Live from the Majestic Princess at last! August 1 2021 to Alaska

pkt1976

31 minutes ago, Cali Viajera said:

Love Christmas stores! What did you buy?

Love Christmas stores! What did you buy?

We are on this cruise every year and have made it a tradition to get a Christmas ornament from Farnon's Christmas Store in Skagway.  This year we got 2 ornaments and a beautiful blown glass candle holder. My internet is not working well right now, so I will see if I can post pics later.

• Like 4

We are back on board after spending a couple hours in Skagway. There are a couple of new things this year that I wanted to point out. The Klondike Doughboy and Gifts is brand new, locally owned and operated, and serving up Elephant Ears (Fry Bread) and authentic shaved ice. They are delicious!!! They also have a great gift store area. They are on 3rd.

The second thing is Klondike Electric Bike Company. For those of that don't know,  downtown Skagway is a bit of a hike from the dock. You can grab the shuttle at the end of the pier to downtown,  and then rent electric bikes to go see the whole town. It about 20.00 an hour. We chose not to on this trip, but probably will next year. They are on 5th. 

Now, it's time for Afternoon tea! Please excuse me while I go gorge on mini sandwiches and snacks!! Afterwards, I believe a nap will be in order!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, mringenoldus said:

Other earlier passengers have reported many closed shops in Skagway - have you found this as well? Thanks!

Yes, unfortunately there are quite a few closed stores. They expect some to reopen next year, bit many are closed for good.

Thank you!

26 minutes ago, CruiseChick33 said:

We are on this cruise every year and have made it a tradition to get a Christmas ornament from Farnon's Christmas Store in Skagway.  This year we got 2 ornaments and a beautiful blown glass candle holder. My internet is not working well right now, so I will see if I can post pics later.

33 minutes ago, CruiseChick33 said:

We are back on board after spending a couple hours in Skagway. There are a couple of new things this year that I wanted to point out. The Klondike Doughboy and Gifts is brand new, locally owned and operated, and serving up Elephant Ears (Fry Bread) and authentic shaved ice. They are delicious!!! They also have a great gift store area. They are on 3rd.

The second thing is Klondike Electric Bike Company. For those of that don't know,  downtown Skagway is a bit of a hike from the dock. You can grab the shuttle at the end of the pier to downtown,  and then rent electric bikes to go see the whole town. It about 20.00 an hour. We chose not to on this trip, but probably will next year. They are on 5th. 

Now, it's time for Afternoon tea! Please excuse me while I go gorge on mini sandwiches and snacks!! Afterwards, I believe a nap will be in order!

The e-bikes that Klondike is renting are made by RadPower. They are AWESOME! That rental price is a steal. Even someone in not terribly good condition can tool around on one of these things and have a grand time. 

41 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Pre-covid you needed to register your desire to attend the Chef's Table either, 1) go to Pax Svcs and ask for your name to be on the list, 2) ask the Head Waiter or Maitre D' to put you on the list, or 3) call the dine line.

Apparently, right now there's no guarantee that a CT will be done. The reports from the first Alaska cruise were that they basically begged/browbeat/threatened Neville at the M&G. He wasn't going to offer one initially, but there were enough at the M&G to fill a table (it's 10 or 12 diners) and they convinced him.

Neville and I have become buddy buddy since day one of the screws. He told me that he will most definitely be doing chef tables and the wine makers table every cruise. He's very excited to be able to offer all of these wonderful opportunities to everyone on board. As always it's dependent on how many people inquire and request about it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Neville and I have become buddy buddy since day one of the screws. He told me that he will most definitely be doing chef tables and the wine makers table every cruise. He's very excited to be able to offer all of these wonderful opportunities to everyone on board. As always it's dependent on how many people inquire and request about it.

Would you be able to get his contact info please? Asking for a friend 😄 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

They will be, just got an "emergency notification" from Princess.  Covid testing for vax passengers as well.

