Live Edge Review - July 3-10, 2021

elf426

10 hours ago, lux4me said:

We are Sick and bored with the buffet

Yeah, we stick to buffet mostly for breakfast.

We aren't big buffet fans but it's tough to screw up breakfast.

Usually Mast Grill for lunch.

42 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I love them too, are they a New England style roll with cold water lobster?

The lobster served on board is usually warm water (spiny) lobster.  My lobster roll in Luminae on Edge was Spiny lobster and a puny portion.  Order two!  Not Atlantic cold water lobster (from NE or Canada).  A quick test.  If your lobster has pieces of claw meat it is an Atlantic lobster.  Warm water lobsters have very small or non-existent claws.  You will get primarily lobster tail in your lobster roll.  Even if the bun is open top NE style!  The only time I was served Atlantic lobster was in a specialty restaurant (Fine Cut on Edge) or on a NE/Canada cruise (on Summit).  Usually the menu specifies Maine or cold water lobster if they are serving it.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The lobster served on board is usually warm water (spiny) lobster.  My lobster roll in Luminae on Edge was Spiny lobster and a puny portion.  Order two!  Not Atlantic cold water lobster (from NE or Canada).  A quick test.  If your lobster has pieces of claw meat it is an Atlantic lobster.  Warm water lobsters have very small or non-existent claws.  You will get primarily lobster tail in your lobster roll.  Even if the bun is open top NE style!  The only time I was served Atlantic lobster was in a specialty restaurant (Fine Cut on Edge) or on a NE/Canada cruise (on Summit).  Usually the menu specifies Maine or cold water lobster if they are serving it.  

This is true.  A second entree at Fine Cut is $20 so to many it may be worth to create a surf and with a maine lobster tail

Also, raw on 5 has seafood towers that include cold water tails.  They also sell lobster rolls but I'd imagine they're spiny 

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

7 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

This is true.  A second entree at Fine Cut is $20 so to many it may be worth to create a surf and with a maine lobster tail

Also, raw on 5 has seafood towers that include cold water tails.  They also sell lobster rolls but I'd imagine they're spiny 

Yes I ordered the Surf & Turf in Fine Cut and it came with Maine lobster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, tori0417 said:

Hi! We are sailing on 7/24 and are looking forward to doing a lot of specialty dining since we will be without the kids for the first time. Can someone tell me if you are able to get reservations once on board? We just booked this past weekend and I went online to try and book dining but it says nothing is available. Im really hoping its just an online thing and we can get reservations a few times (including magic carpet) 

13 hours ago, cricketts said:

I'm thinking their website is having trouble right now.  We travel on 8-28 and I'm not able to book the main dining rooms and I'm getting an error message.

Sure enough, this morning (Thursday the 8th), the website is working just fine.  I've been able to make dining reservations for our 8-28 sailing.

3 minutes ago, cricketts said:

Sure enough, this morning (Thursday the 8th), the website is working just fine.  I've been able to make dining reservations for our 8-28 sailing.

Will be joining you on the 8-28 sailing!  Looking forward to having the fun these folks are! 

Cheers! 

On 7/6/2021 at 12:12 PM, KKB said:

Didn't consider the cost--good point.

Our  experience showed feed could be tricky.

Fun port story--in Curacao New Years Day 2013 & Huskers were in bowl game. DH & DF found a bar & asked if they could get it on the TV. Bartender tosses them the remote & says if they can find it they can watch it. They found it! Somehow DH found us on  the beach (MILES long--he had NO idea where we were!) so we had a blast...watching the Huskers get clobbered...

On 7/6/2021 at 12:12 PM, KKB said:

Didn't consider the cost--good point.

Our  experience showed feed could be tricky.

Fun port story--in Curacao New Years Day 2013 & Huskers were in bowl game. DH & DF found a bar & asked if they could get it on the TV. Bartender tosses them the remote & says if they can find it they can watch it. They found it! Somehow DH found us on  the beach (MILES long--he had NO idea where we were!) so we had a blast...watching the Huskers get clobbered...

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Could not even taste the lobster in lobster roll, oysters were good 

19 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Questions for those on the current Edge cruise.

1. How are the evening shows in the main theater and do they still have the game show which is usually held between shows? We have always enjoyed going to both of those every night.

2.  We also like to play trivia. Do they have multiple trivia events on sea days?

3. Also, do they have a Celebrity Central showroom, like on the S class ships, or something similar and, if so, what type of entertainment are they offering in that space on sea days?

