Is there a way to make dining reservations for the specialty restaurants before you board using the UDP?

2 minutes ago, poocher said:

You’re welcome, that’s why we’re here, to help 👍👍

And I appreciate that. The whole concept of holding a spot with a paid reservation and then subbing with the udp is genius. I/ll be using that across my entire cruise experience.

21 minutes ago, FPP777 said:

Not sure what I was thinking, but what I know now is that if I use this "technique" and I get what I want, thats all that will matter to me. I spend enough on the ship that all the canceled reservations that go back on my account as credit, will be used. I have a whole new perspective.

Except they are not cancelled.

You have literally given them money as a place holder for the time you want to dine there. Other than you, no one else here seems to take issue with that act. 

Now if you just book them to cancel them, with no intent of eating there, that is a selfish thing to do. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FPP777 said:

And I appreciate that. The whole concept of holding a spot with a paid reservation and then subbing with the udp is genius. I/ll be using that across my entire cruise experience.

That’s why this thread exists; someone asked if there was a way and there is as of now. It appears to help you out as well. CC members helping CC members. That’s what community is about. 

• Like 4

Just now, A&L_Ont said:

That’s why this thread exists; someone asked if there was a way and there is as of now. It appears to help you out as well. CC members helping CC members. That’s what community is about. 

I understand what the community is about. You can clearly see that I have been around for awhile. I just dont post as much as some others do. This will be my final comment on the discussion and in these great countries we live in, we dont have to always agree, but we can still get along.

1 hour ago, FPP777 said:

Not sure what I was thinking, but what I know now is that if I use this "technique" and I get what I want, thats all that will matter to me. I spend enough on the ship that all the canceled reservations that go back on my account as credit, will be used. I have a whole new perspective.

Yes as long as you can use the credit it's a win win for you and the cruise line.

Somewhat on topic here.  I have planned a B2B on Odyssey for Feb 2022.  I am thinking about booking the UDP for my 2nd week which is an 8 night 4 sea days.  I am in a JS the first week, but a balcony room the second.  Does anyone know if you can book your reservations the first week?  With the B2B, I will clearly be back on the ship sooner than almost everyone else so getting first pick shouldn't be too difficult.  But I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has done this before.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FPP777 said:

My point never was that it was wasted, but yes, I/ve learned that you have to take care of yourself using whatever tip you can learn here.

You just don’t get it….. they want that night whether they pay for it or use UDP. No one is being deprived of anything just because they change it to a UDP reservation.  You’re making this into a morality “everyone out for themselves” issue when it’s not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FPP777 said:

So you ignore her very logical question with a non responsive reference to being selfish. You still haven’t answered poocher’s question about what the issue is. 

• Like 1

We went to one of the specialty restaurants shortly after we boarded and had lunch with the UDP. While we were eating our group put together a list of which restaurant we wanted on which night and time and then we gave this list to the host at the place we were having lunch.  The host took care of making all the reservations we wanted while we were eating and everything showed up on the phone app shortly after.  The only reservation he was unable to make was Izumi and I went there directly.  We did not have a reservation assigned for the first night like the UDP info says you will get.  Later in the week we made some changes to our reservations by calling restaurants directly.  It was all very easy and this was for a party of 5 adults and 2 children in 3 separate rooms with separate bookings.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vjmatty said:

You just don’t get it….. they want that night whether they pay for it or use UDP. No one is being deprived of anything just because they change it to a UDP reservation.  You’re making this into a morality “everyone out for themselves” issue when it’s not. 

Your statement is not accurate. They do want the night, but they know they wont pay for it. The plan is to cancel the paid reservation when they get to the person who takes reservation. Once the paid reservation is canceled, they take the now freed time slot with UDP.

15 hours ago, vjmatty said:

So you ignore her very logical question with a non responsive reference to being selfish. You still haven’t answered poocher’s question about what the issue is. 

OK. This will really be the last response.

You and I go on the same cruise. We pay for the UDP. We both have a reasonable expectation that on the day the cruise departs, our ability to get the desired restaurant at the exact time we want is mostly equal. We both want Chops at 8PM on Tuesday because of a special occasion. So I book a reservation outside the UDP and pay for it. On cruise day, we both line up to make our reservations. You are standing in front of me. You want Chops at the same time and date because of your special occasion. They tell you its not available. Now its my turn. I tell them I want to cancel the reservation I paid for, they say ok. Now I say I would like Chops at 8PM tuesday and they say ok, that just became available. So I get what I want at no additional expense because they refund my money. You dont get it. So I booked the paid reservation until the false pretense of using that paid reservation when I really have no intention of using it. So I get what you should have got. So I called foul that it wasnt a fair thing to do. But I have learned, around here, that is all part of the game. I either get in the game or move on. Maybe that doesnt make sense or mean anything to anyone else, but it meant something to me. Does that answer the question of what my issue was? I truly hope so, because I want to move on. 

