Cruise carry on bag

Methosage

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

My "carry on bag" holds clothing, toiletries, jewelry roll and shoes.   

Do you also have a checked bag? If so, what clothing do you put in your carry on. And shoes? 

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Everything I need for a week long cruise can fit in my 21" Carry on and a small shoulder bag.  That's it. Hey I'm a guy.

Are you averse to checking bags?

9 hours ago, clo said:

Do you also have a checked bag? If so, what clothing do you put in your carry on. And shoes? 

Yes, I thought I mentioned it in an earlier post (maybe not) but I use the same luggage for every cruise, no matter the itinerary........1 checked bag and 1 carry on.

What do I put in my carry on? Well, I always fly to my destination at least day early so I bring at least 2 sets of clothing (it is just something I do) and if something ever happened to the checked bag, I would have some clean clothes for a couple of days. I pack my toiletries and jewelry in the carry on as well. And yes, shoes, I usually pack a pair of loafers and sandals in the carry on too.  Oh, sleepwear goes in there as well. And the outfit I am wearing to board the ship. 

• Like 2

I use a smaller carry-on, the kind that can fit under the seat if needed (on international flights, anyway....). 

What goes in it are the things I'd find hard to replace in a short time should my checked bag go missing. This includes one extra pair of shoes (comfortable walking shoes in my size are not always easily available), at least one extra top and set of underwear/socks, any necessary documentation/travel info, my macbook pro, any chargers or adaptors, a few other basic things like a full-sized hairbrush, and a few pieces of jewelry that I travel with. I might also toss in a few protein bars.

My phone, Kindle, money/credit cards and any medications needed are in my purse.

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I use a smaller carry-on, the kind that can fit under the seat if needed (on international flights, anyway....). 

What goes in it are the things I'd find hard to replace in a short time should my checked bag go missing. This includes one extra pair of shoes (comfortable walking shoes in my size are not always easily available), at least one extra top and set of underwear/socks, any necessary documentation/travel info, my macbook pro, any chargers or adaptors, a few other basic things like a full-sized hairbrush, and a few pieces of jewelry that I travel with. I might also toss in a few protein bars.

My phone, Kindle, money/credit cards and any medications needed are in my purse.

Hi Cynthia🙂oh yes, undergarments are in my carry on too......(those would be included with my "clothing").  I think I got that from my parents actually. They loved to travel as well and my Dad would always say, pack some extra clothing in that carry on bag......so it is always something that just stuck with me.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:25 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Reminds me of when I was entering the US from Canada and presumably because of my long hair and long beard had my luggage checked.When the Officer found a plastic bag with white powder he had a smile on his face but that turned to a frown when he discovered it was Coffee Mate.

That must have been fun.  I've had my backpack checked at airport security, but never had luggage opened like they do in the movies.  I guess I look pretty harmless.  

We went through security countless times at home and in countless countries.

After all that time only one station caught a metal nail file that had fallen into the lining.  In Hanoi.  Their x-ray picked it up and the security folks would not let us pass until it was recovered and disposed of.

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

That must have been fun.  I've had my backpack checked at airport security, but never had luggage opened like they do in the movies.  I guess I look pretty harmless.  

The Customs Officer had a hand on his gun before tasting the coffee mate.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The Customs Officer had a hand on his gun before tasting the coffee mate.

Probably a good thing you didn't make a run for it.  😀

I suppose there is some kind of profile they look for.   Used to be long hair & dress.  I wonder what it is now.  

7 hours ago, iancal said:

We went through security countless times at home and in countless countries.

After all that time only one station caught a metal nail file that had fallen into the lining.  In Hanoi.  Their x-ray picked it up and the security folks would not let us pass until it was recovered and disposed of.

Always handy to have in case you need to saw thru the bars.  Just sayin. . . 😀

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Probably a good thing you didn't make a run for it.  😀

I suppose there is some kind of profile they look for.   Used to be long hair & dress.  I wonder what it is now.  

Perhaps there is a Customs Inspector who posts on CC who will tell us.

• Like 1

I had this experience last month actually.......I took a cruise to Greece and on my way home, after going through the normal security, I was up in the area that is in the terminal where you go to your gate.......

well, it seems I got "picked"........😲...they would not let me go to my gate.....(this was in the Athens airport).  First they wanted to see my boarding pass and passport....then they decided they wanted me to put my carry on a table they had there....and opened it up and also wanded me down again.......

And they took my boarding pass☹️.......they gave me a story that the US has certain rules to follow?

Give me a break, I was in Athens and I am sure the US does not tell them how to do things in their airport.😲......they finally gave me back my passport and boarding pass and told me I could close my carry on and then I walked over to my gate........NOT a pleasant experience.

As for profile.....I am in my 60s and I have short hair that is kind of salt and pepper now.......more pepper but I do have some grey in there now. 

On 8/5/2021 at 5:26 AM, Lois R said:

Yes, I thought I mentioned it in an earlier post (maybe not) but I use the same luggage for every cruise, no matter the itinerary........1 checked bag and 1 carry on.

What do I put in my carry on? Well, I always fly to my destination at least day early so I bring at least 2 sets of clothing (it is just something I do) and if something ever happened to the checked bag, I would have some clean clothes for a couple of days. I pack my toiletries and jewelry in the carry on as well. And yes, shoes, I usually pack a pair of loafers and sandals in the carry on too.  Oh, sleepwear goes in there as well. And the outfit I am wearing to board the ship. 

I'd like to make a comment regarding lost bags. My husband traveled for business pretty much all of his career and he and I did a lot also. And we've never had a bag go awry at all. As far as "sleepwear" we both sleep au naturale 🙂 That saves some space. LOL.