We have a B2B2B scheduled for August in a SS and were wondering what fun things they are offering on sea days to keep us entertained while we're not on our balcony watching the waves go by or enjoying dining in the Luminae?

Just wanted to advise.    If you have the Celebrity App on you phone you can select the current sailing and the Daily Planner is posted so you can look up what's happening.   You can also view the menus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Elf426

You noted "I’ll try to get the dailies up when we’re back on land with legit high speed internet that can handle larger files. Someone remind me if I don’t."

Will the postings include menus for the 4 MDRs and specialty restaurants?  Pleas include these.

Your notes have been wonderful!

Thank very much

Hi Elf. We are on this cruise too. I love your writing style and your reference to the crew still using their “training wheels”. They are trying so hard but there is definitely a “lost in translation” aspect to this cruise. 
There is a lot of confusion about Select Dining. To Rez or Not to Rez - that is the question. Ask 5 people and you will get 5 different answers.  One night we gave up and ate in the buffet.  Also - forget ordering room service for breakfast unless you want deletions, additions, or just plain no service. 
Ok - those are our main issues. Enough of that. 
We are grateful and happy to be cruising again. This ship is lovely and we ACTUALLY LIKE the infinite veranda!  Lunch in the Eden Cafe is peaceful and enjoyable. We are in the Solarium right now and loving it. Silent disco was a blast and a new show “Undercover at the Club” was high energy and well done. Someone asked about trivia - yes, lots of opportunities. 
We were not given an explanation for the blue wrist bands so after boarding we removed them only to learn they should be worn. I picked up the remnants from mine and tied them onto to my Fitbit. 
Regarding docking at Crown Bay, we were happy because the water taxi to Water Island is a 10 minute walk. RT is $15. Once there, one can rent a golf cart or catch the free jitney to Honeymoon Beach. 
We are meeting loads of happy and interesting people. The crew, as always, are sweet and eager to please. The martini bar is fabulous. 
People boarding in the weeks to come have a lot to look forward to. It is only going to get better. Cheers

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Andrewgary said:

Fellow Husker fan here. I feel your pain about them getting clobbered these past, oh, 20 years or so.

2015 DS headed to TCU for junior year of college. Huskers had just fired Pelini (let me just say, if you fire a guy who is consistently 9-4/10-4, you r gonna get what you are gonna get...). Beginning of the Mike Riley debacle. TCU had been really good the year before & continued their run. I remember DS saying--
"Who would have ever thought that TCU football would be better than NU??"

Yep, we were decent for about 15 years before that--but decent wasn't good enough for the fans who had amazing for so long. (most of 35 years is hard to let go of)

Had lunch in Raw on five.   Oysters and sushi were good.  Lobster roll was lousy.  Tiny pieces of flavorless lobster.  The roll was buttered on the inside and they did forgot to toast it.  So you had flavorless lobster salad on top of a very hard buttered roll.  
Also the meat onboard has been mostly good in the taste category, But has a very odd texture.  Almost spongy.  My partner found it to be off putting.  The meats are all EXTREMELY tender and we just found out why…we spoke to one of the F&B people and was told they are using a sous vide method.    This is basically boil in a bag at a low temperature, then finish on the grill or flat top.   Keeps meat very tender.   But gives it the texture of a sponge.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lux4me said:

Had lunch in Raw on five.   Oysters and sushi were good.  Lobster roll was lousy.  Tiny pieces of flavorless lobster.  The roll was buttered on the inside and they did forgot to toast it.  So you had flavorless lobster salad on top of a very hard buttered roll.  
Also the meat onboard has been mostly good in the taste category, But has a very odd texture.  Almost spongy.  My partner found it to be off putting.  The meats are all EXTREMELY tender and we just found out why…we spoke to one of the F&B people and was told they are using a sous vide method.    This is basically boil in a bag at a low temperature, then finish on the grill or flat top.   Keeps meat very tender.   But gives it the texture of a sponge.  

Some people hate sous vide, others love it.  To be clear, nothing is every boiled, the bags are vac sealed so there is no air in there either.  It is a great way to cook, I do it at home to get my meat just perfect.  All that being said, if you are one of the people who feel it makes it mushy/sponge like, it's just not going to be for you.  That could also be from being in the bath too long, most meat only needs a few hours at most, but really cheap cuts do amazing with a good 24 hour bath and then finished with dry heat for just long enough to sear them off.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just wanted to advise.    If you have the Celebrity App on you phone you can select the current sailing and the Daily Planner is posted so you can look up what's happening.   You can also view the menus

Thanks for sharing this info!  I didn't realize all that info was available in the app!