Canceled flights...what are you planning for any in 2021?

My cruise is a while out still. However, the news from the airlines is that cancelations, delays, etc are not going to end any time soon. They did say they will be able to better manage it down the road by limiting flight options in the future, but it is going to be a while. With that in mind, what are everyone's plans if you encounter this at the airport (even flying in a day before)?

I try to plan my contingencies ahead of time. We already know that if our flights get canceled on Friday night that we are just getting back in the car at the airport and driving down overnight. The hope would be get to Jacksonville/St Augustine area to sleep for 4-5 hours and then make the rest of the trek down to PC around 5-6AM.

I have a Sept 26 cruise out of NOLA. We're planning to fly in on Friday for a Sunday departure. We can't drive from Utah to Louisiana as a back up, that's way too far. We have trip insurance just in case, but hopefully we won't need it! 

Thanks George C. My pre-planning is to avoid issues of missing the cruise. The recent delays and cancelations are for days, not hours. I can manage hours, but in many cases complete cancelations or delays of Friday flights taking off on Tuesday. That won't work for a cruise. The delays and cancelations they are having now are vacation killers.

43 minutes ago, EMOSEA said:

... that's way too far. We have trip insurance just in case, but hopefully we won't need it! 

I know that feeling. Trip insurance is only good for recovering the money. It doesn't cover the vacation itself. What I mean is if these flight issues continue and you miss your cruise, your vacation is gone. You will have tons of paperwork and time involved to get compensated. That is what I am trying to prevent.

1 minute ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I know that feeling. Trip insurance is only good for recovering the money. It doesn't cover the vacation itself. What I mean is if these flight issues continue and you miss your cruise, your vacation is gone. You will have tons of paperwork and time involved to get compensated. That is what I am trying to prevent.

I would definitely be devastated losing my vacation. Even if we could get closer to NOLA and rent a car to drive the rest of the way I'd be fine with that as a back up plan. It'd take us 27 hours of non stop driving from where we are if we couldn't get on a flight. 

I think American Airlines was surprised by the suddenness of the return to air travel -- but I cannot help thinking that three or four months would be more than sufficient time for them to recall (and requalify, as necessary) sufficient crews to return to normal operations.

If it was just AA, but it is SWA as well. I think others are feeling the heat too. They can correct issues in the future by reducing routes, eliminating some routes, and maximizing people on planes. Analysts that have discussed with the airlines and the issues they face are stating the same thing. They retired too many planes at the start of the pandemic, ramping up of all crew is slower because people are not available or went to other industries, and it is going to cost them much more to get them back. 

I truly hope it is over soon. For us, we will have been waiting 28 months to take our first cruise after all the cancelations. I am prepared in case in continues into November (specifically Thanksgiving). Having that contingency in place is extremely important to me. I am already prepared mentally to drive if it comes down to it. I would have driven to begin with if I didn't have nearly $2,000 in flight credits that had to be used by the end of the year.

13 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

...I try to plan my contingencies ahead of time. We already know that if our flights get canceled on Friday night that we are just getting back in the car at the airport and driving down overnight. The hope would be get to Jacksonville/St Augustine area to sleep for 4-5 hours and then make the rest of the trek down to PC around 5-6AM.

FWIW, you’re only mentioning the issue of an embarkation port that many folks can/do “drive to.”  And your contingency plan for a flight problem is to just do what they do.

Even then, the concern I have with your Plan B is that it still has you arriving at the port on “day-of-departure.” 

You’re assuming no car issues like a breakdown, traffic snarl, etc. Of course, that’s not a problem....  until it’s a problem. (See pic for the day our nearby bridge had falling concrete and was closed for four hours- Yes, the day we were flying out to a cruise on a “red eye”!)

In any case (and in part because we tend to do cruises of 3-6 weeks duration), when it comes to flying to embarkation, we are extra-cautious, particularly with intercontinental flights having a layover enroute.

In general, our Plan A is to:

1. always use SFO (large hub airport for United with multiple Star Alliance partners in case we need tix reassigned) vs other area airports.

2. Use trusted/reserved car services (each w/multiple drivers) for trip to SFO and ground transport in embarkation port.

3. For any pre-4:00PM flight, stay at an SFO area hotel the eve before flight (fortunately Burlingame has terrific restaurants and free shuttle).

4. Arrive @ SFO at least 3 hours pre-flight. (having often rechecked flight times after initial booking).

5. Fly non-stop bizclass whenever possible. (Though pricey, the added baggage weight allowance, club access [with dedicated customer service] comfort and better food make a significant difference - particularly on intercontinental flights].
6. If layover cannot be avoided, choose routes preferably through other Star Alliance hub airports with at least 2-3 hours layover (for all the obvious reasons).

7. NEVER EVER fly in to the embarkation port on day-of-departure. At a minimum, arrive at least 2 nights pre-cruise (possibly more if a new/favorite city).

8. Have all “emergency #s” (including airline customer service, our TA’s cell #, insurance company, hotels and embarkation port agent, et al. in cell phone address book.

