Live Edge Review - July 3-10, 2021

elf426

4 hours ago, cosmo1027 said:

Can anyone onboard tell me if there are any IPA beers available?  Thank you!!  We are sailing July 24th.

Hi cosmo, I know for a fact there is Goose Island IPA on magic carpet. Don’t drink it personally but they were uncasing some while I was up there earlier this week.

• Like 1

I have the app on my phone but unclear how to select the current sailing to find the daily planner etc that you mentioned ??? Only sailings that are available on my app are the three I’ve booked. 
Your help is appreciated. Thank you 

1 hour ago, lux4me said:

Had lunch in Raw on five.   Oysters and sushi were good.  Lobster roll was lousy.  Tiny pieces of flavorless lobster.  The roll was buttered on the inside and they did forgot to toast it.  So you had flavorless lobster salad on top of a very hard buttered roll.  
Also the meat onboard has been mostly good in the taste category, But has a very odd texture.  Almost spongy.  My partner found it to be off putting.  The meats are all EXTREMELY tender and we just found out why…we spoke to one of the F&B people and was told they are using a sous vide method.    This is basically boil in a bag at a low temperature, then finish on the grill or flat top.   Keeps meat very tender.   But gives it the texture of a sponge.  

IF done correctly, and seared afterwords, sous vide is hard to beat...they don't "boil" the meat...it is cooked to temp...ie about 130 for medium rare...if it is spongy, it is being cooked to too high of a temp, or possibly too long, I have gone 2-3 hours on a 2" thick ribeye...then seared....  more restaurants than you know use this method.  

I missed what Oteixeira had to say....probably said it better than me.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Sweet Dreams said:

I have the app on my phone but unclear how to select the current sailing to find the daily planner etc that you mentioned ??? Only sailings that are available on my app are the three I’ve booked. 
Your help is appreciated. Thank you 

LOL..... I have to admit that the Celebrity App is not intuitive. 

First Click on the Calendar Icon

image.png.85a4d1f54bb2650d366800247e6d16d0.png

Next at the very Bottom choose Get more information on ships we support the Ship and Sail date.  Current sailing is usually populated other are just place holders

image.png.e2345f1b10b69192a9e5dfdf79e4f881.png    image.png.38c5a040875978dd769f22f05d6fba6c.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The lobster served on board is usually warm water (spiny) lobster.  My lobster roll in Luminae on Edge was Spiny lobster and a puny portion.  Order two!  Not Atlantic cold water lobster (from NE or Canada).  A quick test.  If your lobster has pieces of claw meat it is an Atlantic lobster.  Warm water lobsters have very small or non-existent claws.  You will get primarily lobster tail in your lobster roll.  Even if the bun is open top NE style!  The only time I was served Atlantic lobster was in a specialty restaurant (Fine Cut on Edge) or on a NE/Canada cruise (on Summit).  Usually the menu specifies Maine or cold water lobster if they are serving it.  

Thanks for the tip. I’m definitely ordering two. I’m getting hungry just thinking about them!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, countess5 said:

CHEERS! 😜

9 hours ago, countess5 said:

“we are in our early 40s so glad to see some other “younger” people

sailing. Some of the pictures we have seen make it seem like the clientele is much older.”

Be careful with the “younger” people statement…..

What you are I was what I am you will become! 😂😂

I find being 65, “My People” tend to be a lot more fun with the life experiences they have had! 🤣

just saying

Cheers! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, peanut head said:

Hi Elf426!  Your style and wit is refreshing.  Quick question, would you know if the Spa Cafe only has juices and snacks or do they also serve lunch?

They also serve light lunch!

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yeah not a fan of the website either--overall it is quite good. 

But the Cruise Planner with the 1/2 of a page with your cruise details is absurd. 

I can only scroll within 1/2 of the webpage?

Tried to watch a video of Paradise Island & literally could only see about 1/3 of the screen!

Next at the very Bottom choose Get more information on ships we support the Ship and Sail date.  Current sailing is usually populated other are just place holders

image.png.e2345f1b10b69192a9e5dfdf79e4f881.png    image.png.38c5a040875978dd769f22f05d6fba6c.png

Very little specific details show up for our July 24 cruise.

2 of the 4 MDRs have a menu posted--and only for 1 day.

No specific activities showing up as of yet.

Thank you so much, it works!!!!!

