal Vaccine Policy Summarized: HERE

The vaccine policies, which are in line with local regulations, are currently the following: 

• Cruises from Seattle: Guests who are 16 years of age or older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and those 12 or older as of Aug. 1
  • Cruises from Florida: It is strongly recommended that guests set sail fully vaccinated, if they are eligible. Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols at their own expense. These expenses are still being finalized. Based on our guest survey’s, we expect 90% of all our guests to be fully vaccinated
  • Cruises from Texas: Guests who are 12 years of age or older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I dont want to put a damper on the party but if it's a unvaccinated cruise they still have to do a test cruise ... rolls eyes. Glad once again to be in texas.

They have plenty of time, now.

• Like 3