Live from the Majestic Princess at last! August 1 2021 to Alaska

pkt1976

@Jeter02 - you and others have mentioned calling Room Service to arrange your mini bar swap.  Do they not allow that to be done via Crew Chat on the app?  We are on next week and that's a matter of business I usually take care of on day one, putting the phone on speaker and waiting for someone to pick up.  On some ships the stewards have been able to take care of it too but not always.  Just trying to figure out the best way to get this accomplished in the new age of cruising!  Keep enjoying your cruise 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Thanks. I've talked to a lot of the head officers and stuff and pretty much a lot of them I have all set the same thing where a maiden voyage when you're starting from a brand new ship it's so much easier to get started. Whereas here they're picking up all the pieces from being on a pause it's a whole different ballpark really. I think they're just trying to figure themselves oh and how to run more efficiently and whatever it is. I just kept telling them that it was okay because I know everyone is trying to get shall we say the veins of the ship back up and running. 

Thank you for taking the time to report. Hope you are enjoying yourself. Are you going to dine in Crown Grill or Harmony?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Thanks. I've talked to a lot of the head officers and stuff and pretty much a lot of them I have all set the same thing where a maiden voyage when you're starting from a brand new ship it's so much easier to get started. Whereas here they're picking up all the pieces from being on a pause it's a whole different ballpark really. I think they're just trying to figure themselves oh and how to run more efficiently and whatever it is. I just kept telling them that it was okay because I know everyone is trying to get shall we say the veins of the ship back up and running. 

Your posts are greatly appreciated! Any insight into the capacity of upcoming Alaska sailings? I was a bit surprised that it increased from 60% to 75% on these first two sailings. I imagine it would be helpful for both the crew and passengers to work any kinks out at a reduced capacity. 

10 minutes ago, redrobin said:

Your posts are greatly appreciated! Any insight into the capacity of upcoming Alaska sailings? I was a bit surprised that it increased from 60% to 75% on these first two sailings. I imagine it would be helpful for both the crew and passengers to work any kinks out at a reduced capacity. 

We're on next Sunday's sailing, Aug 8. Looks like we'll be pretty full. The MC app is showing 3300 passengers. Since there are 1,780 cabins on Majestic, that's 3,560 if they all have two passengers. I'd say reduced capacity is over after the current sailing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kml246 said:

We're on next Sunday's sailing, Aug 8. Looks like we'll be pretty full. The MC app is showing 3300 passengers. Since there are 1,780 cabins on Majestic, that's 3,560 if they all have two passengers. I'd say reduced capacity is over after the current sailing. 

I wonder if they're just not using the inside cabins. Anyone out there with a inside cabin?

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

@Jeter02 - you and others have mentioned calling Room Service to arrange your mini bar swap.  Do they not allow that to be done via Crew Chat on the app?  We are on next week and that's a matter of business I usually take care of on day one, putting the phone on speaker and waiting for someone to pick up.  On some ships the stewards have been able to take care of it too but not always.  Just trying to figure out the best way to get this accomplished in the new age of cruising!  Keep enjoying your cruise 🙂 

Unfortunately the crew chat hasn't worked to me on my app for whatever reason. But crew chat actually just directs you to someone at guest services as they're working with people who are physically in person, as they're also chatting with you at the same time. Everything just goes through room service. I don't really think there's an easier way to go through it that's why I just did it my old fashioned way which is the same as yours. Call and put it on speaker and wait for someone to answer from room service to place my order. But usually on day one I luckily last use cruiss including this one did not have to wait it was an immediate pickup.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sunrise2sunset said:

Has anyone had the experience of just changing out just the beer in their minibar?  Has it been the same experience as getting the water?  

Should be absolutely no problem just called the room service department and tell him what you want to exchange it out for.

21 minutes ago, sunrise2sunset said:

Has anyone had the experience of just changing out just the beer in their minibar?  Has it been the same experience as getting the water?  

