It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding

jcpc

2 hours ago, LuvCruzn4Evr said:

Our Walgreens's and CVS's require appointments but have none available for the rest of the day.  We used Walgreens for our May trip to Hawaii and had an appt and it was easy peasy and had results in one hour.  Hopefully, there's an exception for this weekend's sailings as the Celeb rep said there was.   I'm fine if they require one at the port.  Well, lets clarify fine as long as I'm not asymptomatic and don't know it.  😟  Delta variant has become quite a concern even for those of us vaccinated.

Did you also have no pay? Do you need to present your insurance card? Thanks.

2 hours ago, RoamingRetirees said:

Yes. I just got that too. See you all tomorrow.

44 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

So, they should let you cruise despite testing positive? Or not test so you can cruise because not knowing when someone is positive is better or safer?

Or are you saying Celebrity should not adopt new emergency protocols because there are always people who have cruises in the next few days?

Do you really think Celebrity should guarantee everyone's hotel and flights when they test positive? International flights, too? Perhaps luxury hotels?

Yes, I think they should guarantee everyone's flights and hotels.  They had plenty of time to change the rules (72 hours) for folks to get tested before they boarded their flights.  Changing the rules 19 hours before check in because one passenger on the previous cruise had covid is way over the top.  Once again, we are protecting the unvaccinated who have chosen this path.

False positives should really worry people.

Edited by imtired1959
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, imtired1959 said:

Changing the rules 19 hours before check in because one passenger on the previous cruise had covid is way over the top.

If you think one case is why, you may have missed the rest of the news about the Delta variant being easily transmissible even by vaxxed persons, about the cases of vaxxed pax on other cruises, and a whole bunch of other information concerning why so many new protocols are being adopted throughout the country.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, seapad said:

Did you also have no pay? Do you need to present your insurance card? Thanks.

Yes, we had to present our insurance cards.  We weren't charged anything.

Edited by LuvCruzn4Evr
clarification
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, imtired1959 said:

Yes, I think they should guarantee everyone's flights and hotels.  They had plenty of time to change the rules (72 hours) for folks to get tested before they boarded their flights.  Changing the rules 19 hours before check in because one passenger on the previous cruise had covid is way over the top.  Once again, we are protecting the unvaccinated who have chosen this path.

False positives should really worry people.

Royal just had 6 test positive, 4 vaccinated and 2 unvaxxed minors. Only one had minor symptoms. So it wasn't just one on one ship. It is protecting everyone, not just the unvaccinated.

Seven are now positive on the Edge.  For the poster worried about her children having 4 tests, testing is better than having them exposed to a potentially deadly virus.   If you are taking children on this type of vacation during a pandemic testing should be the least of your concerns.   The test is just a swab in the nose and is not anything to get your children upset.  However, if it was me, I would not be taking my children on a cruise with the Delta variant as it is highly contagious.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I would think so.  Here's the requirement:

"This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within 72 hours of embarkation. "

I think that’s for the later sailings, my email only mentions antigen testing and someone posted it in entirety, just above, ,post 81. I would guess they left it out either an oversight or because they assumed no one could get a PCR back that fast - it helps when you are the Med Director of the lab…

Negative tests and Delta upgrades in hand, we are leaving tomorrow!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I think that’s for the later sailings, my email only mentions antigen testing and someone posted it in entirety, just above, ,post 81. I would guess they left it out either an oversight or because they assumed no one could get a PCR back that fast - it helps when you are the Med Director of the lab…

Negative tests and Delta upgrades in hand, we are leaving tomorrow!

Enjoy your cruise.  Please send some trip reports if you get a chance.

18 minutes ago, RoamingRetirees said:

Royal just had 6 test positive, 4 vaccinated and 2 unvaxxed minors. Only one had minor symptoms. So it wasn't just one on one ship. It is protecting everyone, not just the unvaccinated.

Celebrity also caters to the "older" crowd (e.g., lack of fun activities for children).  So chances of spreader events would be minimal.  So my statement still stands.  99.5% of the folks who are in the hospital with covid are unvaccinated. 

33 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

If you think one case is why, you may have missed the rest of the news about the Delta variant being easily transmissible even by vaxxed persons, about the cases of vaxxed pax on other cruises, and a whole bunch of other information concerning why so many new protocols are being adopted throughout the country.

99.5% of the folks who are in the hospital with covid are unvaccinated

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, imtired1959 said:

99.5% of the folks who are in the hospital with covid are unvaccinated

94% here in hotspot land, as of today… A few of those 6%, though were hospitalized for other things and became symptomatic in the hospital, not quite the same thing, but they have to be isolated, etc

• Like 1

I may be a nerd on this but is the 72 hours from the time you check in or just 3 days prior to sail date?  I am setting up an appointment for us for our Sept 5 cruise and currently all time slots are open on September 2.    

• Like 1

I like the idea of testing. I just don't like the idea of having to rely on Walgreens or CVS to get my results right away. This time last year it was taking 2 weeks to get results. When I went to CVS in March it took 3 days for me to get my results.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

I may be a nerd on this but is the 72 hours from the time you check in or just 3 days prior to sail date?  I am setting up an appointment for us for our Sept 5 cruise and currently all time slots are open on September 2.    

This far out, go for as late on 9/2 as possible, if they have slots after departure time  (6 pm??).

2 minutes ago, qoap24 said:

I like the idea of testing. I just don't like the idea of having to rely on Walgreens or CVS to get my results right away. This time last year it was taking 2 weeks to get results. When I went to CVS in March it took 3 days for me to get my results.

A walk in urgent care facilty might be quicker.

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

The 72 hour requirement is distinctly different from 3 days. I have not seen anything that defines the clock. I’d have to go back to the email to see the language. It may have said embarkation, but that is not precise either. I think it would be a good idea to make the appointment for later in the day.

6 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Seven are now positive on the Edge.  For the poster worried about her children having 4 tests, testing is better than having them exposed to a potentially deadly virus.   If you are taking children on this type of vacation during a pandemic testing should be the least of your concerns.   The test is just a swab in the nose and is not anything to get your children upset.  However, if it was me, I would not be taking my children on a cruise with the Delta variant as it is highly contagious.

Respectfully, these comments are not helpful.

I know that my kids get upset over the test because they have been tested twice in the last couple of months.  Each was an ordeal.  They hated it.  And as a result, we may choose to not do our trip.  It's a bummer, but it's life.

Regarding the risks.  In the last 18 months, per CDC, 282 kids ages 5-18 have died due to COVID.  That's tragic, and I can't imagine going through it.  I am, and encourage others to get vaccinated.  But empirically, my kids have a greater risk of death on our drive to the pier than from COVID.  We have, and continue to do a ton to protect them for COVID - so please don't take my response as nonchalant.   I'm trying to do right my by kids. 

Sources, are listed here: https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-Focus-on-Ages-0-18-Yea/nr4s-juj3/data   https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/children-covid-19-and-vaccines  https://www.cdc.gov/transportationsafety/child_passenger_safety/cps-factsheet.html#:~:text=In the United States%2C motor,more than 97%2C000 were injured. 

• Like 2

We had a lab PCR test done at San Francisco airport where we had results in 20 minutes.   They had the special lab machines there and we waited, outside the airport in a seated area, until our results came through.   The results were digitally uploaded to United and to Hawaii.   Most major airports have these facilities.   Our tests were expensive $200 each but that was back in Feb.

• Like 1