Flights by Celebrity

RTR 21-0

We have our first Celebrity cruise booked next May, departing from Rome, and considering booking our flight through Celebrity.  Would like the pros and cons of those that have gone this route.  Also, it will be our first international trip and curious how far in advance we should book our flight.  TIA for your replies! 

9 minutes ago, RTR 21-0 said:

We have our first Celebrity cruise booked next May, departing from Rome, and considering booking our flight through Celebrity.  Would like the pros and cons of those that have gone this route.  Also, it will be our first international trip and curious how far in advance we should book our flight.  TIA for your replies! 

Biggest "pro" is that bookings are on "refundable" rates and you don't need to make payment until final cruise payment date.  I have also found they often have rates that are better than anything you can find with any other source.  For example, for my upcoming Athens cruises, we got RT LAX-ATH for only $500 per person.  Negative:  They don't actually ticket it right away, so it's often hard, depending on airline, to get seat assignments.  Another benefit is that if the fares go down or you find better flights, they'll change them for you.  You don't get stuck being locked into paid, nonrefundable tickets early...especially important if you end up canceling the cruise.

I usually book11 months in advance--when the flights for the needed dates usually first come out.  I'll first check sites like Expedia or Kayak to get an idea as to what is available...Then I'll check the Celebrity Air website...Then call directly...Sometimes they find flights you don't see on the website...but if you find one they don't see, they can get you that anyway--or just click on it an book via the website.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RTR 21-0 said:

First, I've found that the various cruise line flights can be considerably cheaper than the rack rate, especially for business class fares. For example, we are going on a cruise in January that departs out of Buenos Aires. The flights we got from Celebrity are about 40% of the cost for the exact same flights off the airlines web site. 

Second, the fares are fully refundable until final payment. As mentioned in another post, getting a seat assignment before the ticket is actually issues (generally around 45 days before flight) can be problematic with some airlines. But you can also continue to search for flights that may work better from an itinerary or pricing option until you actually make that payment. 

Book your flights as soon as the 330 day window opens up. If its a round trip in/out of the same port, then you have to wait until its 330 days from your return flight, if its 2 one-ways, then you can do each as the 330 day window opens. 

And last of all. Keep going back and checking on better itinerary and prices. On the mentioned BA flight above, I've already changed it 3 times to take advantage of both a better itinerary and price. 

• Thanks 1

The only downside is it only covers the big airlines, SW, jetblue, Hawaiian and (if you can tolerate) spirit/froniter, may be cheaper especially once you include baggage fees.  Airlines aren't giving refunds but they are giving travel credits therefore I would not pay more for a refundable ticket.  Through X, if you're not buying a refundable ticket you still have to pay upfront.  Like anything, shop around.  If you book through X you can add your loyalty numbers.

• Thanks 1

We have never used cruiseline air but for our 2 upcoming cruises I did the rates where close to what I could get on my own and we don't have to pay for them until final payment with everything a little unsure in the cruise world we thought it was best to be safe.

• Like 1

I’ve only done it 3x but all were extremely convenient and never one issue.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Normally we find the costs similar but the last 2 cruises the flight costs have been considerably more. We have gone with this due to the uncertainty of the current holiday market but would be interested to hear from uk cruisers whether the option to rebook with a better price is there 

• Like 1

Here is something new to consider using Flights by Celebrity if the costs are similar. (Click on the arrow at the top right, pointing to the right, to see the post, not just the start of the thread) 

Edited by rakes5

3 benefits I see:

1) don't need to pay until final payment,

2a) If you cancel voluntarily after final payment, $ 200 penalty pp and you get your money back,

2b) More importantly, if the cruise line cancels you get all your money back--that may or may not be important for May 2022 but certainly was a big consideration for my Sep Athens cruise this year, and

3) was 35% cheaper for business class than rates from airlines

CONs:

A) these days it seems to take a long time to get an agent on the phone, and

B) the audio connection always seems to be very poor

Edited by CalTexCruiser
  • Thanks 1

I have to disagree with one comment. Sometimes if the airlines drop their fare, X may not drop them or not drop them as much due to their contract group rates. This did happen to us on our flights to Hong Kong with return from Singapore not long ago.

• Thanks 1

Thx everyone!  I appreciate all of the feedback and it’s very helpfu sorting this out.  I’ve been watching the calendars on the airline sites and our date in May isn’t open yet but I’m thinking probably in the next week.  You’ve given me a lot to think about and hearing that business class can sometime be a bit less expensive through celebrity is nice.   I think the only drawback from what I’ve read is not being able to choose seats until closer to flight date or at time of final payment.   

Within the U.S. we purchase our own air and this is easier with the airlines allowing you to make changes this year.   We have a favorite, Star Alliance, and like accumulating points there.   I don’t mind Southwest but  have never had a cruise line book me on them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drowelf said:

And last of all. Keep going back and checking on better itinerary and prices. On the mentioned BA flight above, I've already changed it 3 times to take advantage of both a better itinerary and price. 

