Any other options?

Last year I booked a Nov 7, 2021 cruise for my granddaughter and her fiancee as a wedding present.  I figured we would wait and see what was going on with the pandemic and deal with it when Nov rolls around.  Here we are today and approaching the deadline for getting the vaccine in order to sail.  My granddaughter is willing to get the vaccine but her fiancee does not want to.  She really wants to go on this cruise and especially for her honeymoon.  He has never been on a cruise, and wants to go on a cruise.  She has been on one other cruise and has been looking forward to this all year.  The cruise is paid in full, hotel is paid for, and airfare to New Orleans is paid for.  I think they have till the 3rd week in August to get the vaccine to be considered fully vaccinated before the cruise.  

So peeps.....what other options are?  With the way the covid cases are going, it's possible they may shutdown the cruise industry again.  

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Wait a couple months and possibly you can get a refund?

Imo cruises wouldnt be shut down unless they mishandled a outbreak. I dont think they will shut down unless forced.

Agreed.  And the only other options IMO are 1) he gets vaccinated in time to be fully vaccinated by sailing date; 2) he doesn't get vaccinated and they don't cruise.  Personally I think it's disrespectful of your kindness of the wedding gift for him to choose #2, especially considering that everything is paid for.  Things can be cancelled/rescheduled, but it's a big pain to do so.  I wish you the best - I know it's a tough spot you are in. 😔  

• Like 5

Sounds like the decision isn't yours to make.  I agree with LHARTWICK, it seems very disrespectful not only to you but also to your granddaughter.  Unless he has a medical reason not to be vaccinated, he is not a very caring fiance.  Not sure what I would do in your situation, but I think I'd probably be looking at getting as much of my money back as I could.  Perhaps your granddaughter would have more fun cruising with you lol.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

With the way the covid cases are going, it's possible they may shutdown the cruise industry again.  

Ok you mean the way covid cases are going on land.  I see no reason for them to shut down the cruise industry again as you say when they are not the issue this time.  They are probably the safest place to be right now considering all the factors.  Maybe the rest of the country needs to follow their protocols on 95% vaccinated.  Time for the restrictions to hit the ones that matter now.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Ok you mean the way covid cases are going on land.  I see no reason for them to shut down the cruise industry again as you say when they are not the issue this time.  They are probably the safest place to be right now considering all the factors.  Maybe the rest of the country needs to follow their protocols on 95% vaccinated.  Time for the restrictions to hit the ones that matter now.

Amen!  Non-cruisers (and even some cruisers)  think we are crazy for getting on ships right now, but in reality I would feel MUCH safer on a ship than on land.  Think how wonderful it would be to have a 95% vax rate on land?  To the OP again - best wishes with whatever decision you make....which I guess depends on the decision the fiancé makes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Last year I booked a Nov 7, 2021 cruise for my granddaughter and her fiancee as a wedding present.  I figured we would wait and see what was going on with the pandemic and deal with it when Nov rolls around.  Here we are today and approaching the deadline for getting the vaccine in order to sail.  My granddaughter is willing to get the vaccine but her fiancee does not want to.  She really wants to go on this cruise and especially for her honeymoon.  He has never been on a cruise, and wants to go on a cruise.  She has been on one other cruise and has been looking forward to this all year.  The cruise is paid in full, hotel is paid for, and airfare to New Orleans is paid for.  I think they have till the 3rd week in August to get the vaccine to be considered fully vaccinated before the cruise.  

So peeps.....what other options are?  With the way the covid cases are going, it's possible they may shutdown the cruise industry again.  

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

The easiest thing for them to do is get vaccinated.  You did not say why he does not want to but short of a health issue or a religious reason I just don't get it.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

I thought about this as well.  I forgot to mention that they ran a cheers promo and I was able to get them the Cheers package for an extra $200.  If we rebook, the cheers package does not carry over.  Their loss.  

Sounds like you need to swap your name out for his and take a great vacation with you’re granddaughter 😉

He can pay for a land honeymoon that doesn’t require a vaccine if that’s his choice. 