Before the drink package I always changed it for 10 beers for me and 10 sprite zeros for her. Now I give everything away to crew.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

For those on board, are they implementing mask requirements?  This just got updated in the FAQs for our cruise next week and I'm wondering if all is well onboard the current cruise.  Sure hope so!

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/

image.png.7fe7e002b9fd634d89ba00ac34116bf6.png

Masks are optional so you can do whatever your comfort level is, as they are definitely not mandatory. This Cruise most people are not wearing masks there's a small percentage who are just by choice. The only time it's recommended (not enforced) is they do have signs in the elevator that says no more than one to six passengers at a time in the elevator and they do ask that you wear a mask out of respect as crew members need to wear them and they suggest you do too. However if you decide to go to ashore you absolutely do have to wear a mask as it is mandatory. 

All crew 💯% are required to wear their masks at all time.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SaltwaterDaffy said:

Before the drink package I always changed it for 10 beers for me and 10 sprite zeros for her. Now I give everything away to crew.

You can change alcohol for soda, water or beer, spirits. You can only change soda and water for soda and water 

29 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

For those on board, are they implementing mask requirements?  This just got updated in the FAQs for our cruise next week and I'm wondering if all is well onboard the current cruise.  Sure hope so!

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/

Additionally, all cruises departing 8/15 and later WILL REQUIRE a negative PCR or antigen test 72 hours prior to boarding. 

From the princess.com website FAQs updated today, clipped slightly for length:

If I’ve received the COVID-19 vaccine, am I also required to have a pre-travel COVID-19 test performed 72 hours prior to boarding the ship?

Yes, effective with cruises departing on August 15th, we will require ALL fully vaccinated guests to produce a negative, medically-observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings.

Fully vaccinated guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test along with proof of full vaccination upon arrival in the terminal and can then proceed onboard. Please note that testing in the terminal will not be available for vaccinated guests, so it’s critical that you have your negative test results with you upon your arrival. We will not be able to accommodate guests without proof of a negative test.

Guests who received a vaccination exemption are still required to take a negative PCR test within 3 days prior to embarkation and will be tested again in the terminal prior to boarding the ship and again within 24 hours of debarkation (for itineraries five days or longer). Unvaccinated guests will continue to be charged $150 per person for testing and administration.

Edited by Chai8
Adding antigen
  • Like 1

after reading the replies about the mini bar; I will retract my comment about adding the mini bar request in the app.  I did not know that the mini bar is only for elite and suites.  I defer to what Jeter02 said; wait until things calm down and call room service to have it swapped out.  

• Like 1

Good Morning from Skagway!  I know I'm coming in a little late, however this is the first time I have gotten my laptop out.  We have had an amazing trip so far.  The crew have been absolutely incredible.  You can tell that everyone is very excited to be back!!  

We started our trip on Sunday, arriving in Group A.  Many people tried to get on the ship at 11:30, however most of them got asked to wait in another area. Boarding was very unorganized, which is not normal for Seattle.  I think they are just working out all the kinks still.  Once on board we waited for rooms to be ready in the Crown Grill bar.  Around 1pm they announced staterooms were ready and we went up to unpack and settle in.  Our luggage got split up and my husbands luggage took 2 hours longer than mine to arrive.  We were starting to get nervous, but were very relieved when it finally showed up.  Sunday night we had dinner at the Crown Grill.  The steaks were amazing, and the creamed spinach was incredible as always!  We really enjoyed it!  We met up with Neville and discussed the possibility of the Chef's Table.  He was going to see what he could do.  

