Kmom NEEDS LOTS OF HELP PLEASE - Pre-Planning Pre-Review Preview Mardi Gras August 7, 2021 - Join me if you dare

KmomChicago

2 minutes ago, helene109 said:

Doesn’t Southwest allow 2 free bags?

I think so. When I looked back in fall/winter I personally couldn't find a good fare but yes, what I love about them is you don't have to do a bunch of add ons.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I think so. When I looked back in fall/winter I personally couldn't find a good fare but yes, what I love about them is you don't have to do a bunch of add ons.

It is $92 now coming home!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I am considering whether to do Rudi's. I kinda feel I should, simply because it's new to Carnival and I would like to provide useful info here back to peeps after the cruise, and also I don't know if we will ever sail another Excel Class ship, so no-time-like-the present. 

I've seen at least 3 peeps who cant wait to try big chicken. I guess you arent considering this as a vegetarian? I cant see the draw of chicken.

I hadnt considered the italian before, but I might look again. I dont eat pasta or cooked tomatoes. I'm just picky. No hot dogs lol. See if they have anything I'll eat.

For sure I plan on JiJis..maybe 2 or 3 times. 

Have you tried a lobster roll at the seafood shack? I might eat sans the roll. Looking at the menu, though I havent compared it to Rudy's. If a really big lobster I'd do it.

Following. I'm a eater more than a drinker, but picky. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yes, but Kmom was referring to their flight on Frontier that they got for a good rate, where bags don't fly free.

right, the Southwest for $92 each way is better than I found based on value for price, and my final rate with Frontier is after my chosen add-ons and associated charges, but Helene is also a week later and perhaps going into Shoulder season. Many schools start in mid-August and so rates start to bottom out. We're the last week of summer peak and our teen does in fact start school the Wednesday after the cruise. It was the absolute last date I could book with any kind of realistic hope of: A: actually having pandemic enough under control to sail, maybe, and B: start school on time. 

Seems like my voodoo or alchemy or crystal ball or karma or whatever was accurate, or as I asserted at the beginning, Carnival simply knows who I am and made arrangements to accommodate my personal desires, which I very much appreciate. And just so you all know, this is a family in-joke. My dad tells tall tales all the time about how he got whatever he wanted and stopped all arguments by asking, "Do you know who I am?"

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Have you tried a lobster roll at the seafood shack?

They are delish!  Maybe I haven't been exposed to the best lobster rolls in the world, but the ones on Carnival rank right up there IMHO.

You get two rolls, and they can be quite filling, as they are not stingy with the lobster, in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I guess you arent considering this as a vegetarian? I cant see the draw of chicken.

Kmom isn't a vegetarian, IIRC, but wants to limit meat to lighter servings.  That heavy fried chicken probably isn't what she is looking for.

But I am certainly looking forward to trying it!  I love trying different fried chicken, it is "comfort food" for me, in the same way as Guy's Burgers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've seen at least 3 peeps who cant wait to try big chicken. I guess you arent considering this as a vegetarian? I cant see the draw of chicken.

I hadnt considered the italian before, but I might look again. I dont eat pasta or cooked tomatoes. I'm just picky. No hot dogs lol. See if they have anything I'll eat.

Have you tried a lobster roll at the seafood shack? I might eat sans the roll. Looking at the menu, though I havent compared it to Rudy's. If a really big lobster I'd do it.

Following. I'm a eater more than a drinker, but picky. 

Howdy firefly and thanks for joining the chat. I am not a vegetarian. However for personal health, ethical, and environmental reasons I try to limit my meat / poultry / fish / flesh intake somewhat and when there are alternatives conveniently available.  But yeah I expect to at least try the chicken. As others have noted though why try something we have at home? We have KFC and Popeyes and local joints that do fried chicken just fine, not sure why I'd use one of my limited meals onboard for that or why Shaq's would be life altering. And no I haven't tried a lobster roll at Seafood Shack because I was boycotting extra fee meals last time I had the chance. We'll see. It does look insanely delicious. I was gonna have one on my shore excursion in St. Martins on my last cruise to Canada and that didn't work out either. So no I have never eaten one of these sandwiches.

I've been roughly 20 pounds overweight almost continuously, with rare short periods of weight loss, since puberty, which is like 40 years. 