• Like 11

I would have a very serious discussion with the fiancee and if he is so stubborn and selfish to ruin his future wife's happy honeymoon.....

I would cancel and make him pay for all of the cancellation fees that you incur.  From Carnival, the hotel, and the airline.  You may be able to get future credits on the hotel and the airfare, but you should move on this quick.  Since the cruise is November 7, the final payment is not due till around August 9.  Even though you have paid it off early, you can still cancel, or better yet see if Carnival will let you flip it to a future date.  I personally think it should be in 2023 or early 2024.  Then, the honeymoon will fall into his lap.  If there is a problem getting the airfare credit, they can do a land based honeymoon in NOLA for the same dates.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Like others here I don't see a lot of options- refund and do a land based vacation or reschedule the cruise. There's not enough exemption slots for unvaccinated individuals to hope that he'll land one as they'll pretty much all go to children. The CSO expires the 1st of November so there may not be a requirement at that point... but I think cruise lines may go ahead and carry some of the restrictions into the new year gradually increasing first passenger load and then increasing the number of exemptions allowed, followed by eventually dropping the vaccine requirement if there are no problems. Personally I might encourage him to get the vaccination- even the single shot J&J will suffice and just go and have a good time. Travel to many places around the world requires vaccinations of one sort or another and this is just another one at this time. 

• Like 2

Options? Really it's time for you to walk away from this situation. He can either get vaccinated or make the arrangements to postpone the trip. But by not getting vaccinated he is making his bed so he can lie in it now.

I have two mindsets on this. On, one hand, I do think it's selfish that he is not allowing his fiance to go on this cruise due to his unwillingness to get the vaccine. I also wonder if he is considering that option since he isn't losing his money.

On the other hand, this was a gift from you to your grand daughter. Usually once a gift is given (ie, cruise is booked and paid for), the gift giver is done with the transaction. Whether they use the gift or not, they don't owe anything back.

They just need to understand that this is the only gift of this type you are giving them. If they piss away the cost, then you won't pay for another one. Let them be adults and take responsibility for themselves and their actions at this point. He can call Carnival and the airlines and the hotel and see if the trip can be postponed a year. Or if they can get refunds and use the cash towards a land trip. Or he can get his shot and enjoy this lovely gift you gave them. 

• Like 8

I know it's tempting to want to stick it to him but, assuming you want to maintain any type of healthy relationship with your grand daughter once she is married, I would not go this route.

I'm a big fan of the suggestion that you swap his name out on everything with yours. Getting a vaccine is a personal choice for him, any attempts to force him or guilt him into getting one are bound to backfire. Make this a special trip for you and your grand daughter, I have a feeling the 2 of you would have a blast. And, if he sees she will be going anyway, maybe that will be the nudge he need to get vaccinated without the coercion. 

Just my two thoughts.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Brew12 said:

I know it's tempting to want to stick it to him but, assuming you want to maintain any type of healthy relationship with your grand daughter once she is married, I would not go this route.

I'm a big fan of the suggestion that you swap his name out on everything with yours. Getting a vaccine is a personal choice for him, any attempts to force him or guilt him into getting one are bound to backfire. Make this a special trip for you and your grand daughter, I have a feeling the 2 of you would have a blast. And, if he sees she will be going anyway, maybe that will be the nudge he need to get vaccinated without the coercion. 

Just my two thoughts.

Can't do a name swap.  It's the couples honeymoon.  It's either cancel or push it back to 2023 or 2024.

I agree with @Brew12 about keeping the peace. I would try to shift the cruise to another year, cancel the hotel, and get credit for the airfare if that’s really what they would prefer for you to do. 

It’s not worth arguing to be the voice of reason. People have made up their minds. All we can do is carry o and hope for the best at this point.

I won’t lie though I wouldn’t buy them anymore fabulous gifts. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Can't do a name swap.  It's the couples honeymoon.  It's either cancel or push it back to 2023 or 2024.

I can see that side of it, but in this case the gift was given and refused. She should not feel obligated to jump through hoops in order to try accommodate his unwillingness to get a vaccine by changing all the reservations and potentially eating the cost of rescheduling imo.  

• Like 3