EDGE JULY 10, 2021 (semi) LIVE

graphicguy

21 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

No upper glass.  While it's basically normal, they are not as deep which is why the chairs are sideways/two will face each other and due to the porthole, it'll feel more enclosed compared to a typical balcony.  These are generally cheaper than IVs.  Pros and Cons to them but at least you can both keep the AC on the room on and blackout the room while enjoying the balcony.  Here's a sub-90 second YT video: 

We got a DEAL on one of these for March 2021 Apex...$1K each w/ perks & $400 OBC. 

I know we will prefer this to an IV since the several issues caused by IV do not exist w/ this room.

Of course had to lift &shift to March 2022--prices are DOUBLE that.

(It's funny--the balcony is only 2 sq. ft. smaller than an IV but seems to make a big difference.)

Edited by KKB
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, KKB said:

We got a DEAL on one of these for March 2021 Apex...$1K each w/ perks & $400 OBC. 

I know we will prefer this to an IV since the several issues caused by IV do not exist w/ this room.

Of course had to lift &shift to March 2022--prices are DOUBLE that.

(It's funny--the balcony is only 2 sq. ft. smaller than an IV but seems to make a big difference.)

I'm going be on an IV cabin, thought it's really cool. I'm not up to speed on this cabin type's review, can you advise what are some of the negatives? Thanks!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, seapad said:

I'm going be on an IV cabin, thought it's really cool. I'm not up to speed on this cabin type's review, can you advise what are some of the negatives? Thanks!

We haven't been in one yet, but from the above videos they look like a normal size veranda cabin; although they are located either in the front of the ship or the back of the ship. If you pull up a deck plan of either the Edge or Apex, you'll see what I mean. We weren't to excited about booking one of them way up in the front on deck 8, but we liked the ones on deck 9 in the aft better as they were higher up than the ones on deck 7 from looking at pictures of the Apex (or Edge). Look for the big port holes. When we booked ours on the Apex the other day, the price was the same as an Infinite veranda. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

7 minutes ago, seapad said:

How about some positives.  The room is quite large and the bathroom is very nice.  When on the “veranda” it is completely private, no listening to people on their cell phones and no peeping Toms.  When the window is down it is like sitting out on a balcony and you do get sea breezes and can here the seas below.  The drawback is of course the A/C does cut out when the window is opened but how long does it take to cool a 200 sq/ft room?  We sailed in an IV twice and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.  Please keep in mind you may have negative feedback but some, if not most, haven’t sailed in one of these cabins yet.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, seapad said:

From day one they're been very controversial.  Negatives:

Open the IV window (not the bi-fold doors) AC shuts off

Blackout curtains over the IV window, cannot enjoy with the IV down without filling the room with light (when lowering/raising they're also loud), which means if someone wakes up early and the other wants to sleep, bring them an eyemask

They're more enclosed compared to a traditional balcony

Capt can shut and lock them from the bridge due to bad weather

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Blackout curtains over the IV window, cannot enjoy with the IV down without filling the room with light (when lowering/raising they're also loud), which means if someone wakes up early and the other wants to sleep, bring them an eyemask

Have you sailed in one.

2 minutes ago, Oville said:

Have you sailed in one.

No thanks, my sailing is in 1.5 weeks, mainly due to heat and humidity I rebooked from an IV to porthole.  The heat wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't sailing to the Caribbean in the middle of summer.  Also due to be early and late risers that is a concern as the other refuses to wear an eye mask.  Otherwise, the noise, enclosed feeling and capt's ability to lock them wouldn't bother me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seapad said:

Same. And I’m fine with it. Apparently it’s not very balcony-ish for those of used to a traditional balcony (which I am). But I’m always up for a new adventure, and I’m trying to wait and form my own opinion when I get there. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Karen Lynn said:

Any idea how long Capt Kate is onboard ?

Would love to know the same. In the beginning of June she said ‘3 months onboard.’ Then around June 15 she also said ‘3 months on board.’ So either Celebrity extended her contract or she’s just giving a ball park date range. 

Im sailing the Edge September 4 and hoping to get the chance to sail with her. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I misread your post.  I thought you were referring to the shops in Costa Maya.