We're scheduled on the 8/15 sailing. Now that Princess has put in a pre-boarding testing requirement and mask mandate in public areas, I'd like to know what the protocols are for you LIVE off-ship, in-port. Are masks being required in shops, restaurants, excursions, etc.? In Juneau? In Skagway? Please let us know about Ketchikan too once you get there. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, ABTM101 said:

We're scheduled on the 8/15 sailing. Now that Princess has put in a pre-boarding testing requirement and mask mandate in public areas, I'd like to know what the protocols are for you LIVE off-ship, in-port. Are masks being required in shops, restaurants, excursions, etc.? In Juneau? In Skagway? Please let us know about Ketchikan too once you get there. Thank you!

My email says for August 15/21 on, require masks indoors except to eat, drink, on excursions , embark etc. It is posted on Princess website 

21 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Room service serves the Ultimate Balcony Dinner…would you know if that’s still an option? If I missed a reply to an earlier question about the UBD then my apologies for repeating the question.

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

just got an "emergency notification" from Princess.  Covid testing for vax passengers as well.

We received the same emergency notification from Princess for our August 29th cruise. Attaching a copy of the notice we received.

6A74EAA1-AF97-4243-8979-9A1EDBC447C4.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 007colocruz said:

My email says for August 15/21 on, require masks indoors except to eat, drink, on excursions , embark etc. It is posted on Princess website 

Thank you for your reply. We thoroughly read the email regarding on-board requirements starting 8/15. If you read my question, I was asking guests who are on the 8/1 sailing now what they are experiencing in port and if there have been any noticeable changes on the ship even though the directive came out for 8/15 and beyond. Thank you.

27 minutes ago, ABTM101 said:

Yes, we got emails but prior to our boarding that if you decide to go ashore at any of the ports you will need to be masked up if it is mandatory. If you do have an excursion you will be asked to be messed up during the transportation portion and depending on what your excursion is if it's an outdoor activity they may or may not let you take your mass down according to that email we have received.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

We received the same emergency notification from Princess for our August 29th cruise. Attaching a copy of the notice we received.

6A74EAA1-AF97-4243-8979-9A1EDBC447C4.jpeg

Safety first! I'm all about protecting not just ourselves but our wonderful crew as well.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jeter02 said:

Yes, we got emails but prior to our boarding that if you decide to go ashore at any of the ports you will need to be masked up if it is mandatory. If you do have an excursion you will be asked to be messed up during the transportation portion and depending on what your excursion is if it's an outdoor activity they may or may not let you take your mass down according to that email we have received.

Thank you! We appreciate you sharing your experiences even though in these times, things are changing minute by minute. Enjoy your cruise!

35 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@JF - retired RRTthat was me who organized the CT. But I reported it was more of a wink and a smile. I would never browbeat or threaten Neville!!!

and he did say that after getting the clearance for ours he would continue to offer them. I may have missed saying that. 

I realize the new masking policy states that masks aren't required when eating but one has to wonder if they will allow that many strangers to sit in such close proximity for the Chef's Table.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Room service serves the Ultimate Balcony Dinner…would you know if that’s still an option? If I missed a reply to an earlier question about the UBD then my apologies for repeating the question.

Not sure to be honest. It's definitely not on The Medallion app for you to make any form of reservations for it that way. And I don't believe I saw it on the cruise personalizer to add as a reservation pre Cruise. I'm sure I can ask Neville for you this evening whether or not they are offering that during this time.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

I realize the new masking policy states that masks aren't required when eating but one has to wonder if they will allow that many strangers to sit in such close proximity for the Chef's Table.

