Trudeau says "no"... Ford says "no"....

3Shelaghs

So WTH are we travellers supposed to do, if both officials state "no vaccine passports"???? How do we prove our VAX for international travel???

ARRIVECAN is for return to Canada. I swear these idiots do not want us travelling! Think I will send them my cruise receipt for the Covid cancelled cruise, I'm still trying to take!!!

• Like 1

I believe that Canada will have some sort of national program for proof of covid vaccination that will be recognized by and co-ordinated with other nations and the EU.   It would not surprise me if those sorts of discussions were going on right now.  It is, and will continue to be, a challenge for all countries.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

Ontario has a watermarked vaccine certificate which is accessible for free from the official site and accesses your vaccine records. Difficult to forge.

Accepted for travel.

IMO Trudeau will follow what Biden does. Trudeau has already stated that a vaccine passport would be divisive. Public sentiment will change his mind.

12 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Ontario has a watermarked vaccine certificate which is accessible for free from the official site and accesses your vaccine records. Difficult to forge.

Accepted for travel.

IMO Trudeau will follow what Biden does. Trudeau has already stated that a vaccine passport would be divisive. Public sentiment will change his mind.

can't you just use the email they sent you when you got your final vaccine?

Just now, MStarzky said:

Yes - however the watermark got me .... but I am easily impressed.

It looked more official. Ministry of Health letterhead looks more official.

Personally, I think that travel is the least of my worries when it comes to proof of vaccination. Carrying a slip of paper or a card, depending on your province or territory is a simple matter, and DW and I have ours tucked away in our "real" passports, along with our NEXUS cards, all set for our next trip out of the country. Having to carry a separate "vaccination passport" (vaxport) would be no easier IMO, nor would having an app on my iPhone. Cruise lines will accept - or in fact demand - the original documentation, so a vaxport serves no useful purpose at the current time. That said, and Florida notwithstanding, the international push for some form of global passport may win the day. It will depend largely, I imagine, on the potential agreement date, possible implementation date, and the state of the pandemic. 

Where I particularly support Quebec's stance is the potential use of vaxports should there be a need for future lockdowns. Rather then closing down businesses, many could remain open to customers who can show their vaxport. It's a shame, but not in the least surprising, given Ford and his administration's (mis)handling of the pandemic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MStarzky said:

5 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Yes - however the watermark got me .... but I am easily impressed.

It looked more official. Ministry of Health letterhead looks more official.

Just bear in mind that you need to print out the document. You can't just show them the email on your cell phone.

1 hour ago, MStarzky said:

I wouldn't. It doesn't take much to go and print the watermarked version.

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

Accepted for travel.

For Ontario now, go to:

covid19.ontariohealth.ca

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MStarzky said:

they are making a announcement on july 21 about the border.

The current agreement expires on July 21st.

They will have to make some sort of announcement before then.

(I am not expecting any new changes🙄)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Robjame said:

Accepted for travel.

Did you print it on 8.5 X 11 paper?  I'd like to print it in a smaller format.

4 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I just tried printing it at 35% (which makes it about 3" wide. It is fairly readable still, but I don't think that I would suggest it. Because it is in portrait mode, this would have to be folded still to fit in a wallet. Printing it 3" high which would be wallet sized is not really readable from my inkjet printer.

5 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I did - folded it and put it inside my passport. Another copy is folded in my wallet.

I have a PDF copy on my phone but some have said that they have been asked to show a hard copy.

9 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

The question that arises is will printing in other than the original format be acceptable to the cruise line. Celebrity requires the original document, and won't accept a photocopy, so I don't know what they would do with a shrunken version that is clearly not the original. 

DW and I will present the small cash register-like receipt issued at the vaccination site, but will take with full sized, water marked versions in out carry on bags.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, MStarzky said:

they are making a announcement on july 21 about the border.

I believe they've set up an "every 21st of the month" update schedule.
I'd be surprised to see it open in a week. Perhaps August......

Although it now seems mixed vaxx's and the non-approval of the AZ by the USA are starting to become stumbling blocks for travel - I wonder if that will translate to border openings? 

19 hours ago, MStarzky said:

We didn't get an e-mail in MB.  We were given instructions to wait 2 weeks after our second shot, the go online and apply for a card.  We were also able to put it on our phones.  So I have both - a laminated card from the Province, and as well as it on my phone.  I really don't care what they call it - but I would like all the provinces to have the same official Canadian document.

I hope that for travel at least we ultimately come up with a single proof of vaccination in Canada, but it probably won't be for a while. Meantime, every province is different, and each has different ideas of what proof of vaccination will be used for.

Hmmm, we got vaccinated in the US.  I wonder if I can input that information to Ontario health and get a certificate.  But then we have CDC cards which I would imagine be accepted.  I will keep you posted.

39 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I hope that for travel at least we ultimately come up with a single proof of vaccination in Canada, but it probably won't be for a while. Meantime, every province is different, and each has different ideas of what proof of vaccination will be used for.

Ultimately, there will have to be some sort of document that is universally agreed to  between countries so it will have to be similar to a passport. I am not so sure I would be comfortable if our customs people accepted, for admission to Canada a traveller from the U.S. with only a U.S. passport and a Covid vaccine document from the State of Tennessee. 😉

• Like 1

Just now, Magicat said:

Nope.  Going to the site it reads that I have not received any vaccinations.  So the only way to get this would be to get another round of shots. 

Why would you want to? Any organization requiring proof of vaccination will accept the CDC card. In fact, the CDC card has a far higher level of recognition than the Ontario documentation. Now, if at some future point the Ontario government changes its mind about passports, you might want to ensure that your US vaccination is somehow added to the database, but that's a big "if".

That's what I was thinking.  That if Junior or Dougie decide that there will be a central database that can issue a "Vaccine Passport", I would like to get one in Canada.  Right now the US is not looking at implementing that type of documentation.  I just want to travel and I really don't want our government involved because you know they will mess it up.