LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

No rush.  I don’t want to book ahead in case the bubble is reinstated. 

We received a email this afternoon from Viking regarding our excursions (Sky Aug. 21) and in it was this statement. 
“In consideration of your health and safety, only Viking-offered shore excursions will be allowed during your voyage. We will offer a range of shore excursions, including sightseeing, special interest and active tours, and each one will be hosted by an experienced guide. To minimize potential risk, no independent exploration is permitted at this time.”

9 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Were the sights particularly interesting, or was it mostly just the good guide?

There really is not all that much to see there.  We stopped at a place about 20 minutes away where there was a local ,fisherman who talked about how they fished and survived in the past. There were several turf building there that showed how the fisherman lived. Thought it was interesting to hear about how they survived in the last. The waterfall was lovely and our guide just scooped up some water from the waterfall to give a drink to everyone.

Probably the cleanest water most of us have had😉 . The guide was informative and funny so he made the trip enjoyable .

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, firefox33 said:

We received a email this afternoon from Viking regarding our excursions (Sky Aug. 21) and in it was this statement. 
“In consideration of your health and safety, only Viking-offered shore excursions will be allowed during your voyage. We will offer a range of shore excursions, including sightseeing, special interest and active tours, and each one will be hosted by an experienced guide. To minimize potential risk, no independent exploration is permitted at this time.”

I think they are keeping their options open and only bursting the bubble on a week by week basis. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We viewed this as one of our most memorable days!  Did you know that baby puffins are called pufflings?  I didn’t.  Not hatched yet.  All we saw today were eggs.  The next cruises will get to see the babies.  All the puffins are gone in August sometime, we were told.  

Omg - baby puffins…..can’t wait😀

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Can you walk into town?  Is there anything worth seeing?  We are booked on included tour but am thinking this might be the day to just enjoy ship

We are doing Vigur Island tour but would skip included tour also booked In favor of exploring town. Nice to get some exercise too. 

I explored booking my own Vigur Island trip, should we be allowed to do so.  There is a third-party (non-Viking arranged) boat trip to the island by West Tours, but it won't work for cruise passengers because of the timing (2 PM).  Add to that the uncertainty of whether we'll be free to arrange our own excursions, and things don't look good for seeing puffins in the Isafjordur area unless you're on the Viking excursion(s).  And from what I've read about the island, there aren't all that many people allowed/taken there every day, making things pretty difficult.  But just for people's information, the tour is offered (at least in August; didn't check other months) at 2 PM, takes 3 hours, leaves from Isafjordur port area, and costs the equivalent of U.S. $110.  (I assume that if a person ended up not being able to take the trip due to Covid restrictions, sea conditions affecting our arrival in Isafjordur, etc., there are no refunds.  But I didn't ask.) It is sold out August 12, which I believe is one day that Viking Jupiter visits, but has openings other days. The island is a half hour away by boat and the puffins leave the island "mid-August."   The eider ducks are there in May and June. 

As for the Bolungarvik village part of the included Viking excursion, I believe that is the Osvor  Museum.  That, and a few other places in/around Isafjordur, are mentioned in this document: https://www.isafjordur.is/static/files/UtgefidEfni/AtvinnuOgFerdamal/Baeklingar/port_of_isafjordur_2016.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Saw this on the site that cannot be named. Thought it might be worthwhile to know for those who have signed up for this excursion. 

A427AAA8-8185-4AD4-87CB-C5C6EF3EA669.jpeg

What was the approximate time spent to walk to the waterfall? I had knee surgery too, and I signed for this tour also on July 15th. Thanks for the info!

On the second day in Reykjavik, there was a tour named “ Iceland Through the lens“.

Has anyone been part of this tour? Was it worth it, and how difficult was it for someone with knee problems. Thanks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

does it feel like a normal cruise,

I was thinking last night how much it really does feel like a normal cruise.  We’ve sat by people and come to make friends after two days.  See lots of folks around the ship that we have interacted with on various occasions.  vslparis is right—everyone is happy and in a good mood!  Except for spitting in the tube!!!  UGH!!!

• Like 1

I just watched a YouTube posted by someone on the Orion. Their DV cabin had what looked like a stack of 2 or 3 drawers in the closet. I’m pretty sure there were no drawers in my DV cabin closet the last time I was on a Viking ship (January 2020). It looks like Viking may have retrofitted some needed drawers in their DV cabins. I hope that this is the case for all ships.