Sea days are great except when you know they’re taking you home and then WHAM! you get back from lattes and the dreaded disembarkation sheet is staring back at you from your bed. Gottamn it’s before noon and you totally killed my vibe Celebrity. We’re walkoff people – always have been, always will be - but still, that hideous luggage tag taunting that your vacation is over is full-on McKayla Maroney Olympics podium face.

But let’s back up a few hours. THE BOLTS WON THE CUP! Apologies to all of our Canadian viewers but wooooo! I like that Sport24 carried the NHL Network broadcast and they stayed on air through the entire on-ice celebration. NBC is usually so quick to cut at the end that you get like three guys and the captains interview and it’s over.

However, due to my excitement I overslept my 8:00 Peloton appointment. I’ve read on other reports and FB posts about these bikes that it’s a frequent occurrence and impacts someone that might want to try the bike but can’t since it’s booked. My bad. I set a goal of four rides this week and will have to see if I can bat 0.750 after tomorrow morning.

We’ve basically given up on the buffet and grabbed coffee and pastry from Café al Baccio this morning. My husband said the apple turnover was good, it kind of looked like an empanada. The cheese Danish was just eh.

A few hours later we grabbed lunch at Mast Grill, which always seems to have a line. Now, here’s where I have some questions about the “safety” protocols onboard. There is a soft serve ice cream machine at Mast Grill. There is also one at the buffet, behind the hard-dip ice cream station. One is self-serve and one is manned by staff. Anyone care to chime in why? Look, I get the one is behind the counter, that’s not the point. It’s just like allowing everyone to handle the drink stations and condiments, but not the tongs. You’re talking out of both sides of your mouth. Oh well. None of us would be here if it bothered us that much. Just pointing out inconsistencies.

It’s the second formal night and is also lobster night in the MDRs. I noticed the earlier discussion on which lobster comes from where. Well mine came from the daycare center because it was teeeennnnyyyy tiny. Yeah yeah I can ask for more, but I had also ordered the mushroom risotto entrée as an app and they brought a full bowl out. Clearly I’m not lacking for food this week. And the thought of retraining my brain that it can’t have cake and booze every two hours next week is making me sad. I mean, I guess I could but I don’t know how my boss or work pants will feel about that.

I feel like there is so much of this ship that I haven’t seen, or only seen at daytime and/or nighttime. You definitely get comfortable quick here. I can’t imagine what a full ship feels like – at any point this week I’ve been able to get a seat in the solarium or the café and I’ve yet to feel crowded in the MDR (although they’re still seating people RIGHT next to each other – I assume for ease of the servers). We commented tonight at dinner that when the MDR gets full I bet it feels very cramped (Cosmopolitan for reference).

Like some other folks have mentioned – and thanks again for chiming in – there’s lots of info available on the Celebrity app, so if there’s something I don’t report on you can probably find it there.

Ok off to stretch for the Silent Disco 😊

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, elf426 said:

I like that Sport24 carried the NHL Network broadcast and they stayed on air through the entire on-ice celebration. NBC is usually so quick to cut at the end that you get like three guys and the captains interview and it’s over.

When the Kings  won the Stanley Cup in 2014, coach Daryl Sutter was asked how he felt about his team’s success. 
Sutter replied, “Fhkjchh kbfegw xvv FD juj jgydf.”

I realize my lame joke won’t make sense to most people, but, if you know, you know. 

• Haha 1

Elf

Just watched a full video on the Edge,

They show in Eden, nightly interactive shows. Not music performances but shows with entertainers interacting with each other. With the Covid situation did you see “shows” in Eden or was it just the music? 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, countess5 said:

Elf

Just watched a full video on the Edge,

They show in Eden, nightly interactive shows. Not music performances but shows with entertainers interacting with each other. With the Covid situation did you see “shows” in Eden or was it just the music? 

Cheers! 

The last 2 sailings they have not done the usual Eden shows, but instead have musicians in the space.

The word is "due to COVID" they are waiting.

But we all know that those Eden shows garnered A LOT of displeasure. Many did NOT like the interactive nature of the shows. I suspect they are revamping.

Glad to hear your having a good cruise.  Question, have you by chance seen a crew member by the name of Taz (from Turkey).  Before the virus hit, he was on Edge & he's a bar server. Thanks.  Hoping he's still working with Celebrity.