LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

53 minutes ago, ladytrek said:

Her husband was Icelandic and they wanted to buy the island it was a bidding war starting at 2.5 million and an American almost bought it but wanted to put in a helipad.  So these two are pretty rich.

She said her Brother also owns it with them.  Glad they didn’t put in a helipad.

On the UK site, Viking have now pulled the Malta and Iceland cruises in July and they now start at the beginning of August.

They've only been pulled on the UK site. They are still showing on the US site so may sail with even less than the 14th July Venus Sailing (at 167 !!)

Posting for into for those with bookings on this sailing.

This is all done (I believe) to the FCO advisory not to use cruises for UK citizens in international waters. (Despite cruise ships probably being the safest place with all the regular testing and temperature taking.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, les37b said:

On the UK site, Viking have now pulled the Malta and Iceland cruises in July and they now start at the beginning of August.

They've only been pulled on the UK site. They are still showing on the US site so may sail with even less than the 14th July Venus Sailing (at 167 !!)

This is all done (I believe) to the FCO advisory not to use cruises for UK citizens in international waters. (Despite cruise ships probably being the safest place with all the regular testing and temperature taking.)

I hate to ask this (probably) dumb question, what is "FCO"?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, les37b said:

What does that mean for people already booked from UK? And I thought the ships were sailing with 700 to 800 people?

If you’re staying on Delta you should be okay if your arriving flight is on time. We flew in from ATL and out to Edmonton.  Gates were at opposite ends of the U shaped terminal. It is a long walk from one end of the terminal to the other. They did have a shuttle across. Icelandic air is in a different terminal. I usually check which gates the flights generally fly in and out of and try to get a seat near the front. I don’t know if they have to check anything about COVID before boarding the flight to Iceland. 

1 hour ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Anybody transit through Minneapolis on Delta for Iceland cruise?  We have an hour to change planes. While I recognize that weather or plane issues can cause delays, is an hour adequate under normal conditions?

Chicago for us 50 mins. I’m worried. 

Question for posters above regarding connection time in Minneapolis: Not sure if original poster is on Delta going to OR coming from Reykjavik to Minneapolis.  But if (s)he's "transiting" there while on the way home to U.S, do you just change planes or is there some kind of passport/customs check there, since you're coming into the U.S.?  In some cases like this, depending upon airport configuration, it can be more complicated than just changing planes (in some airports for example, you must get luggage and do customs, then place it back on a belt).  But I've never flown into Minneapolis, so I don't know how things are there for incoming international flights.  Maybe it's not complicated, but I just wanted to ask.  I'm flying back on Delta through Minn, but have 2 hours 45 minutes.  I hate that long connection time and was disappointed I didn't get to go home on the nonstop Icelandair flight.  However, I've consoled myself by remembering that some connections take a LONG time. 

So is an hour enough if Minn is your first stop in the U.S. (or Canada)?

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

According to MarineTraffic Viking Star is enroute from Gibraltar to Seydisfjordur Iceland, ETA July 21 at 15:00.

Viking Sky should be able to see Star in Seydisfjordur on Wednesday!

I just checked the Port Web site and indeed it is supposed to be there for 4 days... Interesting.  http://seydisfjordurport.is/cruise-ships/

Capture.PNG

Edited by miaf
Correction
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seaharvest said:

We are on board and all is well. They are letting folks leave the ship to wander on their own if they want. 

Are you on the Jupiter or Sky voyage starting today?  Sounds like all is OK on the Jupiter and they are  able to enjoy  Seydisfjordur.  Please keep us posted on the current sailings now that Clay is on his way home.

• Like 1

Just now, Wander58 said:

Are you on the Jupiter or Sky voyage starting today?  Sounds like all is OK on the Jupiter and they are  able to enjoy  Seydisfjordur.  Please keep us posted on the current sailings now that Clay is on his way home.

Just boarded the Sky today.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Question for posters above regarding connection time in Minneapolis: Not sure if original poster is on Delta going to OR coming from Reykjavik to Minneapolis.  But if (s)he's "transiting" there while on the way home to U.S, do you just change planes or is there some kind of passport/customs check there, since you're coming into the U.S.?  In some cases like this, depending upon airport configuration, it can be more complicated than just changing planes (in some airports for example, you must get luggage and do customs, then place it back on a belt).  But I've never flown into Minneapolis, so I don't know how things are there for incoming international flights.  Maybe it's not complicated, but I just wanted to ask.  I'm flying back on Delta through Minn, but have 2 hours 45 minutes.  I hate that long connection time and was disappointed I didn't get to go home on the nonstop Icelandair flight.  However, I've consoled myself by remembering that some connections take a LONG time. 

So is an hour enough if Minn is your first stop in the U.S. (or Canada)?

When flying to the US from an international destination, you have to go thru passport control and customs at your first point of entry . So if you are connecting in Minn for instance , you get off there, go thru passport control , pick up your luggage , go thru customs, and then give your luggage to the airline representatives that are after customs for your connecting flight .  Yes, be happy with that longer connection as sometimes it takes a while to do the whole connecting process for international travel.

I would not want only 1 hour to do that ,even with Global Entry ! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, vslparis said:

When flying to the US from an international destination, you have to go thru passport control and customs at your first point of entry . So if you are connecting in Minn for instance , you get off there, go thru passport control , pick up your luggage , go thru customs, and then give your luggage to the airline representatives that are after customs for your connecting flight .  Yes, be happy with that longer connection as sometimes it takes a while to do the whole connecting process for international travel.

I would not want only 1 hour to do that ,even with Global Entry ! 

We flew through Minneapolis on way home but we were the first plane and only plane in customs  since we arrived early. Customs was not even open yet so we waited on board for 10 minutes.  So with being the only plane and having global entry, we were out quickly and our departing gate was close as well. We had just under 2 hours layover and had plenty of time for breakfast.  One hour is tight but hopefully you are also an early arrival through customs to help. 

1 hour ago, VI_Lounger said:

We flew through Minneapolis on way home but we were the first plane and only plane in customs  since we arrived early. Customs was not even open yet so we waited on board for 10 minutes.  So with being the only plane and having global entry, we were out quickly and our departing gate was close as well. We had just under 2 hours layover and had plenty of time for breakfast.  One hour is tight but hopefully you are also an early arrival through customs to help. 

Flying thru Minneapolis on way to KEF with 4+ hrs between flights.  Unfortunately flying home from KEF via JFK so customs will likely be not as quick but we do have 2hr 15min between flights.  Hope we are as fortunate as you were.