Drinks Package Questions

JohnScot

Hi, I am thinking of getting the drinks package for a September Iona 7 day seacation. This is our first P&O cruise. Having cruised with other lines I did the calculation based on the water, coffees, cocktails, beer and wine we would consume and it was 50/50 on cost. Decided on getting it as our experience on other lines is that there is no signing of tabs if you have the package.

Can some of the P&O regulars confirm a few points.

1. Is there any signing of tabs at the bar with or without the package

2. Surprised to see canned soda not included, this is unusual, is it correct. Are the siphon soft drinks ok

3. Surprised again to see that you can't order double measures, is this implemented. Surely if a double measure is within the £6.95 limit then you can decide to have seven doubles rather than 15 singles to use up your 15 drinks a day limit.

4. I take it that the 15 minutes between drinks does not apply to non alcoholic drinks as I tend to get a few bottles of water at a couple of bars on the road back to the cabin.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

If it’s 50/50 I wouldn’t buy a drinks package, Especially if you enjoy cocktails.  Looking at some of the Iona photos posted from the last couple of days there are a lot of interesting looking cocktails not covered by the package. 

It’s all table service on the Seacations no ordering directly at Bars.  You place your card on the table, the server doesn’t touch it and there is no signing required. 

siphon Diet Coke was fine, but if you prefer cans another reason not to buy the package if you are 50/50. 

you are correct terms and conditions state single measures.  I don’t have any experience with using the package, so can’t help with regards doubles or water.  However, I have seen passengers abuse the situation so wouldn’t be surprised if it was restricted.  Once whilst waiting to disembark in port, a chap with the package proceeded to keep returning to the water for sale table, present his card and collect water for free for all of his travelling group. 

Thanks, very helpful. I am still considering. If you get a double it can only be for you, 2 singles means you could share. Still don't see the logic of no doubles if it costs less than the maximum price.

It would be a pity if responsible cruisers lost out because of abusers. I have no time for those who share drink (even water) with non package friends.

We go on Iona in October, never been on Pando before ( usually RCI) and very surprised to see it state you can only order single measures if you buy drinks package- I too was wondering if this is enforced? Seems strange as a cocktail may have 3 shots in it yet this seems to be ok! 

I haven’t personally used the package but believe it is only restricted to singles.

For ,me I mainly drink cocktails and  spirits with mixers (don’t drink beer and normally not wine on holiday as I don’t like to mix drinks).

So for me as much as I’d normally prefer a drinks package, it’s really limited for me especially now many cocktails have been excluded from the package.  
Not that I’m a big drinker, but it means a single (25ml too unlike most other cruise lines where its 35ml) and also I’d be restricted to draught mixers, which are quite limited.  
frustrating as I prefer to not have to worry about paying for the drinks,  but just too restricted options for me 😑

1 hour ago, jammer1000 said:

We go on Iona in October, never been on Pando before ( usually RCI) and very surprised to see it state you can only order single measures if you buy drinks package- I too was wondering if this is enforced? Seems strange as a cocktail may have 3 shots in it yet this seems to be ok! 

That will be why very few cocktails are now part of the drinks package.

I am also a spirit and mixer person and don't take cocktails. I didn't know it was 25ml, that's worse, not sure I can make 25ml last 15 minutes then wait another 10 minutes for the waiter to bring the next one.

Looks like I will give the package a miss and just order doubles.

While I can easily make a RCI drinks package work in my favour, I certainly can't say the same for the P+O one.   It does feel like they knew they had to have a package but didn't really want to so they make it so restricitive and expensive to avoid people actually taking it.

1 hour ago, JohnScot said:

I am also a spirit and mixer person and don't take cocktails. I didn't know it was 25ml, that's worse, not sure I can make 25ml last 15 minutes then wait another 10 minutes for the waiter to bring the next one.

25ml is the standard measure used in the majority of UK pubs although some do serve 35ml but personally I have never been in one that has served 35ml.

Edited by majortom10

1 hour ago, Dinglebert said:

While I can easily make a RCI drinks package work in my favour, I certainly can't say the same for the P+O one.   It does feel like they knew they had to have a package but didn't really want to so they make it so restricitive and expensive to avoid people actually taking it.

If Princess can offer a package that includes drinks, wifi, and crew gratuities for £30 per day, it does make you think that P&O are not really trying to sell the drinks package.

35 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If Princess can offer a package that includes drinks, wifi, and crew gratuities for £30 per day, it does make you think that P&O are not really trying to sell the drinks package.

I have heard it said many times by P&O passengers that they don’t like the idea of all inclusive drinks being available, while others say why doesn’t P&O move with the times. So P&O is just seeming to please everybody.

3 hours ago, JohnScot said:

On our cruise on Ventura the waiter soon became well trained and came back to me every 14minutes to get my card and then bought me a drink straight back so depends how well the bar staff like you 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well P&O are like a previous poster said there trying to please everyone, if they go down the all inclusive route like marella, you will get endless second hand comments about someone friend twice removed as seen someone drunk onboard, than you will get the I only drink mountain spring water so why should I pay for the extra and not use it.

My beloved doesn’t drink alcohol so the package is of now use to me unless she can knock back 15 pints of coke a night.

10 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Well P&O are like a previous poster said there trying to please everyone, if they go down the all inclusive route like marella, you will get endless second hand comments about someone friend twice removed as seen someone drunk onboard, than you will get the I only drink mountain spring water so why should I pay for the extra and not use it.

My beloved doesn’t drink alcohol so the package is of now use to me unless she can knock back 15 pints of coke a night.

Ha ha! with over 20 cruises on P&O and Marella in all its incarnations I have seen as many drunks on P&O and some really obnoxious ones as well. Maybe I tend to frequent lower class venues 😉

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

Ha ha! with over 20 cruises on P&O and Marella in all its incarnations I have seen as many drunks on P&O and some really obnoxious ones as well. Maybe I tend to frequent lower class venues 😉

Not as low as me I regularly eat and drink in Wetherspoon’s and I have been on a marella cruise

• Haha 2