NCL Haven vs Celebrity The Retreat - Pros and Cons

mertziek

We are NCL Platinum Plus Haven travelers and thinking of trying Celebrity.  Not seeing any itineraries right now that appeal to us with NCL.  We love the Haven and are wondering if any here have experienced both the Haven and The Retreat.   We are interested in which you preferred - the pros and cons - and why.  I did a search but it is not working for me for some reason.  TIA

• Like 4

1 hour ago, oteixeira said:

I plan on trying Celebrity in the next year or two myself, this is exactly the kind of information I am looking for.  Great post, can't wait for experienced (with both products) cruisers to chime in.

I'll be on the Celebrity Edge Oct 2 - 9th, but in a Single Infinite Veranda. No Retreat (or Haven for that matter) for this solo cruiser; too rich for my blood (having to pay double).

3 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Above link, comment # 3, might be of some help for you.

For clarification,....(post #3 wasn't sure)

Q. Can children dine at Luminae?

A. Yes, all guests of The Retreat may dine at Luminae.

Q. Can children experience The Retreat Lounge?

A. Yes, all guests of The Retreat may enjoy The Retreat Lounge.

Q. Can children experience The Retreat Sundeck?

A. Yes, all guests of The Retreat may enjoy The Retreat Sundeck.

For the OP, it really depends on which NCL ships (Haven) and which Celebrity ships (Retreat) are compared. Just as there are some Havens that aren't "full Haven", there are Retreats that aren't "full Retreat". If going NCL Haven, I'd go for ships after and including Epic. Even then, some Havens are better than others. For Celebrity, the only Retreat for me would be on EDGE, APEX, or BEYOND. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

For the OP, it really depends on which NCL ships (Haven) and which Celebrity ships (Retreat) are compared. Just as there are some Havens that aren't "full Haven", there are Retreats that aren't "full Retreat". If going NCL Haven, I'd go for ships after and including Epic. Even then, some Havens are better than others. For Celebrity, the only Retreat for me would be on EDGE, APEX, or BEYOND. 

Agreed with everything you said. On M class ships for X, there is no kitchen by the Retreat. So if you order food while on the open deck, an attendant literally has to head to the kitchen back by the buffet and bring it across the deck to you. 

If you’re going to try the Retreat, do it right and book an Edge class. 

57 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

For clarification,....(post #3 wasn't sure)

Q. Can children dine at Luminae?

A. Yes, all guests of The Retreat may dine at Luminae.

Q. Can children experience The Retreat Lounge?

A. Yes, all guests of The Retreat may enjoy The Retreat Lounge.

Q. Can children experience The Retreat Sundeck?

A. Yes, all guests of The Retreat may enjoy The Retreat Sundeck.

Haven't been on Celebrity yet, but the Haven starts to shine on the Breakaway & Breakaway Plus category ships where in addition to the private pool, there is a Haven only dining room, lounge, sun deck. The Epic to me is just too weird to be considered as a comparison.

4 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

Haven't been on Celebrity yet, but the Haven starts to shine on the Breakaway & Breakaway Plus category ships where in addition to the private pool, there is a Haven only dining room, lounge, sun deck. The Epic to me is just too weird to be considered as a comparison.

Actually, while Epic was an odd duck, the Haven concept comes from her.  She has all the haven bells and whistles you would expect, and her haven was just totally redone as well (they got rid of the oodball beds and stuff).  I think anything pre-Epic would be a mistake to pay for Haven on (IMHO)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kitty-sail said:

The Epic to me is just too weird to be considered as a comparison.

Epic may be "weird" for some, but the Epic Haven is far and away better than any of the post-Epic ships.

Bigger lounge. Bigger restaurant. Bigger pool and pool area. Much bigger sundeck. And bigger is better here.

Breakaway (+) distant seconds.

• Like 1

On Celebrity save your money and don’t book Retreat. I did on Millennium and regret it as a waste of money. That’s actually a compliment to X as their mainstream product is just so perfect as is and there is no need for the increased service prices. There is no need for a ship within a ship like on BA and BA+ due to number of passengers and crowds, it’s already at a good capacity to sq ft public area ratio. 