At this Cruise for breakfast or lunch in the main dining room and if you don't have a nightly reserved table in the dining room for the evening they do always ask if you would like to share a table or not with others. I heard prior to the cruise restarting in general that they were going to do the whole safety protocol of no one sharing tables and interming outside of your traveling party. So it will be interesting to see whether or not they will now enforce that or not but I feel like with all the added protocols coming up on that August 15th cruise with the testing policy and the math policy they still may allow you to sit and close proximity and share tables if you desire. As I say do at your own risk that's the reasoning for these contact tracings. I can happily tell you there has been no cases as of yet on this current sailing which is fantastic news of course. I say let's keep the streak going folks.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CruiseChick33 said:

Good Morning from Skagway!  I know I'm coming in a little late, however this is the first time I have gotten my laptop out.  We have had an amazing trip so far.  The crew have been absolutely incredible.  You can tell that everyone is very excited to be back!!  

We started our trip on Sunday, arriving in Group A.  Many people tried to get on the ship at 11:30, however most of them got asked to wait in another area. Boarding was very unorganized, which is not normal for Seattle.  I think they are just working out all the kinks still.  Once on board we waited for rooms to be ready in the Crown Grill bar.  Around 1pm they announced staterooms were ready and we went up to unpack and settle in.  Our luggage got split up and my husbands luggage took 2 hours longer than mine to arrive.  We were starting to get nervous, but were very relieved when it finally showed up.  Sunday night we had dinner at the Crown Grill.  The steaks were amazing, and the creamed spinach was incredible as always!  We really enjoyed it!  We met up with Neville and discussed the possibility of the Chef's Table.  He was going to see what he could do.  

Monday was our first sea day.  We went down to suite breakfast, which is held in Harmony.  The food is absolutely incredible!  We are getting up early everyday just for that breakfast!  Our dedicated server, Ruiz is so funny and so kind!  After breakfast we had a couple's massage with Luchie and Sherill. We were very happy to see that they have limited the upselling.  They were incredible!  We loved it so much that we booked another one for Tuesday!  After the massage we went back to the room for a shower and nap time.  We got up in time for Afternoon Tea, which is one of my favorite times of the day!  The little sandwiches are soooo good!!! The evening we went to Sur Le Mer for dinner.  For appetizers my husband had the Eggs Florentine, and I had the Lobster Bisque.  My husband said the Eggs Florentine was one of the best things he has ever had in the ship!  The Lobster Bisque is served in authentic French style, in a large bowl with this amazing puff pastry cooked over the bowl!  It was an incredible presentation!!! After dinner we spent some time at Ocean's Terrace Bar.  Fabian, Roshan, and Alisha are the bartenders there and they are incredible!  We have had Fabian as a bartender on our Canada New England cruise and his drinks are amazing!!!

Tuesday, yesterday, was almost a carbon copy of Monday.  We had our suite breakfast and massage in the morning again.  We arrived in Juneau a little late, but chose to get Alfredo's pizza while everyone was shuffling off the ship.  The pizza was so good!  After lunch we spent a couple hours walking around the town.  We found a store called Shoefly, and fell in love with it.  The people are so nice!!! My husband picked up a pair of boots that are nice enough to wear to dinner.  The night we ate in the dining room.  The crab and artichoke dip, along with the chicken bites were sooooo good!!! We met up with Neville again and found out that he got us on the Chef's Table for Thursday night!!!  I'M SO EXCITED!!!!  I can't wait!!!!  

We are off to the Alaska Christmas Store in Skagway.  I will update more later.  

Congratulations! You found my favourite shoe store. I buy a pair of funky shoes there every time I'm in Juneau. And I come from a large city in Canada. Sadly, no cruise for me until 2022. Love the selection in that store. I'm happy to know that the store is still there, in Juneau. Woo hoo!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, caribill said:

Freudian slip?

The Wi-Fi hasn't been the strongest so it's not being friendly In letting me edit my oh So glorious voice to text responses on here. I never learned my lessons where I need to go back and reread them before I hit submit. My apologies 🤣

Quick and short answer... you're going to need to be masked up at all time if you're off the ship and during excursions we're going in the shops or whatever it is that you're doing ashore. During your actual excursion not including the transportation portion of it they may let you take your mask off depending what activity you're doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1