Monday was our first sea day.  We went down to suite breakfast, which is held in Harmony.  The food is absolutely incredible!  We are getting up early everyday just for that breakfast!  Our dedicated server, Ruiz is so funny and so kind!  After breakfast we had a couple's massage with Luchie and Sherill. We were very happy to see that they have limited the upselling.  They were incredible!  We loved it so much that we booked another one for Tuesday!  After the massage we went back to the room for a shower and nap time.  We got up in time for Afternoon Tea, which is one of my favorite times of the day!  The little sandwiches are soooo good!!! The evening we went to Sur Le Mer for dinner.  For appetizers my husband had the Eggs Florentine, and I had the Lobster Bisque.  My husband said the Eggs Florentine was one of the best things he has ever had in the ship!  The Lobster Bisque is served in authentic French style, in a large bowl with this amazing puff pastry cooked over the bowl!  It was an incredible presentation!!! After dinner we spent some time at Ocean's Terrace Bar.  Fabian, Roshan, and Alisha are the bartenders there and they are incredible!  We have had Fabian as a bartender on our Canada New England cruise and his drinks are amazing!!!

Tuesday, yesterday, was almost a carbon copy of Monday.  We had our suite breakfast and massage in the morning again.  We arrived in Juneau a little late, but chose to get Alfredo's pizza while everyone was shuffling off the ship.  The pizza was so good!  After lunch we spent a couple hours walking around the town.  We found a store called Shoefly, and fell in love with it.  The people are so nice!!! My husband picked up a pair of boots that are nice enough to wear to dinner.  The night we ate in the dining room.  The crab and artichoke dip, along with the chicken bites were sooooo good!!! We met up with Neville again and found out that he got us on the Chef's Table for Thursday night!!!  I'M SO EXCITED!!!!  I can't wait!!!!  

We are off to the Alaska Christmas Store in Skagway.  I will update more later.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, CruiseChick33 said:

Good Morning from Skagway!  I know I'm coming in a little late, however this is the first time I have gotten my laptop out.  We have had an amazing trip so far.  The crew have been absolutely incredible.  You can tell that everyone is very excited to be back!!  

We started our trip on Sunday, arriving in Group A.  Many people tried to get on the ship at 11:30, however most of them got asked to wait in another area. Boarding was very unorganized, which is not normal for Seattle.  I think they are just working out all the kinks still.  Once on board we waited for rooms to be ready in the Crown Grill bar.  Around 1pm they announced staterooms were ready and we went up to unpack and settle in.  Our luggage got split up and my husbands luggage took 2 hours longer than mine to arrive.  We were starting to get nervous, but were very relieved when it finally showed up.  Sunday night we had dinner at the Crown Grill.  The steaks were amazing, and the creamed spinach was incredible as always!  We really enjoyed it!  We met up with Neville and discussed the possibility of the Chef's Table.  He was going to see what he could do.  

Monday was our first sea day.  We went down to suite breakfast, which is held in Harmony.  The food is absolutely incredible!  We are getting up early everyday just for that breakfast!  Our dedicated server, Ruiz is so funny and so kind!  After breakfast we had a couple's massage with Luchie and Sherill. We were very happy to see that they have limited the upselling.  They were incredible!  We loved it so much that we booked another one for Tuesday!  After the massage we went back to the room for a shower and nap time.  We got up in time for Afternoon Tea, which is one of my favorite times of the day!  The little sandwiches are soooo good!!! The evening we went to Sur Le Mer for dinner.  For appetizers my husband had the Eggs Florentine, and I had the Lobster Bisque.  My husband said the Eggs Florentine was one of the best things he has ever had in the ship!  The Lobster Bisque is served in authentic French style, in a large bowl with this amazing puff pastry cooked over the bowl!  It was an incredible presentation!!! After dinner we spent some time at Ocean's Terrace Bar.  Fabian, Roshan, and Alisha are the bartenders there and they are incredible!  We have had Fabian as a bartender on our Canada New England cruise and his drinks are amazing!!!