To me, Tiffany is always way overpriced, on the ship, in Chicago, in NYC, etc.  Ask a female and she’ll tell you their quality supports their prices.  I really don’t know.  I think ALL jewelry is overpriced regardless of where it’s sold.  There’s just no way to compare apples to apples with jewelry.  Jewelers have given me a magnifying loop to look at their wares.  I still fon’t know what I’m looking at, and I doubt 99% of us wouldn’t either.

i know what my GF likes.  I’ll spend the money to get it for her because I care for her and she deserves it.  That’s all I know!

Over the years I have found that buying jewelry in the islands is way more less expensive than the states. Ships may charge more but it is convenient. We have, over 20 years, bought from Dazzlers in St Thomas and everything we have bought was appraised way more than we paid. 

It is in my mind, is it worth the smile  on my DW face and her happiness to what I spend?  Hands down always and that is what you feel. We have been married 43 years and I don’t have to impress but want her to have what she deserves for putting up with me ! 😂

Buy On!

Cheers! 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, twinmom22197 said:

Someone posted that she is expected to be onboard until September 18.

Yes, she told me her sign off date is supposed to be September 18th, but that it could change.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I misread your post.  I thought you were referring to the shops in Costa Maya.

To me, Tiffany is always way overpriced, on the ship, in Chicago, in NYC, etc.  Ask a female and she’ll tell you their quality supports their prices.  I really don’t know.  I think ALL jewelry is overpriced regardless of where it’s sold.  There’s just no way to compare apples to apples with jewelry.  Jewelers have given me a magnifying loop to look at their wares.  I still fon’t know what I’m looking at, and I doubt 99% of us wouldn’t either.

i know what my GF likes.  I’ll spend the money to get it for her because I care for her and she deserves it.  That’s all I know!

Any $10 souvenier tee shirts?  Last time we were onboard...2 years ago...the gift shops on board were crazy outrageous.  Nobody in them unless desperate.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

No thanks, my sailing is in 1.5 weeks, mainly due to heat and humidity I rebooked from an IV to porthole.  The heat wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't sailing to the Caribbean in the middle of summer.  Also due to be early and late risers that is a concern as the other refuses to wear an eye mask.  Otherwise, the noise, enclosed feeling and capt's ability to lock them wouldn't bother me.

Enjoy your cave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, crimsonbird said:

Any $10 souvenier tee shirts?  Last time we were onboard...2 years ago...the gift shops on board were crazy outrageous.  Nobody in them unless desperate.  

Good news here, there is no constant hawking of cheap watches, costume jewelry, T-Shirts, Purses, key chains, etc.  No one is in the aisles trying to get you to buy alcohol or massages.  No one is trying to act like a jewelry expert and push you to certain pier side jewelry stores trying to entice you with “free” (near worthless) charms.

Aside from the jewelry store (where I did make a purchase for the GF), I don’t think I’ve done anything other than give a cursory look at the onboard stores.  I do know they have Cartier and Tiffany.  You will not see anyone hawking goods or services anywhere near those stores.

Window shopping, they carry watch brands I’m familiar with, like Tag, Hublot, Breitling, IWC, Cartier, etc.  You will not see anyone along the lines of Invicta.

Don’t misunderstand, nothing wrong with any other brands or having the “mad dash” $10 watch sales.  You just won’t find those on this sailing.

I like it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Ok, lets agree that there are pros and cons.  As one who has spent far more then 1000 nights sleeping in balcony cabins here is my big negative!  There are many mornings when I will wake up before DW and my normal practice is to quietly go out onto our balcony/verandah where I relax with my Kindle and the view while DW continues to sleep in the cabin.  And it might be the same in late afternoons when DW might want to take a nap and I will sit on the veranda with a glass of wine and a good book.  The balcony is almost like having a 2 room cabin.  With the IV none of this is possible.  If I were to get up early and open the window it would surely disturb DW (not to mention turn off the A/C.   I honestly think the IV cabins as a deluxe outside cabin (not a balcony cabin) with a window that opens.  This is much different then a balcony that can be sealed off from the cabin via a soundproof door.

Hank

• Like 6