9. Stay vigilant for any unanticipated transport change by enabling text/email alerts.

10. Have identified, where possible, all emergency medical facilities for our itinerary that are in-network for GeoBlue (which coordinates with our regular Medicare supplements).

I guess you could call them the “10 commandments for Pre-Cruise.” Post-cruise timing is not quite as critical because joining the ship is eliminated. But most of the rules still apply to avoid unnecessary issues.

Overkill? Not really when you’re talking about a month long trip and have too often experienced sitting at a cruise ship dinner with folks needing to wear the same clothes because of lost luggage.

16F81FAB-BDC6-4867-9271-1211441707C7.png

• Like 1

You might want to think about a Plan C just in case your driving option doesn't pan out. As @Flatbush Flyer said, there could be accident(s) along your route, bridges could collapse, etc. Now, it's highly unlikely that your flight would be cancelled and you couldn't dive to the port in time, but if that did occur, what would be your Plan C? 

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think American Airlines was surprised by the suddenness of the return to air travel -- but I cannot help thinking that three or four months would be more than sufficient time for them to recall (and requalify, as necessary) sufficient crews to return to normal operations.

It's not just AA directly.  This story suggests some issues with weather and contractors as well.  The familiar story of enhanced unemployment benefits are also impacting availability of lower paid staff.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/06/21/airline-industry-looks-to-fill-jobs-as-labor-shortages-lead-to-canceled-flights/

Hundreds of American Airlines customers faced canceled flights over the weekend, which the airline attributed to both weather and labor shortages with some vendors.

“All previously furloughed team members were recalled in December 2020 in accordance with the extension of the Payroll Support Program. The biggest issue with crew shortage is weather,” the spokeswoman said. “In the first 15 days of June, we saw nine days of bad weather that have impacted at least one of our hubs. 

Director of Operations Bill Kilduff says Eulen is are looking for baggage workers, cabin cleaners and ticket-checkers, offering a $1,000 sign-on bonus and $200 referral incentive.

“Staffing has been a very, very big challenge here. It’s probably our largest challenge and we have been trying to hire in a whole bunch of different ways,” he said. “It could be the unemployment, it could be people scared of OVID, but it has been a challenge, not just for us, it’s our competitors, the airlines, and all the service providers within the airport.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

It's not just AA directly.  This story suggests some issues with weather and contractors as well.  The familiar story of enhanced unemployment benefits are also impacting availability of lower paid staff.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/06/21/airline-industry-looks-to-fill-jobs-as-labor-shortages-lead-to-canceled-flights/

Hundreds of American Airlines customers faced canceled flights over the weekend, which the airline attributed to both weather and labor shortages with some vendors.

“All previously furloughed team members were recalled in December 2020 in accordance with the extension of the Payroll Support Program. The biggest issue with crew shortage is weather,” the spokeswoman said. “In the first 15 days of June, we saw nine days of bad weather that have impacted at least one of our hubs. 

Director of Operations Bill Kilduff says Eulen is are looking for baggage workers, cabin cleaners and ticket-checkers, offering a $1,000 sign-on bonus and $200 referral incentive.

“Staffing has been a very, very big challenge here. It’s probably our largest challenge and we have been trying to hire in a whole bunch of different ways,” he said. “It could be the unemployment, it could be people scared of OVID, but it has been a challenge, not just for us, it’s our competitors, the airlines, and all the service providers within the airport.”

The lower paid staff are easier to replace and the very generous unemployment programs are fading.  A lot can be accomplished in three or four months.  Sure, there will be some hiccoughs along the way -- and in the best of times intelligent travelers always had at least a "Plan B".   

I think the likelier snag will be a surge of infections from the Delta variance which may lead to a new shutdown -- there still are well over a hundred million unvaccinated Luddites out there - poised to feed a new surge.

17 hours ago, iancal said:

Hope to get to Greece in Sept/Oct.

If we go we will not buy air until a week-two weeks prior to departure.  It is an independent land trip so we are very flexible.

I also am looking at travel to Europe (Southern or Med) for early to mid fall.  Like you I am going to wait until the last minute to see what the situation looks like before making a final decision.  

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The lower paid staff are easier to replace and the very generous unemployment programs are fading.  A lot can be accomplished in three or four months.  Sure, there will be some hiccoughs along the way -- and in the best of times intelligent travelers always had at least a "Plan B".   

I think the likelier snag will be a surge of infections from the Delta variance which may lead to a new shutdown -- there still are well over a hundred million unvaccinated Luddites out there - poised to feed a new surge.

The "Delta Variant" could indeed cause another wave as it has in the UK.  If so, this also could result in more benefits for the "unemployed" to avoid work for a while longer.   Logistics issues are likely to continue until the end of the year.  The end of year holidays may be exceptionally bad if coupled with weather.

Despite some making fun of me, I'm only booking close to home to cruise until I can fly with no face mask. When will they allow folks to fly without masks? Seen enough videos of 2 year olds being forced to wear one and fights over wearing them. No thanks. I'm cruising but not flying yet. 