Can somebody who is currently sailing on Sky in a DV cabin confirm the closet drawers, please? Thank you.

1 hour ago, patchicago said:

I just watched a YouTube posted by someone on the Orion. Their DV cabin had what looked like a stack of 2 or 3 drawers in the closet. I’m pretty sure there were no drawers in my DV cabin closet the last time I was on a Viking ship (January 2020). It looks like Viking may have retrofitted some needed drawers in their DV cabins. I hope that this is the case for all ships.

Can somebody who is currently sailing on Sky in a DV cabin confirm the closet drawers, please? Thank you.

I think the closet drawers on on the newer ships.  I know the Jupiter has them.

• Like 1

Just a quick update. I am on the July 3 cruise and we arrived in Reykjavik this morning around 6:00 am. We flew Delta and the walk to passport control was long. It took about an hour to go through passport control and then onto baggage claim. Our next stop was Customs where we presented our vaccine records, bar codes from pre registration and passports again and we’re provided our test tubes for the swab. We had a driver pick us up who took us to the hotel. It took about 2 hours to leave the airport and then it’s a 45 minute drive to our hotel. We received our negative test results in 5 hours. Was 52 with slight drizzle when we landed and is now sunny, 61 and no wind. Heading out to explore.

Diana

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DJVKN said:

Just a quick update. I am on the July 3 cruise and we arrived in Reykjavik this morning around 6:00 am. We flew Delta and the walk to passport control was long. It took about an hour to go through passport control and then onto baggage claim. Our next stop was Customs where we presented our vaccine records, bar codes from pre registration and passports again and we’re provided our test tubes for the swab. We had a driver pick us up who took us to the hotel. It took about 2 hours to leave the airport and then it’s a 45 minute drive to our hotel. We received our negative test results in 5 hours. Was 52 with slight drizzle when we landed and is now sunny, 61 and no wind. Heading out to explore.

Diana

Is it safe to re-think packing the heavier weight Helly jacket or better safe than sorry in Iceland. I'm just surprised by the big change in temps from what I've been watching the past few weeks. All good news but hate to drag that jacket around if I can get by with a lightweight with a vest/layers! 

1 hour ago, bobchico said:

I think the closet drawers on on the newer ships.  I know the Jupiter 

2 hours ago, patchicago said:

I asked this question earlier and a nice person, I am sorry I don’t remember who, responded that there are not. I too had hoped they had been added. I actually have some hanging “shelves” that I will bring. 

12 minutes ago, Seaharvest said:

I am not sure why my comments didn’t come through last time so I will try again. I asked that question earlier and some nice person answered, sorry I don’t remember who, and said no. I too was hoping they had been retrofitted.  I have some hanging shelves I am bringing. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, patchicago said:

The DV closet drawers started on The Sun (now a Chinese joint venture) and continued with Orion, Jupiter and Venus.  I am sure it will be standard on future ships as their lack was a common complaint.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LMD said:

Has anyone who has landed in Reykjavik flown first, business or saga class?  Do you know if there is a "fast track" lane at passport control?  Thank you.

We didn’t see any when we flew in on June 14–but then we were the only plane and got through in just a few minutes. We were on Icelandair Saga Class. Didn’t see any signs for same either. When we boarded in Seattle, however, Saga Class was allowed to use the “premium” lane through security.

1 hour ago, VI_Lounger said:

Is it safe to re-think packing the heavier weight Helly jacket or better safe than sorry in Iceland. I'm just surprised by the big change in temps from what I've been watching the past few weeks. All good news but hate to drag that jacket around if I can get by with a lightweight with a vest/layers! 

Check your Helly's inside pocket.  It most likely has a large sturdy nylon attached "bag" where you can stuff, from outside in, the entire jacket, making it packable.  Two of my Helly's have that feature!  Will be making packing easier, and so I'll bring both.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I have some too. Bought them for a cruise on the Star in a DV and then were upgraded to a PV.  Ah, we should be so lucky.

On the Iceland cruise I’m traveling with a friend so asked for separate beds. We could use the extra room….tell me how you got upgraded from a DV to a PV!