Overeating makes me feel like garbage, and yet I am an addict and I keep doing it. However when traveling I particularly don't want to feel like garbage.

Meat is slower and heavier on my digestive system and too much of it makes me feel even worse.

I enjoy the taste of practically anything so I really don't miss meats when I skip them, especially when the veg is well prepared with interesting rich deep flavors.  I am not a picky eater, like, at all. In my Adventure of the Seas review I describe a subpar meal in the MDR and how I ate every bite of it anyway, because it's no worse than a mediocre meal at home and I hate to waste more than I like a fabulous culinary experience. The fish was overcooked, the veggies were undercooked, only the salad and bread were decent. Ate it all, didn't complain. Now my mom who was there with me, did complain. I don't like to do that either. I am conflict avoidant.

Family all likes every possible kind of meat and will want plenty of it on this trip, as usual. So being around it all the time I will have it whenever I want.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

... I'm just picky. No hot dogs lol. 

Have you tried a lobster roll at the seafood shack? 

I wish they had a Seadogs onboard - sometimes nothing better than a good hotdog 🌭 !

I've left two nights open for JiJis - couldn't book it online (but snagged 4 steakhouse nights and 1 Rudy's).

I tried the lobster roll on one ship... Now I can say I've tried it, that's about it!

Tom

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I wish they had a Seadogs onboard - sometimes nothing better than a good hotdog 🌭 !

I've left two nights open for JiJis - couldn't book it online (but snagged 4 steakhouse nights and 1 Rudy's).

I tried the lobster roll on one ship... Now I can say I've tried it, that's about it!

Tom

To this point Tom, I am wondering if all the specialty venues will even be operating on these first cruises? I am not getting my hopes up and I am trying to decide if we should go ahead and book steakhouse for that first night.

Also, we loved the Boardwalk Dog House on Oasis of the Seas. Like Mardi Gras it had a plethora of included walk up dining options and it was fabulous.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

Just now, KmomChicago said:

To this point Tom, I am wondering if all the specialty venues will even be operating on these first cruises? I am not getting my hopes up and I am trying to decide if we should go ahead and book steakhouse for that first night.

Yes, you should book it. As long as they have the staff and are trained up on the menu, I would think they will strive to have all pay dining venues fully open!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

right, the Southwest for $92 each way is better than I found based on value for price, and my final rate with Frontier is after my chosen add-ons and associated charges, but Helene is also a week later and perhaps going into Shoulder season. Many schools start in mid-August and so rates start to bottom out. We're the last week of summer peak and our teen does in fact start school the Wednesday after the cruise. It was the absolute last date I could book with any kind of realistic hope of: A: actually having pandemic enough under control to sail, maybe, and B: start school on time. 

Seems like my voodoo or alchemy or crystal ball or karma or whatever was accurate, or as I asserted at the beginning, Carnival simply knows who I am and made arrangements to accommodate my personal desires, which I very much appreciate. And just so you all know, this is a family in-joke. My dad tells tall tales all the time about how he got whatever he wanted and stopped all arguments by asking, "Do you know who I am?"

I understand especially about school as we are fortunate my son’s college starts later usually after Labor Day!

looking forward to your review! I screenshot all the menus! Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

The only thing I've read is john said chefs table isnt available for july and august.

But you didnt mention wanting to book. Mardi gras has another oriental I have to google the name, I cant spell it. Copy and paste ..bonsai Teppanyak. $32

I love anything oriental. Ginger, yum. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I love anything oriental. Ginger, yum

When it comes to food, the term Asian is the correct term. There's no such thing as Oriental food.

Edited by kwokpot

10 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

When it comes to food, the term Asian is the correct term. There's no such thing as Oriental food.

Actually google says oriental is things, like food. Asian is people. Food is not people. As in my oriental rugs are beautiful, the asian people are wonderful. Correct per google. 

Google disagrees with you, but whatever. I find grammar police offensive. Knock yourself out. This isnt the place to ruin someone's great thread. Warning 1, next time ignore list. Enjoy the thread. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Of course there is, they pretty much mean the same referring to an area of the world.

• Thanks 1

Oh my, a fellow blatherer. You may become my bestest friend. We too have been bitten by the Mardi Gras bug, so badly that we have committed two weeks of our precious vacation time (and perhaps some of our dear son's inheritance) for a back-to-back sailing in an extended balcony cabin in April 2022.