That’s just my opinion. I can book two voyages on X in a Verandah or Concierge for what the Retreat Suites cost. I’d rather cruise twice, however if you have unlimited funds, I guess just buy it! That’s not my case. 

Haven still top notch in my world. 

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 6:14 PM, Seany527 said:

Agreed with everything you said. On M class ships for X, there is no kitchen by the Retreat. So if you order food while on the open deck, an attendant literally has to head to the kitchen back by the buffet and bring it across the deck to you. 

If you’re going to try the Retreat, do it right and book an Edge class. 

Millennium Class Sun Deck in summer temps in Carribbean is blistering hot with zero airflow. The hot tub is so hot you can boil pasta in it. The glass has no breaks in it like on BA class, so zero airflow and there are NO UMBRELLAS OR SHADE!!! It’s literally like being on the surface of the sun with humidity! We suffered through and hour and had to go due to feeling some effects of heat exhaustion. Food is limited and drink service weak at best. That was based on June 19 sailing from St Maarten through Southern Caribbean (90s and lots of humidity). Sounds like Edge class much better but they really screwed up the Sundeck concept on M class. Looks nice though, completely unusable. Learned this the hard way. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

On Celebrity save your money and don’t book Retreat. I did on Millennium and regret it as a waste of money. That’s actually a compliment to X as their mainstream product is just so perfect as is and there is no need for the increased service prices. There is no need for a ship within a ship like on BA and BA+ due to number of passengers and crowds, it’s already at a good capacity to sq ft public area ratio. 

That’s just my opinion. I can book two voyages on X in a Verandah or Concierge for what the Retreat Suites cost. I’d rather cruise twice, however if you have unlimited funds, I guess just buy it! That’s not my case. 

Haven still top notch in my world. 

Glad to hear this as I am booked in a Single Infinite Veranda on Celebrity Edge on Oct 2nd!

On 7/10/2021 at 1:33 PM, mertziek said:

We are NCL Platinum Plus Haven travelers and thinking of trying Celebrity.  Not seeing any itineraries right now that appeal to us with NCL.  We love the Haven and are wondering if any here have experienced both the Haven and The Retreat.   We are interested in which you preferred - the pros and cons - and why.  I did a search but it is not working for me for some reason.  TIA

Have you looked into Oceania? After 10 sailings with NCL, and 4 being in the Haven or suites we are trying Oceania. It sounds like the ship is pretty close to one big Haven. Just booked a 10 day in January out of Miami

7 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Have you looked into Oceania? After 10 sailings with NCL, and 4 being in the Haven or suites we are trying Oceania. It sounds like the ship is pretty close to one big Haven. Just booked a 10 day in January out of Miami

Yes we have,

• 7 months later...

Just disembarked NCL Encore on Sunday 3/6/22 stayed in Haven 2 bedroom villa and I’m currently on Celebrity Edge staying in the Retreat (Sky Suite). So my personal honest opinion is that without any hesitation NCL have a more personal touch. The retreat is a seriously bizarre concept for me…The Retreat Sundeck has a small bar, very poor waiter service. You have to go and queue and order your drinks if you want one. Hot food/snacks ….???? well I’m still looking for this area with the retreat 🙈 
NCL Haven has a compact area where everything you need is there. The staff are so attentive, friendly, great people! It is without doubt an amazing concept and they have excelled in providing a great experience for guests. The Celebrity Retreat needs further investment by Celebrity (I.e staff, remodelling, environmental, service) The retreat area (sun deck) is pretty bland…no atmosphere, no music, not my thing! If you need anything you have to go looking, wandering and wandering for yourself…. I just don’t get it….????? 

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 7:09 PM, kitty-sail said:

I would cruise Epic in a heartbeat over the Getaway/Breakaway. Honestly, those Havens sucked. The restaurant was tiny. They got rid of Posh and the Courtyard Grill. It was just tiny and crowded. It would have to be an awesome itinerary for me to ever consider sailing on one of those ships again.