If you do see better prices or itineraries, are those changes you can complete yourself online or is a call required? I’m coming up on my 330 day window next month. I’ve always heard the best time to book international flights is about 6 months out but based on multiple recommendations on this thread and the ability to make changes, booking as soon as possible sounds like the right thing to do.

• Like 1

I think the only drawback from what I’ve read is not being able to choose seats until closer to flight date or at time of final payment.

You can, of course, opt to pay sooner so that you get ticketed and are able to choose seats. You don’t have to wait to final payment to pay.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

I think the only drawback from what I’ve read is not being able to choose seats until closer to flight date or at time of final payment.   

That all depends on what airline your booked on. For example, my flights in January are on United, and using the record locator for the flights, I was able to pick my seats via the United Site. Originally the outbound was on American Airlines and while I could not pick the seats online, the Celebrity agent was able to assign seats via her interface. 

39 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

If you do see better prices or itineraries, are those changes you can complete yourself online or is a call required? I’m coming up on my 330 day window next month. I’ve always heard the best time to book international flights is about 6 months out but based on multiple recommendations on this thread and the ability to make changes, booking as soon as possible sounds like the right thing to do.

Unfortunate for Celebrity you have to call and get an agent to make any changes for you. Other lines (Princess/HAL) websites have the capability to do it all yourself online. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, drowelf said:

For example, my flights in January are on United, and using the record locator for the flights, I was able to pick my seats via the United Site.

Are you saying United let’s you select seats before you are ticketed, in other words before final payment? I’ve never had an issue selecting seats through American using the record locator but not until ticketed.

54 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Are you saying United let’s you select seats before you are ticketed, in other words before final payment? I’ve never had an issue selecting seats through American using the record locator but not until ticketed.

Yes, United let's you pick seats before ticketing.  I did that just the other day using United's website.  You just need United's record locator.

With American, I had the Celebrity agent select my seats before ticketing, which I was able to confirm when viewing my itinerary on AA's website or AA's phone app.

With British Airways, they won't let you pick seats even if you book direct with them, unless you pay extra or are a high level elite with them.

Edited by CalTexCruiser
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

3 benefits I see:

1) don't need to pay until final payment,

2a) If you cancel voluntarily after final payment, $ 200 penalty pp and you get your money back,

2b) More importantly, if the cruise line cancels you get all your money back--that may or may not be important for May 2022 but certainly was a big consideration for my Sep Athens cruise this year, and

3) was 35% cheaper for business class than rates from airlines

CONs:

A) these days it seems to take a long time to get an agent on the phone, and

B) the audio connection always seems to be very poor

I travel o planes quite a bit, and the three main airlines I use (Alaska, Delta and American) they guarantee the pricing so if you find a lower price they will give it to you for that price. Never had a concern on this, just call the CS and they will reissue and new ticket at the lower price. I don't remember if United does this also? Now here is the kicker, if you go through a third party and they over sell the flight, you could be bumped. You did not go through the airline. Just a thought. 

• Thanks 1

I had the same experience with getting seats selected before they ticketed.   United was not a problem, American wouldn't let me, however the Celebrity Air agent was able to.

The other thing with United was I had booked Premium Economy to Europe but the domestic connection was economy.  United would allow me to select Economy seats but once ticketed allowed me to select Economy Plus without additional charge.  Long haul flight was no problem to select PE seats from the start.

• Thanks 1

I've not seen it mentioned as a pro in this thread, which is good, but they used to try very hard to give you the impression that booking them guaranteed that you'd get to the ship somehow even if the flight was delayed or cancelled. But the words they used were ambiguous, such as "we will be there for you." Despite what many thought, there was never any guarantee to do anything other than make alternate flight arrangements. In fact, with current protocols, you can't join a cruise in progress anyway.

There is value in booking at least your outbound flight with them, as others have noted, since they are in a better position to refund what you paid if the cruise is cancelled, etc. Keeping your flight to the cruise and the cruise departure time owned by the same entity is useful, but only if the price differential is reasonable.

It is wise to check their fares and options with what you can do on your own. I once was able to book a transatlantic non-stop through the cruise line for around $400, where the nearest I could find on my own was closer to $1000. But the opposite can be true. I've seen flights for double or triple the price that I found on my own.

Edited by publicpersona
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, dabear said:

I have to disagree with one comment. Sometimes if the airlines drop their fare, X may not drop them or not drop them as much due to their contract group rates. This did happen to us on our flights to Hong Kong with return from Singapore not long ago.

You can cancel with X and rebook where ever one can get the best deal.  If you book with AA/DA/UA, they won't directly tell you of a fare drop, you have to monitor it yourself or utilize fare tracking software.  In the past decade I have been on 500+ flights utilizing fare tracking software (I can't share but google it if interested), 99% of the time fares do not decrease and usually progressively increase as the flight departure gets nearer.

• Thanks 1

Thx everyone for the replies and advice.  Went online today & Celebrity has the dates open for itinerary.  I also checked on the individual airline sites as well.  I’m interested in a Delta flight that I don’t see on X.  Is X able to book a requested flight or only the airlines they are contracted through and showing online?