We have never been on a ship this new before and are hoping it will still have some of the "new ship" smell when we cruise. I wonder if "new ship" smell is anything like "new car" smell and if you can buy it as an air fresher spray so we can take some with us and spray it in our cabin if too much of the newness has worn off?  

This will be our first vacation in 22 years without our DS, as he is now out of college and must learn that the world is a cold, cruel place where parents will not continue to pay for unlimited vacations. Instead, he will have to forge his own way, choose his own paths, and earn his own vacation money. Oh, the tragedy!

I will await with baited breath your bountiful review and anticipate the copious recommendations and reflections you will bring from your voyage aboard this maiden vessel!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Oh my, a fellow blatherer. You may become my bestest friend. 

We have never been on a ship this new before and are hoping it will still have some of the "new ship" smell when we cruise. I wonder if "new ship" smell is anything like "new car" smell and if you can buy it as an air fresher spray so we can take some with us and spray it in our cabin if too much of the newness has worn off?  

This will be our first vacation in 22 years without our DS, as he is now out of college and must learn that the world is a cold, cruel place where parents will not continue to pay for unlimited vacations. Instead, he will have to forge his own way, choose his own paths, and earn his own vacation money. Oh, the tragedy!

I will await with baited breath your bountiful review and anticipate the copious recommendations and reflections you will bring from your voyage aboard this maiden vessel!  

Awesome SRQ! I look forward to our bestest friendship. Please blather along at any time. I too am looking forward to this 2nd voyage ever thing. I really couldn't have known when we booked it would work out this way.  I have been on sorta new ships before. The newest would have been Disney Magic, which was about three months old when I first sailed in 1998. It smelled great, but Disney is always good about things looking and smelling new and clean. 

I know it seems impossible to believe but when first launched the Mouse People had a very difficult time getting their one brand-new gorgeous Cruise Line vessel filled up. I worked for a telemarketing department at WDW that did a project to help get the word out, hence my fam (familiarization) cruise. I think the problem was, in true WDW fashion, they wanted a LOT more $$ than their immediate competitor, Premier, a/k/a Big Red Boat, was charging for a similar, albeit significantly more lowbrow, product. But I digress, as I do.

Celebrity Millennium was about 15 months old when I sailed. It felt pretty darn near brand new to me. Everything else has been a lot older. Oasis of the Seas was ten years old and honestly it was pretty close to pristine regardless. Some of the furniture had a bit of character but the actual floors, walls, ceilings, lights, decks, etc. looked great and no smells of note one way or another. Digressing again.  

Yeah it will be a brand new ship and We. Are. Stoked.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I have some more logistics to work out. I found a posting about some specialty restaurants being no-fee but they are not available to pre-book. Neither is the Steak house or Rudy’s anymore.

So, you prioritize it and make your reservations at the various locations as soon as you board

• Thanks 1

If I may Kmom, I would like to make a suggestion regarding something other than food. It is obvious that your cruise will be a gastronomical success for all and indeed should you promulgate those gastronome experiences to the CC crowd, may very well influence the future of dining/eating on the Mardi Gras.

I love comedy clubs and in the past have enjoyed some very funny comedians on Carnival ships. The Punchliner on deck 6 will tickle the funny bone, I am sure. If that tickles your fancy then perhaps you might inquire as to the possibility of making reservations for a night prior to boarding. They are small venues and tend to fill-up fast. Might even be able to bring a turkey leg to munch on washed down with a lip-smackin' Root Beer. 

I'm gettin' the feelin' and still have six months to go.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

If I may Kmom, I would like to make a suggestion regarding something other than food. It is obvious that your cruise will be a gastronomical success for all and indeed should you promulgate those gastronome experiences to the CC crowd, may very well influence the future of dining/eating on the Mardi Gras.

I love comedy clubs and in the past have enjoyed some very funny comedians on Carnival ships. The Punchliner on deck 6 will tickle the funny bone, I am sure. If that tickles your fancy then perhaps you might inquire as to the possibility of making reservations for a night prior to boarding. They are small venues and tend to fill-up fast. Might even be able to bring a turkey leg to munch on washed down with a lip-smackin' Root Beer. 

I'm gettin' the feelin' and still have six months to go.   

We too have enjoyed Punchliner very muchly. On Oasis we did this and yes I will check whether this will be in order for MG.