Tuesday, yesterday, was almost a carbon copy of Monday.  We had our suite breakfast and massage in the morning again.  We arrived in Juneau a little late, but chose to get Alfredo's pizza while everyone was shuffling off the ship.  The pizza was so good!  After lunch we spent a couple hours walking around the town.  We found a store called Shoefly, and fell in love with it.  The people are so nice!!! My husband picked up a pair of boots that are nice enough to wear to dinner.  The night we ate in the dining room.  The crab and artichoke dip, along with the chicken bites were sooooo good!!! We met up with Neville again and found out that he got us on the Chef's Table for Thursday night!!!  I'M SO EXCITED!!!!  I can't wait!!!!  

Now that's a post 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@CruiseChick33 - Wonderfully informative post!! I sail next week. I just assumed the suite breakfast would be in the Crown Grill, not Harmony. Would welcome any additional observations about Club Class dining, the Riviera deck VIP Lounge, or any other suite perks. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, redrobin said:

@CruiseChick33 - Wonderfully informative post!! I sail next week. I just assumed the suite breakfast would be in the Crown Grill, not Harmony. Would welcome any additional observations about Club Class dining, the Riviera deck VIP Lounge, or any other suite perks. Thanks!

When we were in a suite on the Majestic in October 2019 the suite breakfast was in the Crown Grill so this is definitely a recent change.  Sounds like it's just as wonderful as ever!  We didn't opt for a full suite next week so we will just have to live with the memories of the wonderful staff who greeted us with mimosas and yummy food to start our day.

3 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

3 hours ago, Chai8 said:

Additionally, all cruises departing 8/15 and later WILL REQUIRE a negative PCR or antigen test 72 hours prior to boarding. 

From the princess.com website FAQs updated today, clipped slightly for length:

If I’ve received the COVID-19 vaccine, am I also required to have a pre-travel COVID-19 test performed 72 hours prior to boarding the ship?

Yes, effective with cruises departing on August 15th, we will require ALL fully vaccinated guests to produce a negative, medically-observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings.

Fully vaccinated guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test along with proof of full vaccination upon arrival in the terminal and can then proceed onboard. Please note that testing in the terminal will not be available for vaccinated guests, so it’s critical that you have your negative test results with you upon your arrival. We will not be able to accommodate guests without proof of a negative test.

Guests who received a vaccination exemption are still required to take a negative PCR test within 3 days prior to embarkation and will be tested again in the terminal prior to boarding the ship and again within 24 hours of debarkation (for itineraries five days or longer). Unvaccinated guests will continue to be charged $150 per person for testing and administration.

Two steps back, IMO.  Glad am not rushing off to take a cruise this year.  Would not want to wear a mask all over the place, and don't see why it would be required ashore as the locals don't have to wear masks outside (I can see it for some interior places).  As for the test, a Canadian would need one to fly internationally.  I suppose not required domestic US, so another pain for fully-vaccinated folks.  I wonder what they will do about guests on 8/8 who may be doing a B2B on 8/15?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseChick33 said:

We met up with Neville and discussed the possibility of the Chef's Table.  He was going to see what he could do.  

Who is Neville?  Is the Chef's Table announced in advance and bookable with the Medallion, or do you have to be "in the know" to get a reservation?

1 hour ago, CruiseChick33 said:

After breakfast we had a couple's massage with Luchie and Sherill. We were very happy to see that they have limited the upselling.  They were incredible!  We loved it so much that we booked another one for Tuesday! 

Are spa bookings available on the Medallion in advance of sailing?

32 minutes ago, eyelash said:

Who is Neville?  Is the Chef's Table announced in advance and bookable with the Medallion, or do you have to be "in the know" to get a reservation?

He is the Director of Restaurant Operations on Majestic - the MD in other words.  It's up to him largely when/where/if a Chef's Table or WineMakers' Dinner is held.  It isn't announced much in advance if at all.  Yes, you need to be "in the know" to get your name down on the interested list and then hopefully you get the invite if done soon enough and they are doing one.

Love Christmas stores! What did you buy?

2 hours ago, CruiseChick33 said:

Love Christmas stores! What did you buy?