4 minutes ago, FPP777 said:

You and I go on the same cruise. We pay for the UDP. We both have a reasonable expectation that on the day the cruise departs, our ability to get the desired restaurant at the exact time we want is mostly equal. We both want Chops at 8PM on Tuesday because of a special occasion. So I book a reservation outside the UDP and pay for it. On cruise day, we both line up to make our reservations. You are standing in front of me. You want Chops at the same time and date because of your special occasion. They tell you its not available. Now its my turn. I tell them I want to cancel the reservation I paid for, they say ok. Now I say I would like Chops at 8PM tuesday and they say ok, that just became available. So I get what I want at no additional expense because they refund my money. You dont get it. So I booked the paid reservation until the false pretense of using that paid reservation when I really have no intention of using it. So I get what you should have got. So I called foul that it wasnt a fair thing to do. But I have learned, around here, that is all part of the game. I either get in the game or move on. Maybe that doesnt make sense or mean anything to anyone else, but it meant something to me. Does that answer the question of what my issue was? I truly hope so, because I want to move on. 

You are clearly having trouble doing that 

• Like 3

Ok I get what you’re saying.  I don’t agree with it being an issue still but I do see your point.  I guess I see this as one more advantage to doing research before your cruise, getting a leg up on those who don’t.  I am a Disnut and can’t tell you how many tricks I have learned through extensive research that put me ahead of the pack.  The information is there. You just have to look.  So if I gain an advantage because I did the work and you didn’t, I don’t feel badly about it.  YMMV

• Like 6

On 7/4/2021 at 5:53 PM, FPP777 said:

I read the whole thing. You book UDP, then you book a specific restaurant and time knowing that you will cancel that booking. This way, if the person standing in front of you in line on boarding day wants that restaurant and time, they cant have it because you booked it knowing you were going to cancel and covert. I know life is not fair, and most people dont care, but is that fair to the person in front of you.    

I disagree.  She kept the same time slot,  it was her money that was tied up in the paid reservation when she also had purchased the UDP. This is a situation that was created by RCCL by not allowing people to make those UDP reservations before the cruise.  Anyone could do this same exact thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:08 AM, FPP777 said:

I get what you are saying.  By using the "technique" they are getting slots that should be available to paying guests because those of us with the UDP are suppose to get the leftovers which is why we got the discount.  You sound like you are a very honest person and should be commended for that.  It is a rare trait in todays world.  I hope you keep it.  

• Like 2

On 7/8/2021 at 8:53 AM, A&L_Ont said:

What are your thoughts on real issues that matter like booze smuggling, smoking on balconies, and seat saving. 

Oh my god!  Smoking on balconies drive me crazy!  I don't care about any of that other stuff but the smoking on the balconies 😡 .  It makes my balcony that I paid for unusable.  It has happened on two cruises and I wish I could figure out who was smoking I would have turned them in quick like and in a hurry.  Rant over!!!  Sorry, off topic.

When we boarded we went to Izumi, and we were able to book everything for the cruise.  We are doing one lunch and one dinner in Izumi, 1 lunch and 2 dinners in Giovanni's, and three dinners in chops Chops, we will do one dinner at Johnny Rocket's and one in the MDR (Lobster Night).  Giovanni's was amazing last night.

Several folks have stated that they were able to use the UDP to eat lunch in  a specialty restaurant on embarkation day. However, on our last pre-COVID cruise (Harmony, Jan. 2020), we were told that we could not do so (and we tried at both Chops and Jamie’s).

When we got home from our cruise, I read the fine print on the UDP and it stated (as it still does): “And as an added perk, this unlimited package also applies to lunch at specialty restaurants on sea days.” 

On our cruise, embarkation day was not considered a sea day for UDP purposes. Just a heads up for those who have their heart set on enjoying a specialty lunch after they embark.

13 minutes ago, Beth 2001 said:

Several folks have stated that they were able to use the UDP to eat lunch in  a specialty restaurant on embarkation day. However, on our last pre-COVID cruise (Harmony, Jan. 2020), we were told that we could not do so (and we tried at both Chops and Jamie’s).

When we got home from our cruise, I read the fine print on the UDP and it stated (as it still does): “And as an added perk, this unlimited package also applies to lunch at specialty restaurants on sea days.” 

On our cruise, embarkation day was not considered a sea day for UDP purposes. Just a heads up for those who have their heart set on enjoying a specialty lunch after they embark.

I used my udp for lunch at Chops on the Harmony.  

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 7:32 AM, FPP777 said:

Your statement is not accurate. They do want the night, but they know they wont pay for it. The plan is to cancel the paid reservation when they get to the person who takes reservation. Once the paid reservation is canceled, they take the now freed time slot with UDP.

Honestly don't see an issue with that. 

Care to elaborate on why it's bad. Seems like genius move, but hardly selfish

On 7/9/2021 at 7:43 AM, FPP777 said:

I wouldn't cancel until I arrived at the reservation time😉

• Like 1