It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding

jcpc

14 hours ago, RoamingRetirees said:

Royal just had 6 test positive, 4 vaccinated and 2 unvaxxed minors. Only one had minor symptoms. So it wasn't just one on one ship. It is protecting everyone, not just the unvaccinated.

14 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Seven are now positive on the Edge.  For the poster worried about her children having 4 tests, testing is better than having them exposed to a potentially deadly virus.   If you are taking children on this type of vacation during a pandemic testing should be the least of your concerns.   The test is just a swab in the nose and is not anything to get your children upset.  However, if it was me, I would not be taking my children on a cruise with the Delta variant as it is highly contagious.

It's odd....you have 2 bloggers on The Edge and one reported 2 positive cases the other reported 7...bit different number???

I think the real problem is going to be if they start having crew breakthroughs.

12 hours ago, paulh84 said:

https://ercare24.com/covid-19-test/

15 minute results. I'll DM you my address for the prize. 

Well...I thought you had something there.  I'm in the Texarkana area in the same situation as College Station.  So, I see that that link has a place for TXK!  SCORE..oh wait, not so fast... under schedule appointment section:

"...Please do not sign-up for non-emergent reasons like these: Travel clearance, Day-care clearance, "re-test" to see if you are negative now after testing positive once. If you register for evaluation for these reasons, we may deny you testing at our facility and you will not qualify for a refund of the registration fee... " (no copywrite notice, thank you)

So... my "choice" is CVS PCR only (in Atlanta, TX) and I MIGHT get it back in 1-2 days, but as many as 5, with no guarantee.  I also have a layover of 1.38 mins in DFW, where they have an antigen test, barring no flight delays or long treks across the terminals. Or Plan C hope that FLL airport will test at the baggage claim, even though I'm not boarding but deplaning.  So... in any case, being in the countryside, I have to fly before I get results. Cross fingers & pray that the PCR makes it (day prior flight.) Plan D is hope that Celebrity has antigen available (sailing AFTER the free tests at pier dates), if all else fails.  And it may well expire before embarkation if there is a delay there if I haven't guessed the timing right.

Yeah.  Not EVERYONE can just go get an official test.  However...self test at sam's club $20 for 2, no problem. I already had 2 on hand, which I was planning on using at the hotel before the rule changes.

1 hour ago, imtired1959 said:

Inconvenience?   How about money?  I will not be accepting FCC.  I want cash... for the cruise refund and my flights and hotel.

I am glad that you have the disposable income to fly down to Fort Lauderdale for the night to have dinner and fly back home.

I do not.

For the fourth time:

I agree with the testing.  I disagree with the eleventh hour implementation. 

If you're traveling in the current environment (anywhere), you need to reset your expectations.  Would it have been nice for them to give advance notice?  Sure.  They weren't able to for whatever reason so now you just have to go with the flow, which is a fluid situation that evolves hour to hour.   Any decision like this would have affected some trips more immediately than others, and I think their ability to conduct the testing this weekend is the best compromise you can expect. 

• Like 5

Just now, bEwAbG said:

If you're traveling in the current environment (anywhere), you need to reset your expectations.  Would it have been nice for them to give advance notice?  Sure.  They weren't able to for whatever reason so now you just have to go with the flow, which is a fluid situation that evolves hour to hour.   Any decision like this would have affected some trips more immediately than others, and I think their ability to conduct the testing this weekend is the best compromise you can expect. 

For the fifth time:

Testing: All in favor of.

Timing: They waited until folks were in transit and could not get tested before they left.  They could have easily made this decision based on CDC data from last week. 

I am kicking myself for trusting that Celebrity would not change the rules in the middle of the game. 

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, got a test before I went to the airport.  Then at least I could cancel the cruise, flights and hotel and be out nothing.

All of this will be moot if they don't pull a positive on me.  With the lack of Celebrity communication and irresponsible timing, I am not sure that their rushed testing protocol will prevent any covid infections on the ship.

3 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I’ve read through the posts this morning and can fully understand the frustration, stress, and anger people are expressing. At the same time, I wonder what people were expecting when they booked early in the return to service. Yes, vaccines made a difference, but Delta is forcing us to reexamine what we thought we knew.

We all saw the reports of how it decimated the unvaccinated population of India. We saw the funeral pyres burning constantly. What did we think would happen when it reached the US when we still have many unvaccinated?

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

Does Embarkation for the 72 hours mean the actual departure time or the day of embarkation. Makes a difference. 

Following.  If we embark on Sat. 8/28 at 6pm, but our boarding time is 12:30, can we take the test 12:30 on Wed 8/25 and be cleared? In other words are we being held to the 72 hours or will 3 days before be accepted?   

1 minute ago, Babr said:

I’ve read through the posts this morning and can fully understand the frustration, stress, and anger people are expressing. At the same time, I wonder what people were expecting when they booked early in the return to service. Yes, vaccines made a difference, but Delta is forcing us to reexamine what we thought we knew.

We all saw the reports of how it decimated the unvaccinated population of India. We saw the funeral pyres burning constantly. What did we think would happen when it reached the US when we still have many unvaccinated?

Which is why at least the 95% of us on this cruise are vaccinated. India does not have access to the vaccines.  We do and yet half the population remains unvaccinated. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, imtired1959 said:

For the fifth time:

Testing: All in favor of.

Timing: They waited until folks were in transit and could not get tested before they left.  They could have easily made this decision based on CDC data from last week. 

I am kicking myself for trusting that Celebrity would not change the rules in the middle of the game. 

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, got a test before I went to the airport.  Then at least I could cancel the cruise, flights and hotel and be out nothing.