Am I living in an alternate universe? I've flown 3 times in the last 3 months and never encountered a delay or cancellation. Airports have been packed. No epidemic of cancelled flights. No one I know has been experiencing this.

I think people are trying too hard to connect AAs mess of a problem with other industry shortages. It's almost laughable to think that airlines are going to tens of thousands in fares to get cancelled due to a few crew members.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

.....When will they allow folks to fly without masks?....

Let’s hope and pray that masks on planes will be required for a very very long time. And the same goes for cruising.

The Delta Variant is already becoming problematic and that’s on top of all the nimrods who are antivaxxers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Am I living in an alternate universe? I've flown 3 times in the last 3 months and never encountered a delay or cancellation. Airports have been packed. No epidemic of cancelled flights. No one I know has been experiencing this.

I think people are trying too hard to connect AAs mess of a problem with other industry shortages. It's almost laughable to think that airlines are going to tens of thousands in fares to get cancelled due to a few crew members.

Here is my anecdotal contribution for you:

One of my girlfriends was "bit" by the SWA delay/cancellation bug 2 weeks ago on the way to/from our annual weekend get-together.  .  She was trying to fly from SNA to DEN - flight was pushed back 6 hours, hour by hour.  She said the flight was supposed to be nonstop, but ended up doing a quickie stop somewhere (sounded like they combined flights at the late hour). Then, on the way home from DEN to ABQ, the flight was delayed and delayed and finally cancelled.  

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Here is my anecdotal contribution for you:

One of my girlfriends was "bit" by the SWA delay/cancellation bug 2 weeks ago on the way to/from our annual weekend get-together.  .  She was trying to fly from SNA to DEN - flight was pushed back 6 hours, hour by hour.  She said the flight was supposed to be nonstop, but ended up doing a quickie stop somewhere (sounded like they combined flights at the late hour). Then, on the way home from DEN to ABQ, the flight was delayed and delayed and finally cancelled.  

SWA = MOO(OOOO!)

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Let’s hope and pray that masks on planes will be required for a very very long time. And the same goes for cruising.

The Delta Variant is already becoming problematic and that’s on top of all the nimrods who are antivaxxers.

The news is trying hard to create a panic again. There has been no measurable difference in deaths. Just a panic that "a new variant was found".

I give the mask mandate until September

• Like 2

On 6/30/2021 at 10:03 AM, Joebucks said:

Yes, I don't have television any more and have been happy. But, I do read the news. SWA has cancelled 1,000s of flights. AA has canceled 1,000s. Some carriers have fared without issue. Some are getting better at reducing flights based on resources (available planes, flight crew, ground crew, ticket agents). I just read a story about a 15yo flying home alone. Family he was visiting lived 3-hours away but went on vacation after dropping off and getting to the terminal with the people. Flight was canceled and the earliest flight was going to be 2-days later. As you can guess, a 15yo cannot get a hotel room, some don't have a credit card or ATM card. Imagine being the parents and having to deal with this situation and the airlines just tossing their hands in the air.

16 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Hey I know that.  I don't fly SWA unless it is absolutely nessesary.  But, some of my friends are fond of saving $2 here and there...

Well, I don't know where the $2 savings is, but my savings on my latest flight between all carriers was $250pp. That doesn't even include the $35-$50 bag fees. It was almost $1,000 savings 1-way using SWA. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Hey I know that.  I don't fly SWA unless it is absolutely nessesary.  But, some of my friends are fond of saving $2 here and there...

Guess we can agree to disagree.  We are willing to drive 2 hours to BWI or PHL just so we can get access to Southwest who we have found to be a very reliable airline.  SW generally keeps to their schedules, has friendly staff, a terrific baggage policy, and a no penalty cancelation policy which has saved our bacon many times.  When I book flights with United or AA I am cognizant that they consider their own schedule to be "advisory" rather then fact.  I cannot recall ever booking an AA flight more then a few months in advance and not having at least 1 major schedule change.  Our latest fiasco was booking AA from BWI to Bardados and then a few weeks later AA canceled both our early morning flight from BWI to Miami and one of their two daily flights from MIA to Barbados thus making a simple one day trip a multi-day trip.  At that point even AA suggested we accept a full refund (which we did) and look elsewhere (we looked to Jetblue).    I should mention that many folks trying to get to Barbados now find themselves needing to change flights in MIA with only an hour between flights (very difficult to do in MIA).  And if you miss that connection you would have no alternative until the following day by which time your PCR test would have likely expired (more then 3 days old) meaning another 2--3 day delay while waiting the results of a new PCR test.

We are now in a world where the best airline option often means driving many hours to get to an airport that has a non-stop flight to your destination.   And flying-in the day of a cruise is absolute nutz!

Hank 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We are now in a world where the best airline option often means driving many hours to get to an airport that has a non-stop flight to your destination.   …

Which, of course, can also be subject to cancellation.

For the time being, we are doing most of our travel by car - as it is less subject to the present uncertainties.  We have done a couple of flight trips recently, but as we have options we see that picking the ones where we have the most control to make the most sense.