7 hours ago, clo said:

I'd like to make a comment regarding lost bags. My husband traveled for business pretty much all of his career and he and I did a lot also. And we've never had a bag go awry at all. As far as "sleepwear" we both sleep au naturale 🙂 That saves some space. LOL.

I know more people who have had lost (some permanently) or damaged bags than not. Not surprising if you have ever seen how they are handled.

8 hours ago, clo said:

We all have to do what is best for ourselves. I like cotton. 

9 hours ago, clo said:

I'd like to make a comment regarding lost bags. My husband traveled for business pretty much all of his career and he and I did a lot also. And we've never had a bag go awry at all. 

I've had a bag take a "walkabout" for a few days (or would that be a "flyabout"?) but only on the homeward journey, thank goodness. So far....

I was on a small group tour of Egypt a number of years ago where 2 people out of 10 did not get their luggage on arrival in Cairo. The poor guide had daily consultations with Egypt Air (some were epic, judging from the gesturing and thunderous Arabic we could overhear) but the couple were never able to get their bags until the very end of the tour, when we arrived back in Cairo again. For 14 days they had to make do with the clothes on their backs, a few "loaners" and a couple of touristy t-shirts. 

They were so nice and "go with the flow" about it though. Nothing was going to ruin their trip. Their experience taught me to pack at least enough in my carry-on to make two different day outfits (so one can wash and wear alternately). It also taught me to exhibit grace under pressure and 'not sweat the small stuff". Fussing and grumbling would've served no useful purpose and would have changed the complexion of the trip for them (and probably for us as we traveled every day in a small van!).

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

I had this experience last month actually.......I took a cruise to Greece and on my way home, after going through the normal security, I was up in the area that is in the terminal where you go to your gate.......

well, it seems I got "picked"........😲...they would not let me go to my gate.....(this was in the Athens airport).  First they wanted to see my boarding pass and passport....then they decided they wanted me to put my carry on a table they had there....and opened it up and also wanded me down again.......

And they took my boarding pass☹️.......they gave me a story that the US has certain rules to follow?

Give me a break, I was in Athens and I am sure the US does not tell them how to do things in their airport.😲......they finally gave me back my passport and boarding pass and told me I could close my carry on and then I walked over to my gate........NOT a pleasant experience.

As for profile.....I am in my 60s and I have short hair that is kind of salt and pepper now.......more pepper but I do have some grey in there now. 

A someone who traveled overseas a fair amount in the years right after 9/11, I can say that I found such "secondary checks" to be very common. It almost became second nature. I never knew whether it was my name that triggered it or just because I was, in fact, traveling frequently to a variety of different places that gave them pause, but I remember it happening in Paris and Amsterdam as well as JFK, ATL and a couple of other gateway cities. 

Copenhagen also gave DS and I a VERY thorough twice-over, calling us back before we got to our gate because they wanted to go through our checked luggage (which I guess they had preliminarily x-rayed after check-in). They basically tore my suitcase apart. I think the issue was that there was some kind of metal "support" in the interior of the bag that kept the sides from buckling -- they didn't like it at all but eventually convinced themselves it wasn't a weapon!  Again, thank goodness we were on our way home because all my careful packing would've been for nothing.

Those aren't even the worst. Thailand was up there. But El Al takes the cake re: intimidation. I got sent to a special room and "interrogated", prior to boarding flight to Israel, regarding passport stamps from Syria and Lebanon in particular.  By the time they were done, they had almost convinced ME that I had nefarious purposes!

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Haha 1

I've never had luggage go astray, but my 2-year-old's car seat went from Raleigh to Newark instead of St. Louis. I could have left without a bag (I was staying in STL), but not the car seat. By the time we figured out it wasn't coming and got to baggage claim, the discussion went something like:

My daughter's car seat didn't show up.

Mrs. Newport? It went to Newark and it's on the way. Should be here in about an hour.

They knew about it before I got to the counter, and we pretty matter-of-fact about it. We waited an hour or so and it showed up. They hand-carried it out to us.

I can never convince my husband to split pack our checked bags with clothes for both in each. He thinks it's silly. I always pack a couple of clothing changes in my carryon as well as all documentation, electronics, camera, and meds. Plus, we usually sail Princess, so we can carry less and use the self-service laundry on board.

21 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

I can never convince my husband to split pack our checked bags with clothes for both in each.

Does he have a reason for that? Seems pretty straightforward to me.

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course, if he ever did have a bag go missing - or even significantly delayed - he’d come around quickly.

As would we...but we haven't.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Does he have a reason for that? Seems pretty straightforward to me.

He just doesn't see a need for it, no matter how much I try to explain it to him. It would actually be to his benefit--He's 6'4" and I'm a foot shorter, so my clothes take up a lot less room, especially shoes. 👞

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Fear of cooties?    

Of course, if he ever did have a bag go missing - or even significantly delayed - he’d come around quickly.

Then he'd have to admit that I was right. 😆

Many years ago when we flew from Anchorage to Vancouver with our puppy (had to fly in cargo at that time), she landed in Seattle. You better believe the airline had her on the next flight to Vancouver, even though she had started out in Anchorage with mild sedation.

Haven't cruised before, but this is what is going in our backpacks.

1. Camera and GoPro

2. Work computer in the worst case scenario we have to quarantine at the end

3. Passport, vaccination cards, and covid test paperwork along with all other cruise printouts

4. 1 additional full day of clothes (shorts, shirt, swimsuit)

5. Medications

6. Prescription sunglasses