All of this will be moot if they don't pull a positive on me.  With the lack of Celebrity communication and irresponsible timing, I am not sure that their rushed testing protocol will prevent any covid infections on the ship.

This is morning-after quarterbacking though.  You don't know if Celebrity wanted to do this earlier in the week but were overruled by the corporate parents.  Or maybe the opposite: they thought it unnecessary but were overruled.  I also think there is a stark difference in the "middle of the game" rule changes related to health & safety versus regular onboard experience. We are talking about leisure travel in the middle of a pandemic that is still evolving here.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

This is morning-after quarterbacking though.  You don't know if Celebrity wanted to do this earlier in the week but were overruled by the corporate parents.  Or maybe the opposite: they thought it unnecessary but were overruled.  I also think there is a stark difference in the "middle of the game" rule changes related to health & safety versus regular onboard experience. We are talking about leisure travel in the middle of a pandemic that is still evolving here.

They had the data. If they delayed the decision shame on them.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, imtired1959 said:

Which is why at least the 95% of us on this cruise are vaccinated. India does not have access to the vaccines.  We do and yet half the population remains unvaccinated. 

Yes. Perhaps the flaw in the thinking is that the vaccinated would be unaffected by those who are not.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dorh said:

Following.  If we embark on Sat. 8/28 at 6pm, but our boarding time is 12:30, can we take the test 12:30 on Wed 8/25 and be cleared? In other words are we being held to the 72 hours or will 3 days before be accepted?   

I posted this same question on one of these threads. Looks like International airlines dropped the 72 hour requirement, instead went to a simple three days prior to departure. Your boarding date is not counted. So if your departure is on the 5th as an example, your testing window starts on the 2nd thru the 4th. Using the 72 hour also has a lot of confusion when different time zones come into play. Celebrity should adapt the airline policy. Much simpler. 

28 minutes ago, runningtide said:

I posted this same question on one of these threads. Looks like International airlines dropped the 72 hour requirement, instead went to a simple three days prior to departure. Your boarding date is not counted. So if your departure is on the 5th as an example, your testing window starts on the 2nd thru the 4th. Using the 72 hour also has a lot of confusion when different time zones come into play. Celebrity should adapt the airline policy. Much simpler. 

Yes, Thank you. Never thought of different time zones.  We are on the east coast and our cruise is leaving from FL.  Hope this gets clarified before our Aug. 28 sailing.   

This may have been covered by others, if so I apologize.

We are scheduled on Millennium in August and just received an email from Celebrity that indicates only unvaccinated guests between the ages of 6 months and 16 (age 12 after August 1) will be required to present a negative test (which will be complimentary at the port).  All other guests will need to present verification of vaccination (e.g. CDC document).  Also, the email indicates that no masks will be required onboard.  Local rules will determine masking at ports.

So, for now at least, the rules for Seattle remain the same as they have been for some time.

Perhaps the requirement for Ft. Lauderdale stems from the current case levels in Florida and the inability to require passengers to be vaccinated.  I guess you can thank Governor DeSantis.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

We are scheduled on Millennium in August and just received an email from Celebrity that indicates only unvaccinated guests between the ages of 6 months and 16 (age 12 after August 1) will be required to present a negative test (which will be complimentary at the port).  All other guests will need to present verification of vaccination (e.g. CDC document).  Also, the email indicates that no masks will be required onboard.  Local rules will determine masking at ports.

So, for now at least, the rules for Seattle remain the same as they have been for some time.

Perhaps the requirement for Ft. Lauderdale stems from the current case levels in Florida and the inability to require passengers to be vaccinated.  I guess you can thank Governor DeSantis.

We're also sailing on the same ship next month (8/27) and also just got the email, but there is a paragraph that says this just before the one you quoted:

"All guests over the age two, regardless of vaccination status, will now be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within 72 hours of embarkation. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as all associated costs."

So, it would be interesting to see who has gotten the correct information!

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jgmorgan said:

But I am not sure I would want to leave it up to chance if the cruise lines hatch this at the last minute, a lot of testing sites won't guarantee test results in time for travel.  However if they do it at the pier it would be a huge help.

And I've always thought the DeSantis plan was a disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dorh said:

For us the word embarkation is the key word (i.e., when we check-in). Our scheduled check-in time is Aug 7th between 12-12:30 EDT. So if we get the antigen test anytime after 2 pm CDT (3 pm EDT) on Wednesday, we should be fine.

"All guests over the age two, regardless of vaccination status, will now be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within 72 hours of embarkation. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as all associated costs."

• Like 1

My sister and BIL are at the FLL terminal waiting to board their Villa Suite.  She just sent me this text about the nightmare there this morning. This was sent at 12:50 EDT time. They were not informed about the mandatory new testing until this morning.

"We are here in line with 2000 people. Last minute Covid test for all. We got here at 11:30 as told to do and have been in line since. They will not even start testing until 1:30. Does not matter what class you are in, there are hundreds of people in front of us. No place to sit in the sun. My back already hurts, this sucks"

She then sent another text:

"Now we are being told there are some passengers that are refusing to leave the ship. The police have been called to remove them. Nothing happening until the a*******s are removed"

What a mess, why didn't Celebrity wait a week to implement this new policy?  I am sure this will still be a problem tomorrow for people getting on the Equinox.

1 hour ago, _Rick_ said:

Line is now 3 deep wrap and we haven’t moved. Embarkation was at noon. 

The geniuses in FLL must not have taken notes from the Apex Athens embarkation agents, where antigen tests are being conducted at the pier without undue delay, according to reports from travelers